Sleeping Duck Mattress

Sleeping Duck Mattress Questions & Answers (page 3 of 17)

Medium, Half-Half, Firm
Listing monitored by Sleeping Duck

336 questions from our users

Jimbo
Jimboasked
Mattress

Finding the matrsss really hot with the pillow top can I flip it over and use the other side

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

We’re sorry to hear that you’re finding the Duck a little warm. As there is a layer of springs on the bottom of the Duck, we don't recommend flipping it upside down (we do suggest rotating it 180 degrees, to ensure the weight is evenly distributed on the springs)

There are a few things that can be done to minimise this discomfort like using breathable materials to promote airflow though, as any extra layers to the mattress may attribute to heat retention in the foams of your Duck.

Additionally we find that a firmer foam can ensure that your body sits more ‘on top’ of the mattress allowing more airflow to pass through. We’d love to get you sleeping comfortably so please get in touch with our team at SDHQ!

Bella Norton
Bella Nortonasked
Firm Queen

How firm is firm? I really dislike a too soft mattress but also need it to be cool!
Does you product provide both of these criteria?
Bella Norton

Paul Ryan
Paul Ryan

Hi Bella,
I weight near 80kgs....the bed is just right....Goldilocks right...not too hard and not too soft.....

Hi Bella,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

Great question! Firmness and comfort are very subjective to the individuals preferences and experiences of a mattress so it can be a little tricky to pin point.

We find the Firm does provide the perfect amount of support, paired with our Anti Gravity foam with provides the comfort and contouring to your body.

To begin with you will have the option of either Medium or Firm but after the initial 21 nights on your Duck, I’m pleased to say that we do offer an Extra Firm Precision Pad (as well as a Soft) as a free firmness adjustment.

In regards to heat retention, the foams within the Duck are air grown in a pressure chamber, this technique allows us to control certain variables and eliminate any imperfections. The foams in turn will then be 8x more breathable than latex and memory foams with an increased longevity and durability.

Additionally, our individually wrapped pocket springs are designed to move independently, helping eliminate partner disturbance and as well as promote air flow.

I hope this helps but please feel free to ask us any further questions!

Ted Webster
Ted Websterasked
Mattress

Where can I find instructions for care and maintenance of our Sleeping Duck mattress?

Hi Ted,

Thanks for getting in touch here at SDHQ!

You can find the mattress care instructions on our website FAQ page here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/faq/#faq-mattress-cleaning

Additionally, we’d recommend rotating the mattress 180° once a month for the first three months, and at least every three months after that. This is to ensure for even weight distribution and help prevent any sagging or dipping.

I hope this has helped but please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions!

Debraasked
Mattress

We have a soft sided waterbed.
Now I want a new mattress but I like our base with four storage drawers underneath.
Is it an issue having a solid base?

Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith

No, we didn’t find it a problem.

Debra

Thank you Jessica for taking time to reply.

Gail
Gail

No we used a solid base that we already had and no problems at all.

Sarah
Sarahasked
Mattress

Do I need to keep the box in case I need to return or change the firmness?

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You will not be needing the box anymore as it is purely used to transport the vacuum sealed mattress. Once opened, it’s pretty impossible to pop the Duck back in!

Due to the modular design of the mattress, to change the firmness, you simply need to swap out one layer of foam. If you do require a firmness swap, get in touch with the team here at SDHQ and we will arrange for the new firmness foam to be sent out to you through AusPost along with some instructions on how to swap them over!

To discard of the box, you will need to remove the metal wheel brackets, the metal staples, the wooden board and rope handle, then the cardboard components of the box can be popped in the recycling!

We hope this has been helpful but feel free to ask us any further questions!

mmck
mmckasked
Mattress

Does anyone have a sprung slatted base with their Sleeping Duck mattress?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the bed base requirements of the Sleeping Duck mattress!

Due to the individually pocketed springs within the lower half of the Duck, unfortunately a bed base with springs would not adequately support the mattress and ultimately void the 10 year warranty.

Feel free to check out our warranty page on our website for further information on our bed base requirements here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

Let us know if you have any further questions that we can assist with.

ShellEh T.
ShellEh T.asked
Firm King

Hi sleeping duck, I have a king size bed with slats that are 6.5cm apart. It has one supportive beam down the middle with 1 support leg in the middle. I read that for King size it needs 2 support beams with 2 support legs on each. But if I were to put a big flat piece of wood over the slats would this make it okay?
Thanks & take care
Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

We’re so pleased to hear that you’re interested in on of our Ducks and appreciate you double checking if your existing bed base will fit within our requirements!

It’s great that the slats within your base are less than 8cm apart from one another - tick!

However due to the weight of the King mattress (60kg) as well as the individually pocketed springs, we do require that there are 2 central beams running from the head to the foot of the base, with 4 central legs attached for grounded support.

