Smeg SA987CX-2

17 questions from our users

bkcel24

bkcel24asked

SA987CX-2

We have always had SMEG microwaves with no issues. My husband has bought a new one with the grilling feature however every time I use the microwave to heat things up - the condensation that is left in there is not something I’ve ever seen before. It stays wet until the next time I open the door. I don’t think this is normal. Thoughts?

Jules
Jules

Yes, I have had the same problem and just wipe it out each time when it happens. I really don't like it at all. We had an cheap Aldi microwave just whilst we were building and I wish I never got rid of it as it was much better. I also think they just use plastic crappy material to make there products now. They certainly don't make things as they use to.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi bkcel24, thank you for your review. Have you contacted us to discuss this matter? We would love to have an opportunity to assist you. Can you kindly email us with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We will then organise an inpsection of your appliance. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Jules, thanks for your feedback as well - we would also love to have an opportunity to assist you with your problem, can you email us also with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. We await your information. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Rossi Cork

Rossi Corkasked

SA987CX-2

Hi like the two previous customers in the product review my smeg convection microwave doesnt heat up enough on the convection setting and the lower grill. The upper grill and the microwave work well but the lower grill and the convection oven dont heat up enough for cooking although they are both heating up a bit. It has only been used as a microwave for the last couple of months. The oven is approx 3yrs old. All the functions appear to be working fine. I would like to get it repaired but have been told that it would cheaper to buy a convection microwave from KMart As this seems to be a glitch with these ovens I wondered you could help me thanks Rossi

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Rossi, I have already sent you an email in answer to yours. Regards Steve Cullen

gidday!again

gidday!againasked

SA987CX-2

Hi, like AJMelbourne had my convection microwave in storage for 4 months, then installed happily for 3.4 years. Lovely product, looks great, w matching oven etc. Very happy with it. Only had couple of minor issues which were fixed quickly. Now my convection element doesnt come on at all, wondering if I can replace that element myself as I fear the service call will b expensive. Shame it's having so many issues for a relatively young machine.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Gidday!again. Thank you for your enquiry. Can you kindly email us direct with your full name, address and contact telephone number along with a copy of this review. We will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Our email is: service@smeg.com.au - Kind Regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA

AJ Melbourne

AJ Melbourneasked

SA987CX-2

I had this lovely Smeg appliance in storage for 6 months ready for our renovation. It's been working for 3.5years and stopped heating 2 days ago. I have spent 2 days calling numerous appliance repair shops, Smeg and shops about what to purchase next failing a repair. I was told that the repairs would be about $506 total (needs a new "megatron"!!) so despair that it's essentially not worth the huge cost to repair. Very disappointed. Any ideas on this? It's frustrating as I was told by a salesman, who's been selling Smeg appliances for years, they should last many more years. It's a fabulous appliance and been brilliant to date. It's been 100% reliable, looks great, was part of our kitchen design so fits perfectly in our kitchen matching the 90cm oven and rangehood. A very expensive item for a short lifespan. Help? Many thanks.

Steve C.Smeg

Dear AJ, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Diane S

Diane Sasked

SA987CX-2

We follow the directions to cook as convection but it won’t allow us to set the oven higher than the 100 deg that it starts at. Any suggestions?

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Diane S keep pressing the convection button and the temperature should go up.
Regards Smeg tech support

carol

carolasked

SA987CX-2

My microwave will not cook pappadum is there a problem with the unit?

Hi Carol,

We suggest placing the poppadoms on a plate when cooking them, otherwise they wont cook.

Thanks,
Smeg Tech Support.

Chris A.

Chris A.asked

SA987CX-2

Hi, I want to know how to set this microwave to just heat up food? The microwave light and turntable still works but the food does not get warm.Please let me know the steps and buttons to do this setting.Thank you.

Daniel Francis
Daniel Francis

Hi Chris,
I had this exact issue, which I believe is quite common. As I said in my review it needs to be taken to the service centre for Smeg and if it is still under warranty they will replace the damaged part. It's not something you're able to fix yourself

Hi Chris,
It sounds like an issue with the magnetron.

Please contact Smeg Service on 02 8667 4833 and they can assist.

Regards,
Smeg Tech Support.

PKsAccount

PKsAccountasked

SA987CX-2

Can i get a replacement turntable? A large section of the black enamel has lifted and looks like it has been replaced with rust.

Smeg

Hi PK yes you can get a replacement turntable please call Smeg spare parts on 02 8667 4875.

Kathy

Kathyasked

SA987CX-2

i have the same problem when i cook a frozen dinner the oven fills with condensation and we have to wipe it out,
are we doing some thing wrong ?

Smeg

Hi Kathy you could try lowering the power level and increasing the time this should lower the amount of steam, it is normal to have steam inside the oven when cooking frozen food.

Jason Reinertsen

Jason Reinertsenasked

SA987CX-2

My lights have blown on this unit, what bulbs do i need to get?

Smeg

Hi Jason the SA987CX has two 110volt 20watt globes in series, the SA987CX-2 has one 12 volt 40 watt globe.

nodoasked

SA987CX-2

We have a Smeg convection SA 987CX-2 and it has a top and bottom grill. The top grill works fine but the bottom grill does not brown toast. is this a common problem with this microwave?

Smeg

Hi Nodo they call the bottom one a grill but it's not it is a lower heating element for oven cooking.

nodo

Hi Chris, The owners manual on page 15 gives no indication that the bottom grill does not grill. It actually says "the upper and lower grill can be operated independently"??? Surely this indicates that the lower grill would grill? I have previously had 2 of these ovens which were left in the houses we sold and I am sure the lower grill did brown toast and crumpets? I know the new model has changed with the current one not having a clock so wonder if the lower grill has changed too?
If this is the case the wording of "lower grill" is misleading?

Cuzina01asked

Hello
If food splatters when you do a roast, can the fat get into the holes on back microwave?
If fat goes on element how do you clean it?

Smeg

Hi Cuzina01 if fat goes onto the element it will burn off next time you use the oven just let it burn off.

Hello Chris
We tried the auto cook function on roast potatoes 400gms which came up with the time to cook off about 17 minutes, at the end of 17 minutes they were still rock hard. I wouldn't consider them roast pizza potatoes are we doing something wrong?

Hello Chris.
So we roasted the potatoes again as per above procedure and they were just cooked. At additional approximate time of 17 minutes.
On auto cook?

Chris

Chrisasked

SA987CX-2

I have a just purchased a smeg sa987cx-2 microwave. The owners manual on the from cover states, do not remove the splatter shield inside the oven cavity. Question, where is this splatter shield? I have noted a hard cardboard cover inside the microwave on the right hand side. Is this the splatter guard or should I remove this?

Gary
Gary

Yes, you are correct the splatter shield remains there. Do not remove.this is important.
It feels like cardboard but in fact it is not cardboard.
It is designed to protect the microwave element from food splatters.
If in the future you find food splatters on the shield, simply wipe with a damp cloth with light detergent.

Happy mircowaving.

Sandra Robinson

Sandra Robinsonasked

SA987CX-2

I just purchased a smeg convention microwave, SA987CX-2 but I cannot find how to set the clock. This is extremely important to us as its the only clock downstairs. Does anyone know where it is on the microwave?

Veritas
Veritas

If the model is the same as ours we simply pressed the clock button (top row, third button from left), choose either the 12 or 24 hour function and then proceed to set the current time. Having said that our machine is 4 or 5 years old and yours I assume is the newer model so it may be different.

Other options are to read the manual or to do a simple google search.

Hope this helps.

Hello Sandra,
The new model SA987CX-2 does not have a clock. It only now comes with a kitchen timer.

FranMasked

SA987CX-2

Our SA987CX-2 cools down (fan running etc.) every time we use the microwave as a microwave only. Seems odd - is this normal?

Brian Haselum

Not usually I use microwave and the fan at the back of the oven is for convection spreading the heat around the oven. i would contact Steve Cullen at Smeg and ask him he seems a decent sort of a chap, he is sending me my third Smeg Microwave/Convection oven !!! hope this one operates as it is supposed to do.

FranM

Thank you. Gosh, I think I should have investigated further before our purchase. Ours is one week old - the first arrived damaged and the supplier sent a replacement. Oddly, the box was not damaged, suggesting it had been packed in a damaged state.

Marie

Confirming Brian's response. Cool down after microwave not normal for me. Hope you are on the way to a SMEG that works properly.

FranMasked

SA987CX-2

We have just received our replacement SA9852CX and I would like to roast some lamb in it. I was surprised that no cookbook came with the unit - is there a website where I can get this information?

Brian Haselum

Hi did you get the Owners Manual,?? I cook on auto cook I did a chook on Auto and it came out well, Press Auto Cook key once put in the weight of your lamb put it on a low rack and push the button. For a cook book i would contact Smeg (Steve Cullen) steve.cullen@smeg.com.au and ask no tell him to send you one.

Thank you - will do!

Marie

The SMEG website has a few recipes (under their Cooking toolbar tab) includes roast beef. For roasting I use my SMEG microwave/convestion oven on 'temperature', just as I use a normal convection oven.

msisabella10

msisabella10asked

SA987CX-2

We have just purchased a smeg microwave convection/grill oven SA987CX2. I have never used one before. The owners manual doesn't cover things I need to know such as: (1) If I want to grill lamb chops or a few sausages which metal rack do I use - high or low? and; do I use top element, bottom element or both and for how long?

Big Nana
Big Nana

Good Afternoon....... I use the high rack and top element........ But keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn just as you would in a conventional oven...

See all Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2 questions

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives