Sikkens Cetol HLSe

Sikkens Cetol HLSe

3plusoneSydney

Long lasting beautiful finish in harsh weather

I have just written a very long review on Cetol HLS - but now its called HLSe (I've been using it since the 1980s) so that review should be here.
    This is a great wood finish for exterior use, it holds up on my west facing, full sun, rain, hail, windy deck high up on a hill. The deck looks beautiful after application of 2 coats. It is expensive so I paint it on by hand so the finish is perfect.
    In the past 20 years Ive replaced lots of parts of the house but the deck shows no sign of deteriorating...it is very well surface protected.
    I'll always use Cetol for timber it is worth the price and effort to apply carefully on each board.
    Hardware and General Brookvale has a Cetol sale each year so I buy when there is a discount available.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
    PeterH

PeterHNSW, 2112

Worked very well on my merbau steps and handrail.

This product worked for me on my DAR merbau steps and handrails. I first gave them a scrub with oxalic then left them to weather for 3 months. I'm now using Cetol on my 2-year old back fence; too early to give a review but the DAR hardwood (not sure what it is) is soaking up to HLS as it should do. If the oil isn't penetrating the timber then it isn't working. But my previous experience of treating timber together with the list of bad reviewers confirms that this is a tricky task. If Sikkens didn't work for you then I wonder if anything else would have?

greg58asked

I have just sanded my old cedar French doors on the back deck under cover.
    What would you suggest in tint to get back to the rich original look in colour .should I go a light or dark oat or just apply the light pine coat in the Cetol BLX pro ....thanks

3plusone

I was getting a quote yesterday for new front gates in cedar and I asked the man if I should paint them and he answered 'with Sikkens' and I said 'Cetol HLSE' and he nodded. Good tradesmen know Cetol finishes.
    It is a beautiful product. It glides on, the wood grain and age show through, it takes a couple of coats, then if its in full sun, after about 6 years a very light sand with fine paper and its ready to recoat.
    It is very expensive but its a very professional finish. I buy it when Hardware and General are having a birthday or paint sale - but I buy 10 litre tins for my deck so I have to find best price.
    I add 'Prooftint' in Cedar color but that gives it a deep red brown color. The golden Tassie Oak is a good color BUT Cetol provides colors, so Prooftint is not necessary.

3plusone

The Cetol HLSE that I used on interior timber in BBQ kitchen was put on over 10 years ago and it is still same as day it was put on. Same with interior laundry windows - but exterior facing west and being rained on - needs recoating after about 6-7 years.

greg58

Many thanks and appreciate your help.I was leaning for the water basedCetol BLX pro as opposed to oil based Hlse as easier and cleaner but not sure on whether it is as good on resanded timber which originally may have been oiled but can’t remember .Have you any thought on the tint to go with ie light oak three coats be dark enough

Cabinboy

Cabinboyasked

can I apply sickens cetol filter plus with a roller and if so which type?

Lynne P.asked

Just finished re painting my timber doors with Sikkens Cetol HLSe. its looks pretty flat and notice that the tin says its basecoat, what do I now put on top to give it a bit of sheen ?

Another coat?
    HLSe is a shiny surface on teak outdoor furniture but not so shiny on the cypress decking boards.
    It lasts longer on outdoor furniture too. Final look must depend on timber? I use a small roller for doors not a brush.
    There will be a contact number on tin so it would be worth a call.
    I remember the surface was really glossy after 2 coats on a new cedar fireplace, the carpenter at Balmain who had a shop selling heritage cast iron fireplaces and new cedar surrounds was the person who first sold me Cetol (that was in 1984 - its still the best finish, I'm so pleased I learned that early in home ownership).

Have done 3 coats and it’s dull