Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

SA987CX and SA987CX-2

Highly recommend to stay away from this product

I had the same experience. So disappointed. It has melted plastic and does not work very well as a microwave at all. We are sometimes too scared to use it. We thought Smeg was such a great brand and purchased the stove top, oven and was talked in to by Harvey Norman the convention/microwave. Disappointed with all and this is my 3rd house build in 22years and would not recommend Smeg at all. I have never had troubles with the other brands. The stove top is so hard to clean and leaves stains which I was advised how to clean by Smeg which was ridiculous. The materials they use is absolute crap. I highly recommend that you don’t spend extra on getting Smeg instead pay a little more and get Miele or spend less and get a much more decent product.

Purchased in September 2017 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $800.00.

Noise Level

So far so good

It’s been working ok so far. The design is fairly attractive and it looks good on a built in style shelf in the kitchen. Cooking quality is good. Heats fairly evenly.

Purchased in September 2018.

DON'T BUY

At first it was wonderful. But microwave very quickly started developing flaws within 6 months like the turntable cog slipping up which stops the microwave turning. I persevered because initially it was only occasionally and thought maybe I hadn't put the food or turntable in correctly. But I was wrong. It now turns for lucky to be 30 secs to 3 minutes. The light no longer works, the top heating element doesn't always work, it burns food in convection and microwave mode, even if you open and manually turn turntable. It has even burnt metal at 180 degrees in under 2 minutes (when turntable was working). Buy something else ! Bought SMEG for the first time thinking it would be quality, and will tide me over until I renovate the kitchen and buy new big expensive stove package. Has put me off SMEG in future purchases. Buy SHARP - never had a bad model in 35 years !

Date PurchasedJun 2013
Dear Kay, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also scan me a copy of the purchase receipt. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Great Customer Service from SMEG

I had a problem with my Smeg microwave. It had sparked and then stopped working on the microwave function. It was well out of warranty - I've had it 4 years and it's a 2 year warranty, so really I had no expectation that Smeg would help. I contacted their customer service rep directly explaining the problem. Also that the convection function had never been particularly great. He arranged for Prestige Appliance Repair centre in Adelaide to repair it for me, free of charge as a goodwill gesture. It was repaired quickly and for free, for which I am very grateful. A 5 out of 5 for their customer service!

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Has had a couple of hiccups

Works well but have had to get it repaired under warranty.

The smeg customer help was fantastic and so was technician.

The frustration is that After around 6 months microwave stopped heating after being used. The technician Came within a week and fixed it. They did this free if charge.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Looks great but doesn't heat your food

We didn't understand why our food has been heating up unevenly until we decided to google and realised that its actually a common problem with this model. The microwave looks great, easy to clean but just doesn't do what any simple microwave should which is simply heat your food evenly. We don't have a receipt as it was given to us as a wedding present and are very disappointed with Smeg for making a product that just doesn't do what any simple microwave should. We called the Smeg customer service they advised us that it'll cost $70 just to look at it and $45 per every 15mins plus parts. That's un-Australian. You can't make a product that's got a fault and expect your customers to pay to fix the fault.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Dear Matthew, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Microwave function failure

I also experienced a microwave function failure, where the grill and convention function continued to work. This was after 4 years of mild usage of the oven. As you can imagine I was also disappointed after spending a premium price on such a reputable brand for this to happen.
Luckily I found this review website and decided to contact steve.cullen@smeg.com.au who took on my case immediately and within two days I had a tech at my home who repaired the problem free of charge.
I could not have hoped for a more professional outcome to the problem. I understand that mechanical things can fail for various reasons and was more than pleased to find that SMEG also appreciated that and resolved my problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

When it worked, it was great

At first, I would have given this microwave a great rating - it's easy to use, I like the keypad and it's easy to adjust the time. However, then the turntable and light stopped working. As I bought it secondhand I have no way to repair under warranty. I'm disappointed because Smeg generally is a high quality brand.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Don't touch this product

At great expense I bought the model before this product, broke down with-in the first 6 months (carousel stopped working) , credit where credit is due, Smeg replaced it with the latest model, again the carousel stopped working twice the tech came out to repair, I am now out of warranty so they don't want to know. A beautiful microwave with a cheap plastic fitting that is supposed to operate a carousel in a convection and microwave oven - one tiny piece has let it down, microwave is unusable.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Dear Pippa, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and telephone contact details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Does the job, nice and large

Pros - large capacity, easy to use, great design, good quality glass and stainless steel, most other microwaves we looked at the glass looked wavy and seemed hard to keep clean.
Cons - stopped working after 2 years, took to service centre in Melbourne, advised it was a common problem, the magnetron had failed, it waa fixed under warranty within 2 days, great service.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Goody