Unfortunately adding a large piece of wood over the slats would not be a substitute for the additional support beam that is required to cover you for our 10 year warranty.

Please feel free to get in touch with the team here at SDHQ and we can discuss any further solutions.

SDHQ.

Rieasked
Half-Half King

Hi
Do I need to use a mattress protector?

Julie Little
Julie Little

Yes I have one on the bed. Makes it even more comfortable and keeps the mattress clean.

Hi Rie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

While it is not compulsory to use a mattress protector on the Sleeping Duck mattress due to the removal and washable bamboo cover, we often find that people choose to use one.

If you would like to use a mattress protector we would recommend ones that are from light and breathable materials such as Cotton, Tencel, Bamboo as these usually won't change the feel of the mattress.

A really great one that we have found is the brand “In Your Dreams". This is a bamboo mattress protector that fits the Duck and can be found at Spotlight or online.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!

Angie Qasked
Mattress

Do normal fitted sheets fit the SD matress?

Jade Ridge
Jade Ridge

We have a king size bed and normal king sized sheets fit the bed

Angie Q

Awesome Jade, we have king size, so that's the perfect answer for me :-)

Emma
Emma

Yep are all my fitted sheets I have fit the mattress even though it’s a higher mattress than I’m used to

BJay
BJayasked
Mattress

Slept on the mattress 1st time last night and I’m really happy with the Sleeping Duck mattress apart from the new smell, have it airing now but how long does the smell last.

Andrew  Glaister
Andrew Glaister

I didn't notice it sorry

DaveW
DaveW

Hi BJay, I didn’t notice it much, so I’d say 3 or 4 days.

Hi BJay,

Thanks so much for your question.

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with a smell.

Some people do find there is a bit of an initial oder, although this can absolutely depend on how sensitive you are to smells.

Rest assured, it's totally non toxic, and is simply due to the mattress being vacuum packed for transport.

It sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing! We often recommend taking the foams out during the day, and airing them in well ventilated room. Something else you can try is washing your sheets and the bamboo top cover, as the smell can linger there. Just use a cold gentle machine wash, and air dry it in the shade.

This smell should dissipate within the first weeks, but if you have any problems, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team. We're always happy to help!

If you like you can give us a call 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. Or shoot us an email to info@sleepingduck.com.

Leeasked
Mattress

I am I able to purchase the firmness inserts? If so, how much are they?

Hi Lee,

Thanks for reaching out, we really appreciate it!

You can absolutely purchase new firmness inserts, if you wish to adjust the firmness of your Duck outside of your 100 night guarantee. During your 100 nights, we'll send you these foams totally free of charge!

At this stage, our firmness foams are priced at $150 per piece. So if you have a Queen or King size Duck, and wanted to purchase new foams for each side, it will be a total of $300.

If you would like to look into purchasing some foams for your Duck, or if there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team. We're aways happy to help!

Lee

Thank you very much for your reply. I will contact the team.

No worries at all Lee!

Feel free to give us a call on 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday, 9am -5pm. Or you're welcome to shoot us an email to info@sleepingduck.com.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

BJay
BJayasked
Mattress

can an electric blanket be used?

Dianne Portingale
Dianne Portingale

We don't use an electric blanket but I cant see why you couldn't use one.

Ern Swan
Ern Swan

Yes you definitely can use an electric blanket

Hi BJay,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It's absolutely fine to use your electric blanket with the Duck, the foams and cover have been tested and confirmed to not be affected by the heat.

We would however only recommend leaving this on for maybe 3-4 hours then switching it off before going to bed, as foams do generally retain more heat.

Let us know if we can help further!

Debbie
Debbieasked
Mattress

I am looking at your mattresses to put in a high end holiday rental. Would you recommend a half/half firm/medium combination in a queen and singles that are pushed together as needed for a king in order to satisfy couples?

Kez
Kez

The medium is a good all rounder, not too soft and not too hard so should keep everyone happy. Look at how much it would cost you to buy extra inserts that guests could request if needed and have housekeeping put them in ready perhaps. A couple of ideas anyway.

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for reaching out, we really appreciate it

Firstly, so excited to hear you're interested in purchasing some Ducks for your holiday rental!

For the Queen sized bed you can absolutely purchase the Half Half configuration, so your guests can get the best of both worlds!

Keep in mind however, we do offer free firmness swaps during the 100 night guarantee, and all the foams are yours to keep!

So you could potentially order Firm or Medium on both sides initially, then arrange for a swap to the other firmness. This way you can have both the Firm and Medium foams available, and your guests can adjust it to their liking!

The firmness foam will always be in two pieces, so they can pop Firm in one side, and Medium in the other, if they so please.

For the Single sized mattresses, we don't generally recommend pushing them together to make a larger King sized bed. The reasoning behind this is the length will be a bit shorter than a traditional King sized bed, at 188cm. Additionally, they weren't designed to sit next to each other, so they may create a slight gap.

We do offer a King sized Duck as well, if you were interested.

Otherwise, you're more than welcome to get in touch with our team to discuss your options. We're always happy to help!

I hope this was helpful, but please let us know if you have any further questions!

Pete Jasked
Mattress

Is a SD mattress suitable for an adjustable bed base? Are they available in long or king single sizes?
Pete

Phil
Phil

No, they are not. I had an adjustable bed but found those mattresses to not be very good. I am happier with the SD mattress even though I can’t sit up in bed like I used to.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The Sleeping Duck mattress doesn't work with adjustable or electric bed bases. This is purely because the pocket springs move independently of one another and having a base that isn't flat will damage the integrity of the mattress overtime and cause problems.

We absolutely do have a King Single Duck however at this stage, we don't have a Long Single mattress nor do we have any plans to release one in the future. Due to machinery limitations we can only make our Ducks in traditional Australian standard sizes from Single up to King.

Please get in touch with the team if you have any further questions!

Thanks. All done

SallyS
SallySasked
Mattress

I have a King Single bed base with 8.5cm between slats, would this be acceptable for a Sleeping Duck mattress?

annac
annac

hi sally that is okay for sleeping duck mattress.

Hi Sally,

Thanks for getting in touch.

For slatted bases, the slats must be no more than 8cm apart from one another. If the slats are any further apart the pocket springs won't be supported properly, which can cause uneven support in the mattress.

As the distance in between your slats are not all less than 8cm, I would recommend placing a 2cm thick piece of ply wood over the top. This will ensure that all the pocket springs are supported, which is important to avoid dipping and sagging.

Please reach out if you have any further questions!

OOCHIEE.d
OOCHIEE.dasked
Mattress

What is the keep care instructions for the top cover?

Margaret Atkinson
Margaret Atkinson

Don’t know

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

The top bamboo cover can be put in the washing machine, using a gentle spin and cold wash only. It can't be put in the dryer, so we would recommend air drying it flat out of direct sunlight for its care and longevity. We recommend only doing this this once or twice a year for a freshen up!

We hope this has been helpful but please let us know if you have any further questions!

Carol Sasked

Hi Sleeping Duck,
I am enjoying my mattress but I wonder if the technology makes it particularly hot to sleep on? I first slept on a sleeping duck when it was much chillier and my current home environment is generally much warmer. I'm finding I am getting uncomfortably hot at night now. I'd appreciate hearing if this is feedback you've previously received and what can be done to counter it? Should I purchase a mattress topper for example? I already have a mattress cover btw.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We're sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing some issues with heat.

The Duck is designed to be a Hybrid-Design, combining both springs as well as foam.

We have used certain techniques to help with the cooling factor, such as pressure expanding our foams which allows them to be 8x more breathable than traditional foams. Heat is so personal to each individual and some people do unfortunately still find it on the warmer side.

When someone is concerned or struggling with heat, we sometimes recommend looking at a firmer firmness. For this reason, it allows you to sit higher in the mattress, trapping less heat and allowing more air to pass over you.

We would recommend possibly looking into the type of linens you're using to reduce heat within your mattress. We like to recommend Tencel, Bamboo or other really breathable cottons to help provide a cooler nights sleep.

We would also recommend looking into the type of bed base you currently have, as we recommend slatted bed bases to improve ventilation throughout the mattress.

Please let us know if we can help further.
Team Sleeping Duck :)

Michelle M.
Michelle M.asked
Medium King

Question 1: Would a bamboo waterproof mattress protector impact the comfort of the foam layer? Will the waterproof layer restrict the foam from compressing properly when I lay on it? I can see both waterproof and non-waterproof bamboo mattress protectors for sale, but not sure if it will make a difference with how the mattress works.

Question 2: The mattress already has a bamboo top layer. Do I still need a mattress protector?

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it!

Our top cover isn't waterproof, so we would always recommend using a protector to increase the longevity of your Duck.

If you would like to use a mattress protector we would recommend mattress protectors that are from light and breathable materials such as Cotton, Tencel, Bamboo. These usually won't change the feel of the mattress.

A great one we have found is a brand called "In Your Dreams". This is a bamboo mattress protector that fits the Duck and can be found at Spotlight or online.

Kind Regards,

Sheriza G.
Sheriza G.asked
Firm Single

If I purchase 2 could you give me a further discount?
if the mattress is not up to the kids liking, can i send it back for a full refund?

Hi Sheriza,

Thanks for reaching out.

We do have a 1 return per household policy (to minimise waste) so often we recommend ordering one, loving it, then ordering your second! We'd love to chat about this further so please feel free to contact our friendly team via phone or email!

Stephen P.
Stephen P.asked
Medium Queen

I am a hot sleeper and my wife a cooler sleeper and both require a medium mattress. Can the difference in “heat “ be regulated or catered for?

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives