Samsung Powerbot VR9300 (SR20K9350WK)

Samsung Powerbot VR9300 (SR20K9350WK)

MPN: SR20K9350WK

Prone to breaking down.

I bought this Vacuum on 17/12/2017 it is now 26/04/2019 and it has been in for repair on 5 separate occasions, I have just been told that the battery needs replacing and it only has a 6 month warranty so I have to pay $240 for a new battery, I would not recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in December 2017 for $1,300.00.

Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Tiles
System Errors Often
Thanks for reaching out to us, we’re really sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far. We’d be more than happy to investigate further into this – Our best point of contact is to send us a PM on Facebook with a copy of this review and some more information. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Works ok but constantly breaks down

Have had it for just over two years and in that time has broken down four times and required new batteries, new chargers, etc. This is the most unreliable piece of consumer electronics we have ever purchased. The unit does actually work fairly well but I reckon we've spent more than 8 hours driving to and from service centres and trying to fix the thing.

Purchased in December 2016 at Bing Lee Online store for $1,399.00.

Battery Life
Product is used: Several times a week
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Wood
System Errors Often
Hi Jules, we are very sorry to hear about your experience with us. We've sent you a PM requesting more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? You can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

This is bad value for money

The machine does what it’s supposed to do, vacuum the floor but so do all vacuum cleaners! The User manual is designed for people who can extrapolate technical instructions because it doesn’t tell you much about Features and it’s very basic, it says things like “start button starts the Robovac, right button turns Robovac to the right” we all can understand the the basics but I’ve found that even when the machine doesn’t perform properly the error codes don’t show up and there’s quite a few in the manual but they never show up on the machine. I had to send this machine for repair after only 5 months of ownership. The robovac cleans my room then indicates it’s finished but continues to go around and around until the battery is flat or Until i turn it off manually. The vacuum seems to love the occasional power shot of suction against the skirting boards here and there, I don’t know what it’s thinking as many of the corners in the rooms have now accrued little piles of dust and the extra boost of suction is supposed to detect those extra piles of dust so my corners are left untouched and the extra suction against the skirting boards is a waste of time. When we purchased the unit we were told it will automatically adjust suction depending on the type of surface it is cleaning, eg hard surface = low suction and for carpet = high suction , well it doesn’t do that either. For a machine that we paid $1299 AUD it’s really upsetting and that was after a heavy discount, the unit was, supposedly, retailing at $1999 AUD. Sadly I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. The Samsung app is no better either, it also assumes you’re a master of software. It was extremely difficult to make the robovac map my home with, a feature that influenced me to buy it. The app is unforgiving and should I want to start afresh it’s very difficult to delete the settings and start again but there is no clear cut way to delete and start again, the instructions for the app are clumsy and certainly insufficient. As for customer service they’re quick to respond but the information they give also assumes that you’re the genius who knows all the solutions , their instructions to resolve an issue weren’t the best, their solutions were simply cut and paste from a manual they have. When I rang to have it sent away for repair The lovely lady gave me an address to a service centre near me but very sadly this was the only good experience I had with owning this unit! And if you think those lovely responses from Samsung about them sending a private email chat mean that something will be done about your problem, then think again as I never heard a thing back. Thank you!

Purchased in October 2018 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $1,299.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
System Errors Often
Hi Tony, we are very sorry to hear about your experience with us. We've sent you a PM requesting for more information, when its most convenient for you can you please send that through? Lisa Samsung Australia

Wheel motor melted !!

