Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2

Smeg SA987CX / SA987CX-2 (page 2 of 5)

SA987CX and SA987CX-2

Dreadful Microwave - but Good Customer Service

This model is the only one that fits the space in my cabinetry, this is my third model and the door has come apart. I purchased from Harvey Norman and added the extra warranty - what could go wrong, premium product with warranty from a premium store. i had the complete runaround from the Product care people who said that cosmetic details were not covered - the door had come apart, hardly cosmetic, they suggested I call the repairers who would be able to tell me if it was covered or not. The repairers were extremely polite and helpful but confirmed what I thought, they could not repair without permission from Product care.

I came on to this website in desperation and noted that [name removed] seemed to be offering help, so I emailed him. Within half an hour he emailed back saying they would repair the unit as goodwill, shortly after the Repairers rang to say that they had ordered the door, called back again to say that the door had arrived and booked it in for today. All now repaired. Thank you Steve.

Still a terrible product but Smeg have redeemed themselves with such good customer service.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Does the job

It does what it is meant to. Previous to this oven I had an expensive top line m/w steam oven from another manufacture that failed after 13 months (Seperate review) I purchased this and it was the cheapest with the convection feature. Has all the bells and whistles that we require.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Keeps going wrong

Bought Smeg thinking I was clever getting a 2 year warranty and a top quality product. Something blew within a week and Smeg came out and replaced the whole unit (smoke otu teh back!!). The 2 months later the magnetron blew - again smeg came out and replaced the part. Now the turntable is so noisy the food is cooked by noise power alone. Ive never even heard of a microwave having problems before - next time I'll buy a cheap one.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Happy with service

We had a similar problem with our 3 year old Smeg failing, read these reviews contacted the National Service Manager, Steve who promptly responded and arranged a goodwill service call to repair our microwave. The serviceman was in touch with us promptly too and out to repair within 2 working days. Turned out to be an easy fix - a blown fuse and we are back cooking again. Can't complain.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

No clock

This convection microwave does not have a built-in clock. I purposely purchased an oven without a clock (slightly less expensive than with clock), because one on the microwave would be sufficient. Who could believe, or think to ask, if the clock is a feature of the product? I thought they were standard. What a nuisance to now have to mount a clock on the wall to have handy during cooking. With limited few models on display for demonstration, too late after delivery to find out the deficiency of the one I chose.

My rating is only because it is required for this review. I have used the appliance just once, so cannot at this time properly judge it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Microwave function failed after just 4 years

So we thought by splurging on a fancy, expensive Smeg microwave we would have an appliance that will outlast most other known named brands. I think the brand 'Smeg' itself costs $300 and the actual appliance is something comparable to a discount store entry level microwave. How can an upmarket brand like Smeg manufacture a microwave that can't even last 4 years?! What happened to expensive brand = quality, Smeg?

The microwave function failed just out of the blue. I was heating some leftovers for dinner and it worked fine. Took out that dish and put in another then suddenly the it failed to reheat, even after trying several times up to 4 mins per cycle. Thought it's a temporary thing so the next day I unplugged the power cord, plug it back and tried again. Still not heating up my food. The grill function seems to still be working.

Very disappointed with this product now as I've heard the cost to repair this is worth a brand new microwave. Plus I'll have to haul this heavy paperweight to a service centre 30kms away and have to wait days, maybe weeks before I can have some decent microwaved leftovers again.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Dear EdZ, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and contact numbers. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Disappointed with poor product

We bought our microwave oven as a back-up to cook smaller cakes, quiches, etc also to heat food.
The convention has not functioned for some time so the purchase was pointless.
This was not a cheap oven and we are disappointed, to say the least.
Previous comments in reviews indicate its not feasible to repair as its cost comparable to the purchase of a new oven. So lugging the oven to the repair shop 30kms away is not an option.
We would like a technician to fix it or a refund on a faulty product, please.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Dear Jan, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Regretting my purchase!

I purchased this product as it seemed to be good value for the features and looks. Unfortunately I have had multiple issues with it in my time of owning it. It is now borderline unusable as it no longer rotates while it is cooking so you have to manually open the door (with gloves on) and rotate the tray every few minutes (unless you like burnt on one side and undercooked on the other) I've tried multiple methods of repairing it but it's starting to look like it's more trouble than it's worth. It's a pity as smeg could have been on a winner here.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Dear David, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThanks for your quick reply Steve, I have just sent you an email fingers crossed we can sort something out.Just wanted to update my review. It appears my original SA987CX was a lemon. Fortunately with the help of Steve and the Smeg service team we were able to find a solution and I am now back to using the convection function without any issues. I can't fault the after sales service I received thanks Steve (and Smeg service team)

Appallingly Awful Product But Worse C/S

Even the salesman at Harvey Norman tried to talk us out of this microwave. Should have listened. It drowns itself in excessive condensation which resulted in regularly blowing our house fuses. Apparently normal according to Smeg. When it finally blew itself up a month before warranty end (best part of the product) it took 3 service call outs and 5 months before a decision was made to replace it because the techie couldn't be bothered coming up here again. 2 months later, no kidding, no microwave and no apology from Smeg, we finally get the call that our replacement is coming today - hooray! EXCEPT the aggressive delivery dude can't be stuffed opening our front gate, leaving a phone message or using a security intercom RIGHT beside the gate on the gate post and hung up on me when I rang back 14 mins after his initial call. The Smeg Customer Service rep [name removed] who I spoke to was completely unconcerned that a company representative was aggressive, demeaning, dismissive and dishonest but did promise to relay my complaint to her superior [name removed]. Plus I would receive my microwave tomorrow. No matter or apology that I had taken the morning off to be at home or can't be here tomorrow. I haven't received a delivery confirmation yet by phone or email yet either. Nothing about this experience has been remotely professional. Kind of hoping that my replacement either doesn't get delivered as promised or doesn't work so I can take these jokers to Dept of Fair Trading. My Mums 10 year old Whirlpool microwave has been a fantastic replacement. And my husband just happens to have a kitchen manufacturing business. So all clients will be advised against Smeg, all tradespeople and builders will be informed plus we live in an area where everyone knows everyone else so boy, will we be talking. If you thought this product was bad, just wait till you experience the customer back up!!!!!

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Dear Hip Hop, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ensure that these matters are fixed. Regards, Steve Cullen

And the appalling nature of this product goes on and on ...

The existing SMEG microwave of the same model and around 5 years old fails for no apparent reason much the same as others on this review forum. It's built into the kitchen with stainless steel facia plate, etc. Do I heed the warning on this thread and buy something else or do I take the easy way out and buy another - one that is compatible with the joinery and the stainless facia plate?

Foolishly, I purchased another Smeg same model - and to compound matters I buy online.

Out of the box it took 45 minutes to remove the intricately applied blue plastic film - an agonizing process with lots of mutterings and some of the blue plastic film is still stuck forever in the stainless steel crevices.

Not to worry lets get on with things - we maneuver the new one into the built in joinery and plug in - display comes on - but it won't microwave at all and no other function works either.

Ring Smeg Brisbane - took 5 people to tell me that it needs a service person to come out - broken out of the box!

Now the retailer won't even take it back without a 20% restocking fee - a separate problem to deal with.

The morale of the story to the readers out there - avoid these SMEG products as though they are the plague.

You have been warned.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Dear Conned again, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThanks for your help Steve ... good recovery from smeg ... techs were a pleasure to deal with.

Damm light

After all the pain to get a replacement globe and getting no support from the national service manager, and advice to some about the vibration noise, the new globe has blown, God hates us.
I have to say this smeg is a lemon, as is smeg.
Or does God understand what I cook in this oven needs to be done in the dark?
Maybe we'll go back to the sharp.
I'm done.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Noisy microwave ever owned

I thought buying SMEG microwave would be quality unit , and Also purchased two SMEG ovens at same time but the microwave is so noisy after hearing same issues in the reviews we taking it back for refund to Harvey Norman, obviously this should be recalled , hopefully ovens will be ok fingers crossed otherwise we changing brands . Craig

So noisy I'm scared to use it.

So noisy I'm scared to use it. I bought it in Sept 2014 in Brisbane Qld. It makes so much noise it sounds like it's going to blow up. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm quiet concerned about it!! I'm hoping for some help as it is a worry.

Smeg came and fixed my microwave and it is going like a dream now.

Very disappointed in SMEG microwave

Just out of warranty and the top griller heating element ceased working. Have had other issues with excessive 'cooling' times as well. The microwave is not very powerful and takes a lot longer to heat food than the ones at work, even though it is meant to be just as powerful.

Dear Flynn, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenHi Steve. I am now disappointed in SMEG's National Service Manager as well as my SMEG microwave. After commenting on my post, you have ceased your assistance.

Nothing but problems

Bought this product and nothing but problems. Light and turntable worked sporadically. Had it "fixed" but continued. Last straw, put 2 bread rolls in for 10 seconds, came back to find smoke pouring out of the oven. Had to smother with a fire blanket. Product was just out of warranty, but called smeg as there was obviously a fault, but not interested. Could have burnt the whole house down!

Dear Heather, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenI would like to say that Smeg were very helpful after this review! They have since replaced the convection oven at no cost, and to date we have had no further issues with the product.

A little concerned

Bought the SMEG in Melbourne from Harvey Norman. Have only used the convention oven once. Mostly used for heating. A few weeks ago the turntable started making some strange noises. Tonight, we cooked something on MW for 10 minutes and it said it need to cool down. It was cooling down for over an hour and the microwave was getting hotter and hotter. NO error message appeared or an overheating message. I turned it off at the wall and took the plug out. Will call Harvey Norman tomorrow but am concerned now that I have read these reviews and discovered this model has been discontinued.

Dear Cherie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Turntable problems.

