5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Hedge Trimmers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

ANOTHER GOOD TOOL

Just bought the tool a few weeks ago after borrowing the same from a neighbour to cut invading goldenrods in a specific area of my property. It proved so effective, and I had so much need for it for other endeavour that I decided for the purchase.
On a 7 acres plot of land, mostly forrested, with vegetable gardens and about 20, 000 sq ft of lawn, we have many trails leading into the woods, and areas around the lawn and the gardens which are bordered with wild raspberries outgrowth, wild mulberries, goldenrods and other invasive bushes. In the past years, I dealt with those with hand tools, and often neglected to do so in view of the scope of the task at hand. My wife was not very happy with that since her skin reacts aversively to the tiny thorns on these bushes.

The tool is as heavy as a chainsaw (around 10 pounds, before fuel), it is a 2 cycle engine needing a 1:50 mix of oil and gas. It starts easily with the help of a priming bulb and a choke. It needs a couple of minutes of warming up before it reaches its full engine speed. Blades are very sharp and effective, cutting everything as neat as a piece of cake, even small and flexible outgrowths. Up and down movement with such weight is demanding on the long run, but you have to consider that residential equivalent available at Husqvarna and Echo are a couple of pounds heavier.

A plastic gauge on the blade limits the size of branches to be cut out, so as to protect the tool integrity. I guess that it should easily chop up to 1/4 to 1/2 inch of material, but I have not tested that. Needs the blades to be oiled each every fuel tank of mix, and the reciprocating transmission to be greased every 20 hours or so through specific holes.

So far, I operated the tool for a couple of hours with great satisfaction and great outcome. My wife is happy and I am happy. Other Shindaiwa tools I am operating are proving reliable and comfortable to operate: chainsaw 502s ( great many years), dorsal leaf blower (many years), lawn trimmer (2 years).