Incredible Customer Service, High Quality Mattress but Medium to Soft

I returned my Sleep Republic mattress but I still give it 5 stars.

After extensive research and the SR team answering all my questions with complete honesty and transparency, I ordered the mattress. I ordered at 11am and it was delivered by 4pm the next day! I was very impressed by this living in Adelaide where same day delivery or even next day delivery was not guaranteed.

After delivery, I found that it was easy to unwrap and I liked the presentation of the instructions and cutter in the calico Sleep Republic bag. The addition of the eye mask was also a nice touch. It was heavy to carry, but not more so than any other spring mattress, and with two people we easily got it upstairs and onto the bed frame. The box had wheels and a handle. In fact, in retrospect, this mattress was much easier to set up than some other “mattress in a box” beds. I commend SR on their thorough instructions and attention to detail (eg the wheels, handle and nifty cutting tool).

Initially there was no off gassing smell however a few hours later, a mild but obvious chemical smell was there. I expected this with the memory foam and 30% synthetic latex layers. Nevertheless, the smell didn’t persist for very long with the windows open. I put the sheets on about 5 hours after opening and when I went back into the room a couple hours later, I couldn’t smell anything at all.

Appearance wise, I liked the cashmere cover. I also liked the pattern on top that showed the 5 different pocket spring zones, a nice touch! The Sleep Republic label was sewed on back to front so it didn’t actually read Sleep Republic, but that isn’t an issue as the mattress would be covered in sheets anyway. I just hoped it wasn’t telling of the attention to detail in other areas of construction! It did appear very luxurious though, similar or perhaps even nicer than the 5k+ mattresses I had tried in stores (mattresses always on sale for 1500-2500 but without the 100 day trial).

Initially, the mattress was quite firm with a nice cushioning feeling on the surface from the cashmere quilting. I loved it as I like a firm mattress. However after about a month, I found it softening and I didn’t like how much my hips sunk and I began to worry about a body impression. At this point, I rotated the mattress and slept on the other side (I sleep alone). The difference in firmness was very obvious and again I enjoyed a month of sleep on this side until again I began to find it too soft. I found myself seeking the edges where the foam hadn’t broken in yet. Ultimately, I realized I had to return the mattress. I don’t think it was a quality issue at all and I would recommend SR to anyone who likes a medium to soft mattress. All mattresses have a break in period and are initially firmer than they will end up. This mattress was just too soft for me. I am a 45kg stomach sleeper so not only do I like a firm mattress because of sleep position, I also don’t have very much weight to sink in to the comfort layers and feel the firmer support layers. I could really only feel the thick soft comfort layers. Bigger people may find that the softness is more on the surface as they sink in to the coils and begin to get a bit more support. I also realized that memory foam was not for me. While initially medium firm on lying, it softened within a few minutes from body heat and I hated that sinking in feeling. I like to sleep on top of the bed. All of these issues meant it wasn’t the right mattress for me, but certainly would be perfect for others.

My only suggestion is that I wish the comfort layers were in a separate pillow top. Not only does this allow the mattress to be flipped, prolonging the life of it, but flipping the pillow top so that the latex was on top may have been enough to prevent me from returning the mattress. Alternatively, I could have just ordered a different pillow top and kept the springs. Nevertheless, I feel comforted knowing that it is being used by salvos and not in land fill.

The return process was simple and easy. I contacted SR around day 95, still very unsure as it wasn’t awful but I worried about the level of softness increasing any more than it was. They offered me a further 60 day trial, which was much appreciated. I did still return the mattress though and it was no questions asked. They organized for salvos to contact me very quickly and the mattress was picked up a week later. I had the refund in my account less than 48 hours later. Additionally, the customer service team gave me some suggestions on what to look for in my next mattress based on my concerns with this one. I thought that was very helpful and shows their dedication to each person having the best mattress for them.

