Samsung SRL457MW / SRL458ELS

Only got this fridge a week ago!

Just bought this fridge and finding that the freezer drawers are coming off their rails every time I need to get something in or out of them! Contacted retailer who's now arranging service call. Not happy!

Purchased in July 2019.

We're sorry for the inconveniences this may have caused, Aywa. Your feedback has not gone unnoticed and will be passed on. Thanks for letting us know that a service call has now been arranged. If any questions do arise, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Jo Samsung AUIndeed. However, I can see from other reviews that this is happening to others who've purchased this particular fridge. Consequently perhaps Samsung ought to look into this issue more seriously, as it may be a design fault needing to be rectified. I've been a fan of Samsung for quite some time, with several appliances in my home and having recommended them to friends and family. I was one of the people who had to pay extra for a Samsung washing machine to replace the Samsung one I had which was one of the faulty recalled models that self combusted due to faulty wiring. Now with this problem with my brand new fridge, I'm having second thoughts about the brand, and am extremely disappointed! This latest problem has taken all the joy and excitement away from having a new fridge, especially because my old kelvinator was working perfectly, but just wanted a 4 star upside down one, and this one fitted the bill. You guys really need to up your R&D and quality control of your products if you really want us consumers to keep buying your products. I just hope that my samsung tv doesn't start having any problems as well...that'd be the last straw! Let's see what they can do about my new fridge!

Perfect Fridge Freezer

This is so good that I bought one for my new house , because the other one was left at the old house and I knew I would miss the features of this fridge. Easy to keep clean, flexible shelving arrangement so you can fit bulky things if you need to. Easy to use ice cube tray. Big shelves in the freezer that fit a lot in them. Very good lighting. Always fresh smelling. Quiet. Couldn’t be happier.

Purchased in February 2019 at Betta Home Living.

Noise Level
We're happy to hear this particular refrigerator model has fit perfectly in with your lifestyle and needs, Teresa! If any questions arise, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Jo Samsung AU

Good at first. Then the problems started

We bought our fridge in January 2014, from Appliances Online, to replace a 15 year old American made G.E. fridge. The interior layout is well thought out and the bottle rack was a plus, allowing even more room for other items by keeping bottles out of the way. The fridge is quiet and holds temperatures well. All went well for the first 3 and a half years, then we noticed that it was beginning to leak water into the bottom of the freezer and onto the floor under the fridge. This would freeze into ice and prevented the bottom freezer drawer being opened unless considerable force was applied. Too much and the drawer breaks. The ice was/is easily removed but within a week, it is back. Other reviewers of this fridge have also had the same issues and further research points to it being due to a design flaw, in that a crucial pipe within the compressor compartment is not insulated at the factory and overtime ices up, creating this issue. Now after some 5 and a half years and 2 freezer drawers, we are totally fed up with the problem and have decided to replace the fridge. But not with another Samsung.

Purchased in January 2014 at Appliances Online.

Internal Layout
Household Size 3 person(s)
Thanks for reaching out to us, we’re really sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far. We’d be more than happy to investigate further into this – Our best point of contact is to send us a PM on Facebook with a copy of this review and some more information. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Good sized and power efficient

We bought this fridge reading the positive reviews and power efficiency rating. We have been using this fridge for about 2 years and it is going very strong. Very spacious for the size. Easy to adjust the temperature for the fridge and freezer. The compartments are well designed, bottle rack is great for wine/beers. Very quiet too.

Purchased in March 2017.

Absolutely amazing

Perfect fridge for a medium sized family. Larger freezer space .easy to open and close. Spacious compartments. As freezer is bottom mount you don't need to bend your back when u access the fridge only.

Purchased in May 2015 at JB Hi-Fi for $1,100.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 3 person(s)

Love it!

So much room in this fridge. Every time I think it's full I find more space.
The bottom shelf let's you adjust the placement so if you have anything big & tall, you can fit it down the bottom no problem.

Excellent cooling system that goes from - 17 to 23 for freezer and 0-7 on the fridge.
Also includes a vacation mode for when you won't be opening the doors for awhile
Every time I open it in the night, the fantastic led lights remind me of close encounters of the third kind!

Buy this fridge!

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys Online store.

Noise Level
Household Size 2 person(s)

Good fridge , but....

I have had fridge about 18 months when I noticed the freezer seal has split! It became really obvious after wiping the seal down. Also drawer in freezer falls off rails when opened to access back of drawer.

Purchased in June 2016 at Appliances Direct Online.

Internal Layout
Household Size 1 person(s)
Hi Graeme, I'm sorry to hear that! We've sent you a PM requesting more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? You can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

More spacious than expected

As our new fridge had to fit into the ‘fridge spot’ in our kitchen, and I wanted one with a freezer on the bottom, our choices were extremely limited. The friendly sales person at Good Guys Marion showed us the choices and we settled on choosing between Samsung, Westinghouse and Fisher & Paykel.

As all 3 were made in Thailand, had 4 star energy rating, and prices and reviews on ProductReview were similar, the final choice came down to look and feel. The Samsung won out as we preferred the interior, plus it was the only one with a 10 year parts warranty on the compressor.

After living with it for 4 months, I can say I’m happy with it. The temperature is consistent, doors are easy to open / close and also open wide for easy access and cleaning. The exterior markless stainless steel is easy to keep clean and shiny, and matches the stainless steel finish of my other appliances.

The interior light is bright and the LED panel at the top is an easy way to check that the temperature is as it ought to be. The glass and plastic shelves are sturdy, and the fold-up bottom shelf in the fridge compartment is extremely handy when needed to accommodate taller items.

I am especially delighted at the storage space in both the fridge and freezer compartments. I was a little concerned that the freezer compartment would offer less storage as the manual ice maker and storage tray is built in, unlike my old fridge where I can remove the ice tray to free up shelf space. I was happy to be proven wrong. Although the capacity is about the same as my old fridge, I seem to be able to pack more into the Samsung. This is especially so in the fridge door shelves as these are deeper than in my old fridge.

August 14th 2019 Update: Good enough that I bought a 2nd one

My old Westinghouse was showing its age at 23, and though it seemed pretty robust I was afraid of a sudden death as it was making weird noises. So after researching these pages, other online forums and asking around, we finally made it to a Harvey Norman and Good Guys Store to check out our shortlist physically.

Frankly, there wasn’t much of a difference between the Samsung, Westinghouse, and Fisher & Paykel models that would fit the fridge cavity in our older style kitchen. The insides were also pretty similar in terms of layout and sturdiness I.e. not as sturdy in comparison to our old Westinghouse. The glass shelves, plastic components etc were all nice and shiny, but they felt, well, flimsy in comparison to my old fridge.

We finally settled on the Samsung as it had (not in any particular order):
1. The best warranty of 10 years for the inverter
2. Easy to read panel & controls at the top for temperatures in the fridge and freezer, alarm and holiday mode
3. A foldable shelf that could be adjusted to fit in taller items
4. A removable metal bottle rack
5. Full width vegetable crisper
6. Handles on the doors
7. Adjustable, deep containers on the door
8. The most efficient kWh of electricity use
9. Markless stainless steel

That was in Dec 2018. Our experience of the fridge after using it for 6 months:
1. It was a lot quieter that our old noisy fridge, but not as silent as expected (maybe our expectations are unrealistically honed by our very quiet Bosch dishwasher)
2. Temperatures are good and the LED temperature reading provides an assurance that all is well
3. Internal lay out, shelves, door containers and drawers (veg crisper and freezer drawers) are surprisingly roomy and do hold a lot BUT I am nervous that the glass shelves may not bear the weight of heavier items e.g. Costco-sized bottles of olives or sundries tomatoes
4. The bottle rack takes up too much space
5. The vegetable crisper works well to keep veggies nice and fresh
6. The stainless steel on the front door is easy to keep clean with a microfibre lots, BUT is very thin - we got 2 dents in the door within the first couple of weeks

We kept the old fridge as a spare, but that filled up quickly and as the noises were getting louder and stranger, we bit the bullet in July and bought a second Samsung.

So far, so good. Fingers crossed we get a fair number of years out of them.

Any cons? It could be quieter. I took away 1 Star as it seems a little noisy.

Purchased in December 2018 at The Good Guys.

Internal Layout
Household Size 5 person(s)
This is what we like to hear! We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your Samsung Refrigerator and thank you for leaving your positive feedback :) We will also be passing on your notes on the noise level. If you have any questions, you can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Item leaked water and to repair it was $160 each time and Samsung didn’t want anything to do with it

An absolute disgrace and that it leaks water into the freezer department
Yes it maintains temp and that’s about all I can say about it
Yes it’s easy to open but once the water freezes in the bottom of the freezer the draw won’t open

Purchased in May 2014 for $1,450.00.

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with us, Brian. We've sent you a PM requesting for more information. When it's most convenient for you can you please send that through? Jo Samsung AUSold the fridge and now it’s someone ellses problem and I will no longer buy a any Samsung products

Perfect!

I wanted a larger fridge at a good price that was modern and would last. I already own other Samsung products so looked at a fridge. Can't fault it. Looks fabulous and has enough room and storage for our needs. Has smart sense but you can easily change the temperature. The ding noise goes off if left open too long which has saved me a couple of times when my daughter has left it open.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Good size

Yes easy to open and close doors open up wide so you can cleaning is easy to do and you can get all the parts out to clean love this fridge so easy to use and keep food in order and keeps things together I have tell all my friends

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Overall satisfied and would recommend

After having read many reviews and spoken to many work colleagues, we opted for the Samsung bottom mount fridge and are pleased with our purchase. Generally the fridge is quiet and we barely notice it operating. In comparison to other makes we've had (Westinghouse, Electrolux), the Samsung compressor is quieter and is less distracting when reading / watching TV etc..

Functionally the interior design is good - we like the wine rack, moveable shelves, and plenty of space in door for bottles etc.
Easy to use, and looks good aswell.
Happy Customer overall !

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Happy customers makes us happy, Martin! Thank you for sharing your review with us.

Great fridge but design flaw with freezer draw

Fridge is great, good price etc... but there is an obvious design flaw with the freezer draw (yes, Google it). When you pull it out enough to actually get things out of it it will fall off it’s railing and you have to physically lift it back on to put it back in. If you don’t mind doing this, it’s a pretty good fridge.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi there, we would be happy to arrange a service call and send a technician out to assess your fridge, please reach out to our Facebook inbox and we will arrange this for you > Facebook > m.me/SamsungAustralia -Vicky

Great fridge

I bought this fridge about a month, and am not regretting it! This fridge is everything i was looking for, space, energy efficient, and most of all COLD! This has been the best whitegoods purchase i have ever made! If you are Looking for a nice sized sophisticated fridge - then this is the one for you! Not only these, the design of the shape is also unparalleled, and it is particularly convenient to use, its separation of each compartment is particularly good, the temperature is also maintained Very reliable, overall good!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Can't fault it

Just ticked over two years with this fridge. Open plan layout of our home means the fridge is only 3 metres from where we sit to watch TV, and we never hear it. Extremely quiet (our 1st priority), very well thought out interior and like the wine rack built in. Free delivery from Appliances Online was a bonus.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great fridge

Have had this fridge for over 4 months controls temperature very well.Lighting is excellent LEDs at front either side of fridge are very bright There is an shelf that folds in half so that you can store taller items at the front of the fridge. The shelfs in the door of the fridge are a reasonable size. It is a very quite fridge and seems to be very good quality .Like the freezer at the bottom of this fridge it is a decent size draws are very good as well.The rack for putting bottles in horizontally is a great space saver . No alarms for when doors are left open . Easy to adjust temperature as when you open it controls and led indications are at top of fridge behind top door seal.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A good fridge

I like this fridge. It replaced an ancient rattling ancient unit, so maybe anything would have seemed good by comparison, but food is fresher for longer, noise and power consumption much lower and obviously looks much better.

The full length handles are convenient, the vege crisper tray goes right across the fridge so can handle long veges.
The only slight downsides are the freezer drawers are hard to pull all the way out. The temperatures seemed to go off at one stage but just restarted the fridge to reset whatever computer it has inside and its worked fine since.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Excellent features with great Energy Rating

I bought this fridge about a month ago, and am not regretting it! This fridge is everything i was looking for, space, energy efficient, and most of all COLD! This has been the best whitegoods purchase i have ever made! If you are looking for a nice sized sophisticated fridge - then this is the one for you!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good fridge but nothing spectacular

This is a good fridge, it does the job but seems smaller inside than expected. Freezer isn't overly large if you have a whole family using it. Energy efficiency is good but sometimes it can be a bit noisy. Next time I would buy one with a water dispenser built in.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

poor space arrangement

The biggest complaint comes from the unadjustable shelve height. Even though it's a bigger capacity fridge than our old Whirlpool, it holds much less food due to its poor shelf design. Another minus point is that the shelves don't slide out like our old Whirlpool. The finish looks cheap too.

I have seen similar complaints from other reviewers about the rigid shelf height makes the fridge very user unfriendly. What a shame. It would have been a great fridge if only the shelves and the door pockets could be adjusted.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Mia, thank you for sharing your review with us. We are always looking for ways to improve our products, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. Philip Samsung Australia

Hi, ive just bought one of these. ive noticed when i open the door theres almost like a fan type noise that runs for a bit, abut 10 seconds or so, then the noise goes away. when i close the door it comes back on for same amount of time then goes away. is anyone else experience this issue/sound?
I haven't encountered any such noticeable fan sound in my fridge, but occasionally overnight sounds like ice cubes falling into something, even though I'm not using the ice cube tray.The thermostat on modern fridges will activate the fan and compressor as soon as the fridge's electronics detect that the door has been opened.I don’t think that’s the case. As the problem is intermittent.

what size allen key tighten handle on SRL 457MW please
2MM Hex key with ball end profile fits the Grub Screws on my fridge door handles.

Can the doors opening angle be limited to 90 degrees?
Hey Marek, are you enquiring of whether you are able to limit the fridge door's opening to a maximum of 90 degrees? Any further information will help clarify our understanding. Jo Samsung AUHi Jo, Yes, that's correct. The fridge is in an enclosure and a wall on the opening side is long and interferes with the fridge/freezer door. Therefore I need to limit the fridge opening to a maximum of 90 degrees. Looking forward to hearing from you Cheers, Marek PS I have a photo that describes clearly the problem but I could not paste it hereThanks for letting us know, Marek. We recommend for you to use for example, padding if you would like to avoid the doors from hitting the wall in the enclosure as the refrigerator's doors are unable to be adjusted to a limit of 90 degrees. Jo Samsung AU

Samsung SRL458ELS (Silver)Samsung SRL457MW (White)
CategoryBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators
Price (RRP) $1,599$1,499
Dimensions 1700 x 700 x 747 mm1700 x 700 x 747 mm
Energy Rating4 star(s)4 star(s)
Household Size 4-5 people4-5 people
FeaturesDisplay Panel, Door Alarm , Foldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free, Ice Dispenser and Wine RackDisplay Panel, Door Alarm , Foldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free, Ice Dispenser and Wine Rack
Colour / Finish SilverWhite
Handle Type External External
Smart Fridge NoNo
Shelf MaterialGlassGlass
Number of Shelves44
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins 11
Weight91 kg91 kg
Door Hinge RightRight
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Capacity