Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0"

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0"

8.0" 4G and 8.0" Wi-Fi

Perfect mid range tablet

Very good tablet for the price. I still have this tablet. It is not very fast but you get what you pay for. It is inexpensive and daily use tablet.

Purchased in November 2016 at Optus for $384.00.

Gr8 android

Reliable and easy to use for the kids and link to gmail account. Kids use it gor games and mathonline. They love it much easier then ipad. More reliable.and would recommend it.

Purchased in May 2019 at Bing Lee Physical store for $290.00.

Pretty Useless, ok for kids

Features are poor, runs slowly and does not support a stylus, decent as a kids throw away if you can get it at a good enough size, would not recommend for any other purpose

Purchased in March 2018 at optus.

Battery Life
We're really sorry to hear of the troubles you have been facing with your Tab A. As you have mentioned it's running slow, we would suggest having our technicians assess the device to confirm it is running within manufacturers specs. Here's a link to locate your nearest service centre. >https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Bookings> http://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/bookings/#/ Don't have time to visit or can't get to one of our Service Locations? You also have the option to drop it off at your local Australia Post office: https://cybersvc2.samsungcsportal.com:90/samsungcare/au/index Sara Samsung AustraliaHi Sam, thanks for providing your feedback. We're sorry you are not a fan of this product. While our Galaxy Tab A Series do not come with an S-Pen, our Galaxy Tab S4 does. I have included a link below for your reference. >https://www.samsung.com/au/tablets/galaxy-tabs4-t830/SM-T830NZKLXSA/ Lisa Samsung AU

What's the point?

What's the point of buying a tablet if you can't even log into it? I have gone through 3 of these tablets since the end of November, each has had the same issue, I have been using it go away to do something else and then I can't log into it. This is a faulty product, each has lasted around 2 months before breaking, I've returned each one, this was the last one I was going to try and it worked fine until about an hour ago, now I can't even log into it. Samsung needs to fix this issue, as it is a frustrating and a pain to keep having to return them. I also left a review for the Samsung Northland store, where I was told that the only way to fix my tablet was to pay $60, not good customer service.

Purchased in November 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $300.00.

Speed
Thanks for reaching out to us, we’re really sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far. We’d be more than happy to investigate further into this – Our best point of contact is to send us a PM on Facebook with a copy of this review and some more information. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Definitely a good buy at the price.

My old tablet finally died and I got the new Tab A from JB. Better screen and faster than the old one. Great for streaming and browsing. Definitely a good buy at the price.

Purchased in January 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $298.00.

Neat little tablet.

I bought this tablet second hand unopened for $100. Far from amazing but is sufficient for a multimedia tablet.

Pros:
-Good battery life (due to lower res)
-Runs Oreo
-Runs smooth and reliably as a multimedia tablet
-SD Card and SIM slots.

Cons:
-Just a standard HD display
-Not a particularly sensitive display
-Small screen for a tablet
-Low internal space much less than 16GB
-Poor cameras
-Permanent hard navigation buttons
-Not really great for high spec games
-Can't see/locate navigation buttons in poor light (my biggest gripe, ended up painting dots on buttons with a marker)

Most of the cons are due to known specifications so if you still buy it you can't really complain. You couldn't compare it to flagship phone rather a lower end mid range device.
I would recommend this tablet if you can find it for the right price.

Purchased in December 2018.

Speed
Thank you for leaving your feedback on the Samsung Galaxy tab A Chris, we do apologise that the tablet wasn’t able to meet your expectations but thank you for your time as we will be passing this feedback on internally. If you have any questions, you can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

A very Apologetic Customer Service "Team" of "Speciallist" Excuse Makers

[I note your notice
"Listing monitored by samsung representatives" below my review on here.
Pitty the ceos dont monitor all the complaints before one takes the step of airing samsung's "Dirty laundry" via this reputable platform].

I'm amazed (and somewhat gobsmacked) that 90 percent of reviews on here are POSITIVE!

If theres trouble with one of two identical tablets purchased one can assume its a rotten apple in the bunch, but to have TWO with the same problems with their software outlined below, one begins to SMELL RAT!
And the rat's stench is even stronger when Samsung refuses to address the issue!
Which is the bigger rat!!!

I have made the mistake of purchasing two of these samsung "SMT-355Y Galaxy tab A" temperamental misfits,
(Android version 7.1.1, security patch level 1 august 2017).
Build dates: 23 june 2017 emeisv 07 and 22 august 2017 emeisv 06.

