Sauber Excellence SE-400

See the Best Barrel Vacuum Cleaners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good performance but cheap hardware.

We bought this vacuum cleaner about 2.5 years ago. Its performance is impressive but the hardware is cheap for what it costs. Just after a few months of buying it, discolouration spots started to appear on the golden surface. The cover was replaced at no cost but the staff were not helpful when it came to these things. More recently, the plastic part inside the visualiser would come off whenever I start vacuuming. Very disappointing! When I raised the issue with Godfrey’s staff in the Kotara store, they were very unhelpful as if it was my problem. Very disappointing for what you’re paying! They were very helpful when we were in the process of buying the vacuum cleaner but extremely unhelpful when dealing with them regarding problems and issues.

Purchased in September 2016.

Noise Level
Product is used: Monthly
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet
Clogging Issues Yes
Hello Vanja, We are sorry to hear of the issue you experience. We would like to look into this further for you. Can you please contact us on 1800 815 270 to provide further information? When contacting us please quote your customer reference number 345474. Regards, The sauber Team

Broke the vacuum curse!

Pro's
*never loses suction- ever!
* heaps of attachments
*handy cup section saves on bags, one bag a year!
* brings colour back to carpet and will suck an amazing amount of sand out, not to mention not a hair is left on the ground.
* handy for blowing up mattresses
* air purifiers
The warranty is worth the product
Cons:
*It is top heavy and constantly falls over, damaging cup section and loosening seals
*The whole vacuum is heavy to pull
* bulky and awkward
*The seals on handles separate due to heaviness when pulling turbo up and down.
*price

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Best vacuum ever

Ive had my vacuum for just about 4 years and its amazing i would definitely get another one . The only thing i dont really like about it is going around corners apart from that ive had no problems . Love it how my family come over and bring there blow up mattress and i can use the vaccum to blow it up .

Date PurchasedNov 2014
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with your machine and that it comes in handy when the family come round. We hope you have a great day! Regards, The Sauber Team

Best Vacuum Ever Had

With a husky x and 2 cats, we have always been on the market for the best vacuum to clean our long carpets in our house. We have tried all the top brands from Godfreys and Harvey Norman from Dyson, Wertheims, Vorwerks and I can not go past the Sauber Excellence.

The price is definitely the key concern for post with RRP $2200, but the stores are willing to be negotiated down to $1700-1800.

I highly recommend the bag saver attachment as this captures so much of the dust and saves money on replacement bags.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Best ever bought

Yes its big just like the old Kirbys and Electroluxs. As a matter of fact its a luxury arm of Electrolux but you know its big and heavy when you buy it. Has fantastic filter system and when using visualiser extends bags by 6 months. Read manual carefully as you only change bag when LCD display says to not if you think it looks full. Cleans carpet better than some so called professionals and has an attachment for everything. $2500 less $300 for trade in is at the top end but does come with 10 years free annual servicing. If you stick to what the display tells you about what needs changing and service once a year should last ages.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Good but !!!

I purchased this product from Godfreys . My main concern was ease of use .. The salesman showed me on the floor of Godfreys and it seemed to do everything . Yes ...He was correct it does a really good job but it is so heavy and the suction tube kinks which I was told it wouldn't . I hate vacuuming and told godfreys my concern about the unit hitting into furniture etc .. They said "NO" it glides easily . I hate this vacuum cleaner ..it is so hard to use and very heavy . I paid over $1500 for it . I went to Godfreys to buy the expensive bags and yes they were out of stock !!!! I don't reside close to a city and will have to drive again over 100 kms to purchase the overpriced bags ....Go figure ?

Date PurchasedNov 2010
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the machine and we would like to see if there is anything we can do to assist you with troubleshooting. Please contact us on 1800 728 237 and quote reference number 304961. Regards, The Sauber Team

Love it excellent for dog hair.

So easy to manoeuvre not heavy at all, cleans beautifully every time had it for 2 years now not one issue. Great for carpets picking up all the dust underneath, and the power head does all the work, plus have used it as a air purifier which works well. Love it. Worth the money.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Good product but very expensive.

Purchased this vacuum cleaner from Godfreys Parramatta. Salesperson convinced me to buy the product for $1800. Initially, I was very happy but over the period I realized that it is very heavy for daily use. Overly priced. I won't recommend it although the quality is very good. Not fit for my purpose.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

What a rip off

Had the gold excellence unit for over 2 years and had I not paid over $2.5K for it I would have burnt it years ago .
To date :-
1 - extension tube has always been extremely difficult to extend and retract , cable tube is broken
2 - unflexable hose ends are broken
3 - cord wont retract
4 - hepa warning continually locks out operation (a new very expensive Sauber filter has been installed correctly)
5 - main on / off switch on top of machine only works intermittently
6 - this is the most awkward / cumbersome machine I have ever had the misfortune to use let alone own .
7 - spare parts are so expensive that I cant afford to fix machine not that I would waste money on this rubbish .

I only have a small place with a small lounge and 3 small bedrooms with carpet in them so machine has never been overworked .

Regards .
Brad McAlpine .
Adelaide South Australia .

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback. We would like to look into your experience further so could you please contact us on 1800 728 237 and quote case number 302762? Regards, The Sauber TeamWill do later today

Over priced crap

This brand is not from Switzerland as Godfrey's told me - it is a Godfrey's brand dressed up like a superior brand, when in fact it is a cheap piece of crap made in China. I've had mine 4 years and I've repaired it a few times already. I've spent about $700 repairing it and it cost over $1000. It's a scam. You would be better off buying a cheap one for $200 or not even bothering and hiring one from the supermarket.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Hi B.C, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. The Sauber machines are made in Switzerland, not in China. We would like to look into this further for you in regards to your repairs. Can you please contact us on 1800 728 237 and quote your customer reference number 300946, to discuss further. Regards, The Sauber Team

Heavy. Clunky. Not 'bagless'.

Waste of money. Says it's bagless with the attachment but you can't operate the vacuum without a bag in. I've hated this thing ever since it's been introduced into my household.

It's very clunky and it does not maneuver well throughout the house.

Better off getting a Dyson. Don't be sold to at Godfreys. Unfortunately that happened to the person in my home that bought it.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Works great, but bulky

Pro: This product works great. The attachments work great. I have gone directly behind a professional cleaner and been blown away at how much extra, it has picked up. The visualiser is a great addition. Worth the extra spend. it saves from filling up the vacuum bag and makes for easy disposal of waste. the power lead is extra long. It comes with a couple of free maintenance services, so it will always be in tip top shape.

Con: It is a bit bulky and difficult to move around in tight spaces. Heavier than a conventional vacuum. The wand hose is quite stiff and large which is the main issue with it being hard to maneuver in tight spaces. The motorised head still gets hair tangled around it

All in all, a great bit of gear. quite expensive but will be a once in a lifetime investment. this product is right up there with the Kirby vacuum... but half the price.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Best vacuum I have ever owned

I love this vacuum I have cats and dogs inside and it picks up all of their fur from the carpets and the lounges .
I find it easy to manuever but it is not a light vacuum by any means, I love being able to control the suction power on my carpets and hardwood floors plus the extra attachments that come with it and it also comes with a 10 year warranty and a service .

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned

Over the years I have owned many different brands of vacuums like Dyson, Miele, Electrolux and Nilfisk. Hands down this is the best out of all the vacuum cleaners I have owned. I have a few properties so I have tended to experiment with the popular brands that are quite good but they all fail to meet my high expectations, I have alot of carpets and pets which means pet hair is a big problem. Nothing else has managed to clean my carpets and remove those stubborn pet hairs as good as the Sauber Excellence. This has an actual deep cleaning powerhead and not an air driven turbohead as many of those other brands which I was informed of by the salesman and I can really see the difference.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Money well spent

You can never go wrong with this vacuum. The suction is the best. We also have this clear bottle that connects to the vacuum which shows how all the dust going in . It's not easy to store though but the motor on the head is powerful. You can turn motor on or you can use it without turning it on. But when the motor is on it's easy to maneuver. My carpet always feels extra clean and it's great for my crawling baby

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Cleans like no other

I use the sauber over many different types of floors and surfaces and find that it cleans very deeply. However it has let us down once when we were moving home and had to clean the house to receive our bond. The sauber failed to work and needed to be fixed. This was when it was about 6 months old. It was fixed within a week at no charge from the vacuum store we bought it from. The small powerhead lifts Labrador hairs right off the lounge every time. I love how you can adjust the strength of suction on the handle. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it is so incredibly heavy and difficult at times. You need to position it perfectly in one room before beginning to vacuum and if you need to move anywhere you have to stop what you're doing to focus on the position of the machine. I wouldn't recommend it for lugging up stairs. I guess it needs to be so heavy for how well it works. It always draws out an impressive amount of dust and dirt.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Can't buy any better than this

Best vacuum, will make your carpets cleaner than clean. Other vacuums are just a waste of money. This one is awesome if you hate dusty environments or if you're asthmatic. Awesome on cars and the turbo attachment (although expensive) is a must to save you money buying bags.

Definitey buying any new models they release next. Wish more people were selling second hand but not many people want to sell it once they have it.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great product.

Great product, does a awesome job. But since I've purchased the machine I've noticed a couple of things.
1. The hose is a bit stiff and won't untwist readily.
2. With the length of the machine, it's a little hard to manuvre it tight spaces.
We have carpet and vinyl floors and with a siberian husky, a lot of fur in the house.
The visualizer is a absolute must as it would cost a fortune in bags to keep the place clean.

December 5th 2017 Update: Sauber SE-400

I have approximately 83 sq meters of tile and vinyl floors with 2 long haired dogs and 2 long haired cats. The machine is a little hard to manuvre in tight spaces but otherwise a very good machine. I've purchased the bag saver attachment and it's just awesome. Marvelous. Even with the animals I will only use 2 to 3 bags per year otherwise I'll use 1 bag per week ( very expensive ).

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Amazing, stop wondering if you have allergies.

I thought I had a clean house. After an impressive demonstration I bought Sauber Gold on weekly payment & it picked up 3_4 times more dust then my old bagless/famous brand vacuum. It is still picking up more dust after using 6 times at my home. With in a week, I find big difference with asthma to my kids.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Worth the money

In the morning I Vacuumed the house with the ducted Vacuum. At lunch I purchased the Sauber SE-400 to replace the Dyson, which I used for particular rugs and in areas the ducted doesn't do a good job.
When I got the Sauber home, I vacuumed all my carpets and rugs again, it filled the dust bag up. Truly, I can't believe how much more it beats out of the carpet. There is one rug in the office, which I could never get clean with the Dyson, but with the Sauber, not a speck on the rug. The price is VERY HIGH, but I really think its worth it compared to those rubbish Dysons (I've gone through two already). Recommended it you have carpets and rugs. One complaint, the telescopic pole extension is difficult to close.

Date PurchasedMay 2017