Sirius SLEM 2 900 (90 cm)

Sirius SLEM 2 900 (90 cm) Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 AwardMPN:SLEM2900SEM1
Peter L.
Peter L.

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing SEM1 motor, and to install it in my root space (attic). However from my last venture in there I know it is very dusty. Would this have any impact to the running of the motor? Is it the motor completely sealed in other words from the outside elements? and by outside elements, i mean elements that are inside my attic.

Cheers

Ray
Ray

The motor is quite well sealed, although I have not seen it for a few years, it has survived in our roof space. Go for any extra warranty available though, I went through three separate motors, all installed the same way, in the same place, even the techs said it was a run of bad motors as they had replaced a number of them. Their after sales service was good though, they did replace each one, they must have sick of me after a while, they got the techs to send photos of it, check levels etc, they had no idea what went wrong. The repair company said the manufacturer was telling them to charge extra for lifting the roof sheets and that sort of work, but luckily the repair company here pushed back and told them it was part of the job, if they didn’t remove the sheet, they could not replace the motor.
So since the last replacement, no problems at all, probably about 2 years ago. My installer probably installed it a bit close to the eaves, it’s a bit of a tight fit, would have preferred it a bit further into the roof space.
Hope this helps, when it works, it works very well

Nick
Nick

Our u it is less then 1 year old, on numerous occasions the fan motor sound as if it’s jammed or seized. After turning it on/of/on after a few goes it’s start to draw, until today that is.. can’t get it to function at all. Just get a strained motor noise with no suck. How do I go about getting the motor replaced? It been happening since new but now we’re not in lock down it needs to be replaced..

Sirius   DM

Hi Nick, For repairs and replacements, it would be best to give Arisit Technical Support a call on 1300 762 219 to see if they can arrange for a service-person to come out to have a look.

Robyn

Can the external motor be placed outside in the weather?

PJHM
PJHM

Yes, SEM 2 motor is the external wall mount option in marine grade 316 stainless steel, SEM5 motor the same but for roof venting. We looked at both before purchasing but chose the SEM 1 roof cavity (not external grade) motor as we had the attic space.

Robyn

does it have to be placed back to back or could it be placed outside but under the balcony? Is there a minimum/ maximum distance for placement?

Sirius   DM

Hi Robyn, It is not recommended to put the motor back-to-back with the rangehood. The ideal distance from the rangehood to the motor is 4 - 5 metres for the best extraction. The max distance is 7 metres and the minimum is 2 metres.

Anita
Anita

Hi. I recently installed SLEM92S900SEM2 Sirius external wall motor. The fans dont work in number 1 and 2 and then in number 3 and 4 Its as noisy as any rangehood. Is this faulty ? Do I need to get the factory to have a look?

Sirius   DM

Hi Anita, It is difficult to determine the issue without seeing the rangehood. Please give Arisit technical support a call on 1300 762 219 to see if they can send a technician out to have a look.

Meeta J.
Meeta J.

How effective is the filter?

Sirius   DM

Hi Meeta J. The baffle filter is designed to catch grease and oil in the channels and stop it from dripping down onto the cooktop. As long as the filters are cleaned in the dishwasher every so often (depending on your cooking style) then the filters will stay in good condition and you shouldn't have a problem.

Harvinder pal singh
Harvinder pal singh

Can i get dimensions of 90cm SLEM2900SEM5 ext motor conapy

Sirius   DM

Hi Harvinder, Details specifications for rangehoods are available on the Sirius website.
external link

Lol
Lol

SL22990 SEM 1. There are no spring loaded clips, are they hidden in the canopy somewhere or missing or sold separate? Ugh .... hate to go back to store as I doubt they will have spare parts lying around and cannot wait for parts to be ordered so will most likely end up at bunnings..... please help!

Sirius   DM

Hi Lol, The spring-loaded clips are fixed to the top of the canopy where the flue attaches. If they aren't there, please call Arisit Spare Parts on 1300 762 219 to organise replacement parts.

michelle

One of the lights flickers on my slem2 rangehood. How do we fix this? Has always done this and I fairly new

Shumba

Smooth metal or plastic ducting seems works better than corrugated alu ducts? Also, kit exits for a colorbond roof?We have a high vaulted ceiling so in roof or on it better please? Thru the wall has not worked at all for us using another brand,

Angie1
Angie1

It is a metal semi rigid tubing so is much quieter than the soft corrugated tubing that is basic. Yes you can duct to ceiling- just tell the sales person when you order so you get the right motor. Check out www.sirius.com.au for more info and pics of installation.

michelle

Inside roof is better as on the roof is noisy. Also semi_ rigid ducting is best. Flexible is hopeless. Noisy, fills with grease and looses suction

Shumba

many thanks to commenters. SIrius say they will prob. put a motor on the external wall and use their good quality ducting. Expensive as we live far form a city but at least it will de done properly.