The biggest sd card these can handle (although inconveniently not specified in any of their documentation) is 256gig!
Persons at technical support even give one differing answers to the maximum size sd card one can use because it is not documented anywhere... (crazy but true).
These tablets use the android (google) platform.
There is 11.07gig of space on the internal storage card of which samsung/google use about 6gig for god knows what.

You get 2gig of Memory of which SAMSUNG and bedfellows (C.I.A) GOOGLE use 1.2 gig plus to run its shoddy BACKGROUND software, making it difficult for one to go into websites with alot of 'active' content, gif and flash file content etc.
Takes ages to browse through The Good Guys website for example waiting for everything to load because these vermin are using most of the ram for THEIR benefit!

Speaking of which, SAMSUNGs third world software does not even play GIF images!!
Check these things folks before you purchase their showpony Galaxy S10.

Processors are slow, takes forever to even delete one gigabite of data on the emeisv 06.
Takes ages to transfer data, folders and especially movies from the internal storage to the sd storage, even transferring movies to folders within the sd card at times is a slow process; again, slow or "Tired" processing power.

One constantly does battle with the spellchecker continually changing what you type!
I type in "The hollies" and these clowns give me "The jollies", after re-typing "The hollies" it finally gives in!! What more can one say...
You cannot turn this (so called) "Feature" (being unable to use expletives) off!
It's a ripe royal pain in the peter dutton!!!!

Samsung only do updates on the software for these tablets to accommodate advertisers or google!
(not for the customers who have purchased outright these items for our private use, and I emphasize our private use).

These are nothing more than an advertising platform to fill samsung's pockets and probably fill google's intel collection database!
(I cite the recent case of the $6.8 billion google was fined by the european courts for its mobile app's hanky panky with the europeans being the only country to take them to the cleaners thus far. Search yahoo for "Google fined billion europe court" for all the nitty gritty).

Speaking of which, SYNC pops up all the time after reboot with "too many contact deletions" ever since all my PERSONAL PRIVATE 380 odd contacts were COPIED last June or July.
I have tried to delete these unwanted, unrequested copies of my Personal private information ever since to no avail.
Again pushing thick pea soup through a thin plastic straw with Samsungs technical support, and Im not giving up on this!

SAMSUNG (or its main bedfellow GOOGLE) are'nt messing with this lil' duck's PRIVATES!!!
This is still being investigated.
I urge anyone with privacy concerns similar to these to contact the Privacy Commissioner or/and a good pro-bono lawyer!
I also STRONGLY urge folks that want to back up their contacts by copying the "contacts" under Apps to USB not let Google upload a (so called) back-up to its servers.
Remember, This is your personal information we are talking about here! and email addresses can be sold on by companies for up to 2 bucks a pop (or more) these days!

Samsung wont update their media player to play certain movie and music formats, or provide common audio and video codecs to play all media eg m4a vob mov avi aac mpeg 1,2 mkv etc.

Then there's the audio codecs!
Some mp4 files that do play visually on these have audio codecs that are not supported on these tablets yet these same files play quite happily on the crappy cheap and nasty konka r8a mobile phone!
(see my review on here on konka r8a to get a picture of just how sad this really is)

The media player does not show all my music files, where other non samsung players do!
The last media player update they did was for the benefit of spotify!
Not to benefit the customer.
Again, I have been on to customer support about this to no avail.

Samsung adding insult to injury recently updated
Smart switch a program that was working fine and did everything it was meant to do.. It did - really!

Before they stuffed it up with the recent update, we knew the size of the files being transferred and the rest of it, no connection problems between the other samsung tablet or crabby konka, no drop off's, and now... Sweet diddly squat!

Now several times after the update I'm having trouble connecting up smart switch between my two tablets.
I get the "Try again" treatment.
At times after numerous attempts when one finally succeeds in getting the two tablets together one or the other disconnects!
What a joke!

Quite a few times since this so-called update I'm rowin up the ross river with tenis rackets trying to transfer movies from one smt355y to my other smt355y!
They are both the same tablet, the only difference is one's build date is one month older than the other, and before this update on smart switch I never had any problem!

I do not use blutooth to transfer files and music from one tablet to another because it is so slow!

Also,

When you transfer some music files and especially some pdf files via bluetooth from one tablet to another the names change! They lose their (dot)pdf and (dot)mp4 etcetera at the end of their file names which by-the-way have changed to a number now!

Also,

In their contacts they give us an 8 inch screen yet when we hit the contact we are after, the left full half of the screen still shows up all the contacts you did not choose!
W h y ?
Because of this on the right hand half of the screen we only have 1 (one) iddy-biddy inch of space (horizontal use) (yes one inch of the eight) under the chosen contacts photo to scroll the phone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses and websites etcetera.
You know how annoying that is!