Bought this oven believing that "SMEG" meant "years of good use" which I had from other SMEG gear which is excellent. This unit is only good for warming up small or light meals, something like defrosting a few bread rolls is fine. As soon as you put something in to cook of around 1 kg (including container) the turntable drive fails. This is the small white Teflon part that protrudes through the floor of the oven and located on the motor. This oven has heating which cannot be used as the heat causes the same Teflon part to strip and table stops rotating. Perhaps this failure of turntable rotation is what causes the smoke / fire for some users? Complained once and they sent me two new Teflon drive parts - same inadequate material and design. Extremely disappointed - not good enough for a reputable brand that I had previously favoured over Miele.

Dear Eric, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenOngoing problems with this oven when heating elements are used,particularly the lower element. Little plastic wheels that turntable sits on are a problem. One of them goes oval when using the lower heating element because the plastic gets soft as it starts to melt. This stops the turntable from turning freely causing the drive to strip as described in my first post. I've fixed this now by removing the crappy plastic wheels and pins on which they are mounted. 3 M5 countersunk screws with washers and nuts and 3 ball bearings size 626zz used to replace the inadequate original arrangement leave the turntable turning freely on the ball bearings even with bottom element on. Cost less than $30 and about an hour to get it right. Cooked a chicken using only the heating elements and all good with the new ball bearings which can take the heat unlike original little plastic wheels that are not fit for purpose. SMEG need to get their act together, fancy putting plastic wheels in an oven with electric heating elements! Insulation not too good unfortunately and I won't be pulling it apart to fix that. Overall disappointed but at least it works now. Update 5 April 2018: Oven in regular use now with electric elements and/or microwave providing the heating. Large heavy loads turning fine on the turntable with ball bearing modification. Display is not too good, difficult to see which mode of cooking is selected unless it's dark.

Smeg Microwave is rubbish

I purchased my first Smeg microwave in December 2014. I have had nothing but problems with it. The noise is the worst thing. It overheats, produces so much moisture it is ridiculous. I took it back to the place of purchase and it was repaired, when I got it back it was worse. Sounded like a helicopter. Then I got it replaced. The replacement had a fault which has been fixed and now this one so noisy I can't use it.

I have taken this 2nd microwave back to the good guys and they have given me a store credit. I would like to say that they have always been very helpful in trying to fix my problem with the Smeg Microwaves. Just don't buy one if you want quality.

Crap unit

Straight out of the box, rollers don't work properly, turntable only turns sometimes as the rollers don't fit the turntable properly. There is no solution by the looks of it, this is a real lemon, don't know why Smeg doesn't just recall this piece of rubbish. Their reputation just keeps going down the sink hole and they don't care. Thanks for the rubbish Smeg.

Dear Jimbo 0811, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThank you Steve, your people have been in touch and they are due to come and replace this unit this Thursday 21st April..Ill let you know how it goes, thank you.Well Smeg delivered a new cx-2 model to my house and took the old one away. The new unit functions 100% as advertised and there are no issues with it ...thanks Smeg ..

Waste of Money

What a waste of money this microwave was. I bought it thinking I was buying quality. It recently started only working when it wants to. Put something in it to cook - no light - no turning - just burnt food on one side. Light works when I open the door though so it's not a bulb problem. This morning the clock decided the time was 38:33. Going to make a complaint to Smeg, so I'll update here what their customer service is like. Will be a good tester because I am considering all Smeg appliances for a new house build I'm doing. Their action/response will definitely help me decide.

Dear Amanda, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

We have always had SMEG microwaves with no issues. My husband has bought a new one with the grilling feature however every time I use the microwave to heat things up - the condensation that is left in there is not something I’ve ever seen before. It stays wet until the next time I open the door. I don’t think this is normal. Thoughts?

We have had our SA987CX for 5 years without any issues, all of a sudden the start button when pushed will not work at all. All other buttons seem to work but without the start button the microwave is useless.
Dear A.B., I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the back of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThank you, appreciate your help. Will do now.Hi, have to say that I couldn't be more impressed with the service we have received from Smeg since posting on this site. Our microwave has been replaced as the computer causing the issue is not available as a spare part. Strongly recommend purchasing Smeg appliances, this example of their customer services will be remembered long after the inconvenience of the fault has been forgotton. Thank you Smeg.

Hi like the two previous customers in the product review my smeg convection microwave doesnt heat up enough on the convection setting and the lower grill. The upper grill and the microwave work well but the lower grill and the convection oven dont heat up enough for cooking although they are both heating up a bit. It has only been used as a microwave for the last couple of months. The oven is approx 3yrs old. All the functions appear to be working fine. I would like to get it repaired but have been told that it would cheaper to buy a convection microwave from KMart As this seems to be a glitch with these ovens I wondered you could help me thanks Rossi
Dear Rossi, I have already sent you an email in answer to yours. Regards Steve Cullen

Smeg SA987CXSmeg SA987CX-2