All in all, while the mattress wasn’t successful for me, I have no regrets purchasing through SR. They went above and beyond with all levels of customer service, the return process was easy and the mattress was high quality. I would never buy from a brick and mortar store without a 100 night trial again. If you’re looking for a medium mattress and like the feeling of memory foam pillow tops, look no further, this is the mattress for you. Oh, and I kept the bamboo sheets, they’re amazing. I’ll never go back to cotton! Thanks Sleep Republic :-)

Purchased in February 2019 for $1,199.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Discomfort Yes
Perceived FirmnessMedium
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback and recommendation it is appreciated. We are of course sorry that the mattress didn't suit you but are happy that the comfort guarantee and our service met your expectations. We do what we can to help our customers to get the sleep they need, hopefully on our mattress but we understand that's not always possible.

Really happy with the mattress, base, sheets and customer service

I purchased the mattress and base bundle with free sheets and mattress protector. I've been sleeping on the bed for a week now. The bed is comfortable, medium firm with a soft pillowy top and the the sheets are incredibly luxurious.

The base assembly was straightforward and the mattress unwrapping easy. On the customer service side I received an apology that the mattress wouldn't be arriving until the next day - even though I technically ordered by 11am - 10:57 to be exact :) so I wasn't expecting it that day anyway. I asked for a delivery before 11am the next day and it arrived on time.

I subsequently asked to swap the mattress protector for some more sheets as I didn't really need it. It was promptly swapped with no questions asked after I paid the small difference in price. I really cannot fault the customer service team, they are helpful, prompt and well... nice!

Purchased in May 2019 at Sleep Republic.

Sleeping PositionSide
Adjustment PeriodDays
Discomfort No
SaggingNo
Perceived FirmnessMedium
Thank you for taking the time to review your bundle purchase and give generous feedback on our service. We are always pleased to help where we can, even if things go awry!

Sleep Republic demonstrates integrity

:: Australian designed and manufactured with a focus on non-toxic components
:: 3 months plus return guarantee, which means you can trial and return for a full refund if the mattress doesn't suit. This attests to company integrity!
:: Free delivery anywhere on the continent
:: Firm and supportive; and can be pivoted on base

Purchased in June 2016.

Pre-existing Neck / Back Issues No
Thank you for your kind feedback Heloise! SR Team

Do I have the same mattress and sheets?

Wondering if I have the same mattress as everyone is talking about. As a solo sleeper who sleeps in the middle of the bed, after 18 months I now roll into the middle if I try the sides as it has sagged. As for the sheets, I found the bottom sheet to ball up after first use. It was great initially, but sadly I very much regret this purchase.

Purchased in May 2017 for $1,200.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Heat Retention Yes
SaggingYes
Perceived FirmnessMedium
We are sorry to hear of your concerns and agree it doesn't sound like the same product experience our customers usually have. We take product quality and performance very seriously and if you can make contact with us directly on 1800 753 371 we will gladly address and resolve your concerns. SR

Excellent mattress from Sleep Republic

Had waited 1.5 years before writing this review just to be sure to be sure. Had tried other memory foam mattress such as Koala and Lazybed, they don't suit me or my wife.This one is different as it offer pocket springs, so it feels totally different, it offers the support needed for our backbones, yet not too soft to sink in like those foam mattresses. No backache, no sore backs. It is just one excellent mattress. My wife still find it too soft for her comfort (- 1 star), however she still sleep through alright, maybe she is just being picky.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Jason, Thank you for your feedback we hope your mattress gives your wife and you many more years of great sleeps! SR Team

Impressive comfort, wonderful service!

