Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

SA987CX, SA987CX-2

A total waste of money

I wanted a convection oven to save electricity - save on heating a large oven for two baked potatoes. I have not yet been able to bake anything. The micro facility works OK, but I had a perfectly good micro that I took out to fit the convection/micro combo, so nothing gained there. I doubt it ever heats above 120C. After complaining, it was replaced - with exactly the same outcome. A real lemon of a product. Be warned!

caught on fire

The Smeg microwave literally caught on fire.
What more can I say scared of using Smeg equipment ever again.

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $600.00.

Noise Level
Rodney M.Smeg

JulesVictoria

Highly recommend to stay away from this product

I had the same experience. So disappointed. It has melted plastic and does not work very well as a microwave at all. We are sometimes too scared to use it. We thought Smeg was such a great brand and purchased the stove top, oven and was talked in to by Harvey Norman the convention/microwave. Disappointed with all and this is my 3rd house build in 22years and would not recommend Smeg at all. I have never had troubles with the other brands. The stove top is so hard to clean and leaves stains which I was advised how to clean by Smeg which was ridiculous. The materials they use is absolute crap. I highly recommend that you don’t spend extra on getting Smeg instead pay a little more and get Miele or spend less and get a much more decent product.

Purchased in September 2017 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $800.00.

Noise Level

Daniel

DanielSydney, NSW

So far so good

It’s been working ok so far. The design is fairly attractive and it looks good on a built in style shelf in the kitchen. Cooking quality is good. Heats fairly evenly.

Purchased in September 2018.

Kay

KayWarwick

DON'T BUY

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Great Customer Service from SMEG

I had a problem with my Smeg microwave. It had sparked and then stopped working on the microwave function. It was well out of warranty - I've had it 4 years and it's a 2 year warranty, so really I had no expectation that Smeg would help. I contacted their customer service rep directly explaining the problem. Also that the convection function had never been particularly great. He arranged for Prestige Appliance Repair centre in Adelaide to repair it for me, free of charge as a goodwill gesture. It was repaired quickly and for free, for which I am very grateful. A 5 out of 5 for their customer service!

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Amanda

AmandaSydney, NSW

Has had a couple of hiccups

Works well but have had to get it repaired under warranty.

The smeg customer help was fantastic and so was technician.

The frustration is that After around 6 months microwave stopped heating after being used. The technician Came within a week and fixed it. They did this free if charge.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Matthew

MatthewAdelaide

Looks great but doesn't heat your food

We didn't understand why our food has been heating up unevenly until we decided to google and realised that its actually a common problem with this model. The microwave looks great, easy to clean but just doesn't do what any simple microwave should which is simply heat your food evenly. We don't have a receipt as it was given to us as a wedding present and are very disappointed with Smeg for making a product that just doesn't do what any simple microwave should. We called the Smeg customer service they advised us that it'll cost $70 just to look at it and $45 per every 15mins plus parts. That's un-Australian. You can't make a product that's got a fault and expect your customers to pay to fix the fault.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Pete

PeteSydney Australia

Microwave function failure

I also experienced a microwave function failure, where the grill and convention function continued to work. This was after 4 years of mild usage of the oven. As you can imagine I was also disappointed after spending a premium price on such a reputable brand for this to happen.
Luckily I found this review website and decided to contact steve.cullen@smeg.com.au who took on my case immediately and within two days I had a tech at my home who repaired the problem free of charge.
I could not have hoped for a more professional outcome to the problem. I understand that mechanical things can fail for various reasons and was more than pleased to find that SMEG also appreciated that and resolved my problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Jasmine1485

Jasmine1485QLD, 4560

When it worked, it was great

At first, I would have given this microwave a great rating - it's easy to use, I like the keypad and it's easy to adjust the time. However, then the turntable and light stopped working. As I bought it secondhand I have no way to repair under warranty. I'm disappointed because Smeg generally is a high quality brand.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Don't touch this product

At great expense I bought the model before this product, broke down with-in the first 6 months (carousel stopped working) , credit where credit is due, Smeg replaced it with the latest model, again the carousel stopped working twice the tech came out to repair, I am now out of warranty so they don't want to know. A beautiful microwave with a cheap plastic fitting that is supposed to operate a carousel in a convection and microwave oven - one tiny piece has let it down, microwave is unusable.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Daniel Francis

Daniel FrancisMelbourne

Does the job, nice and large

Pros - large capacity, easy to use, great design, good quality glass and stainless steel, most other microwaves we looked at the glass looked wavy and seemed hard to keep clean.
Cons - stopped working after 2 years, took to service centre in Melbourne, advised it was a common problem, the magnetron had failed, it waa fixed under warranty within 2 days, great service.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Joybell

JoybellBlackburn

Goody

Great little micro, a little slow cooking though compared to my old Smeg, not sure why seems strange. Never less I always like Smeg goods and there service is second to none. Never had a problem getting things fixed both in or out of warranty. Fast turn around as well

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Howard

HowardBrisbane

Smeq microwave

Got this as part of the new house that i have just built. Seen complicated and not straight forward to use. One time after using the defrost function, the microwave just switch off itself. We could not switch it back on. The next day we have a power outage. When the power came back on the microwave has been switch on again !!! Not sure what happen.
No problem since then.
Finger cross.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Nayb

NaybSydney

Pretty solid product

Even though there seem to be some mixed reviews about this product, I also purchased this microwave after my parents and my in-laws had it for years. It does the job, it's a little loud sometimes but it heats food. Not sure what else you can really want from it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

sugiri widjaja

sugiri widjaja

moderate

pricey and not really that outstanding..i have to returned this to bing lee for repair once.heating can be a lot quicker that other brands.i bought this just to fit in the kitchen wardrobe so it fit in perfectly..otherwise i may buy other cheaper product with higher quality..i dont use the oven that much so cant comment

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Heesavage

Heesavage

Good product

Many founction options, easy to use. The power is good, the food can be heated up normally within 2 minutes. The metal plate replaced normal glass one, which makes it can not be broken and easy to clean. The only shortfall is it is noisy when functioning. I recommend it.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Amazing SMEG Service

I emailed the SMEG National Service Manager after incurring a performance issue with my four year old SA987CX Convection Microwave. SMEG customer service responded within 20 minutes of receiving my email, sent someone to site within 2 business days, identified the issue and rectified the situation at no cost - I am now back in business and extremely grateful. Thank you to SMEG and to the helpful serviceman who came to site, it was amazing service.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Rotating wheels not working - Brand New!

We only started using the Smeg Convection Microwave Oven in the last month and after the first week the wheels that spin the plate around stopped turning. It looks as though the wheels have been flattened but not sure how as I haven't put anything that heavy in there to cook, which is what I'm guessing is why it's not turning around anymore. I basically need to stop and turn the plate/dish around so it evenly cooks/heats. It was a gift so I don't have a receipt to go back and have it replaced. Not sure if there's a part that I can buy to replace the wheel spinner and see if that was the actual problem.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Honeybee

Honeybee

Started out great, 4 years on rotating base no longer works

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Geoff M

Geoff Masked

The turntable of our SMEG SA987CX-2 is malfunctioning and struggles to turn when a large dish is placed on it. Where can I get it fixed? I live in Newcastle.

Philippa T
Philippa T

Good luck with that Geoff. I called the distributor in Camberwell, Melbourne with my problem and they arranged a technician to attend. They `fixed' it - but not.

Bob

Bobasked

SA987CX

I have a SMEG sa987cx-1 but the globe needs replacing. Is there 2 globes ? How do change the globes over ?

bkcel24

bkcel24asked

SA987CX-2

We have always had SMEG microwaves with no issues. My husband has bought a new one with the grilling feature however every time I use the microwave to heat things up - the condensation that is left in there is not something I’ve ever seen before. It stays wet until the next time I open the door. I don’t think this is normal. Thoughts?

Jules

Yes, I have had the same problem and just wipe it out each time when it happens. I really don't like it at all. We had an cheap Aldi microwave just whilst we were building and I wish I never got rid of it as it was much better. I also think they just use plastic crappy material to make there products now. They certainly don't make things as they use to.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi bkcel24, thank you for your review. Have you contacted us to discuss this matter? We would love to have an opportunity to assist you. Can you kindly email us with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We will then organise an inpsection of your appliance. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Jules, thanks for your feedback as well - we would also love to have an opportunity to assist you with your problem, can you email us also with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. We await your information. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives

Download manual