Sleeping Duck Mattress

Sleeping Duck Mattress Questions & Answers (page 4 of 17)

Medium, Half-Half, Firm
Listing monitored by Sleeping Duck

335 questions from our users

Mandyasked
Mattress

We have pretty much decided to take the plunge and buy a Sleeping Duck Pro . Our only concern or question is - we both get very hot when in bed. Has anyone had an issues in that regard . Thank you in anticipation.
A

Jane M.
Jane M.

My partner also shares this issue, so far he hasn't made any comment about it affecting his sleep. I also don't notice it sleeping next to him with this mattress compared to others.

Mandy

Thank you Jane for taking the time to reply . We are hoping this mattress gives us some quality much needed sleep .

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Mandy (and Jane as well!).

We absolutely appreciate taking heat in account when looking at mattresses, as it's definitely something that does affect sleep for anyone. The style of mattress plays a quite a big role in this.

Everybody does sleep at different temperatures, so it is important to consider that any time you do have significant amounts of foam present in a mattress it will retain more heat than pure spring mattress. This is one of the trade-offs for having the extra comfort and customisation that foam provides you.

Our Ducks are are designed in order to minimise that heat felt when sleeping, especially the foam that we now use. We use a Hyper-Adaptive foam that is 8 times more breathable than memory foam and latex. We've produced it via a foam making process known as Pressure Foaming. This uses pressure expansion rather than chemical reactions to expand the foam, and results in that added breathability.

When combined with the ventilation provided by our pocket spring layer, it allows us to provide the comfort of foam with the support and breathability of full spring mattresses. Additionally our bamboo mattress cover offers extra breathability combined with a comfortable touch.

There are a few key things we recommend when looking to minimise with the heat in the mattress! We recommend using light breathable layers all year round. Removing any large and bulky mattress toppers and protectors and opting for a waterproof cover using natural fibres such as Tencel, bamboo and cotton can also have a significant impact.

On the occasion that a customer does mention they're feeling a little hot sleeping on their Duck, one of our next steps is potentially recommending a change in firmness. A firmer set-up has you sitting higher in the mattress, meaning less fabric surrounding you trapping the heat in.

That's one of the great things about a Sleeping Duck! You can shift around the feel to find your most comfortable setting, which is free with the firmness swaps that make up your 100 night guarantee. At the end of the day, if it still doesn't work out, you're of course then entitled to a free return and full pick-up within this period.

Kristie
Kristieasked
Mattress

Bought the top of the range of Tempur mattress and Zero G adjustable bed base. This was the most disappointing shopping that I ever made in my life and costing me lots of medical bills after sleeping on it (believe it or not, I got both arms with the frozen shoulder kind of symptoms after using it for 3 weeks, followed by 6 months later sleeping on each body side. I still get the stiff neck and back pains if I don't use with my hand-held massager. I want to change my mattress, but to keep the adjustable bed base. Just wondering if the Sleeping Duck mattress as be use on the adjustable bed base for Zero-G position?

Donald Rintoule
Donald Rintoule

Kristie, this is a technical questions so please either call Sleeping Duck customer support on Free call: 1800 667 196, Monday - Thursday | 9am - 5pm (AEST) and Friday | 9am - 4pm (AEST) or email them on: info@sleepingduck.com

Hi Kristie,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

We're very sorry to hear that your current mattress has caused stiffness in your arms, neck and back.

If you're having difficulty in these areas, you may prefer our Medium firmness level! It will allow a bit more give, which can help to relieve pressure in your arms, hips and shoulders, especially when you're sleeping on your side.

We also offer Soft as a swap option! While it's not available at the initial point of purchase, we can arrange for a swap to the Soft, if you find the Medium too firm. This will be totally free of charge during the 100 night guarantee!

Many Zero-G options do provide the required support for the Duck. As these bases can vary, however, we would recommend checking the warranty page of our website to see if your specific base complies.

Unfortunately, the pocket spring layer of the Duck does not provide the flexibility to cater to the adjustment options of your base, and would be damaged by the movement. If your Zero-G base does comply with our bed base requirements, it would have to used in a neutral position.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team if you have any further questions.

Kristie
Kristieasked
Mattress

Bought the the top of the range of Tempur mattress and Zero G adjustable bed base. This was the most disappointing shopping that I ever made in my life and costing me lots of medical bills after sleeping on it (believe it or not, I got both arms with the frozen shoulder kind of symptoms after using it for 3 weeks, followed by 6 months later sleeping on each body side. I still get the stiff neck and back pains if I don't use with my hand held massager. I want to change my mattress, but to keep the adjustable bed base. Just wondering if the Sleeping Duck mattress as be use on the adjustable bed base for Zero-G position?

Hi Kristie,

Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to say that the Duck is not designed to work with an adjustable bed base or frame. The springs have limited movement and are not designed to bend that way.

Feel free to check out our warranty page on our website for further information on bed base requirements here -https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Aurielaasked
Mattress

Hi Sleeping Duck I'm not sure which one to purchase as I am a side sleeper but I am overweight and I read that the mediums would be better for side sleeper but I don't want to have that sinking in the mattress feeling as I do get very sweaty and hot sweats at night i don't want to get more hotter if the mattress is sinking me and feeling like a hug all over my body I've read that if you get a firm mattress you won't have that sinking in experience and not feel as hot if you are a heavier person like my self who sweats at night on a firm is this true.? please help me which one should I choose as getting hot is quite uncomfortable and disturbs my sleep but I also get quite a lot of shoulder pain and hip pain on my current spring mattress that i have atm. Are your mattresses okay for my needs or should i keep looking? Thanks in advance.

CazB
CazB

I started out with the medium to try it first and went down to the soft and so much better. I'm a side sleeper and it took a little bit to get use to at first, but fantastic now after a couple of months.

Hi Auriela,

Thanks for your question!

Particularly coming in to summer, the warmth of a mattress is certainly something to consider.

As Cazb mentioned, we do generally recommend our Medium firmness level for side sleepers. This is because it is a bit more forgiving on the hips and shoulders.

However, you are correct in that moving up to a Firm will help with the heat. As your body will be raised, more so than on the Medium, this will minimise your contact with the foam. Making for a cooler sleep.

It's good to note as well that our Firm is not rock hard, as we have a layer of Hyper-Adaptive foam on top of the firmness foam. This is designed to be a soft comfort layer that conforms to your body, and will provide some pressure relief for your hips and shoulders.

We completely understand that choosing a firmness level can be difficult, and there are a lot of aspects to consider, which is why we offer free firmness swaps during the 100 night guarantee. This will give you time to try each firmness level, so you and find the best fit for your needs.

Keep in mind, we also offer free returns during your 100 nights.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions, our team is always happy to help!

Auriela

Thank you for your help on that i might go for firm then. Sounds like the better option for night sweats .

macdemac
macdemacasked
Mattress

We have had our sleeping duck for nearly 6 years and we were thinking of upgrading the foam ..is that possible?

Jason B.
Jason B.

Hi macdmac
I cant help with this but i would contact sleeping duck i think it would be

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch!

There have been some enhancements to the Sleeping Duck mattress since your version was apparently purchased nearly 6 years ago. There isn't anything missing from the mattress, just some changes to the foams and top cover!

We'd be more than happy to discuss upgrading your foam with you. Please feel free to get in touch with our friendly team via email, or give us a ring!

Michael
Michaelasked
Mattress

we have unpacked our mattress and one side of the top overhanges the base. do you come out to fix this?

Mauro
Mauro

This has nothing to do with my purchase

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It is absolutely normal for the foams inside the mattress to shift during transit and the unpacking stage, and from what you've described it sounds like this is what's happened with your Duck.

