Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

49 questions from our users

bkcel24

bkcel24asked

SA987CX-2

We have always had SMEG microwaves with no issues. My husband has bought a new one with the grilling feature however every time I use the microwave to heat things up - the condensation that is left in there is not something I’ve ever seen before. It stays wet until the next time I open the door. I don’t think this is normal. Thoughts?

Jules
Jules

Yes, I have had the same problem and just wipe it out each time when it happens. I really don't like it at all. We had an cheap Aldi microwave just whilst we were building and I wish I never got rid of it as it was much better. I also think they just use plastic crappy material to make there products now. They certainly don't make things as they use to.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi bkcel24, thank you for your review. Have you contacted us to discuss this matter? We would love to have an opportunity to assist you. Can you kindly email us with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We will then organise an inpsection of your appliance. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Jules, thanks for your feedback as well - we would also love to have an opportunity to assist you with your problem, can you email us also with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley. We await your information. Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

A.B.asked

We have had our SA987CX for 5 years without any issues, all of a sudden the start button when pushed will not work at all. All other buttons seem to work but without the start button the microwave is useless.

Steve C.Smeg

Dear A.B., I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the back of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

A.B.

Thank you, appreciate your help. Will do now.

A.B.

Hi, have to say that I couldn't be more impressed with the service we have received from Smeg since posting on this site. Our microwave has been replaced as the computer causing the issue is not available as a spare part. Strongly recommend purchasing Smeg appliances, this example of their customer services will be remembered long after the inconvenience of the fault has been forgotton. Thank you Smeg.

Rossi Cork

Rossi Corkasked

SA987CX-2

Hi like the two previous customers in the product review my smeg convection microwave doesnt heat up enough on the convection setting and the lower grill. The upper grill and the microwave work well but the lower grill and the convection oven dont heat up enough for cooking although they are both heating up a bit. It has only been used as a microwave for the last couple of months. The oven is approx 3yrs old. All the functions appear to be working fine. I would like to get it repaired but have been told that it would cheaper to buy a convection microwave from KMart As this seems to be a glitch with these ovens I wondered you could help me thanks Rossi

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Rossi, I have already sent you an email in answer to yours. Regards Steve Cullen

Rory

Roryasked

How do you change the oven light?

Rory

Gary J

Gary Jasked

SA987CX

i own a smeg sa987cx and one of the two bulbs have blown. does the unit need both bulbs to be working for the unit to have light?
I have also ordered two 120v 20 watt bulbs through a wholesaler, can i use these?

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Gary. Thanks for your email. Yes, you will need both globes to be working. You can contact us direct at: spareparts@smeg.com.au and we can supply you with the correct globes. regards Lesley

Maxine S.

Maxine S.asked

Changing a light bulb

gidday!again

gidday!againasked

SA987CX-2

Hi, like AJMelbourne had my convection microwave in storage for 4 months, then installed happily for 3.4 years. Lovely product, looks great, w matching oven etc. Very happy with it. Only had couple of minor issues which were fixed quickly. Now my convection element doesnt come on at all, wondering if I can replace that element myself as I fear the service call will b expensive. Shame it's having so many issues for a relatively young machine.

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Gidday!again. Thank you for your enquiry. Can you kindly email us direct with your full name, address and contact telephone number along with a copy of this review. We will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Our email is: service@smeg.com.au - Kind Regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA

AJ Melbourne

AJ Melbourneasked

SA987CX-2

I had this lovely Smeg appliance in storage for 6 months ready for our renovation. It's been working for 3.5years and stopped heating 2 days ago. I have spent 2 days calling numerous appliance repair shops, Smeg and shops about what to purchase next failing a repair. I was told that the repairs would be about $506 total (needs a new "megatron"!!) so despair that it's essentially not worth the huge cost to repair. Very disappointed. Any ideas on this? It's frustrating as I was told by a salesman, who's been selling Smeg appliances for years, they should last many more years. It's a fabulous appliance and been brilliant to date. It's been 100% reliable, looks great, was part of our kitchen design so fits perfectly in our kitchen matching the 90cm oven and rangehood. A very expensive item for a short lifespan. Help? Many thanks.

Steve C.Smeg

Dear AJ, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Debasked

Hi
My microwave is 4.5 years old and the knob doesn’t work any more. It will only do 60 min or 10 seconds cooking times. When I press the multi,convection or grill button, it doesn’t let me go any further with the programming. when you are paying $890 for a microwave you expect it to last a bit longer. Can it be fixed?

