Sikkens Cetol HLSe

See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Long lasting beautiful finish in harsh weather

I have just written a very long review on Cetol HLS - but now its called HLSe (I've been using it since the 1980s) so that review should be here.
This is a great wood finish for exterior use, it holds up on my west facing, full sun, rain, hail, windy deck high up on a hill. The deck looks beautiful after application of 2 coats. It is expensive so I paint it on by hand so the finish is perfect.
In the past 20 years Ive replaced lots of parts of the house but the deck shows no sign of deteriorating...it is very well surface protected.
I'll always use Cetol for timber it is worth the price and effort to apply carefully on each board.
Hardware and General Brookvale has a Cetol sale each year so I buy when there is a discount available.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Worked very well on my merbau steps and handrail.

This product worked for me on my DAR merbau steps and handrails. I first gave them a scrub with oxalic then left them to weather for 3 months. I'm now using Cetol on my 2-year old back fence; too early to give a review but the DAR hardwood (not sure what it is) is soaking up to HLS as it should do. If the oil isn't penetrating the timber then it isn't working. But my previous experience of treating timber together with the list of bad reviewers confirms that this is a tricky task. If Sikkens didn't work for you then I wonder if anything else would have?

I have Teak widows/ garage door and about to varnish them. I aim to maintain them every 2 years, what do you recommend I use

After a light sand and two coats of sikkens stain we applied a cetol deck slip resistant coat. After drying we did have some rain and now when it rains the deck becomes yellow in patches. What needs to be done to rectify this problem?

I have just sanded back some old french doors and sash windows. Originally I was going to paint them but after seeing the the years of old paint reveal the beautiful western red cedar, it seems a shame to paint over them. I have used Sikkens on my back doors which face full west and due to me not being great at maintenance, are now peeling and require standing back and redoing. my questions is, the windows and doors in question face north and south and are under awnings so therefore not much direct sun. If I finish the windows with Sikkens HCSe base coat and finish with the recommended top coat, how long will the finish last till I have to sand and recoat?

CategoryPaints & Varnishes