I had a very special visitor coming (mother who'd been terribly sick) and wanted to make everything perfect. Just moved house, no spare bed.. living in regional Vic, I thought my options were limited but embarked on a mattress conquest, with days to spare. Finally purchased one, which I returned the following day, having been very uncomfortable & not what it felt like in the shop (company had removed memory foam layer in the new shipment and failed to notify the shop salesman). Retuned the mattress on the Friday morning, mum due on the Monday.. I had started to notice and research these bed in a box mattresses.. Sleep Republic seemed like the best option with its hybrid design of both pocket springs and comfort foam layers, and it's uber high spring count - well made all round and great reviews! So I rang them Friday mid day, spoke to Sean, explained my situation and asked if it was within the realms of possibility to get it here by Monday. He went over and above to ensure that I had my mattress here, despite being in Regional Vic. I asked for a mattress protector instead of the sheets and he was very obliging and then at the end, offered to throw in the sheets anyway! Sure enough, Monday afternoon the mattress arrived (15 mins early!) - the courier even brought it into the room for me. Later on when my family guests arrived, we had the fun of watching this marvel come to life as it expanded on the bed base. Great experience all round - very impressed with the service. The bed is seriously a dream to lie on - didn't wanna get off! Mum loves it and said it's like 'sleeping on a cloud'. When my guests depart, this bed will be coming to my room to replace my old thing... can't wait for the sleep it will bring! Thanks to Sean and all @ Sleep Republic for such a seamless and drama free experience. Will never buy one of those over priced big brand rip offs that are far less comfortable again!

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Thank you Shelly for your very kind feedback and review. We work hard on our service and deliveries and it was a pleasure to try even more in a good cause! SR Team

Such a comfortable mattress!

We decided to buy a Sleep Republic mattress after trying to get used to a very firm one we had bought elsewhere. It had no guarantee so we were stuck with it. After two months, we couldn't take it anymore, so I started researching beds again. A friend had purchased a bed in a box, and although she wasn't happy with hers, it was an interesting concept so I checked it out. I bypassed the company my friend bought from and looked at the other alternatives and reviews. The price was right and the 100 day guarantee was the clincher. I was also happy that I wouldn't have to wait for the mattress to be made and then hang out at home waiting for it to be delivered. Our mattress came within four days and we were very intrigued as to how such a big mattress could fit in a little box, and opened it up. It was easy to pop onto our frame and was expanding in no time. We slept on it that night, and it was absolute heaven! I love the pocket springs and how the bed doesn't move every time my husband turns over during the night. It's just the right firmness and height. I would highly recommend a Sleep Republic mattress to anyone. Also, their customer service is fantastic. If I could give it more than five stars, I would!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Thank you for your feedback and review Andy. Hopefully you can now put the mattress shopping behind you for quite a few years! SR Team

Great mattress, great service

Over a year ago we bought our SR mattress. Still no complaints. By far the best mattress I have slept on. We like this mattress so much yesterday we purchased another for the spare room. We were going to buy a cheaper branded mattress but couldn't bring myself to throw way the money when I could invest in another SR mattress. We live in rural SA and the mattress was delivered to our door in less than 24hrs. I know everyone has preferences to firmness, I always preferred plush, but although this is medium to firm it just feels comfortable and there is no movement or roll in when the partner moves on their side of the bed. Thank you SR for an amazing product and though the price mybe a couple hundred dollars dearer than some other brands it is by far more superior.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Thank you for your kind review and buying from us again! We couldn't agree more that when it comes to sleep don't cut corners on quality. SR team.

Works for us 6 months in

TL~DR

- Check your base can support this heavy mattress.

- Reconsider if your a renter and will need to move this often.

- Supportive yet comfortably soft.

- Wife’s leg pain has reduced from the pillow top, and I no longer get pins and needles in my arm.

- Material seems as good as my old mattress which cost $1000 10 years ago.

- It has quite deep valleys in the pillow top, about 2.5xm deep, which annoys my feet not being flat, but don’t notice it on the heavier parts of my body.

Ok into the full review...

Mattress delivered on time. Would have been nice for the delivery guys to take it up stairs.

Unboxing was uneventful. Kept the plastic as a convenient cover for kids art projects, but the wrap did smell for a while!

Left mattress to air out in lounge overnight, and off gassing was not noticeable when we used it the following night.

It’s heavy and there were no handles on the mattress to help move it like my old one has.

Slept with a pillow top for the first time. It was nice. I felt supported yet light, but the valleys where the stitching was really annoyed me for the first two weeks.

The springs on the side are noticeably firmer. I don’t like when half my body is on the edge springs and the other half on the softer center springs. Feels like I’m slightly leaning to one side.

The above two point are why I’m not giving this mattress a 5 star rating.

I do fine I’m sweating in it a lot, but last night got rid of the mattress protector my wife used when baby slept with us, and it was great!

Am thinking of getting one for my daughters bed, however she has a solid base, not slat base, so this mattress is not appropriate.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Hi James, Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are glad the mattress is working for you. If we can help with your daughter's mattress and base please don't hesitate to contact us. SR team

Third time lucky

I was just about to give up and was highly disappointed after trying 2 other foam bed in a box mattresses both described as medium firm but one was like a rock and the other too soft and both had no support for my bad back. I had decided to give it one last go with one with springs and had decided on another brand as it has many more reviews and is more active on social media... I somehow came across SR and it seemed their mattress was what I was looking for and something that didn’t need to be customised as it was good enough as it is. I am so glad I went with SR, I have only had it a week but I absolutely love my mattress and look forward to going to sleep every night. It’s super comfortable and soft but has very firm support so my back and hip pain disappears after sleeping on this mattress. It is also not hot like other foam mattresses can get. I highly recommend trialing one of these mattresses as mine will not be going back if it stays this good and it just goes to show the companies that are the loudest and have the most reviews aren’t always the best. Sleep republic does not need any showy adverts and reviews as their focus is obviously in making sure the mattresses are the best quality and comfort they can be and don’t need the hype. I am so pleased it was third time lucky and I made the right choice.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're pleased you chose us too, and to hear that our customers look forward to bedtime again is our ultimate objective! SR Team.

A very comfortable, supportive mattress.

Firstly, what a fantastic group of people to deal with. We had questions before we purchased, which were promptly answered. We loved the 100-day trial period.
We purchased online on a Saturday, and the mattress was delivered on Tuesday (and we live in regional SA). The box came with wheels, with a special tool for opening the mattress bag, and the mattress opened exactly as described. We noticed no supposed “new-mattress-chemical-smell” when opened, and slept on the mattress that evening. One small point: on opening, we noticed a couple of threads were loose on the stitching of the topper. Hopefully with the mattress protector on, they won’t get any worse.
We’ve been sleeping on our SR mattress for a while now. This is our third mattress in as many years, and is by far the best. Price-wise it was similarly priced to one mattress, but out-performs it in every way (comfort and support), and cost less than a third of the other mattress (an over-priced, uncomfortable, unsupportive full latex mattress).
By far the best thing about the SR mattress is the minimal partner disturbance. We assume that this is because of the many, many springs in the mattress — we barely feel the other’s movements. Although the mattress is marketed as “medium-firm”, we would rate it as closer to the “firm”. The topper softens it somewhat, but can not fully compensate for the firmness of the springs. We note that many people complain that the mattress is heavy, but we found (after our very heavy latex mattress) that it was easy to lift and turn.
Hopefully our SR mattress will give us many comfortable years of sleeping.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, we are always happy that our customers find our mattress delivers for them, whether it's the comfort, support or low partner disturbance. We are confident it will give you those many years of great sleep and are always accessible if you have any issues with the mattress. SR Team.

The best mattress we have ever slept on!!!!!

We have now had our Sleep Republic mattress for 10 months and without a doubt it is the best mattress we have ever slept on. It is queen sized and in the past have paid a lot more money for other brands but nothing compares with this mattress. Easy to set up, from the cardboard box it just unrolls onto your bed base. Supplied with a special tool to unroll mattress. Service from Sleep Republic was superb, could not have been more helpful. We live in rural Queensland and delivery was no problem at all. Buy the best and get yourself a Sleep Republic!!!!! Peter (aka The Bear)

Purchased in December 2017.

Sleeping PositionSide
Adjustment PeriodDays
Pre-existing Neck / Back Issues No
Discomfort No
SaggingNo
Perceived FirmnessMedium
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for the generous comments. We set out to create not just an excellent mattress but the shopping experience to go with it and it's most rewarding to know when we hit that! SR Team.Now had this mattress over two (2) years still in the same excellent condition as it was new.No sagging etc, beaut and extremely comfortable. Very reasonable price compared to the more expensive mattresses we have used before. Highly recommend!!!

No More Sleep Problems

Ordered the mattress (Queen size) around midday 4/7/2017 and received it around 4:15 pm two days later (West side of Brisbane). I asked a couple of questions via email during the process and these were answered very promptly. I had been putting up with a hard mattress for over two years and had realised that I needed a soft to medium mattress as I sleep on my side mostly. The S/R mattress stopped the hip / shoulder pain that I had been getting with the old mattress. From the first sleep onwards it has been wonderful. It is great to actually get out of bed feeling refreshed by sleep, rather than feeling sore. I have now had it for just over 2 1/2 weeks and I'm impressed !

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Thank you for your review and feedback, taking the time to let others know your experience is appreciated. May there be many more weeks of comfort ahead! We aim to add Brisbane metro to our same day delivery service soon. SR TeamUpdate: now had the Sleep Republic mattress almost 3 months. I'm still loving it. It still looks as good as it did on arrival and gives a great night's sleep. I have been making sure that I rotate it every 3 - 4 weeks. For what it's worth, this mattress is significantly lighter than my last mattress. So I'm not going to complain about the weight of it.

The perfect mattress

I love my new mattress. I have many problems back and this mattress make me sleep so good. Perfect back support, excellent for everyone. Customer service is excellent also, very helpful.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi Millie, thank you for your feedback. We are really happy that your back problems are no longer an issue. happy sleeping! SR Team

Perfect mattress

I am so happy we decided on this mattress the service was quick delivered after 11/2 days as we ordered on Saturday arrived Monday
It is the best sleep I've had in ages no more sore back my husband could only stay in bed about 4-5 hours now he is managing about 7
I feel like when I get into bed it hugs me and welcomes me, soft when you hop in but still firm
I'm loving it best decision I've made

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi Lora thank you for your feedback and review, we are thrilled that it's working so well for both of you. As we all know, hugs make the world go round! SR Team

No more back aches

We ordered our Sleep Republic mattress because I was having a very sore back from our old one. After only one week on our new mattress, my back felt so much better. It's kind of soft but firm at the same time, which sounds kind of weird, but it's true.
We ordered it on a Wednesday and it arrived on Friday, such a quick delivery, just fantastic, and unwrapping it and unrolling it out of its box was like magic...very cool.
I honestly think this is the best product and the best service from a bussiness that I've ever known, just excellent

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Thank you so much for your review, Helen! We're very happy to hear that your back is no longer sore and you're sleeping better. Soft but firm is exactly the way we wanted the mattress to feel- so you're comfortable and supported and the same time. We're also very glad to hear that you're happy with the service we provided, that means a lot to our team. Happy Sleeping! -SR Team

This is not a dream

Somehow this mattress makes you feel like you've had a really good day even when you haven't. The minute you jump into bed, everything turns around and it's almost like you float away from your problems on a fluffy cloud. Seriously, my pillow used to be the highlight of going to sleep in my old bed but when I got my Sleep Republic mattress, I had to buy new pillows because mine were just so darn uncomfortable that they weren't doing my new mattress justice. It's also done wonders for my back as it's soft but supportive.
Best investment ever. So glad I didn't hesitate. How could you when Sleep Republic provides so much information about the construction, shipping and unboxing of their mattresses - not to mention the 100 night free trial.
Seems like it's been a dream from the get-go with an amazing price, freebies, fast delivery and ease of unpacking. It's now been 6 months and I have no complaints!

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Hi Leana, thank you for your wonderful review! We're so glad you're enjoying the mattress and getting a better sleep. - SR Team

I can't even review the bed because Sleep Republic's delivery service is dismal!

So far reading all the reviews i felt I was pretty safe in purchasing a Sleep Republic mattress. They are right here in Australia! My 73 year old parents were coming and I needed a better mattress and did all the research and decided after being assured with the guys on the chat that I would have the mattress in 5 business days right before my parents arrived. Its been 10 days since I ordered and (7 biz days) and since found out that Sleep republic paid a lousy 3rd party delivery service to deliver the mattress to my place on the Sunshine Coast Queensland (1 hr north of Brisbane) because apparently I am too far away I guess from their normal delivery company. When my Sleep Republic mattress did not arrive 4 Days ago, I was forced to purchase a rather expensive blow up mattress for my 75 year old parents visiting from Canada. I called Sleep Republic and they did apologize and gave me a discount off the bed to say sorry and assured me that the bed would be here for sure on Saturday. I waited all day and repeatedly called the company responsible for my lost mattress "All Freight" with the number provided by Sleep Republic. I must of called twenty times and no one answered and no where on the website was an actually way other than this one number to contact them! What kind of freight service has no emergency contact? I waisted a whole Saturday waiting and no one showed. I would love to have given a great review, but its Sleep Republics responsibility to make sure if they are going to use 3rd party delivery services, that the least they would have is an emergency contact to them for this very reason! Not a good start Sleep republic. So I sit here typing this on a very uncomfortable air mattress while my parents sleep on my bed, hoping Sleep Republic will somehow make right and get that mattress here tomorrow. They offer a refund, So do I now have to go to a shop and start over? Waist more time and more effort that I shouldn't of had to experience had Sleep Republic ensured a reliable company entrusted with their product? One of reasons I bought this bed was it was from Australia, so didnt think this would be an issue. Stay tuned for the rest of this so far disappointing Sleep Republic story. Hopefully they can make things right so I can actually review the mattress and the conclusion to this delivery mess... I would be surprised. :-(

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Chris, As advised are extremely sorry about this delay on the part of Hunters and All Freight. It isn't acceptable service and both of us have been badly let down by them. In some locations because of the sheer geographic scale, the delivery networks are not what we would want. We have already refunded part of your purchase to cover the cost of the arrangements you have had to put in place, and as advised we are doing all we can to get your mattress to you asap. SR team

Excellent value and comfort...

We've had our sleep republic mattress for about 6 months & I purchased it after doing much research on what would be best for my husband & I. I made the decision based on the way the mattress is made with 1850 pocket springs for the queen size as I thought it would be very supportive & it is giving us a better nights sleep than our 5 year old very expensive orthopaedic mattress ever did, I suffered so much pain I used to roll on my side & use my pillows as support to sit up & get out of bed in the morning as I have a pre existing condition but now I don't suffer nearly as much back & hip pain.. The only small issue is it is a little on the heavy side & would be benificial to have some handles on the sides to help rotate it as it needs 2 people to do this but other than that I'm definitely very happy with our new mattress & have recommended it to friends as it is definitely value for money for a good nights sleep.. Thankyou Sleep Republic

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Thanks for your comments and feedback we appreciate them. We are glad it has helped with your back pain, the design purpose of the added springs is to give that better support in these circumstances. Understand your observation on the handles. We don't put them on the sides having found that there was a tendency for the fabric around them to tear and damage the cover. We are working on a viable solution. SR Team.

Incredibly uncomfortable mattress

After reading a lot of reviews regarding "beds in a box" I decided to go with Sleep republic, as I liked the fact that it was a combination of box springs & foam. The mattress that was being replaced was latex & has been fantastic for 6.5 years but has now significant indents on either side.

My partner works interstate so is away for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I made sure to order the mattress in time for it to be delivered to coincide with his return, so that he could set it up & also have a week where he could sleep on it & test it out. Unfortunately our mattress was "lost" by the courier company, Hunter, after some chasing up with Sleep Republic & Hunter the mattress was "found", how a box of that size could be lost is beyond me but according to Hunter head office in Sydney the Adelaide depot is "like that". Not Sleep republics fault but perhaps that need to look at using a different company that is more reliable. Due to this the mattress arrived quite later than expected & my partner was only able to sleep on it for 3 days.

Set up was very easy, but as others have said mattress is VERY heavy so someone who is petite like myself (5ft) it would be impossible on your own. The mattress did have a very strong chemical smell & we needed to direct a fan onto it & keep the bedroom window open for at least 8hrs to reduce the smell. It still smelt after this but we had to sleep on it so once the mattress had sheets etc on it the smell was masked somewhat.

The mattress is extremely firm, like sleeping on a plank of wood. I understand that coming from a worn in latex mattress the feel would be considerably different, but we were both shocked at just how firm it was. We were willing to give it time to wear in though so stuck with it. As mentioned my partner had to go back to work after 3 days so it was up to me to test out the mattress. I am 5ft tall & weigh 50kgs, so quite petite, despite this within 1 week the side I was sleeping on, even though it felt like a plank of wood, had sunk so much it was worse than the indents on the 6.5 yr old bed we were replacing! I moved over to the other side of the bed & within a week the same thing had happened. During this 2 weeks I had also developed severe back pain & had a chronic headache due to my back pain (I never get back pain or headaches). Week 3 I had no choice but to sleep in the middle of the bed, which now was so high due to the sagging on either side it felt like I was sleeping on the peak of mount Everest. At this point I was in so much pain I was struggling to get any sleep & considering sleeping on the floor! I had to put up with it until my partner returned so that we could replace it with our old mattress which now felt like sleeping on a cloud!

While I understand that mattresses are extremely subjective, what I love another will hate, but I find it shocking that the mattress could feel so firm yet sag so significantly under not a lot of weight & in such a short time. It does not bode well for the longevity of a mattress. Thank god for the 100 days return policy!

I say the following as constructive criticism for a new company to hopefully use to improve their systems & as a business owner myself. I contacted Sleep republic to arrange removal of the mattress & the refund. Customer service seems to be a bit hit & miss depending on who you get. The initial reply email from [name removed] stated that collection of the mattress had been arranged, the day had already been chosen & it would be between 8am- 3pm. Luckily I work from home so could be available for collection that day, but for most people this would be difficult to arrange around work schedules. I was also asked to decide if I wanted to return the free sheet set or keep & be charged $100. I was debating what to do regarding the sheets as due to their weight I knew postage would be expensive to return them, but I didn't really want to keep them. Thankfully I held off posting the sheets back as the next day I received another email from [name removed] who seemed to be unaware that [name removed] had already contacted me, asking when would be a suitable day for the mattress to be collected & offering me free postage to return the sheet set if I so wished, which was greatly appreciated.

I also had to chase up my refund after I had initially notified Sleep republic that the mattress had been collected & that the sheet set was on route. I expect to have to wait until they had received the sheets but my refund was not processed until I had sent them a follow up email inquiring about my refund after they would have received the sheets. These may seem like minor things but I do feel Sleep republic needs to look at their systems to ensure customers are all receiving the same customer service, regardless of who they happen to be dealing with at the time.

The reason I gave 2 stars is only because you are able to try the mattress & if not suitable return for a refund. Without this I would have given 1 star. I realise this review is extremely long, but I am aware of how incredibly difficult buying a new mattress is & I want to ensure people have as much information as possible to assist them in their purchase.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Thank you for taking the time to share your review online. It goes without saying that we are extremely disappointed our mattress didn’t meet your expectations. We believe such a detailed critique deserves a suitably detailed response. Delivery to Adelaide as detailed online takes 2-5 business days. Your mattress was delivered on the 5th business day, while we strive to speed delivery up sometimes this is not possible. Pocket spring mattresses are relatively heavy and we agree that it is not something that we would recommend a petite 5’ attempt to move on their own. Foam mattresses may not weigh as much but then there is a trade off in the degree of support provided. After unwrapping there is some odour as a result of the vacuum packing which does dissipate quite quickly. Our production process provides lengthy airing times before packing which means odours are significant reduced. We are sorry if this proved a problem for you. Firmness is quite subjective and we accept that some people like yourself may find the mattress too firm while others may find it too soft. We describe the mattress as medium/firm which from customer feedback seems to be the most appropriate description. In the nearly seven years that we have been selling this and similar models, now numbering many thousands, we have had had extremely few claims involving structural support or sagging issues. Regarding the refund timing, we take great care to live up to our 100 night comfort guarantee commitment. Our terms detailed online are that we will refund in full as soon as the mattress has been collected and any promotional items are returned. Our aim is to refund the same day that the last of these happens. All promotional items returned are sent reply paid stickers. Your mattress was collected on 20 April and your returned sheets were received on 26 April (we have provided you separately with Australia Post tracking) and your refund was processed and debited to our account the same day. We are sorry about any confusion caused by both Tom and Sean responding to your initial return request, sometimes in our haste to respond quickly we can err! Thanks for trying Sleep Republic we’re sorry it didn’t meet your expectations we hope you have found a suitable solution. SR team.Thanks for your reply. My review & constructive criticism seems to have touched a nerve or two, as my review seems to have garnered the most detailed & lengthy reply despite my comments being reflected by other reviews, so allow me to clarify. I have clearly stated that the mattress was "lost" by the courier company, Hunter, & that this was not the fault of sleep republic & when Hunters own head office state that this is not unusual for the Adelaide depot, I merely suggest that engaging a more reliable courier company may be a consideration. Also if I had not inquired as to where the mattress was it would have remained "lost" for considerably longer & therefor would not have been delivered within the 5 days. Regarding the weight of the mattress, I see by numerous reviews on this site that I am not the only person to comment on the weight & yes while I am quiet small my partner who is 6ft also struggled to lift it. I feel it is an important point for people to note as for someone who had back issues or was elderly this could be a significant issue as the bed would be very difficult for them to change the linen & turn the mattress regularly as suggested. I am also not the only review that has commented on the initial odour, another review has noted that it lasted for a week. Again I did not suggest that this "was a problem" for me, I merely include it as part of a review so that potential customers are prepared that there may be an odour & that it may take some time to dissipate, so that if they are planning to sleep on the mattress straight away & find that they are unable to due to the odour. Also I think it is important for potential customers that may have respiratory issues to be aware prior to purchasing so that can take any necessary precautions. I agree firmness is very subjective, as I pointed out in my review. I see that the other reviewer on who has given the mattress 2 stars also felt that the mattress was "way too firm & uncomfortable" & ended up sleeping on a mattress on the floor. I also see other reviews feel it is too soft for them, so it is great for potential customers to be able to use these reviews to make informed decisions prior to purchasing.The option to try the mattress & return if unsuitable is also fantastic to prevent buyers remorse. Regarding the sagging of the mattress, perhaps I received a dud, but I can assure you that even under my small frame & within 2 weeks both sides of the mattress had sunk so significantly that I was suffering from extreme back pain & chronic headaches, which have both disappeared now that I am no longer sleeping on your mattress. The fact that you have indeed had previous claims of sagging, even if "extremely few" show that it is indeed possible. I can see by the Australia post tracking that you have provided, that it did take a week for my parcel to travel from S.A to Vic. Australia post certainly are not what they used to be are they? Have a great day!