All other non samsung contact apps, when you hit the desired contact that contact's details takes up the major portion of the page!
Unlike with samsungs rubbish, all the other contacts that you did not choose do not inconveniently take up half the page!!

With non samsung contacts apps you have the full 8 inches to comfortably view all the numbers etc, not one inch!

This was another matter I continually reported to samsung to no avail.
They were just not interested.
There have been 4 updates for contacts since and non have addressed this issue.
Obviously common sense plays no part in the development of samsung apps.

Then theres the wifi.
My tablets are connected to the internet via wifi from my phone.
Everytime I reboot the phone or tablets one must physically reconnect the wifi, the "Auto reconnect" is a tempramental feature (for want of a better word) that seldom works properly at the best of times even with all my tablets phones etc etc within a 10 foot desk radius!!
The WiFi connection from my phone to these tablets cuts out a lot and when I check the WiFi it says "Authentication Error", which is very strange as this happens on both tablets at different times for no reason.
Like a couple of samsung's other programs on these tablets, they seem to get their "Monthly's" on a daily basis!!

I have so many other beefs with these "I-dont-give-a-hoot" samsung mob that I won't have the space to outline them all via this platform!

I have contacted customer support many many many times about getting them to update their software (like microsoft and other reputable caring companies do all the time), to no avail.

All you get is sorry, sorry, sorry and yes - more sorry!
Their eyes and ears are closed to our complaints.
We purchased their "Product" now we can go to hell is their motto!

I recently purchased thousands of dollars worth of fisher and paykel pidgeon pair fridge freezer, washing machine, heat pump drier etc (see upcoming reviews after I get a chance to use them all for a while after I get back on me feet).

The salesman at the good guys here in townsville tried to sell me samsung washers etc!
(yeah right).
As I explained, if one gets the same level of attention and satisfaction from samsung after buying one or more of their white goods as you do after buying two of their tablets they're not worth a cracker to me!

I showed him on my tablet the troubles im having with samsung tablets (with other customers looking on) and one really did not have any need to clarify too much after that I can tell you!
I will not even look in the direction of any samsung product in the future!
I have written samsung off as a bad joke, (a punishment from god) and am waiting for a (non apple) alternative to replace these, and this at a time where today's mobile phone or tablet is tomorrows paper weight, I dont mind waiting!

I would also like to add that I have video evidence to back everything I have stated above, I only wish I could show all you folks reading this what I continually show others here in townsville and other mediums.
See some of my videos here
and go to my profile page and you can see more.

(And MORE proof for Product Review.com.au of ownership of these bundles of joy one hopes).

Im in the process of uploading about 30 videos about thes tablets software issues that Samsung refuse to fix onto a website that will be able to show them in HD, as they lose 80 percent clarity in YouTubes upload and conversion process.

For the months of anguish these corporates have caused me, when next in Sydney these tablets of mine will transform into "Special tablets" for certain samsung ceos, and the good ol' aussie slang term of "Gettin it up em" will have a whole new meaning after I'm done, then they'll have one "Eye" wide open to future complaints, and I shant be wasting any money on vaseline for that privilege!

Wont be no "Sorrys" from me either!

I have enclosed a hi res photo of my two tablets showing tablet info including my IP address and Tablet serial numbers etc.

UPDATE 18 MARCH 2019,
One has noticed a lack of reply of any description from "Samsung representatives that are monitoring this listing" (as stated above and below).
WONDER WHY?????

Peter
Townsville

Purchased in March 2018.

Speed
Hi Peter, I want to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. We've sent you a PM requesting for more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? Lisa Samsung AUIn resonse to you private message: "Hi peter, I want to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. We've sent you a pm requesting for more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? Lisa Samsung au" Response Time for talk has finished, enough is enough! Contact india, they'll know all my details, cant be too many of us from townsville that have contacted them numerous times! I have contacted your customer support countless times and all one gets is sorry, sorry, sorry! Numerous times one has asked your indian call centre (technical support) people to contact head office and get someone to call me, all fallen on deaf ears! Only now does one get your attention, when one is at the end of his tether! At times I heard your technical support laughing at me in the background whilst going off at them about your shoddy software. Laugh now!! This is why one takes action via this platform and youtube and everywhere else once can post his damming tell-tale videos in cyberspace, including in the comments section of every samsung galaxy s10 advertisement and review on youtube and elsewhere! When one gets his website up and running there will be about 40 such videos (to date). One will be a thorn in samsung's butt till the day one dies. This is what you get for your arrogance and refusing to communicate with your customers. Now I'm laughing! Lap it up!!!!!

Very handy little device, perfect for around the house mobile internetsing

Picked up a new Galaxy Tab A 8 through a telstra deal and we're extremely happy with it. Share it with the wife and we both use it for easy internet access and apps throughout the house. Screen is sharp and easy to read, plenty of processing power to run all the apps we need and has a sleek and shiny finish!

Date PurchasedJan 2019

It does the job!

I use this tablet for work and sometimes watching movies. I use a few apps and it doesn't get used as much as my phone, The screen clarity is exceptional and the battery lasts a really long time which I love. It only gets charged once a week. The only issue I have is I haven't found a way to connect a keyboard, and sometimes when you click in a field to add text the keyboard doesn't pop up or is very slow to respond.
I do believe I could take to samsung and have fixed but haven't done so.
The screens are very expensive to replace in comparison to apple devices so put a case on it.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Samsung Tab A

Samsung Tab A is perfect for my kid to use. Just the right size (8 inches) not too big not too small for my 6 yr old to play with. Weight wise it is also excellent - not heavy for a 6yr old. it also has good battery life for my kid to play with it for a long time and charging time is also not an issue, as it charges fast.

Because it is android, it has heaps of apps for kids and easily connects to PC and TV (screen mirroring) so it is great connectivity wise.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Excellent tablet for convenience

Nice device to use and carry about not too big but plenty of real estate to use and see at great ease. Battery life is very good as well. Crisp and clear screen with great automatic contrast and brightness control takes care of changing things when you move into a dim room.device speed is get too.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great handy Tablet

Got this from Telstra. It's a great tablet for everyday personal use. Using this for 10 months now and haven't had any issues so far. Value for money. Good battery life (12 -14 hours) and enough storage. Quality rear camera and loved the pictures. Easy to carry design and totally love the product.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Sarah, it's great to hear that you're loving the features of the Galaxy Tab A. Good battery life is a must! - Vicky

Does everything I want it to

I've had my Samsung tablet for a couple of years now and its never played up. The battery still holds enough charge to last a whole day of continual use (though I have the screen brightness turned down). It sometimes restarts if I play heavy duty games on it, but it handles most simple games and can multitask (run Netflix and games at the same time). I know some Samsung products have had a bad wrap lately but I can't say anything negative about my tablet. It's great, and I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed too.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Good tablet, low on storage space

This is a good, reliable tablet. The screen resolution and colours are very good. It takes as good a photo as a tablet will. The storage space is very limited for me which is annoying. This would probably not be an issue for someone not wanting to install games as these will be limited. It suits my needs well though and charges quickly. I would recommend. We have several of these in our family and all are going strong with heavy use.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

LOVE my Samsung Tablet.

I love my tablet so much because I no longer have to cart my Lap Top around with me. It does everything my Laptop does. I can access all my apps with no problems at all. I can access my Netflix account and download movies and watch them anywhere. Also comes in very handy when on holidays to pay bills and check emails.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Best friend

I have taken this tablet all around the world. It was been all around Australia. I have a good cover for protection. I have had it for 4 years. I use it for shopping, taking photographs, video, study, socially, collecting my photos, reading and watching programs. I would be lost without it. Fits perfectly into my hand bag. I use it to skype call my friends. In the kitchen to listen to music or watch cooking shows on you tube. Small memory and not a very loud speaker.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Great tablet

Easy to use much easier then Apple iPad
Kid friendly especially for them playing different games and educational apps
I use it for work and Markets to run my small businesses
Easy to upload apps and play games
Can connect to different sources including square device
Battery lasts for day or two depending

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Works great

Does an excellent job as a small and basic tablet in my opinion. Can view and share my files, emails, photos, access Wi-Fi anywhere. Nice for occasionally watching catchup tv on iview when away, really works well for reading books and playing music. I would recommend getting a good cover to keep it from damage, one that is easy to access rear camera.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

cant fault this tablet

I have had this table for the past 18 months and even though I brought it second hand,it does exactly what I want and need.I have a case for it,BUT no sim,so I rely on wifi to use it.
Ovverall I have no complaints with it and even though its been discontinued,its like a Toyota motor car,its keeps on keeping on.
Well done to Samsung for a good and reliable product

Date PurchasedAug 2017

It's Okay to use as a Phone but not a Tablet!

I find the touch screen isn't that good and it lags. It also shuts down apps often when it freezes up. I don't use it much for this reason. Internal storage is also very low and you cannot store much on this device, as is. I would not recommend buying this is you want something that is reliable and fast, for lots of use. I love my Lenovo Yoga Book, awesome tablet!!

Date PurchasedDec 2017