3T, NP

4.5

Scary experience

I’m very disappointed with the quality of my Skoda Superb. My car has been recalled and the mechatronic unit replaced, however my car failed again due to the mechatronic unit. It was a very scary experience, as my car’s mechatronic unit failed causing my car to suddenly stop while I was still on drive. My sister-in-law also had a similar experience with her car. Her Skoda Octavia also had problems with the car suddenly stopping due to the mechatronics. Her vehicle required the mechatronic unit to be replaced not once, but twice in the space of a year, once under recall, then again a year after. I am not sure what’s going on, I am not impressed with the quality of my vehicle and I feel very upset and disappointed with my experience.

Purchased in February 2013.

Year2010

Fantastic car until you need service under warranty.

BodySedan

Find out how Skoda Superb compares to other Cars

Sara M.

Sara M.asked

Superb

Is the car capable in snow conditions? Eg driving up to Falls Creek regularly.

Mitcho
    Mitcho

The ability of a car to travel into snow is not so much about one passenger car Vs another. Front drive cars with modest ground clearance and city tyres will all be pretty much the same. What varies is tyre profile (i.e. 40 series / 50 series or the like) and whether you can fit chains or not. DO NOT get fooled by thinking that an AWD car (whether Skoda or any other brand) without chains can do better in snow than a car with chains or is in anyway "safe" in snow (just look in the panel beaters near ski fields). Most modern cars (including the Superb) have ABS and traction control, but if you hit ice on chain-less tyres (and remember there is often a very fine line between settled snow and ice), then these features aren't much help. These features are however pretty good if you have chains on.

Having driven rear drive with chains on back and front drive with chains on front, in snow and assuming you only had one set of chains, I'd stick with the front drive as steering and power are on the same set of wheels.

As for which cars can accommodate chains - refer to the manufacturer specs, but typically most of the ones with low profile tyres (50 series or less) will not be compatible with most cheap / rental chains.

As for whether a Skoda Superb is good on a mountain climb, then strong mid range torque is important and all engines in the range do well here, with the diesel and the V6 obviously better than the smaller turbo four.

Sukhasked

Superb NP (2015-2021)

Hi
    Actually I am looking to buy superb Skoda. Usually drive over 5000km a month mostly around city so can I get suggestions that which engine patrol or diesel should I go
    Your suggestion would be very valuable for me

Albervin

That is a lot of Km. Usually a diesel is better in these circumstances. If you are leasing then I would take a 3 year lease at 40-50% balloon then think whether you want or need to turn it over. If you can obtain a 5 year warranty then go for 5 years with 25% balloon (residual). If Skoda are offering fixed servicing costs then take that too.

Clark Kent
    Clark Kent

Yes definitely the diesel is the more efficient option. If smoothness and quietness are important then the petrol will be significantly more pleasant at idle and will offer more linear torque off idle and throughout the entire range, if you are a performance enthusiast there is no other choice other than petrol. If it were me, petrol!

brian
    brian

I would recommend petrol as well as it's easier to obtain from petrol stations however, if you're planning on driving on muddy surfaces then disiel is the better option plus diesel is sludge and if you somehow get into a traffic collision - there's less chance of catching on fire

Sukhasked

Superb NP (2015-2021)

Hi
    I am thinking to buy Skoda superb but have confusion about Engines diesel or petrol can anyone help me get on decision add on I drive about over 5000km/month

Albervin

At 5,000km/mth I would buy a diesel. Servicing costs will be a lot less than a petrol car.

Sukh

Your opinion is very valuable for me

Simon
    Simon

Hey Sukh,

We've done +70,000 with the 125kw diesel Superb - my first diesel, goes like a dream. (once you adjust to the double-clutch auto at take-off). Overall 5.3 lt/100kms (mostly country), and plenty of power when you need it. Some mechanics say that for city driving, petrol's the way to go due to diesel injectors clogging - but if you have your car serviced properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Compare all 7 Skoda Superb
    CategoryCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and Wagons
    Starting Price $43,990$55,290$59,990$45,690
    TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
    Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
    Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
    Wheels18" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy
    ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
    Fuel Consumption6.6 L/100km7.3 L/100km7.3 L/100km6.7 L/100km
    Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L66 L66 L66 L
    Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
    Max Power162kW @ 6200rpm206kW @ 6500rpm206kW @ 6500rpm162kW @ 6200rpm
    Max Torque350Nm @ 1500-4400rpm350Nm @ 1700-5600rpm350Nm @ 1700-5600rpm350Nm @ 1500-4400rpm
    Country of ManufactureCzech RepublicCzech RepublicCzech RepublicCzech Republic
    Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
    Release dateJan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015