There is a quick and simple fix! You just need to unzip the top cover and realign your foams:

1. Unzip your top cover and leave to the side
2. Gently remove this top layer of Hyper-Adaptive foam.
(This layer is delicate so I'd recommend having 2 people lift from either side, or one person gently rolling the foam to the side)
3. Realign your firmness layer
4. Replace the Hyper-Adaptive full foam layer.
5. Zip on the top cover, be sure there is nothing in the way of the zip

I hope this helps but please feel free get in touch via email or phone call if you need any further assistance!

Lizasked

Hi Liz,

Thanks for reaching out

It's great to hear that the slats are no more than 8cm apart! However, our Queen size Ducks do require a base that has one central support beam evenly down the middle of the slats. This beam also does need to have two grounded legs.

Having sufficient support through the centre of your base is vital in ensuring both the longevity of your mattress and that you get the full benefits of a Sleeping Duck. This is also vital in ensuring that the base would be compliant with our 10 year warranty.

I hope this information was helpful but as always, please get in touch if you have any further questions

Marlene
Marleneasked
Medium Queen

My husband and I got a medium sleeping duck mattress. (14/8/20). He loves it. I sleep on my stomach. I have found that since we got it, in the morning I have a slight back ache. But it doesn’t last long. Do you think If I change my side to firm, it make any difference.
Marlene

Hi Marlene,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a question!

Finding the perfect firmness for a stomach sleepers can take a bit of trial and error. Generally we recommend starting on Medium firmness foam to ensure that there is less resistance on your pressure points however it really does come down to personal preference.

If you prefer a firmness level where you are resting more on top of the mattress as opposed to sinking in slightly, you may be more comfortable on our Firm insert. Firmness swaps are completely free within your first 100 nights and you get to hold onto your existing foam just in case you wish to swap back.

Get in touch with our team via phone or email and we can arrange this for you!

Lizasked
Mattress

Hi my bed base is a Queen slate strong thick each slate is about 5cm apart do i still need a middle horizontal slate with 2 legs? As stated of condition of warranty.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for getting in touch!

For Queen size we do still require that the base has one central support beam, that has two legs attached running down the bed from headboard to footboard. This beam provides vital central support to prevent unnatural levels of wear and sagging that otherwise wouldn't occur.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,

Heather Rankin
Heather Rankinasked
Mattress

Where can I find sheets tat fit the mattresses as we have a single mattress but no sheets fit it.

Hi Heather,

Thanks for getting in touch

The Duck is definitely on the deeper side at 31cm so you will want sheets that allow enough room for them to tuck under properly and not slip off during the night. We recommend purchasing sheets that are about 35-40cm deep!

We have heard from previous customers who have had luck with Sheridan, Adairs and Kmart. Alternatively we sell our very own sheets which come with a 100 night guarantee. You can find them on our website here [https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/sheets/](https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/sheets/)

As always, please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Kmart sheets fit perfectly

VLBasked
Mattress

I find the mattress very comfortable however is it normal that I am rolling into my husband who weighs more than me? Whenever he is in the bed I feel like I am falling down in his direction. Anyone else has this issue?

John Devereaux
John Devereaux

Hi. No, we don't have that problem - 80 kilo versus 55 kilo. On a good wooden slat base.

Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear that you feel as if you are rolling into the middle of your mattress, that does not sound like the best night sleep that we're known for!

With the correct bed base and regular rotation, our Ducks are made to last with a 10 year warranty. Having these specific requirements and following proper care/rotation of your Duck, will prevent any issues of sagging or dipping.

We do have some further requirements for our Queen and King mattresses, which are vital for these sizes, due to the extra width. This ensures that the weight is evenly distributed. You can read more about these requirements on our warranty page here [https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/]

As well as this, we recommend rotating the Duck 180 degrees once a month for the first 6 months and then once quarterly thereafter to improve its longevity. This greatly helps disperse the wear and pressure that each area of the mattress receives over time and can help with preventing that rolling feeling that you're experiencing.

If you still find yourself struggling with this issue, please get in touch with our team and we can investigate this further for you!

We just want all of our customers get a good night's sleep.

VLB

Thanks so much. We have only had it for 1 week so I will look at the link you provided and make sure the base we have is suitable!

Dr Drigo
Dr Drigoasked
Mattress

With one is the firmest and who long it takes to arrive in Mackay/ Queensland?
I need one ASAP.

Rae
Rae

I got the 'firm' mattress and mine was the next day! But you may need to check with Sleeping Duck for your location.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Sleeping Duck mattress comes pre-configured as Medium, Firm or Half/Half. We find that 94% of our customers are happy with those choices! After the initial 21 night adjustment period there is the option to do a free firmness swap to an "Extra Firm" foam, which is the firmest foam we offer!

Delivery to Mackay 4740 would take up to 10 business days. The easiest way to order is online through our website, alternatively feel free to give us a ring!

I hope this helps but as always, please let us know if you have any further questions :)

Paul Q.
Paul Q.asked
Firm King

Hi, I have just opened my new sleeping duck mattress as per the instructions and there is a big bump in the centre. Is this normal after it decompress? TIA

Russell Poulier
Russell Poulier

Dear Paul, the mattress will flatten after a period of time so do not worry.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out
It is absolutely normal for the foams inside the mattress to shift during the unpacking stage.

There is a quick and simple fix!
You just need to unzip the top cover and realign your foams:
1. Unzip your top cover and leave to the side
2. Gently remove this top layer of Hyper-Adaptive foam.
*This layer is delicate so I'd recommend having 2 people lift from either side, or one person gently rolling the foam to the side.*
3. Realign your firmness layer. This layer is split in half and will be causing the 'ridge' you have. Replace the Hyper-Adaptive full foam layer.
4. Zip on the top cover, be sure there is nothing in the way of the zip. Please get in touch if there is anything else I can

I hope this helps but as always please let us know if you have any further questions!

King regards,

Jason G.
Jason G.asked
Mattress

Hi guys can i put an electric blanket on a sleeping duck.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us!

It's absolutely fine to use your electric blanket with the Duck, the foams and cover have been tested and confirmed to not be affected by the heat! We would however only recommend leaving this on for maybe 3-4 hours then switching it off before going to bed, as foams do generally retain more heat.

I hope this has helped but please let us know if you have any further questions!

DebM
DebMasked
Mattress

I am looking to buy a Sleeping duck mattress and bed but I can't find anywhere where it tells me the height of the finished product. We would buy the Queen bed and base but I would like to make sure it matches my side tables. If somebody wouldn't mind measuring the bed from floor to top of mattress, I would be so grateful.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Deb!

Our Ducks are approximately 31cm in depth.

Our Bed Base (which can be viewed here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/bedbase) is approx. 25cm in height, and has the mattress sitting flush on top. So, the resting the height of a Sleeping Duck on our Bed Base will be approx. 56cm from the floor.

We also offer our Bed Frame (https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/bedframe). This has the mattress sitting 5cm recessed into it, meaning the top of the Duck will be sitting approx. 51cm from the ground! Please do keep in mind that we are currently limited in the delivery range for our Frame.

Please do get in touch with us if there's anything further we can help with!

Future customer
Future customerasked
Mattress Medium

can you please where I could test mattress in Sydney

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your interest in the Duck!

At this stage we do not currently have any showrooms to view the mattress in Sydney.

As we are predominately an online business, we find the best way to really try out our mattress is within the comfort of your own home, completely risk free, with our 100 Night Guarantee! During this time we offer free delivery and free firmness swaps. However if you decide the mattress isn't right for you, we'll get it picked up and provide you with a full refund within the first 100 Nights.

I hope this helps, but please reach out if you have any further questions.

Vanessa S.
Vanessa S.asked
Mattress

Has anyone found a fitted sheet that fits well? My usual sheets seem to fit too large, I assume as they are made to fit the larger mattresses with pillow tops

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for reaching out

As our Duck is a little deeper than some others on the market, at 31cm, we often recommend a fitted sheet that is between 35cm and 40cm deep.

These type of sheets can be found in stores such as Kmart, Sheridan and Adairs. Alternatively, if you are interested, Sleeping Duck sheets fit perfectly over the mattress and have been designed exactly for this. You can view them on our website and they also come with a 100 night guarantee in case you don't like them!

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask

BGLasked
Mattress

I would like to know why I can't put the sleeping duck mattress on my current ensemble base which may or may not have springs in it, after all there's a support beam in the middle with 2 legs ( castors), so why would you void the warranty? My current mattress is a spring coil ( I think) "sleepmaker", it's heavy and it hasn't sagged after 25 years. What will happen to the sleeping duck mattress if I did put in on the same base because I really don't want to buy another base.

BGL

Why does it take so long to answer, I want to order the mattress.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your question.

We completely understand not wanting to buy another bed base, particularly if you're happy with your current one.

To get the best out of your Duck essentially, we just want to ensure from the beginning that the Duck will be placed on a sufficiently supportive base. This is to help with even weight distribution, to avoid any sagging over time and to maintain the longevity of the mattress.

You're correct in saying that the join between the two bases that make up the ensemble will provide central support.

However, it can be sometimes tricky with ensemble bases to gauge what the interior support looks like.

As our mattress has a pocket spring layer on the bottom 2/3rds, we advise against placing the Duck on any bed base with springs in it. The springs in the mattress and the springs in the bed base would clash and could therefore cause damage and compromise the integrity of the pocket springs.

If you are sure that your ensemble has springs in the interior, there are modifications that can be done to provide an even support surface for mattress. You could place quite a thick (4 to 5cm at the least) sheet of plywood that covers all four corners of the ensemble.

This would cancel out the bounciness of the springs within the ensemble, and provide a solid, flat surface for the Duck to sit on.

If the interior of your ensemble has slats that are no more than 8cm apart, then this would be the right support to use in conjunction with the Duck.

You can check out some more information on our bed base guidelines and warranty information here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team any time if you have any further questions or concerns.

John Checkley
John Checkleyasked
Mattress

From one of the answers in the reviews it appears that you have some requirements to ensure the warranty is valid particularly around the centre supports and number of legs under theses supports.
We have a Super King bed (from the UK), and the mattress is now ready for replacement, it is an extremely heavy coil spring mattress which the bed has coped with easily. Having said that it does not have legs in the positions you have mentioned for warranty purposes, it almost seems that to remain under the 10 year warranty period a bespoke bed frame needs to be handmade. Having researching for a while I have been unable to find a bed frame with the configuration you say is required.
Even the bed frames on your own website do not have the specifications i.e. legs under the centre of the bed for the larger mattresses. So do we ensure the warranty is valid should there be a problem in 6-7-8 years time?

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out.

You are correct in saying that we do have a number of bed base requirements to to ensure that it is well supported, and you get the most out of your mattress! These are also important to protect your 10 year warranty.

The base will need to be a firm flat surface or slats, no more than 8cm apart. Additionally, the King size will need two central support beams, with two legs attached to ground it. These requirements will ensure that the Duck won't develop dipping and sagging, as all the pocket springs will be supported, and the weight on the mattress is grounded and evenly distributed.

If your existing base does not have the correct support, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to have a bespoke base made. We've had customers DIY these extra support beams and grounded legs onto their base with a quick trip to the local hardware store and help from a handy friend.

In regards to the 'Bed Frame' imagery on our website, pictured is a Double Bed Frame which only has one vertical support beam in comparison to the King which has two!

I hope this helps but please reach out if you have any further questions.

JustaPerson
JustaPersonasked
Mattress

Has anyone had issues with body indentations? It's not like you can just turn the mattress if you have the half and half option?

Hi there,

Thanks for inquiring about the Duck!

Regarding the indentation query, if you are diligent in rotating the mattress as well as having a full supportive base there should be no body indentations! We recommend rotation be done once a month for the first 6 months then every 3 months for the life span of the mattress.

We definitely still recommend rotating a Half/Half Duck 180 degrees to help with weight distribution and longevity. On the Half/Half Duck you simply would then just need to unzip your top cover and swap over the second layer of foam!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives