Silampos Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker

Silampos Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker

6 Litre and 8 Litre

See the Best Pressure Cookers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

A broken lid handle.

A broken lid handle and screw , which isn’t made of very good material. Apparently isn’t under warranty according to this rip off company , well I will go on social media , and warn other people to be very aware of this mob of thieves , they are absolute pigs

Date PurchasedAug 2017

staple kitchen item!

This the most time effective kitchen item yet! we cook a lot of large family meals in this in 1 45min-1.5 hrs when usually it would take 4+hrs. the actual saucepan or bottom component and great for browning meat or veggies before securing the lid. stocks are great in this because instead of taking 8-24 hrs it can take just 2! Admittedly using one takes a little getting used to and you have to fiddle around a bit to find what works for you but it is invaluable to us now!

Takes some getting used to

I bought the Silampos classic specifically to use on an induction hotplate, my trusty old Arcosteel is not induction compatible. I’ve been using a pressure cooker for at least 15 years, so the classic would meet my needs also I want something that will last 20, 30, 40 years, so I don’t want electronic components that will fail in a couple of years.
It has taken a while to get used to something very different. Putting the seal in the right way and just how much to screw the lid down was a bit more tricky than simply clicking the lid into place with the old Arcosteel. Before making this purchase, I read a lot of reviews, but none informed me of the quirks or what it is like to use.
My first experiences using the Silampos were a little alarming; during cooking the valve spins very fast, puffs in a normal manner, and periodically lets off a big puff of steam. The first time I used it, I thought it was going to explode – and I’ve never had a pressure cooker explode! A great contrast to the old Arcosteel which puffs along at a steady pace for the whole cooking time, who knew pressure cookers could vary so much in their normal manner of operation! This is not a criticism; it is a matter of getting used to something different.
Pressure cooking on induction was new for me, instructions are usually for cooking on gas. I’ve found it works best to bring it to pressure at 1800w then switch to 140˚ It loses pressure instantly when I turn the heat off, so much for the touted benefits of the heavy base.
This is a good pressure cooker, but not for pressure cooking beginners or the faint-hearted.

Under the radar star

I did some serious homework before settling on the Silampos Classic which is the top of the range for this Potugese manufacturer which has been one of Europes top pressure cooker brands for around fifty years. The classic is made of heavy duty 18/10 stainless steel with a patented ss encapsulated base which heats up quickly and stores heat. It's also induction compatible.
The six litre version sits on a 20cm base which combined with the small and convenient side handles mean that we can use one of the small burners on our hob and still have plenty of space left for other pots.
It's easy to use though the instruction manual is minimal and needs careful reading before first use. We are using it about three times each week with great results.
My decision was made on the specs and I was prepared to pay over $200 but to my delight I picked it up from Kitchens Direct for under $120 in a package deal. Unbeatable value and spot on performance.

What is the base circumference for 8 liter and 10 liter ?
I am overseas at present. You should ask a dealer.Hi Ksoo, I have the 6 litre, the base circumference is 62cm. Sorry I can't answer for the 8L and 10L sizes.Thank you

Does the handles get hot of the Silampos cookware?
I havn't taken any notice, certainly they don't get hot to the extent that it is a problem. If you are using it properly you wouldn't touch the handles while it is cooking, and you would obviously use gloves to hold it to de pressure at the end of cooking.No, the handles don't get hot.

Silampos Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 8 LitreSilampos Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 6 Litre
Price (RRP) $259.00$239.00
TypeStove-topStove-top
Capacity8L6L
Dishwasher Safe PartsYesYes
Colour / Finish Stainless SteelStainless Steel
Outer Body Construction MaterialStainless SteelStainless Steel
Cooking Bowl MaterialStainless SteelStainless Steel
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)