Samsung MS40J5133BT

Samsung MS40J5133BT

MPNs: 35963606, MS40J5133BT/ and MS40J5133BT/SA

Practically non-existent internal light, but very bright light when you open the door!

I am so, so disappointed and want to know why the microwave oven’s interior light is practically non-existent, with hardly anything being able to be seen when cooking food in it; yet when you open the door, the light shines very brightly ... which is really of no use to me whatsoever. We are pensioners living on an income of pensions only and so we have had to save hard to get a new microwave; furthermore, because we are elderly, our eyesight is no longer the best, hence it is paramount that we can see when food is near enough ready, e.g porridge, milk puddings, sauce mixes, gravies, etc; this in order to avoid such foods from boiling over and so avoid hot food spillages as well as food wastage We were so delighted when we left Good Guys in Butler WA, with our new purchase but have since come crashing down with a bump! Why didn’t anyone at Good Guys tell us of the poor/non-existent internal light. Like the review posted on here headed “Not Very Bright” by David M and can only endorse all of his comments in full

Purchased in May 2019.

Hi Maggie, thank you for sharing your review with us. We're sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the internal light of your microwave. Unfortunately, this is part of the design. I can understand where you are coming from and we will be sure to pass your feedback on for consideration. If you continue to have troubles with this, I suggest returning to your place of purchase or booking in an assessment with one of our service centre locations. You can find your closest service centre via the link below: >https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Remember, all visits require a booking: >https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/bookings/ > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

Not very bright.

We bought this microwave on the brand name, it’s size and it’s awesome look. We only use a microwave for reheating so it’s probably overkill for what we needed. Ironically we only upgraded our 13 year old Sharp because the light stopped working. To our disappointment the light in this one is virtually useless. It is too dim because of the dark interior and dark glass on the door. The microwave reheats well, but a ceramic bowl came out very hot with food only medium warm. Heated food on a flat plate came out fine with food hot and plate warm and able to be picked up by hand, same with plastic containers. Would have been nice if it had an automatic 1 minute cook and start with only 1 press of a button like other brands do but not a big problem. Light in this one is a fail though. Shame since it is one of the better looking models in its range. I will definitely look at a working model before I buy again.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $249.00.

Noise Level
Hi David, thank you for providing your open and honest feedback. Please ensure you adjust the settings accordingly to get optimal use of your appliance. Please refer to the 'Before you start' section on Page 12 of the user manual to help you out with this. I have included a link for your reference below. >https://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/MS40J5133BT/SA/ Lisa Samsung AU

Nice design

Purchased this microwave mainly because of the design and the brand. Overall we're happy with it. Works well without any issues. It has a large capacity. The design is futuristic, all buttons are flat, looks really good.
We didn't try to cook anything complex in it, just mainly use to reheat food.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Perfect for a Family

I’ve recently purchased this microwave after the passing of my previous prehistoric model. It’s fantastic. Lots of features, very easy to use and the accompanying booklet contains some great ideas. I am very, very happy. I use it daily and it’s perfect. Defrosting is a dream and the reheating function does its job properly. I highly recommend this microwave.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Not that impressive

This is my first Samsung product I have purchased. This product was to replace my previous Whirlpool unit which lasted about 12 years then the buttons broke and decided it wasn't worth fixing and to buy a new microwave.

Did some initial research, mainly looking at the Panasonic and Samsung units with a price of under $200. Finally decided on the latter as the Panasonic only had a flat bed and no rotating plate for about the same price.

I've now had the product for about a month and can say I'm not overly impressed. Compared to my previous Whirlpool, albeit a more expensive product and with more features and accessories, I fail to see how this product does anything better than a cheap no brand microwave. While it appears to have plenty of cooking features, the poor instructions make it difficult / confusing to understand and thus allowing one to easily use these features.

One of my main issues is that the buttons are difficult to see and to operated. Because they are basically flat, some force is required to get them to work. I find this terrible, imagine older people trying to use it. Another issue, as mentioned by other reviewers is the lack of illumination whilst cooking. Very poor due to the tinted door and low voltage globe....why?

Another annoying feature, or lack of is that, unlike my previous microwave, one cannot use the timer while it is heating / cooking. You would think with modern technology this would be possible on such a product.

As for heating food, it appears to do that adequately, although like most microwaves it heats the plate/bowl more than the actual food. I haven't tried cooking anything but as it lacks any grilling or crisp function, doubt it will be used for any of that. The one good thing it does is not having a "Cool Down" feature which some microwaves, including my previous unit, have, even when defrosting....why? That saves energy and cost.

Let's face it, it's a microwave, they've been around for a while now. To have such a product from a reputable brand with these design flaws at that price is disappointing. I certainly won't be buying (or recommending) another one and might even get my trusty Whirlpool repaired which was a treat to use compared to the Samsung.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Thank you for taking the time in leaving us feedback for this product, and we're sorry that it hasn't met up to your full expectations. Your feedback is valueable and will be passed on internally to further improve our products and services. If you experience any issues, you can always visit a service centre and our technicians can assist you. Philip Samsung Australia

Works well! Alot better than my previous

I really like this microwave, it has a large capacity enough to service my family of 4. This was purchased to replace a previously malfunctioned microwave that has no turntable. I prefer this traditional design more as i feel the rotating plate heats up the food more evenly. Easy to operate, has many preset functions

