Sleeping Duck Mattress

Sleeping Duck Mattress Questions & Answers (page 2 of 17)

Medium, Half-Half, Firm
Listing monitored by Sleeping Duck

335 questions from our users

Nadia P
Nadia Pasked
Mattress

1- Do you have the double mattress in the half firm half soft?
2- Also, how much you charge to remove the old mattress? Thank

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The Half-Half configurations are currently only available for our Queen and King size Ducks, so it is not available for our Double size Mattresses.

We have just rolled out a new service for old mattress removals, but it doesn't cover all areas within Australia. Not to worry though, we're definitely looking to expand these services in future!

If you'd like further information on where we can offer these services, we'd recommend getting in touch with our team.

Warmest regards,

Customer
Customerasked
Mattress

I notice your sheets have the oeko-tex 100 certificate, does the mattress have this standard as well?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your question!

The Sleeping Duck mattress currently doesn't have the Oeko-Tex 100 certificate, as it is still "pending certification". Unfortunately these certifications can take some time to be approved, but we've been told by Oeko-Tex that they're working on it!

As the foams in the Duck are the most integral part of the mattress - we can confirm that they are created in Sydney Australia, with a GECA seal of approval. You can find more information about GECA at http://www.geca.eco/.

If you'd like to find out any further information, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the SDHQ team.

We'd be happy to help! :)

Sonja W.
Sonja W.asked
Mattress Medium

How much is a queen size medium and do you have to pay for it whilst you are trying it for the 100 days

stuartf
stuartf

Hi the cost was $1850 when we bought it but a week later it was reduced down to $1650. I contacted sleeping duck and they happily refunded me $200. And yes you have to pay out right first. But like they say if your not happy with 100 days it’s a full no questions asked refund

Hi Sonja,

Thanks for your question!

The mattress does need to be purchased first, and your 100 nights starts on the day of delivery.

Within your first 100 nights, any firmness adjustments are free of charge. This gives you plenty of time to test it out in the comfort of your own home, and experiment with different firmnesses to find your perfect comfort level.

If you don't absolutely love it, we'll organise a pick up and provide a full refund of the purchase price. Easy as that!

You can find all the current pricing for our Ducks on the link below, and shipping is free anywhere we can deliver to.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to give the SDHQ team a call. :)

You can reach us on 1800 667 196, and we're open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm (AEST).

Ian P.
Ian P.asked
Mattress

Hi, I have a king size mattress that has been in storage for a few months it is standing up against a wall , I have noticed it is bowing out at the bottom where it is on the floor , will it go back to its normal shape when I lay it flat or have I ruined it ?

Nats J
Nats J

If a sleeping duck mattress I don't have the knowledge to provide you with the answer. Contact company direct for advice.

Anne Le Fevre
Anne Le Fevre

Well I couldn’t really say, but the only way to find out is to put it flat on the floor! The manufacturer could surely tell you.

Hey Ian!
Thanks so much for the question :)

You mattress is perfectly fine to be leant up against the wall until you're able to begin using it, the misshape along the bottom is because the foam layers within the Duck have most likely shifted from being on that angle.

There is however a super simple fix! Once you're ready to use the Duck and have it resting flat, all you'll need to do is then unzip the top cover and ensure that the foams are properly aligned with one another.

If you get stuck or have any further questions, feel free to give us a call on 1800 667 196!

Frances Tasked
Mattress

I am a senior and have difficulty lifting the corners of my present king size mattress when changing the sheets. It is so heavy. Are the corners of the king size sleeping duck heavy to lift?

Pam W

I am having trouble with mine, I get a friend to do it for me, I think mattress’s are heavy anyway no matter what. If you can I would still invest in one because they are very comfortable.

Hi Frances (and Pam!),

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a question.

Our Ducks can be considered a little on the heavier side with our King mattress weighing 60kg. The good news is that we there are two handles built into the side of the mattress to make the rotating process a little easier.

When changing sheets, we typically recommend trying to do this corner by corner (on opposite ends first) as we have found this helps a little so you don't have to lift the mattress as much!

We also find that bed bases that allow the mattress to sit flush on top of the base (rather than sitting within) make the sheet changing process that little bit easier.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to our team here at SDHQ if there are any further questions that we can assist with, we're always here to help.

Warmest regards,

Thank you.

BuyGeorge
BuyGeorgeasked
Mattress

Does the base have too have slats or can a conventional base (no slats) be used?

Pam W

I don't think it matters, because there is no statement you have to have slats, so I would assume you would be ok with a conventional base.

Hi George (and Pam!),

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a question and for taking an interest in the Duck!

To ensure that you get the most out of your mattress over its lifespan we do have a few bed base requirements in place.

Both slatted and flat bottom bases are suitable for our mattresses as long as they provide consistent levels of support.

We would recommend slatted bases as they provide improved airflow and can help keep your mattress cooler. You would need to make sure the slats are no more than 8cm apart from one another to ensure that the individually pocketed springs that form the base of the mattress are properly supported.

Alternatively the bed base surface can be completely firm and flat.

If you are considering one of our larger sizes, we also have a couple of central support requirements due to their added width and weight.

For a Queen, we look for a central support beam running from top to toe of the base with two grounded support legs. For a King, we look for two central support beams, essentially dividing the mattress into thirds, with two grounded support legs on both.

Feel free to have a read over them on our warranty page here https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

Please don't hesitate to reach out to the team here at SDHQ if there is any further questions that we can assist with.

Warm regards,

Steve
Steve asked
Mattress

Will it work ok with a slat bed?

Toni Michael
Toni Michael

We bought a new base from Sleeping Duck because we needed a King and it is a slat base

Tezkat
Tezkat

Yes, we bought a slat base

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question (and Toni & Tezkat for helping out)! We apologise for taking so long to get back to you.

You absolutely can use a slatted base with our Ducks. Both slatted and solid, flat bases provide stable levels of support for the mattress.

We do often encourage the use of slats as they increase the airflow through the mattress, helping keep it as cool as it can be! As Toni mentioned, our Bed Base and Frame both utilise slats, for this reason.

For slatted bases it is vital to ensure the gaps between the slats are no more than 8cm. Gaps larger than this will lead to individual springs in the MotherBoard layer falling through, and sagging over time.

We also have some additional base requirements for our Queen and King size Ducks. Due to their extra width, we require there to be added central support to prevent dipping and sagging down the line.

We recommend every customer have a read of the warranty of our warranty page (found here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/) as it further explains why we have these requirements, and clearly demonstrates how bases can provide that necessary support to get the full expected lifespan out of your Duck!

If there's ever anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to send us an e-mail to info@sleepingduck.com or give us a ring on 1800 667 196.

Team Sleeping Duck

Wiser Now
Wiser Nowasked
Mattress

What is the weight of the queen size, and does it require regular turning?

LO D
LO D

queen is 52kg, i think turning is about every 3 months

Hey there,

Thanks for your question!

The above answer is on point! The Queen is about 53kgs.

We recommend rotating your mattress 180 degrees every month for the first 6 months and quarterly thereafter. This helps maintain even weight distribution on the spring and foams :)

Kindest regards SDHQ

fred
fredasked
Mattress

if I have back pains and hip on a firm mattress,would I be advisable to buy your medium mattress? And which one of the type would best suit?

Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

If you prefer to sleep on your side, and you're currently experiencing some hip and lower back pain, we'd definitely suggest trying our Medium.

We often find this is great for relieving pressure, as it allows the body to sink further into the mattress.

Whilst we just have the one mattress design, we offer different firmness levels! Keep in mind, you can adjust the firmness totally free of change during your first 100 nights.

You'll have the choice of Medium or Firm at your initial point of purchase, but we also offer Soft and Extra Firm as adjustment options! Additionally, once you have tried 2 different firmness levels, we can combine the two in a segmented layout to give more targeted support where needed.

If you like to have a chat to our team about this, or anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out!

You can contact us on 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm. Or shoot us an email to info@sleepingduck.com.

Sam L
Sam Lasked
Mattress

I’m looking at buy a sleeping duck mattress but unsure which bed frame to go with it! I want to buy the bed frame from koala. What kind of frame do you use with your SD mattress??

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out, so great to hear you're interested in the Duck!

We do indeed have some bed base requirements for the Duck. The reason being is we want to ensure it's really well supported, so you get the most out of it for as long as possible!

The base you use should have a firm flat surface on top, or slats that are no more than 8cm apart. Additionally the Queen size will need one central support beam with two legs attached to ground it. The King size will need two of these beams, with two legs attached to each.

You'll be able to check out some diagrams on the warranty page of our website here - https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

From what I can see on the Koala website, their bed frame has all the required supports!

However, if you were looking at another and weren't too sure, we're always happy to take a look. Just shoot us an email with some detailed images and our team will asses it for you.

We're always happy to have a chat if you'd like to discuss this further. You can reach us on 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything further we can do to assist!

Eva
Evaasked
Mattress

Looking at purchasing a sleeping duck mattress but like the eva bed frame, does the mattress work on a timber frame?

Ali S
Ali S

Hi Eva - our duck is on a timber slat base frame, just make sure the slats are not more than 8cm apart otherwise it won’t support the mattress properly. I’m not sure about a solid bed base, maybe check the FAQs on the site?

Altaf J.
Altaf J.

Hi Eva, our mattress is on a timber frame and slats.
We have made the best decision by buying a sleeping duck and the support from the team is truly exceptional.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Oh thanks guys! Yep, as Ali said definitely check out our warranty and FAQ pages for more info on our bed base requirements as this will vary depending on the size of the mattress you're looking to grab :)

We do generally recommend slats as this will optimise the airflow through your mattress (less than 8cm apart), although any firm, flat surface will also be perfectly fine.

The King then requires two central beams with two legs on each and the Queen requires one central beam with two additional legs attached. This will help to maintain an even distribution of weight and prevent any sagging/dipping from occurring.

Give the team a call on 1800 667 196 or shoot us through an email to info@sleepingduck.com if you have any further questions!

gregy21a
gregy21aasked
Mattress

We live in Cairns, North Queensland. Would the Sleeping Duck Mattress be hot to sleep on in a sub tropical area? Also Are there weight limitations on the King Size? How lon would it take to ship to Cairns? Thanks.

Alyssa Y.
Alyssa Y.asked
Mattress

Does the mattress contain formaldehyde? I just have a newborn, worried if it is OK for him in the same room with the new mattress.

Cece
Cece

I am unsure of specific chemicals but the mattress is certified by GECA, which means that it’s produced in an ethical, environmentally-friendly way and the foam/mattress is expanded using pressure, not unnecessary chemicals. I would contact their customer service team for specifics. I would remark that there is a slight persistent odour but nothing offensive or headache inducing and barely noticeable unless the room is shut for days on end and not well ventilated. I would recommend airing it out for a day or two prior to use!

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks so much for reaching out.

We can definitely understand your concerns.

Cece is correct! All our foams are polythene and have been certified as safe for the environment and humans by GECA. The foams themselves do not contain any formaldehyde and the mattress is not treated with fire retardant, formaldehyde, or other chemicals during assembly.

For more information about GECA and the work they do you can see their website here ( https://geca.eco/ )

As mentioned in the pervious comment, some customers can find the mattress to have bit of an initial odour. If you find this is the case, please keep in mind it's totally non toxic, and GECA has found there to be no detectable VOC's.

I hope this helps alleviate any concern regarding having your newborn around the Duck.

If you'd like to have a chat about this, or anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

You can give us a ring on 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm, or shoot us an email to info@sleepingduck.com.

Liz
Lizasked
Mattress

I have a gaslift bed base. Can I use a queen SD mattress with it or is it too heavy? I have been told the SD mattresses are very heavy!

Hey Liz,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Yep, that's correct! The QN Duck is definitely on the heavier side at approximately 53kg. For this reason you'll need to have adequate central support to allow you to get the best possible lifespan from your mattress :)

You can definitely use your existing gas lift base as long as it meets a few requirements as listed on our warranty page. We do generally recommend slats to promote airflow, however any firm, flat surface will also be perfectly fine to use. If using slats you'll just need to ensure that they're less than 8cm apart to protect your pocket spring system.

We then require that you have one central supporting beam running from the head to the foot of the base with two central legs attached as having that grounded central support will definitely be beneficial in ensuring that lifespan.

I'd suggest if you haven't already to have a little read over our warranty page on our website for some more information here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

Have a lovely day and please let us know if we can help further!

JonnyBulldogasked
Mattress

What is the material used to cover the foam inserts? Its soft and stretchy but when i put sheets on it it loses it softness and bed becomes a lot firmer

Graham Hancock
Graham Hancock

Bamboo

JonnyBulldog

Mate  its not just bamboo. Bamboo doesn't stretch like that. So as much as I appreciate the quick response I would appreciate a little more effort than what you have put into this answer. This is a massive deal to me as the wife and I have spent over $12000 in 5 years looking for the right bed. Now we have a SD and it turns out all our beds were likely suitable if our sheets conformed to our body and bed but they don't which makes all of them even SD rubbish. So I need sheets made from the exact same material as the SD cover. Please mate HELP US

Hi Jonny.

Thanks for taking the time to leave your question. We apologise for the amount of time it took to get back to you.

We absolutely appreciate how frustrating it would be to dedicate so much time and so many resources to getting a good sleep, and still not finding it.

Both the AntiGravity foam, and the precision pads, that make up the interior foam layers of the mattress are encased in the same bamboo fabric as the exterior topper.

This is specifically a bamboo elastane blend. The logic behind this combination is that we wanted to find the softest possible material, with the right amount of elasticity to maintain its structure.

As you've alluded to struggling with, the softness has to have the right amount of elasticity added to it so that it doesn't stick and create the feeling of tension that you get from lying on overly taught material. This is especially vital for that topper that makes up the very top surface.

Adding layers such as a mattress protector, underlays, or even fitted sheets will slightly impact the feel of that top surface. However, depending on the material we'd usually expect fitted sheets to have the smallest impact on this front.

For reference, the Sleeping Duck sheets that we offer are made from Tencel, a material we use due to its ability to keep you cooler, whilst still feeling soft and silky smooth. They do not contain elastane, as the bamboo topper and foam casings do.

We hope that this helped with your query, but in the event that you'd like to discuss this issue further, please do feel free to send us an e-mail to info@sleepingduck.com, or give us a ring on 1800 667 196.

We just want all of our customers to get a good night's sleep!

Team Sleeping Duck

Paul
Paulasked
Mattress

During the 100 night guarantee period if I chose to change inserts is this free for both sides and does the existing pad or inserts need to go back ? We are waiting for our medium Mach ii to arrive and was just wondering

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out, we really appreciate it.

If you wanted to adjust the firmness of your mattress, you can do so free of charge during your 100 night guarantee!

We'll simply send you a replacement precision pad, for one or both sides of your Duck, in your preferred firmness level. You can choose from either Medium or Firm when you first purchase you Duck, but we also offer Soft and Extra Firm as adjustment options!

When your new precision pads arrive you simply unzip your mattress, take out the pads you no longer want, and replace them with the new ones we've sent you.

Your original precision pads are yours to keep! We suggest holding on to them, just incase you decide to change back at any stage.

I hope this clears things up, but if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at SDHQ.

We'll be standing by on 1800 667 196 from 9am-5pm, Monday - Friday. You're always welcome to shoot us an email to info@sleepingdcuk.com as well.

Nerl
Nerlasked
Mattress

We recently purchased a queen size sleeping duck. Love that I cannot feel my husband moving around anymore. Love the feel of the bed when I get in, I am finding two concerns at the moment. Firstly I am still getting lower back pain and was thinking of trying the medium firmness , have firm atm or should I go extra firm? Also I am finding I get quiet hot on the mattress side of my body and solutions? was wondering if at mattress protector would help. Thanks

Hi Nerl,

We're so happy to hear that you are loving your mattress so far!

These are some great questions. Lower back pain can be caused by a couple of things, but it is often that you are getting enough support. In this instance we would recommend moving to an Extra Firm.

Moving up a firmness can also help with heat! As you don't sink in as much to the mattress, there is more of a chance for air flow around the body which promotes a cooler sleep.

We also recommend to use light breathable materials, and if you are using a mattress protector to look for one that isn't too bulky and made out of things like Bamboo or Tencel.

To speak to the team about an adjustment process feel free to give us a call on 1800 667 196 or info@sleepingduck.com.

Maxim109
Maxim109asked

Where made

Hi Maxim!
Thanks for taking the time to leave your question :)

The foams within the Duck including the high density firmness foams along with the AntiGravity foam layer are manufactured in right here in Aus! Sydney to be exact. However, all other components such as the spring set and upholstery are manufactured in China.

Have a lovely day and please don't hesitate to to let us know if we can help out further.

JJ06
JJ06asked
Mattress

If the mattress starts to sag after the 100 days is up, can you still order new foam inserts, and at this current time, approx how much would this cost in a single mattress to do?

Kel
Kel

I ordered the soft option outside the 100 days for a double bed and that was $150. Taking forever to arrive and if this doesn't work it will down the op shop.

Hi JJ06,

Thanks for taking the time to inquire about the Duck!

Due to its modular design you can adjust the firmness at any time.

If you needed to adjust the firmness outside of your 100 night guarantee, the foam precision pads (that determine the firmness) are available for purchase.

Currently the price for a Single size precision pad is $300. This price has increased since Kel purchased the Soft foam, as we now have the updated the foams for our new Mach II model.

Dipping and sagging is certainly something to be aware of, as it will affect the feel and performance of any mattress.

This is why we have some bed base requirements for the Duck, to ensure it's really well supported and sagging is avoided. These also protect the 10 year warranty.

The best base to use with a Single size Duck should have a firm flat surface on top, or slats that are no more than 8cm apart.

You'll be able to find out more about our bed base requirements on the warranty page of our website here - https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

If you did need to purchase any foams, you'll just need to give our team a ring on 1800 667 196 Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, as they are not available on our website.

I hope this information was helpful, but please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions.

Hi Kel,

Thanks for reaching out, we really appreciate it.

So sorry to hear your Soft foam has been delayed, we'd love to look into this for you!

If you give us a ring on 1800 667 196 Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, or send us an email to info@sleepingduck.com we'll be more than happy to follow this up.

Jimbo
Jimboasked
Mattress

Finding the matrsss really hot with the pillow top can I flip it over and use the other side

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

We’re sorry to hear that you’re finding the Duck a little warm. As there is a layer of springs on the bottom of the Duck, we don't recommend flipping it upside down (we do suggest rotating it 180 degrees, to ensure the weight is evenly distributed on the springs)

There are a few things that can be done to minimise this discomfort like using breathable materials to promote airflow though, as any extra layers to the mattress may attribute to heat retention in the foams of your Duck.

Additionally we find that a firmer foam can ensure that your body sits more ‘on top’ of the mattress allowing more airflow to pass through. We’d love to get you sleeping comfortably so please get in touch with our team at SDHQ!

Warm regards,