Sikkens Cetol Deck

See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Beautiful finish but needs care

I have been using this product for 12 years. Do the prep work as per instructions for best results.
We need to re-coat every 6-12 months where timber is exposed to full sun.

Purchased in September 2019 for $219.00.

Painted SurfaceWood
Longevity

Gavan E

Gavan E

Very ordinary

This product is way overpriced and over rated.Slip resistant for a very short time but after normal wear for about a week/ fortnight it loses its non slip.At about $45/litre it is not worth it. Adds a yellowish colour, not transparent as it states and in non wearing areas of the deck there is a build up of unsightly stain.Takes 24 hours to dry which is a pain if you need to use the deck.Trying to remove it to renovate your deck is another matter...it is a nightmare to remove.If you want to use sikkens..just use the cetol, without the slip resiatant.

Purchased in September 2018 for $45.00.

Painted SurfaceWood
Longevity
Curtis

CurtisSouth East Queensland, QLD

Average

Provides a good finish but needs a lot of prep, it's expensive and it doesn't last long. Also be careful with the stain colours. Even the pine colour gives a stain. Decent, but not worth the money.

Satisfactory: but depends what you are looking for

Have sold and used this product for many years along with flood spa n deck, Intergrain Ultradeck/DWD and Cutek and would rate this product as satisfactory considering the price. Gives a great finish that is second to none however is often referred to as 'liquid gold' as the price is high and increasing every year. As far as longevity it could last longer when accounting a drum costs $600-700 as it faded in about 8 months. It really depends on what you are after. If you are willing to re-coat the deck every year in full sun then sikkens is the elite option with best finish, however if you want a product with more longevity Spa N deck we have found is the longest lasting (roughly 2 years depending on exposure).

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Terry B

Terry BPerth

Very good product, but with limitations

Have used this product on and off for years. It is a very good product, but with limitations. The two biggest problems we have encountered is that the time between treatment/costs is always sooner than the product material suggests. The second is most of Sikkens products are a stain Vs. a strict oil protective coating. After a few coats the natural timber grain is lost under the stain. This combined with a tendency to attract and absorb dirt sees the timber get very dark very quickly. We still use Sikkens and it is a good product, its a pain to prepare the surface and expensive to use. For areas that we insist on retaining a timber finish we use other products or varnish.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

i am a professional painter operating as Calgary quality painting i started using Sikkens cetol 1 for my customers more than 2 years ago for decks and fences after i sand down to the bare wood decks i apply a heavy coat of Sikkens cetol . my customers are very happy with the results it penetrates in the wood and protects it for many years searching for photos and reviews under Calgary quality painting.com is the best stain if you use it correctly

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Peter B

Peter BBrisbane

Expensive waste of time and money for a terrible result.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

ganesha

ganesha

7 years later.....

It's seven years since I coated my decking with Sikkens Deck. It previously had Setol HLS on it. I followed instructions on the tin and gave it three coats. Just done a re-coat after seven years, and must say that it held up extremely well. I live in the tropics with harsh sun and rain often blowing in. The 12 monthly re-coating advice is possibly for the most extreme locations, and best to use your common sense. Of course they want to sell product hence this advice.

Date PurchasedMar 2010
Albervin

AlbervinWollongong

Does what it says

I have a massive Karri deck on my house. I painted each plank with two coats top, bottom and sides before fitting. A final coat was applied after nailing. The two areas that get most sun have deteriorated because I was slack about maintenance but the rest of the deck looks superb. I wash well and re-coat every two years and the colours of the wood remain the same. Karri can vary in colour from deep red (like Jarrah) to a caramel/beige and the look is what I was always after. Be aware that some woods do not take stain well and can be disappointing so do your homework before forking out the money.

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Kathy M

Kathy M

Sikkens Cetol Deck

We used the Sikkens series of deck products - BL tannin & oil remover, BL Deck, HLSe & Deck - to finish a hardwood deck. We followed all the instructions and also allowed the deck to season for 3 months before applying everything else. The surface on the area exposed to full sun degraded within months. Sikkens response is to make it my problem. My advice would be to reconsider purchasing the EXPENSIVE & DISAPPOINTING product. In my experience, there was absolutely no value gained from spending the extra money.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Robyn

Really great.

Marc

Marc

Worst exterior product I have ever used

Applied following strictly the instructions on the tin. The product failed within 3 month. The coat film turned black and peeled off. Thier customer service was arrogant and dismissive. I would give zero stars if possible.

Bobby Vee

Bobby VeeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Top shelf

Sikkens is a world class product that is head and shoulders against other deck stains, oils and look alikes. Been using Sikkens for 23 years and have always been satisfied. Not cheap, but worth ever dollar. Takes 24 hours to dry and looks terrific when cured. You will not be disappointed.
Professional
Re coat every 12 months

Dr Rob

Dr RobPERTH

Sikkens Cetol Deck

Great product but like every outdoor wood product needs to be redone every 12 months in exposed areas. Sikkens have now developed a brush with long handle for application so it takes less than half an hour for me to apply to whole deck. Needs to be applied to dry deck so if need to wash the deck the day before application.
Quick easy to apply and looks great
Have to redo every year or so in exposed areas