Smeg K181X90

Smeg K181X90

Only lasted 5 years

As others have stated, I upgraded and put this rangehood model into our new house build in 2014. The exhaust fan has stopped working, we probably only use it twice a week at dinner. I’ve contacted Smeg who said they would send out a technician for $130, and then charge me $30 per 15 minutes to repair. I couldn’t believe it. I may as well buy a new rangehood, I thought Smeg were quality appliances that warranted the price tag?! Never again.

Purchased in February 2014.

Hi Ren. Thanks for your review. Can you kindly email us direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Once we have this information we will be in direct contact with you to discuss this further. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au. Kind regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA.

Excellent customer service and brand pride

This range hood was installed as part of a new home build in September 2014. Unfortunately in September 2018 the exhaust ceased working. As the product only has a 2 year warranty, I contacted 2 local electricians, one didn't turn up and the second was hesitant to identify the problem. I read another review on this site which was Smeg customer care responding to another customer. I emailed the email address in that response and within an hour I received a call from Smeg stating that they would send a repair person AT NO COST to me. Within an hour, a local authorised repairer contacted me and arranged a time to attend. They attended today and fault was fixed within half an hour. This is the first time I have owned SMEG appliances and had heard that they were a good quality product. I would like to thank SMEG for their excellent customer service and would definitely recommend this brand to others.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Stay away from this model.

Have had the K181X90 since February 2015, purchased with other SMEG kitchen products for a renovated kitchen. Since a week or two after installation, and regardless of very regular filter cleaning, the oil from extracted cooking drips back from the fan casing onto the filter, and then drips back onto the stove top. Be careful if you have food cooking at the time!!
You must wipe the fan casing almost weekly to avoid the cooking oil dripping onto the filter and forming as an oily drip. I thought this was a unique problem with my unit until researching recently on line to find a solution, and found it is a complaint made by others for this and other similar SMEG models. Wouldn't buy another one, ever.
It's a pity because I haven't had any problems with cook top, oven and microwave from SMEG

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Dear Greg, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenDear Steve, thanks for your assistance. As arranged, and exactly on time, a SMEG representative arrived at home and carried out work on the exhaust fan and provided some technical insight into its operation. Given the distance from Sydney to my address, the customer service was above and beyond and very much appreciated. Service that is not always offered by other manufacturers. Whilst the initial issue with the exhaust fan might be considered minor, your reaction showed a very strong commitment to customer service. Fantastic.

Worst Rangehood Ever

We thought we were getting a high end product, it has a large design flaw where the oil etc that it sucks up gathers onto the black box that sits above the middle grate. Then all it does is drip oil back onto my cooktop. We have continually cleaned the grills & even when they are fresh out of the dishwasher this still happens. Worst product ever. Very disappointed.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Dear KarlC, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to arrange a service call to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

I purchased this rangehood and have had similar problems re the oil dripping also the lights keep blowing, don’t know how many times I have had to replace them, I purchased this 24/08/2013 , can’t seem to find how long warranty is for ? Do u get it fixed or replace it ?
They provided a charcoal filter that sits inside the hood & haven't had an issue since. My lights also blow fairly regularly.Hi Query 1 you would be best to get a technician to look at the hood as there may be something wrong with the air flow, please call Smeg service on 02 8667 4833 to arrange a service call. Regards Smeg tech support.