I had the Samsung Powerbot 9300 for about 8 weeks and it was working OK. The mapping feature is useless. It doesn't map properly, but the cleaning was pretty good - good suction. After about 8 weeks of use the vacuum cleaner suddenly started doing odd things like stopping after a few minutes on a scheduled clean, missing heaps of areas, unable to navigate the rise between my floorboard areas and carpeted areas (which it had previously done without a problem) and going around in circles then stopping in the middle of the floor and not returning to base to recharge. I tried everything to reset the Powerbot but nothing worked. I turned it over to see if there was maybe something stuck in a wheel and one of the wheel motors had melted! Touching it when I turned the cleaner over burnt my fingers - it was boiling hot! For no apparent reason the motor just melted which on carpeted floors I would imagine is a high fire risk! I've returned the cleaner to Harvey Norman where I purchased it and it's gone to Samsung's authorised repairer. They're saying they think I've used the cleaner "as a skateboard" (i.e. standing on it) or that it's been dropped, fallen down stairs etc. None of these things have happened. The unit was scheduled to clean every day and I let it do its thing. Nothing has changed in my house, no new furniture, no stairs suddenly built etc. Nothing! I've had an iRobot Roomba for years without any issues until I replaced the carpet in the house and the Roomba didn't like brown carpet so I bought the Samsung. Big mistake. This unit isn't worth the money I spent on it and two weeks after returning it for assessment I am still no closer to having it replaced or my money refunded as this little cleaner is, in my opinion, a fire risk if the wheel motor melts during normal use. Note: the Powerbot was cleaned regularly, wheels checked, wiped with a soft dry cloth etc - everything the User Manual tells you to do to care for it, I did.
Don't waste your money on the Samsung Powerbot. It's overpriced and my one has proved very dangerous. I'm lucky my house didn't catch fire as I'm not always home when it does a scheduled clean. This time I was and thank goodness I turned it over or the melting wheel motor could have caused way bigger problems than a dead vacuum cleaner!

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Customer safety is something we take seriously here at Samsung and I’d really like to look into this ASAP to get a better understanding of the situation and see what we can do to help! I’ve sent you a private message requesting for further details. Please get back to us at your earliest convenience so we can get this sorted for you. We truly do apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Sara Samsung Australia

Overall, Good as an automated vacuum, but questionable reliability (of our unit)

I've had this unit for just over 18 months now, so I feel that I have had enough experience to provide an informed review.
General use - In general, it manages to navigate its way around your home and do its job without too much fuss and without requiring to much intervention, which is good. When on full auto, I have noticed that it does randomly miss some areas of our home. I am unsure why this occurs, but we just manually send it back to the area to clean. One of my pet hates is that it sometimes gets lost when returning to the base station, it usually finds its way home, but it can take the scenic route or not get there at all. If like us you have lounges / furniture that is low to the ground, the unit will not navigate under it (even though it may physically fit). This is not a deal breaker for us, but may be for you. Another thing that I found somewhat frustrating is that the orientation of the base station can impact the direction and the way the unit aligns itself to walls and how navigate its way around the home. As strange as this sounds, it seems to impact the of the cleaning path that unit it takes and ultimately its cleaning speed / efficiency.

About The Samsung Smart home App - The app is used to map your home and to direct the vacuum around your home. It's good, but it does have some limitations and can be a little buggy to use. Android devices were easy to setup and connect to the Powerbot, but it was a little more difficult to connect my wife's IPhone to the unit. I found that it initially took a few attempts to map our apartment accurately as it seemed to miss some area's on the initial mapping passes. It did eventually got it right. Once the App is up an running it's fairly easy to use and it's got a nice feature where it will let you select specific areas of your home to clean if you don't want to do the whole home at that time, but it does require that you allow the unit to map the layout of your home.

Pro's
Powerful vac / Strong suction
Suited to / good on hard surfaces and large open areas
Samsung Smart home App is Relatively intuitive to use
Relatively good at navigating / mapping our home
Average on Carpet (but better than some of its competitors)
Saves you time.

Con's
Reliability (of our unit) - 3 service calls to date
Randomly misses parts of our home on auto
Poor corner / edge cleaning
Not suitable for rugs with shag pile or tassels (will tangle in the roller and stop the unit from cleaning)
Occasionally gets lost when returning to the base station
Alignment of the base station can impact cleaning path / efficiency
If the unit gets stuck whilst cleaning, there is no resume option

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Hi Marcus, thank you for your review. Our consumers are at the core of our commitment to create a better world full of richer experiences, through innovative technology and products. Your feedback has not gone unnoticed, and you raise some very valid points. We will keep this in mind for future product launches.

Excellent suction, horrible software

The good: terrific suction. As good as my conventional vaccum.
The bad: the software is horrible. If it gets stuck, there is no resume option. It can only go to auto clean mode and cannot continue on area clean mode. It also fails to find its way back to the charger if it gets stuck somewhere. The app is also horrible. Very frequently it shows the vacuum as being disconnected and just won't connect again.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

It's ok

This vaccine is a great to do area with no furniture as it gets stuck on everything and seems to not sense hitting walls mine has been repaired twice now in two years I dont think they are worth spending that much money on, I wouldnt buy this product again

Date PurchasedJul 2016

It was good, till it stopped working

Was happy with it, however, it stopped working and had to take it to the service center. Never heard from the service center on whats going on and had to ask for a refund, must say that refund process was easy and swift.

Will look for something reliable and also with good service center. It wasn't good in the corners though, otherwise it was strong and had a good suction for carpets too.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Useless mapping facility

My wife borrowed a Robovac vacuum last year and was very impressed with how it worked. The only problem was that it was round and wouldn't go into corners very well. She said she would have one if it was square at the front.
So I looked on the internet and saw that the Samsung Powerbot seemed to fill the bill. I reluctantly forked out the $1,272.95 to Harvey Norman and bought her the top of the range model for Christmas.
You'd think that, having paid that much, we would have a machine that was relatively easy to use (like the Robovac) that would come with some detailed instructions. But no! We've got a real lemon with practically no operating instructions that make any sense.
The thing has been in use for just on one month. But we have never had it finish the house. The floorplan mapping is virtually useless. Sometime it gets halfway through the mapping then it can't find its way back to the charging station, so it switches itself off. When it switches itself off it seems to disconnect itself from the server. There's nothing in the instructions to tell you how to rectify this.
My wife received an email from Samsung VOC NSW on 2 February telling her that the matter had been referred to the 'Technical Support Team' and to keep her line open to hear from them. Well the line has been open for five days now, so when will she hear from them?
We are having trouble today, so we ring up your help line to see if we can get some decent instructions and we get a girl who obviously is reading from the same inadequate manual that we have. She can't advise us, so she tells us that we have to take it to a service centre. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the machine – it’s brand new. It's just that there is no-one who knows anything about operating it and who can advise us. So what's the point in taking it to a service centre for them to tell us that the machine is working properly.
Today we had it drawing a new floorplan. Seems like a simple task to ask it to undertake, after all that's one of its selling points. But after a while it got hung up on a 1cm rug. We've had this before and were told to switch the emergency switch off, move the machine to a clear area and switch it on again. Okay, we did that using the emergency switch and nothing happens. The app on the phone says it's disconnected from the server. How do you reconnect it to the server and get it to resume mapping. Doesn't seem a lot to ask of the support centre. But could they answer that? NO!! INSTEAD THEY WANT ME TO TAKE IT TO A SERVICE CENTRE. What a waste of time.
I want someone from Samsung who knows something about this machine to either show us how to operate it or to provide a lucid comprehensive set of instructions.
By the way, when we first tried to get the machine to make a new map of the house, we rang your help and the person there said it wouldn't work unless we removed all the furniture from the house. What a ridiculous proposal! Where are we to store the furniture? On the lawn?
I don't often write complaints. But, as you can see, I am thoroughly fed up with this useless piece of junk. If I can't get any satisfaction I'll be reviewing it wherever I can.

Great little helper.

This is a great robot that th can out on to do a quick vacuum. It is noisy though. It doesn't get into corners or along edges very well but great for big open areas. It likes to try and eat anything it comes in contact with so you need to make sure you pick up everything off the floor. It comes with a virtual wall which is great to block off areas. It senses is great as it has never fallen down the stairs. Has a spot clean use with a remote which is great at cleaning up spills.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Infrared sensors for 'cliff protection' will not allow the vac to operate properly on dark floors/ca

Wonderful robot if you have no dark floors or rugs with dark edges. Samsung Australia just confirmed this for me as I was about to buy the VR9300. I had to dig for this information as it is not displayed in a prominent position, e.g., on the product box. Such a pity! This issue may account for some of the vac's mapping confusion.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

1 word - Brilliant!

I have 3 dogs (including a giant breed with a thick coat) that shed heavily (despite grooming regularly). They live inside. Unless I vacuumed daily, there were "tumbleweeds" of pet hair around the house. I was sick of always dragging the vacuum out. After much research I invested in the VR9300 PowerBot.

Whilst not perfect, it is an excellent unit and I now only need to vacuum once a week and can let PowerBot do its thing on the other days.

Negatives:

* Buying another virtual guard is proving very difficult . I do not understand why they are not available in retail stores or at least on Samsung's website. Instead you have to go via a "spare parts" service. Very frustrating!

* The battery recharge is a bit slow. The PowerBot can do my house in one charge (on max suction - no point using less). I'd set it up to run twice a day, 5-6 hours apart but found that the bot kept dying on the second run. Unfortunately I can only have it run once a day. That said, 1 run pretty much fills up the "bin" so unless I am there to empty in between, it probably isn't a good idea to run it twice.

* It can get stuck on or under things. Eg I have an upright fan and it gets stuck on the base of the fan. I have to leave something in front of the fan to stop the bot trying to drive over it. (Hence why I need another virtual guard!)

UPDATE 9 months later:

Issue 1:
Do not buy this product if you have rugs in your house. We purchased a new rug for the living room and the PowerBot gets stuck on it. The rug is a fairly flat rug, not even 1.5cm high. The Powerbot gets stuck trying to get onto the rug and won't navigate around it. We put something under the edges of the rug to make it higher (raising the edges to about 2.5cm) so the PowerBot would navigate around it, but it only works sometimes. Other times it gets stuck trying to drive onto the rug. We then get home to find that the house hasn't been cleaned as the PowerBot has been stuck on the rug. Given the rug is in the centre of the room, it isn't practical to use virtual guards to get the PowerBot to avoid the rug. [See here for a video of the PowerBot getting stuck on the rug - https://kandlgates.box.com/s/irq4g091kkgzhrl42jwwd6vtqf7ss19s]

Issue 2: When the Powerbot goes up the tiled hallway, it does not "hug" the skirting boards. Instead, it leaves about a 2cm gap. Given this is where most dirt, dog hair etc accumulates, it makes the PowerBot rather pointless as we just have to get the large vacuum out anyway.

Issue 3: One of our virtual guards "died" several months in. It hasn't been dropped or damaged and the batteries have been replaced. Contacting Samsung for a replacement is very difficult!!

So, would I buy this product again? Most likely not.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great cleaning power, completely daft mapping system

Picked up this unit during the boxing day sales to replace my old Roboking.
First impressions, fantastic unit! I gave it a run of the bedroom on max power and the carpet came up great! It had that nice "fluffy" feel to it that you only get using a conventional vacuum.
Setup was simple enough and I had it go off a few times around the house without mapping for the "select & go" feature. Again, the unit did an alright job getting about the place but did get a bit lost.
No big deal I thought since I was planning on doing the mapping shortly.
Then, came the day I had some time to sort the house out for the mapping, or "create floorplan" feature.
Moved all the chairs, kids toys and other items from the floor so all the floors were clear.
Once it was ready and fully charged, of I sent it to discover the house.
About an hour or so later, I get a message saying that the floor plan is created. Great!
Open the floor plan and.... what the? The house is literally only half there. It mapped the main living area and a few bedrooms at one end of the house, then decided it had enough and called it a day. The strangest thing was it literally only did half of the room that the base station was in.
So it completely missed half my theater room, the study, half the main hallway and the main bedroom.
I then learned that if it doesn't complete the mapping in one go, you can't "add" to the existing map. It's all in one go or nothing. Or half the house it seems.
I am now on attempt number 3 of mapping the house using a different location for the base station. Previously I had it in the theatre room which was in the middle of the house, but I have now moved it to one end of the house in the hope it will keep going if it's all in one direction.
The other issue as if the battery runs out and it needs to go recharge, tough luck, it starts again after it's recharged. What I really can't understand in regards to this is that while the unit is mapping, it's also vacuuming.
Given that the programmers at Samsung would know the limitation in regards to getting everything done in one battery charge, why on earth would they not disable the vacuuming when the unit is mapping to extend battery life and prevent frustration for their customers?
It can do it when it's looking to recharge, so why not also for mapping?
I'm hoping Samsung does something to address the mapping issues in a future software update as currently, and otherwise brilliant product has a huge flaw.

UPDATE - Attempt 3 and 4
I've now completed attempts 3 and 4. Attempt 3 the vacuum got stuck on the edge of a rug is seemed to go over a good 20 times for no reason. Attempt 4 was "successful" in that a floorplan was created. Who's house it is, I'm not sure.

Useful

Gets stuck sometimes. Good suction power, though misses corners.the wifi option is not very useful the app to control it is useless. Comes with a remote allows to guide the machine where you want. Hopefully they will improve the app so it will be easier to manage it. The app does not work on Pixel phones, online Samsung devices (phone or tablet) and it has received very low marks and reviews on playstore

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great cleaner, very average intelligence

This robot vacuum has great potential. The problem is that most of the advanced features it offers don't really work.

If you are looking for a robot vacuum that cleans carpet and hard floors well then I can confirm it does this really well. if you are looking at it for the advances AI like the floorplan where you can send it to a room via your phone then you are going to be disappointed.

When I first brought it home I loved the idea of having a floorplan so I can send it just to clean particular rooms that need it more than others. I spent 3 days trying to get the floorplan mapped out though. The problem with this setup is that the vacuum needs to wander around the entire house on one charge to complete the setup. If you have a large house it runs out of battery because it actually sucks whilst it's doing this and it runs out of battery in about 60 minutes. We have a 28square living zone house and it could only do about half and then have to return to charge. When it runs out of battery during the floorplan setup it doesn't keep the data so then you have to start all over again. On top of this, if it gets stuck under a chair or on a corner wall skirting board (yes, this happens!) then it also loses all the data and you have to return it to the charger, wait for it to charge and start all over again. I had to split the front and back of the house into 2 separate floorplans so I could make this feature work. 3 days this took me of run after run trying to get it to complete. I had to put every object up on beds and tables and leave not even rugs on the floor. I ended up following it around for hours to help it if it looked like it would get stuck somewhere so I didn't have to start again. I was so happy when I got both the floor plans finished. A few weeks after this I went on holidays for 4 weeks and when I got back and tried to use the floorplan I got the error 'floorplan not found'! Unbelievable! What a waste of time. Since then I haven't tried to do it again as I'd prefer to waste my time watching paint dry...

The Samsung smart home app is an absolute load of junk. What a joke of an app for such a major tech company. They really should hang their head in shame. You cant leave it running in the background because it times out and loses connection to the server every time you put the phone down for 5 minutes. I setup a schedule so that it would run on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I tried choosing a 10am start time. Have a guess what? The app would fault and not let me set a schedule for anytime in the AM. In the last few months it seems to be working now and I can set it to an AM time.

So now I have the schedule working and it starts itself 3 times a week to vacuum the whole house. It has 3 suctions power levels. We use medium as this does our thick carpet well enough even with a dog with long hair. This means it lasts around 45 minutes per battery charge. Only 30 mins if you go full power. The problem is it doesn't consistently clean the whole house. My wife is often working at home and says some days it will do 3 runs to clean the whole house and other days it will do 1, miss more than half the house and not venture out again to finish the job as it must think it's already finished. If it enters a room with 1 door it does the room really well. It gets to all corners and close to the furniture so its excellent in this regard. A room with multiple openings/doors and it can easily miss half of it. We have weeks where it doesn't make it to our bedroom at all and we have to take it there manually.

Another issue we have is that if you have a rug with dark lines through it, it thinks it about to fall off the side of the world and wont go over it. This means our living area and laundry are no go zones and it spends ages trying to clean the room around the lines on the rug. We've had to use the infrared barrier device it comes with to stop it going in the living room. It once got trapped in the middle of the rug and couldn't get out because the lines had it boxed in. Quite humorous to watch actually.

The remote allows you to point and clean which works really well and good for a mess in a particular spot you want it to deal with. It also lets you drive it using the remote which also works well.

The time I spent dealing with their customer service was a waste of time. They couldn't really help and just got me to uninstall everything and start again. I almost couldn't get it to connect again to the smart home app but on the 20th try doing the same thing it connected for some reason.

After only having it a few weeks the roller head destroyed itself and the housing bracket that holds it in (made of thin plastic) so I had to take it back for a warranty repair. It was repaired within 24 hours so was really great service. Pain that it happened at all but if this just happens a once off then not the end of the world.

So in summary, if you are looking for a robot vacuum that still needs some time from you to help it out, it does clean really well. For sure, it's still easier than vacuuming the house yourself. I had moment where I wanted to return it but I come back to this point as this is why I bought it. If you want a super smart device that has great AI functionality, Samsung need to improve the product much more so it's full functionality actually works as advertised.

Date PurchasedJun 2017