Date PurchasedOct 2018

It is a keeper

I also bought this microwave without reading the reviews because I rely on Samsung products, they deliver quality and style with innovative design and superior features. This microwave has proven to be just the same, good quality, reliable and I love it, I would recommend this product, it is a keeper.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Disappointing

We love Samsung products, and love them, so we bought this without reading the reviews, as it looks great, and the price was good.
However, you need to see food cooking, and the door is so dark that the light is irrelevant.
In addition, we find that after use, the bowl or plate will burn your hands off, whilst the food is only warm, so we tend to eat just warm food rather than have a plate that will melt the table.
I can't believe that these things wouldn't have shown up in the first few hours of testing.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Mike, thank you for your review, and we are really sorry that the products design has not met your expectations. We will be passing feedback internally to further improve our products and services. If you have any issues moving forward, please visit one of our service centres with the microwave and our techs will assist. Here is a link to find your nearest centre: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service-centre/ Philip Samsung Australia

Not to easy to use

we did a lot of research for a big turntable microwave before we purchased this , its not user friendly, the power setting are not like all other microwave , high,med,low etc , they are by number example , 9- 7 -1 etc and the black key pad is had to see

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Samsung takes into consideration all feedback to improve the performance and quality of our products and services. We're always looking to make Samsung better. We appreciate your time sharing this feedback. Sara Samsung Australia

Only Buy If you do not want to see your food cooking

It functions but why put a light in it if the front is so dark it is pointless?
It needs the light to be 5 times brighter so you can see in side when it is cooking.
I like to cook cheese on toast and you just watch it till it is good then stop it.
Now I can not do that.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Its good if you like everything digital.

I dont mind this microwave. There is not much i can fault. I would not recommend it for the elderly. There is alot to learn with this microwave. Lots of reading. Its digital so it can get frustrating when you select the wrong choice. I still havnt learnt everything that it can do. Its deffinately for the savy.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Not overly impressed

I’m not a huge fan of our new microwave. It tends to heat the bowl holding the food super hot and then the food within the bowl remains relatively cold. The microwave has even melted the cling wrapping covering the bowl. The microwave itself seems easy to use however fails in performance. I wouldn’t recommend to friends or family.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Loved it, until it broke 1 week after warranty expired

This microwave was great and did everything we wanted ... until it broke a week after the warranty expired. The microwave was too expensive to have such a short life span. I don’t recommend buying this microwave, or at least purchase a long warranty (which makes it pretty poor value compared to the alternative options available).

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Very happy with performance

Believing most microwaves to be about the same, we purchased this oven because it fit neatly into our cabinet, had a finish that matched the other appliances, and was well priced.
We have found it easy to use and it works well. While there are lots of options and programs, it is very easy to just push one or two buttons to do a simple reheating of cold food or heat a cup of water for tea/coffee. The most used button for us is the '+30Sec' press it once for 30 sec of heating, twice for 1 minute etc..

The only issues we have found are:
- the timer clock initially kept poor time (lost about 5 minutes a day), but that was replaced under warranty.
- the interior light is quite dull, making it impossible to actually see inside the oven
- the 'touch' buttons on the front panel require a very firm push - only a minor niggle .

If it ever breaks (had it for 7 months now), we would happily buy another.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great microwave, good value for money

Was looking for a new microwave and found it on sale. It's a good buy with simple and easy to understand multiple pre-set functions. So far, I've been very satisfactory with it as the cooking and heating results are great. It's a sturdy microwave and noise wise, it's not loud and it's very easy to clean up should there be any mess.

Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Good quality microwave

I do like this microwave and so far have had no issues. It has several functions and is very simple to use. They even provide you with a cup that attaches to the side for cleaning however I have never used it, I just usually wipe it out after each use.

I do find sometimes it takes some time to reheat things evenly but I find this with all microwaves. As for the noise I didn't think it was too bad as it is located in the butlers pantry until one day I was in the room where the microwave backs up to and you could hear it quiet clearly, it was loud but bearable kind of like a humming sound.

The look is great and internal size is perfect fitting even my largest plate, so overall I would recommend this microwave as it is great value for money, just be prepared it is quiet large and may not fit into a inbuilt space in a kitchen.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Very satisfied!

Was shopping for a new microwave and spotted the Samsung on sale. It has multiple functions, and is very easy to use. Most of the basic functions you can do without even opening the manual, but for the more advanced stuff (e.g. defrost, adjusting power levels), the manual would be your best friend.
Cooking results are fantastic, it does the job well. Noise wise it is quiet, and well built. Have used it for over a year and still works well. Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Good reliable microwave

The cooking aspect has been perfect, it does what it's supposed to.
Visually it is a aesthetic looking microwave.
Not very loud.
Well built however I did not like the way the buttons feel when you press them, feels like an unresponsive touch screen.
It is easy to clean which makes up for it.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Good capacity 40L and wide inside

The cooking results are great with this microwave, heats up food as required. Easy to use menu. Best thing is the settings are printed on the frame as you open the door which is very handy. The only drawback is the light inside is not bright enough to look inside the oven through door. This can be improved, but overall satisfied with the product and justifies its price.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

This is great product

I am very satisfied with my samsung microwave. Very easy to use, very easy to clean and of course very nice looking. The settings and feature is very easy to use and understand. A very quite microwave and very durable. I would recommend to my friends and familes. Cant complain

Date PurchasedMar 2017