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Deb, Thank you for your enquiry. Have you contacted us direct to discuss this matter? My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. Can you please email me direct - steve.cullen@smeg.com.au and include your full name, address and a contact telephone number. Please also advise the date and place of purchase, I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve.

I had a very quick response from the Smeg official Steve Cullen
He put me through to the smeg service people and they arranged to get my microwave fixed the next day
I couldn’t be happier with the Smeg customer service especially when my microwave was 4.5 years old

Jae

Jaeasked

SA987CX

Hi, I have a SA987CX, just out of the box today (been waiting for my new kitchen).
I’ve only ever had a normal microwave before, so this is all new to me.
First question - how do I cook a frozen pizza in it??

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Jae defrost the pizza with the micro wave function then use the convection to heat up the pizza, use the instruction for cooking on the pizza box to set the temperatures.
Regards Smeg tech support

Diane S

Diane Sasked

SA987CX-2

We follow the directions to cook as convection but it won’t allow us to set the oven higher than the 100 deg that it starts at. Any suggestions?

Steve C.Smeg

Hi Diane S keep pressing the convection button and the temperature should go up.
Regards Smeg tech support

Bunda

Bundaasked

How to reheat?

Hi Bunda,
To reheat, place the food in the microwave and select the microwave function. Next turn the knob to adjust the time, then press the start button.

Allanah D

Allanah Dasked

Hi, Our Smeg Microwave SCA45MC2 has started changing settings during cooking. We use the microwave only function (first setting) only usually but after a time, it switches to grill or oven or a different setting? Any ideas?

Hi Allanah D,
It sounds like there could be an issue with the control panel.
We suggest contact our Service Department on 02 8667 4833 to arrange a service.

carol

carolasked

SA987CX-2

My microwave will not cook pappadum is there a problem with the unit?

Hi Carol,

We suggest placing the poppadoms on a plate when cooking them, otherwise they wont cook.

Thanks,

Chris A.

Chris A.asked

SA987CX-2

Hi, I want to know how to set this microwave to just heat up food? The microwave light and turntable still works but the food does not get warm.Please let me know the steps and buttons to do this setting.Thank you.

Hi Chris,
I had this exact issue, which I believe is quite common. As I said in my review it needs to be taken to the service centre for Smeg and if it is still under warranty they will replace the damaged part. It's not something you're able to fix yourself

Hi Chris,
It sounds like an issue with the magnetron.

Please contact Smeg Service on 02 8667 4833 and they can assist.

Chris Hough

Chris Houghasked

SA987CX

What do i do about an error 2 message that is displying on my oven please it said in the book to call techical services but theres no number to call anywhere in the book?

Rodney M.Smeg

Please call our service department on 02 86674833
Regards

Daniel Francis

Hi Chris, I'm in Melbourne and they have an agent who does all their servicing. Depending on where your located these are their contact numbers.
NSW - 02 8667 4833 service@smeg.com.au
ACT - Capital Appliance Service 0409 618 919

Liz w

Liz wasked

SA987CX

Hi my microwave SA987cx has decided not to heat, what took 20seconds to heat babies bottle, now takes a minute & a half. I love this microwave and am devastated, any idea what the prob could be or how to fix?

Howard
Howard

How you altered the power setting ?? It goes from p00 to p 90 then p hi. I think p hi is the hottest setting.

Smeg

Hi Liz it may be sparking on the inside of the oven , check the wheels on the turn tray they may be need to be cleaned because this will cause sparking, also the wave guide cover, that's the square piece of cardboard on the R/H inside of the oven, it may need to be cleaned or replaced. If these are ok please call Smeg service on 02 8667 4833 and arrange for a service.

PKsAccount

PKsAccountasked

SA987CX-2

Can i get a replacement turntable? A large section of the black enamel has lifted and looks like it has been replaced with rust.

Smeg

Hi PK yes you can get a replacement turntable please call Smeg spare parts on 02 8667 4875.

Kathy

Kathyasked

SA987CX-2

i have the same problem when i cook a frozen dinner the oven fills with condensation and we have to wipe it out,
are we doing some thing wrong ?

Smeg

Hi Kathy you could try lowering the power level and increasing the time this should lower the amount of steam, it is normal to have steam inside the oven when cooking frozen food.

Jason Reinertsen

Jason Reinertsenasked

SA987CX-2

My lights have blown on this unit, what bulbs do i need to get?

Smeg

Hi Jason the SA987CX has two 110volt 20watt globes in series, the SA987CX-2 has one 12 volt 40 watt globe.
Regards Chris

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives