SA5501X, SA5502X
Listing monitored by Smeg

Potentially Dangerous

Agh, the saga of a SMEG rangehood. It was much noisier than stated when first installed, had a technician out who just said it’s fine without measuring the actual decibels and then we had to foot travel cost! Had a number of other issues with it, fans stopped working at random and then would come on a long time after switching on. Now it has stopped all together. The day after it stopped completely, I forgot and turned it on only to have it make a succession of electrical bangs. Scared me as I thought I could be hurt trying to turn it off! DO NOT BUY!

Purchased for $815.00.

Rodney M.Smeg
Ellen
EllenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good company to deal with

We had issues with our range hood but are very happy with SMEG’s response to our problem. Unlike some, this company will look after you . We are very impressed.

Purchased in October 2016 for $1,300.00.

Mingo
MingoGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Quality issue

I have this unit installed with my other SMEG Appliances stove and oven. In less than 3 years, the unit has power but fan is no longer working. Bad quality for such a new unit.

Find out how Smeg SA550 Series compares to other Range Hoods

Another one with the fan failing

Bought 3 March 2016 $950 from Bing Lee.

Fan stopped working today. Judging from the other reviews this is a common fault.

Like everyone else I expected a lot more from this product.

Purchased in March 2016 at Bing Lee for $950.00.

Gemma
Gemma

I've sent an email and waited and waited...

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Gemma, I have noticed that we have a goodwill call booked for your appliance on the 7th of May. Regards Steve Cullen

Mr TSydney, NSW

Fan stopped working after 3 years

The fan won't turn on even though all the switches seem to work fine. I removed the range hood and manually turned the fan. When the fan is turning manually the fan works. It appears it cannot start the fan from a standstill. I am extremely disappointed given the expense spent on a quality product. I will return to Bosch as my product of choice.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones for $900.00.

Mr T

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your prompt response to resolve the issue as its now working perfectly again. I am greatly appreciative of your product support and I am glad we chose SMEG as the brand for all our kitchen appliances. Cheers, Mike

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Rose27
Rose27WOLLONGONG

Not Happy

Smeg Rangehood installed December last year, makes a lot of noise but doesn’t do anything. Contacted Masterton Homes who installed it and was told, “You got what you asked for” brilliant answer, no help no offer to check it, well I do hope my Oven and Dishwasher also Smeg last the distance. So in the meantime I am left with no Rangehood.

Purchased in December 2019.

Rodney M.Smeg
Benno
BennoQueensland

Disappointed

Disappointed because we expected better longevity with SMEG. Looks like there is a 5 year limit on these. Mine was installed around June 2013. So approximately 5 1/2 years before it started to fail. Buttons started to play up doing different things or not responding... after a few month, now no response at all. We know it is out of warranty. I emailed Smeg to get an idea of prices for parts but they referred me to a contractor at $165 visit for first 1/2hr to find out what is wrong. This unit cost $760 before installation.

Purchased in May 2013 at Harvey Norman for $760.00.

Caitlin
CaitlinLaunceston

Fan fell off after 4 years.

Date PurchasedJune 2014

Rangehood not working

Hi Smeg my Rangehood has stopped working after 6 years of having purchased it seems like i have the same problem as the persons above . Wanting to know if this will be a ongoing issue with this model
Lights and fan work sporadically
Turn the light switch on and fan comes on vise versa
I am happy with the Rangehood since buying it as its strong suction and have never had a problem with it since installing it .
Not to impressed with the life span of a $1500 unit

Date PurchasedJuly 2014
Nicole
NicoleMelbourne

Very Disappointed!!

I purchased this Smeg slideout range hood a few years ago and the fan has been working very well. Earlier this year I pressed the light button to turn it on. Both the on and off light button pressed back into their slot so it is now very difficult to use them. I have barely used the lights on the rangehood so there should not be a problem with wear and tear. This is very disappointing as I choose a smeg brand product thinking it would last longer than other brands.

Date PurchasedJune 2013
D.StarSunshine Coast Queensland

So disappointing SMEG what a let down

Date PurchasedDec 2013
D.Star

An update- SMEG customer support has contacted me to arrange an experienced technician to look at repair or replacing the rangehood. Great to see brand backing a product. Outcome to follow.

Disappointed

We purchased our Smeg range hood 5 years ago. Spent a bit more believing it was better quality and would last longer. Disappointed that it has stopped working and now have the added expense of repairing it. Noticed a lot of others have had problems with this model and it has been discontinued.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Disappointed from day 1

We trusted the Smeg name but are totally disappointed. The first 18 mths we had to call twice for repairs. One year later another problem and now the rangehood is 4 yrs old and not working at all. Unfortunately I'm weary to buy the same brand again.
Dishwasher also has had problems.

Date PurchasedJune 2012
Linda
Linda

I'm pleased to say we have a resolution. Our rangehood was replaced with the compliments of SMEG. Really appreciate their prompt service.

Dana
Danaasked
SA550 Series

Hi My Smeg wont work . The fan stopped after i cleaned the filters . Is there a simple fix. I didnt touch anything else

Atul P.
Atul P.asked
SA5502X60 (60 cm)

My SMEG range hood is about 10 yr old. Fan started not working & then light started stopped working. Switches/button are five on panel. Board behind switches/buttons part no is 08086249. Can I buy that part?

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Atul, This part is no longer available from the supplier.

Madbenjoel
Madbenjoelasked
SA550 Series

I have been quoted $130 each for rangehood fans for P52/2 by a Smeg referred contractor. My concern is they also quoted $130 for 2 light assemblies (after charging $110 for a visit) when I change a globe and it works perfectly. Confidence in contractor is not high! Is the quoted price reasonable?

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Madbenjoel. Thank you for your enquiry. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager. Can you please email me your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with the name of the Company ( Authorised Smeg Repairer ) who has given you this quote. I will then be able to ascertain what we can do to help you. My email is Steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - I await you email, thank you STEVE CULLEN

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives

Compare all 4 Smeg SA550 Series