Mich W
Mich W

Hi, does anyone know if the return air flap that is directly above the filter is really critical? My plumber broke one flap. There's apparently another set of return air flaps at the motor ducting as well. Would the range hood work without the one directly above the filter?

Nona   I go now
Nona I go now

is it made in Italia?

does it recirculate?

Harshal

I’m not sure where it’s made. I don’t think it recirculates. I think its vents take the smell and steam out.

JOHN

Yes, it is made in Italy. The vent takes everything to the atmosphere.

michelle

I bought a slem2 rangehood today. I was expecting to feel strong suction when its running but can't feel anything. I can see the steam going up. Is that how its supposed to work or should I be able to feel some sort of suction?

Harshal

Yes that's how it works. Did you get the installation done from recommended plumber or unlicensed one?

JOHN

This is normal. Check to outlet just to be sure it is working satisfactory. There should be a strong air flow.

Englishcelticlady

We have a new 900 upright cooker with induction cooktop fitted in an alcove, is this cooker canopy suitable?

JOHN

I can't see why it would not be suitable

Englishcelticlady

I am worried about the condensation on the walls

vik
vik

How much is installation cost for Sirius SL EM 2 900 rangehood in a single level house in sydney's western suburbs?

K L
K L

If using the roof mount , the top will be connecting to the ceiling , so no dust can get into the tube. But we would like to use the wall mount motor , any ways to cover the tube so the dust can't get in? As well, any restrictions for wall mount the motoe outside?

Hi KL

I would suggest you to call Sirius company Arisit and ask them.

Harsh.

Sirius   DM

Hi KL, please call 1300 762 219 and we can assist you further. Kind regards, Ariston Team.

Kyles
Kyles

After going into harvey norman today thinking i was getting a certain brand of rangehood, the sales person pointed me at the Sirius SLEM2900SEM1 i was blown away with it. Needless to say i will be changing. I am however curious as to how much to have this unit installed by a licensed fitter? Could domeone help please.

Sirius   DM

Hi Kyles, that's great to hear. Please call Octopuss on 1300 072 691 and they will be able to guide you with installation. Octopuss is a licensed installation company who specialize in Sirius rangehood fittings. Kind regards, Sirius Brand.

Shumba

Octopuss (sic) number is wrong or obsolete

Deb P
Deb P

Hi, Mine unit is in the process of being installed...all going fine until tech trying to put the lower piece of ducting shroud on...is it meant to clip in?...He seems to get one part "in" but then the other side is sticking up, or if he gets the sides to sit better the front is sticking up i.e gap between shroud and top of hood and it looks dreadful! After much wrestling with it I politely suggested he get the senior electrician to investigate/complete installation. As these are not a cheap unit I expect it to fit properly...and YES the unit is level. Help!

James

Hi. Yes the shroud base should sit flush with the top of the canopy. There is a small channel at the top of the canopy and 2 springs on either side of the ducting mount so the shroud is held tight against the canopy by the two springs and the shroud sits in the channel. The shroud should also be flush against the wall. The channel allows for a small gap between the shroud and the canopy to be hidden as the canopy is also above eye level. It sounds like the canopy may not be perpendicular (at right angles to the wall)? So if the shroud is flush against the wall and canopy there is a gap at the front?

One solution that may fix is to cut the lower part of the shroud (the sides) so that the base of the shroud sits flush against the wall and the top of the canopy. But this is not easy as the stainless steel is quite hard. My ceiling is a bit lower so the lower part of the shroud was too tall. So I decided to cut the lower shroud so it acts as a 25cm tall collar and let most of the upper shroud hide the ducting. Took me about 45 mins patient cutting with a hacksaw. The cut part of the shroud was rough but it was hidden in the channel at the top of the canopy so it came up looking good. Will try to upload a link to some photos when I get home.

To answer your question, the shroud should sit flush against the wall and the top of the canopy and the ceiling.

James

Hi - here is a link to a photo of my rangehood - shows the shroud flush against the stainless steel splashback. The lower cut edge of the shroud was a little rough and uneven but this was hidden by the channel at the top of the rangehood where the shroud base sits. Springs at the top of the canopy keep the base of the shroud flush against the channel walls.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hp60qs/9 - copy and paste into the address bar of your browser

Paul

Whereabouts is the motor actually located if not directly under the hood? Does this make installation more difficult as I have a unit that needs replacing but was hoping to keep the existing ducting and this model looks similar to the one I currently have. Also is there an option to install LED lighting as opposed to the halogen globes? Regards, Paul

Ben
Ben

It's located in the roof cavity. Not sure about the globes.

James

As Ben says, the motor is in the roof - for the SLEM2 900 SEM1. I think EM stands for external motor. Was going to buy the "SEM5" (on roof motor) but the salesman said that they had a few customers return and exchange for a "SEM1" (in roof motor) due to noise complaints from neighbours as the motor is mounted on the roof for "SEM5". Pls refer Sirius link for the different motor mounting options: http://siriusbrand.com/work-category/sem-motors/

Sirius make a few different rangehoods with motors in the canopy (aka onboard) or mounted elsewhere (offboard). Usually the onboards ones are cheaper but noisier than the offboard ones.

My old retractable rangehood had existing PVC ducting. I replaced it all with Sirius ducting (EASYROOF 150Tiles kit) as it was metal ducting and Sirius gave an extra years warranty on the canopy if you used Sirius ducting (3yrs +1). Also, it would be too difficult for me to slot the motor (weighs >5kg) into the existing ducting - no where to properly mount and messy. Also it is pretty cramped and dusty in the roof! Make sure you have a mask or dust respirator! So I would tend to think motor in roof installation is more difficult than having the motor anywhere else. Made a small platform out of treated pine palings and screwed it to the roof joists so that the motor could sit on it. I think the ducting is 150mm diameter.

No option to change from halogen to led for this model. Check the website for the other models, eg, SLTCEM 92 G 900 WH has led strip lights. I haven't checked the globes but imagine them to be the halogen downlight type. Not sure if there is enough room to mount a led downlight if it is longer than a standard halogen. The globes are covered by translucent plastic caps which are very difficult to pry off. Also stops the oil fumes from damaging the globes.

Paul

Thanks James and Ben for your replies. We have a flat roof with very limited space so the "in roof" option probably won't be an option. However mounting on the roof may be feasible.. Does the motor actually sit in the ducting or is it mounted separately? There is also the issue of getting power to the motor. Is it fed up from the canopy in the duct? The reason I asked about LED globes was that the current unit I have has always had intermittent lighting problems with the fittings getting brittle over time with the heat generated by the globes and stove. Thanks again James for your informed reply. Paul

James

Hi Paul. Sorry for the late reply but it seems we are not notified when you actually reply or ask a further question in the same post. Only came across your follow up query when Deb P asked a question.

For the particular model, the motor is situated in the roof. There is a roof mounted motor version: http://siriusbrand.com/work/sem5-external/. So when you buy the whole kit, the sem 5 motor version should be selected - the canopy is the same (don't forget the ducting).

Best way is to have a power point outlet in the roof. The same as for some downlights and roof mounted exhaust fans. Not entirely sure for the sem 5 (might be on their website or give them a call) but would imagine a flex power cord with 3 pin 240v prong from the motor which can be connected to the power point in the roof. Note the power cable does not run inside the duct but runs outside the ducting.

So far no problem with the halogen lights. :)

Bea
Bea

how many setting on the lighting ? or just on/off ?

George
George

There is only on/off for the lighting. However, it is possible to press a timer switch when the extractor fan and/or lighting is on and everything will turn off after approx. 4 minutes.

Jenny Castagnini
Jenny Castagnini

The range hood only has an on/off button but I find the lighting it produces is sufficient for the purpose of cooking.

Cheers, Jenny

Get an answer from our members and Sirius representatives

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Sirius SLEM 2 900 (90 cm) is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023. Learn more

Whispair Monte Carlo
Sirius SLTCEM 92 G 900 (90 cm)
Schweigen Silent UM1170 Series