Great little micro, a little slow cooking though compared to my old Smeg, not sure why seems strange. Never less I always like Smeg goods and there service is second to none. Never had a problem getting things fixed both in or out of warranty. Fast turn around as well

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Smeq microwave

Got this as part of the new house that i have just built. Seen complicated and not straight forward to use. One time after using the defrost function, the microwave just switch off itself. We could not switch it back on. The next day we have a power outage. When the power came back on the microwave has been switch on again !!! Not sure what happen.
No problem since then.
Finger cross.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Pretty solid product

Even though there seem to be some mixed reviews about this product, I also purchased this microwave after my parents and my in-laws had it for years. It does the job, it's a little loud sometimes but it heats food. Not sure what else you can really want from it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

moderate

pricey and not really that outstanding..i have to returned this to bing lee for repair once.heating can be a lot quicker that other brands.i bought this just to fit in the kitchen wardrobe so it fit in perfectly..otherwise i may buy other cheaper product with higher quality..i dont use the oven that much so cant comment

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Good product

Many founction options, easy to use. The power is good, the food can be heated up normally within 2 minutes. The metal plate replaced normal glass one, which makes it can not be broken and easy to clean. The only shortfall is it is noisy when functioning. I recommend it.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Amazing SMEG Service

I emailed the SMEG National Service Manager after incurring a performance issue with my four year old SA987CX Convection Microwave. SMEG customer service responded within 20 minutes of receiving my email, sent someone to site within 2 business days, identified the issue and rectified the situation at no cost - I am now back in business and extremely grateful. Thank you to SMEG and to the helpful serviceman who came to site, it was amazing service.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Rotating wheels not working - Brand New!

We only started using the Smeg Convection Microwave Oven in the last month and after the first week the wheels that spin the plate around stopped turning. It looks as though the wheels have been flattened but not sure how as I haven't put anything that heavy in there to cook, which is what I'm guessing is why it's not turning around anymore. I basically need to stop and turn the plate/dish around so it evenly cooks/heats. It was a gift so I don't have a receipt to go back and have it replaced. Not sure if there's a part that I can buy to replace the wheel spinner and see if that was the actual problem.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Dear Jess, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Started out great, 4 years on rotating base no longer works

Much in line with other posts in this review our always has excessive steam on cooking and often drips out around door. We have also had the issue that the plastic part that sits on the spindle where the rotating arm sits on raises up above the rotating arm so that the arm doesn't rotate and therefore food overheats unevenly. This has always happened when using the convection over 200deg C but after 4yrs now this happens every time we use it and when cooking a 2 or 3 min time period we have to stop it 4 or 5 times to reset the plastic part in the spindle and reset the rotating arm on the plastic part. It's very annoying now and we can't walk away from the machine or turn or backs for 30secs because the tray will stop rotating and burn food. Not impressed that an expensive, big name brand would fail after only four yrs.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013
Dear Honeybee, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Pretty ordinary product

We bought a smeg package when we did up our kitchen and the other items are good however this microwave is very very ordinary. After numerous attempts to repair it from new it was replaced in less than a year. The grilled stopped working recently and now it sparks internally when microwaving when it works at all.
Overall very disappointing for a supposedly premium brand this is not a great experience. We would not recommend smeg if you want a reliable product.

Date PurchasedSep 2008

Terrible microwave

Worst microwave no clock when I cook in and open the door and it full of water covered food and not covered water gets all around the door drips on the floor put a potato bake in the other day turntable stop so it burnt have to open the door then shut it to set it

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

We have had our SA987CX for 5 years without any issues, all of a sudden the start button when pushed will not work at all. All other buttons seem to work but without the start button the microwave is useless.
Dear A.B., I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the back of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThank you, appreciate your help. Will do now.

Hi like the two previous customers in the product review my smeg convection microwave doesnt heat up enough on the convection setting and the lower grill. The upper grill and the microwave work well but the lower grill and the convection oven dont heat up enough for cooking although they are both heating up a bit. It has only been used as a microwave for the last couple of months. The oven is approx 3yrs old. All the functions appear to be working fine. I would like to get it repaired but have been told that it would cheaper to buy a convection microwave from KMart As this seems to be a glitch with these ovens I wondered you could help me thanks Rossi
Dear Rossi, I have already sent you an email in answer to yours. Regards Steve Cullen

How do you change the oven light? Rory

Smeg SA987CXSmeg SA987CX-2