Samsung HW-N650

Samsung HW-N650

MPN: HW-N650

Disappointing sound

I bought this hoping to add it to my Samsung TV (which has very ordinary sound) to improve on the clarity of sound in particular voices and dialogue but rather than improving it is much worse than the TV speakers as far as voices go and music streaming is not much better, sounds really tinny. Obviously Samsung have more important things than sound to focus on.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $500.00.

Excellent product

Had to buy a soundbar because our new Samsung tv has such poor internal speakers.
Purchased the Samsung HW-N650.
Easy to install and connect to tv.
5.1 sound with sub woofer.
Sound is brilliant and cannot fault the item.
Either HDMI or optical fibre connection.
Only comes with a 12 months warranty, check the in store extra warranty.
A must have if purchasing a new tv.

Purchased in February 2019.

Fantastic

This is the first soundbar that I have owned. I tested a few in the shops. The sound is great setup easy value for your money. So much so there was only 3 left in the ACT that tells you lot about the product I have used Samsung before and once again very happy

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Works well and is fairly easy to set up

There are separately sold rear speakers, which I think are very useful as well. They give you surround sound. I found the system not too difficult to set up. Works very well with my smart TV and Playstation 4 and you can play music from a smartphone on it as well as from a USB device. The subwoofer is fairly good, as is the overall (surround) sound. I love it, and it was not too expensive!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Once upon a time I was an audiophile...

These days, age and industrial deafness have turned me into a novice listener with an odd head tilt (to catch all the soundwaves in my best ear yeah?). Having said that, I know what I like. And I like this.

When I was handed the $575 L shaped box I was a little dismayed that it didn't weigh a lot and didn't appear terribly big either. I came from an era where big sound meant well, BIG speakers and if I didn't need a hand cart to move them they were never going to be good enough. But I had read and researched a lot about this new system (and 5 other contenders) - and it came up spec' despite it's diminutive stature - I thought I'd better keep my suspicions to myself until proven later.

The setup is simple. Unbox it (I could review *that* because it was a woeful exercise), attach power to the sub with 1 cord, power to transformer to bar with the other. Connect HDMI to TV. Done. Once on, sub is detected by the bar. Batteries into remote and we're away. Pack up the foam and cardboard (which was totally destroyed) and we're ready...

Our first test involved music and bluetooth connectivity. I pressed all the the right buttons by instinct (who needs a manual?), got the pairing done with my Samsung 7 phone in about 2 seconds flat. Then I said "OK Google, play Bohemian Rhapsody to bluetooth". "OK" she said, "playing Bohemian Rhapsody on bluetooth".

I then got promptly blown away.

"Where is that sound coming from?" is the first thing you'll say. You know the bar is in the middle of the room but the separation is pretty special. The second thing is "Wow, that bass!" and I mean chest thumping if you get the right frequency. Then you'll spend the next 5 hours trying to play every one of your favourite songs ever. I ended up in bed close to midnight wondering where it all went.

Next day test was the TV. And this thing went up a notch. The immersion is hard to fathom if you look at the speakers - it almost doesn't make sense. You know where the sound is originating from but your mind cannot understand how the sound of the bullet is over - and up - there (I tested with Dunkirk in case you're wondering) or that the explosion sounds so real (it felt like something actually cracked) you're worried the walls might suddenly cave in on you. This really does the job. Voices to the centre are crisp and clearly separated from the ambient goings on and despite my "deafness" I had no issues keeping up with it all. In fact I took great delight in listening for all the other sounds that simply do not show up with my standard, but reasonably well meaning, TV speakers.

If I had any complaints it's the lack of casting connectivity (we have a Google cast enabled household) but BT is a good substitute. Connections are limited but 1 x optical and 2 x HDMI will do most households. There's no Dolby X or Atmos so true movie audio pedants might get antsy but I reckon they're more to up the price tag these days anyway (or I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway so don't need it right?).

And hey, I listened to some of the very serious big boys of the soundbar game to make my choice here but when a blind button test against $2k systems in the store made me rate this system as #2 without even knowing the price, it's pretty clear it's got what it takes.

For less than $600 this thing is an easy, easy buy.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Love this soundbar

Great sounding unit. Sleek low profile ensures you don't block the IR on the TV. External subwoofer connects to the soundbar wirelessly which is great - you can place it anywhere in the room that has a wall powerpoint. The setup is very easy and connects instantly. The only downside I could see was that the volume control is slow and takes a while to ramp up or down, but overall this is a minor concern. Bluetooth connectivity works great. Definitely recommend this soundbar.

Date PurchasedJul 2018