Up in smoke!
Having owned this microwave just on 2 years, today it decided to go up in smoke with a putrid burning smell. Upon inspecting the inside of the microwave I find that the inside of the door has melted away where it makes contact with the door frame which it closes against, and has also burnt the same said door frame.
Not good enough Sharp and considering all these other reviews that I have read with a similar problem no doubt there is some sort of design issue that Sharp is not addressing!
Fire in the House
Sharp R350YW purchased 2/3/13 for my aged mother who lives alone.
I used it for her yesterday and about 10 seconds after start there was a burning smell, on inspection there was fire coming out the internal grille on the right side. This stopped when the unit was turned off.
I hate to think what would have happened if she had been the user and left the room while it was running.
Dangerous and four years is a short life for a mw compared with others I have owned.
Just out of warranty and broken
Purchased just over a year ago and the microwave has had light use. I purchased Sharp because my previous microwave only lasted a year and a prior Sharp had last 20 years. I was looking for a quality machine that would last. Well it was pointless!
I contacted Sharp, who advise that I must take to a repair centre to have the microwave evaluated, the repair centre is 2 hours drive away and I have to pay $50 diagnosis fee before I even find whats wrong with it or if they are even going to fix it.
The microwave worked fine until it short ci...rcuited that part of my house and ceased to work. For the price and hassle its not worth driving 2 hours, which I suspect these companies know and therefore are not concerned with their machines lasting little over 12 months. Microwave heading to landfill!
- R350YW (White)
Yes I have had the same problem today with my sharp R350YW. The microwave was on and smelt a putrid burning smell. When I opened the door there was a severe burn on the centre of the door and front of the oven floor. Terrible fumes and smell still in the house. I'm scared to use it again. Not happy. Beware!!
I had purchased this microwave nearly two years ago. Was heating up food and could smell a burning smell couldn't figure out what it was until i had opened the microwave door. One spot inside the door was burnt and the seal had melted. This is now unsafe to use. This microwave was not cheap. Won't be purchasing a Sharp microwave again.
- R350YW (White)
So very disappointed this time round
We had our first SHARP microwave for over 15 years, so when we needed a new one SHARP was the obvious choice This one for 15 Months. It lost power half way through cooking dinner tonight and that's it. So disappointed and of course just outside of warranty. Hard to justify buying another sharp after this experience and that of most other reviewers.
After 2 years the display stopped working and it cost more to replace the display than it does to replace microwave...we are hoping we will get better life out of a different brand when we purchase new microwave now. We threw this microwave out. Can't believe it....$260 for 2yr life. Terrible.. not happy and would not recommend.
- R350YW (White)
Haven't had a worse one!
It was great when I got it but recently it burnt me as I reached in to get the food (the inside of the door had an extremely hot part). Not only that it was only weeks later (happened days ago) that there was sparks and smoke from that same part. It is 3 months out of warranty! Too dangerous so I had to buy a new one... So dissapointed... Not an expense I counted in but rather that than something potentially worse!!!!
Door melted on new machine and again on replacement
We purchased the original microwave and within the month the door and frame sparked and melted. We received a replacement but had to go for about a month without one and that was annoying when we had baby bottles to sterilise, etc. When we got the replacement the light stopped working within the month but we couldn't go without a microwave again so we put up with that. Then today the door melted on thus one too. Going to take it back to the shop but very cautious about getting this one again.
If all you want to do is to heat up your food and if you are 70 and 80 years old do not go near this one.
All I wanted was to heat up my milk and food and I need a university degree.
So upset with this purchase. I chose this one with numbers. To make it easy for my 80 year old husband it so has a stupid cooling cycle, why?
Don't buy Sharp internally painted microwave
My R330y(w) started to rust after a couple of months. Sharp have washed there hands of the problem stating they know that it happens.
Thank you for your contacting Sharp Customer Care.
I do apologise if you are having issue with your Sharp microwave.
Please note: we do not cover rust either in our out of warranty. Rust is caused by any food, spatter, or foreign material getting onto the paint, which then burns when exposed to microwaves. It then melts the paint and exposes the metal, and the metal oxidises and rusts o...vertime and spreads rapidly. It can also tend to happen around the joints at the edges inside the microwave, where there may already be some thin paint on the metal (since it is very difficult for food spatter to get into these tight spaces).
I purchased the R350 Y W sharp microwave oven back in Oct 2014. I have always been happy with Sharp products until this one. Recently if you start the microwave after about 3 seconds it will make terrible noises and spark . Not prepared to use it agsin. The microwave is now out of warranty. I called sharp who gave me a couple of approved service repairer contact details. The service repairer stated it would cost a service fee to examine the microwave and then it would be up to Sharp to state if they will replace it . Not prepared to pay a ser...vice fee and the time to drop off and collect the microwave. From this review Web site looks like I am not alone with having problems with this particular model. Even if Sharp offered to replace it what guarantee this won't happen again. Feeling disappointed
Burning smell, burnt door
I admit we got our Sharp microwave s/h but it wasn't very old. Today it started to smell while in use, giving off that acrid 'electrical burning' smell. I immediately disconnected it and opened the door to find a 25mm-long burn mark on the bottom lip of the door, with corresponding burn mark on the case. For a fairly new m/w oven I'm not impressed; I threw it in the dumpster.
- R350YW (White)
I bought the microwave 3 years ago, but after about one year, a squeaking noise came out after every use. I was a bit worried at the beginning, but then just ignored it. Yet it does not it reduces my worry. It is only that I can't afford to dump it and get a new one when thinking about the short life of an appliance. I write this review at this time because my daughter is going to buy one for her new house, so I searched online for reviews.
- R350YW (White)
Dangerous! Don't buy!
My husband was melting butter and the microwave door started melting and burning as the metal next to the door was sparking. Lucky that he was able to switch it off quickly before it caused any more damage. We bought this microwave as our previous Sharo Carousel lasted many years. This one lasted 18 months. Won't be buying another Sharp.
Questions & Answers
Hi I washed the inside of my microwave with water and dish wash liquid then I heard a loud bang and now it doesn’t work.
Do you think I blew the fuse if yes how do I change it?
How do I set the clock on my Sharp R350YW Microwave?
Hi Lyn, Thank you for your question. We encourage you to contact our Customer Care team by phone on 1300 135 022 so that they can troubleshoot and assist you accordingly.
Get an answer from our members and Sharp representatives
|Features||Child Safety Lock, Grill Function, Inverter and Sensor Cooking|
|Dimensions||310 x 520 x 448 mm|
|Door Mechanism||Push Release|
|Manufacturer Warranty||1 year(s)|
|Colour / Finish||White|
|Release date||Nov 2011|
- MPN: 35904364 and R350YW
- GTIN13: 4974019711515
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.