Solar Service Group

Solar Service Group

Bad

Don't fall for subsidized field trial.

Unsolicited letters sent to houses with solar panels (seen via satellite) inform you that you are the lucky few selected for a half-price field trial. You are to register your interest in finding out more details by giving your contact details on a website which looks genuine enough. But the website has little genuine information on prices, products, history and so on.

Next thing a sale person rings you up to tell you (what you already know) that the electricity grid is ripping you off, buying your solar electricity for peanuts during the day and then charging you several times what they pay you when you use their electricity at night, after sun goes down. Wow, batteries are the answer.

Then they offer you a system at "half price" in exchange for collecting and monitoring your usage for three years, including premium servicing. Sounds a good deal? Of course they tell you over the phone some details about Enphase battery in the deal, the monitoring electronics, the weather-proof casing etc. Even though I'm a trained physicist, I could not work out the details of how it works over the phone and assumed the deal may be just reasonable, worth seeing some details..

You have to put down about 20 percent deposit to be guaranteed a spot in the trial, which is in hot demand - hurry! They will send you all technical details and the contract once you are in the trial. Well the fantastic deal costs about $4,200 consisting of one 1.2Kwh (kilo watt hour) battery and monitoring electronics. Apart from the "premium servicing", the deal is no deal at all, the Enphase 1.2 kwh battery costs about $2,000 and it is totally inadequate. After installation, you would have to buy several more of those batteries at substantial cost (presumably from them).

The 1.2kwh lithium-ion battery has about 260 watt power enough to power two 100 watt and one 60 watt light bulb - cannot power anything serious, like a 2 kilo watt oven. There is enough stored electricity to power a 100 watt light bulb for 12 hours - pitiful amount of energy. My solar panels collect energy at an average of around 3.5kw and collects about 25kwh on a sunny winter's day. This battery stores less than 5 percent of that! How is that going to save me money?

At 260 watts of power, it takes about 5 hours of sunshine to fully charge the 1.2kwh battery. This means you can charge and discharge the battery only once a day. Assuming you discharge your battery at peak period, when electricity is most expensive (at night) and in Sydney, it is currently 27 cents per kwh, then you would save 32.4 cents per day! You would be saving at most $10 per month or $120 per year with perfect sunshine everyday!

The Enphase battery has a 10-year warranty giving you at most a saving $1,200 before it dies. Spending $4,200 for a benefit of $1,200 saving, you've got to be a moron? Solar Service Group (SSG) is looking for morons. Initially I withdrew this review after SSG gave my deposit money back, on the basis that it is impossible to agree to a contract without seeing all the details. My conscience has got the better of me - I need to help others.

Hi Lyonwiss The Solar Service Group Field Trial is a legitimate offer made by the Solar Services Group. The purpose of this exercise is to collect energy data from the participants to demonstrate the effectiveness of solar battery technology, as well as demonstrate the potential reduction of home energy costs to the broader market. In turn for collecting this data from the participants, Solar Service Group are providing the participants with a discount on SSG’s standard cost of batteries and installation. Regarding your calculations, we are unsure as to how you came to these numbers, as they are incorrect. On average, based on individual ideal scenarios, our customers are saving $1.50 - $2.00 per day (making it $45-$60 per month / $540 - $720 per year). We would be more than happy to put you in touch with our Business Analyst and he can run a ROI on your specific household and talk you through the numbers. The information you are stating about Enphase is also incorrect. A 1.2kW battery can charge and discharge up to 2 times a day and it can also charge from the grid in off peak times, saving you from having to use grid power at peak rates. Rate of charge is also dependant on your rate of generation and consumption within your household. If you would like further information on this battery and the Field Trial, we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Please call us on 1300 40 41 42 to discuss this further. Kind regards Megan Solar Service GroupI'm technically qualified. It makes no sense to claim two cycles per day. Do the maths. At near peak power (<260w), it takes about five hours to charge the 1.2 kwh battery (assuming full capacity, degrading over time). You are not discharging your battery while the sun is shining as energy is directly available from your panels. If the sun is not shining, then you are not even charging your battery. Your business analyst is misleading customers, who will discover little saving. You obviously will save more if electricity is expensive. You have to state your assumption about the rate. You will save at most 1,2kwh per day. if you use an inflated rate of $1 per kwh, then you save $1.20 per day and so on. Current rate in Sydney is 29 cents per kwh. I don't need to speak to technically incompetent, high-pressured sales people. You only need to check out the technical specifications on the product to calculate the maximum benefit. By the way, the five-star "excellent" reviews on SSG cannot be genuine, because they are short and uninformative first reviews of a bunch of new reviewers, all around the same time.Please see the response from Enphase in regard to your statement. "Thank you for your feedback. The Enphase Home Energy Solution is for homeowners who want to optimise their energy and maximise their savings. The AC Battery is warrantied for up to 2 cycles per day. It charges and discharges dynamically during the day depending on conditions, maximising its benefits for the homeowner. The Enphase AC Battery does not operate on a linear charge/discharge cycle as suggested - couple this with capacity to charge from the grid in off peak times and this is how you can achieve more than 1 cycle per day, enabling to benefit from time of use and load shifting. The Home Energy Solution is a modular system and scaled to fit the needs of a given household. However, it depends on individual circumstances and may not meet the needs of every home. We cannot speak for any particular offers. However, we are interested in learning more about the consumption patterns of your particular home. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can see where we can help you." https://enphase.com/en-au/company/contact-us

As far as I can tell, not a real field trial-wish I'd read reviews before signing up

We got sucked into getting one of these batteries installed for a so called "field trial". I always wondered how they targeted us, but thanks to another reviewer (lyonwiss) I now understand how they got our address.
I started to get suspicious when, after filling out the form, we were contacted almost immediately to be part of the trial. And they wanted a large deposit (20%) up-front to "process the order". They then organised for the installers to come out and wanted payment in full before that happened. We were also told we would be given information about the trial, but the installers had no idea. I made part payment after the installers left and informed the office, via email that's what I had done. They then emailed back to encourage me to make the total payment by another method.

Apparently you are supposed to download an app and register so you can get the details and readouts from the unit. Bit hard to do that though when Solar Service Group won't send you the relevant info, despite repeated requests
I also asked a number of, what I thought were, relevant questions about the so called field trial - like how many people have signed up, how many are needed for the trial to be relevant and worthwhile, what the actual aim of the trial is and are our personal details kept private or sold on to a third party?

None of these have been answered, I was just directed to the website, which is just PR and answers none of these relevant questions

Now, I have no technical expertise when it comes to these types of units ...but as far as I can tell, this "field trial" appears to have been a way to get people hooked on what they thought was a half price deal...so my advice would be do your homework first.

Hi Lilly Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate that you took the time to write it. I am sorry to hear that you feel our field trial is not legitimate. I can confirm for you that this is not the case. In regard to your comment about being alarmed on the speed in which we contacted you after filling out the registration form, this is because we believe in prompt customer service, therefore we have a policy to make sure all enquiries are attended to as soon as they come in. The app you mention is part of the Enphase product, which allows you at analyse your energy consumption and see your savings. I am sorry to hear you have had issues with h with the set up. If you could please comment below with your order number I can have someone from our technical support department call you and help set this up. Once I have this order number I can also have one of our team members call you to answer any questions you may have about the field trial and its purpose.

Field Trial? Really?

Congratulations reading this review before signing up and avoiding this con just saved you thousands. If however, like me, you've already signed welcome to hours on hold on the phone and ignored emails asking simple questions. If $4k is not a lot of money to you then the pre install and install service is great...read all the 5 star reviews!!!what's not taken into account is life after the installation, its not so good ...really..."we're experiencing a high volume of calls" wears a bit thin after a couple of months. Plus it appears I probably paid twice what I should have to shave a fraction off my power bill:sad but true. I was then offered an extra battery for $2500 to help shave another few bucks off my power bill(what a joke!). My advice is to move on,there's worse things in life than blowing a few grand and the Enlighten ap is fun for us oldies to play with anyway.

September 28th 2017 Update: Got my bill saved $100

I actually have had a power bill since installation unlike the 4 or 5 star reviews and found it saved just under $100 this sunny quarter. $400/year saved means 10 years to break even and that's if there's no hassles and lots of sun.

January 1st 2018 Update: Have not received service promised

No one has checked our solar system despite paying $800 Platinum Service Fee now our whole solar system has stopped working. The 1.2kw battery has not helped save on electricity costs much, if at all. I will change this post if Solar Service Group live up to their name and honour their contract not just flip me another email promise.

Hi Silversurfer, thanks so much for the feedback, and our apologies on the service you have received after install, that's certainly not up to the level we want people to receive. Call you please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au or reply below with your order number and I will personally make sure someone contacts you and sorts out any issues you are having, or answer any questions you may have, immediately.All I wanted was to get the service inspections I was made to pay $800 extra for so that my concerns would have been attended to not just emails telling me technicians will reply(never happened) or that everything appears ok -it wasn’t and now my whole solar system is not working at all.Hi Silversurfer, we have tried numerous times to contact you to remedy this issue however have not received your contact details to follow this up. Please contact us on 1300 40 41 42 with your order reference number so we can action this, or alternatively please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au with your preferred time of contact.

SOLAR SERVICE GROUP

I had an LG system fitted to my place in Sydney. The installation work was very good and the system works very well, but had a lot of trouble getting after sales service. Eventually after a lot of effort, I got the after sales service I needed, but in the end I have a really good Solar System that works very well.

Installation
Warranty Claim MadeNo
Panel Purchased LG
Hi David, thank you for your feedback. I am terribly sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with us. This is not up to our company standard. Could you please private message me your order number so I can follow up on this immediately? Alternatively please email it to hello@solarservicegroup.com.auSolar Service Group came good in the end and resolved the original issue, then also attended recently to resolve an unrelated issue that was not even their doing. A technician attended promptly and fixed the issue, and the original technician attended later to upgrade the system, again a good tidy job. Emails are replied to promptly, and a much better correspondence now, so,much better service of late. Credit where credit is due. I would now quite comfortably recommend this company.Hi David, thank you very much for the review, we're glad that we were able to fix the issue and provide you with a high level of care. If there's anything in the future that you would like to see us improve on, please don't hesitate to contact us and let us know.

Unscrupalous Marketing Campaign

I received a letter from this organisation. The letter was alarming. Stating all sorts of threats and dangers exist with owning solar systems and implying that bad things will ensue if I did not contact them so they could sort it out. I sent the letter to the Office of Fair Trading and to the ACCC. I was advised that such letters are unlawful and should be ignored. They advised that any people who receive similar letters should approach them so that action can be taken.

March 7th 2017 Update: Breached by the ACCC

Well clearly the ACCC disagrees with you. I received a letter from the ACCC that clearly outlined the actions they have taken. The company was breached by the ACCC for deceptive and misleading conduct.

I had a response from the ACCC. The company has been breached under the Competition and Consumer Act.

Do not believe the sales pitch - very disappointed

I did my research, but the sales person promised better service for a higher price. Do not believe them. Ordered and paid a deposit in early November, promised installation by late Nov, but definitely in December. System finally up and running in March. And all along the process there were no responses to weekly calls plus unsatisfactory answers to questions. I would not recommend them to anyone. Very disappointed.

Hi Andrew, we apologise for the service that you have received as this is not up to our standards. Could you please private message or reply with your relevant order reference number so that we can investigate the issue and resolve any issues that have arisen.Hi Andrew, unfortunately without your assistance we will not be able to resolve this issue. If you could please respond with your relevant order number we can investigate this situation and review current procedures.

Should change their name to Solar take-your-money-and-don't-offer-any-services group

I paid my 20% deposit on 19th October and was told that I would be contacted mid November to arrange installation before the end of November. Here we are 29th Jan and still haven't been given an installation date. I have had several calls to date telling me that they are 'working towards' an installation date. After complaining about the length of time it's taking, I've been told that they are "training new technicians" - seriously it's not brain surgery.... how long does this training take???? I've read the other reviews and most people seem happy with their service. I'm not!!!

Hi Julie, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We apologise for the delay that your order is experiencing. If you could please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au with your order reference number and the address of the installation we can follow this us immediately. We can assure you that this is not up to our standards and will be followed up.

Didn't install product correctly

I got a battery installed on the 21 8 2017 and it has not been connected so I am saving on electricity and it is now the 28 9 2017. They good at taking your money but not turning the battery on straight away. There putting the blame onto someone else that connects it to the grid. What a joke one very unhappy customer.

Hi Loza, thanks so much for the feedback, and our apologies on the service you have received,. Call you please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au or reply below with your order number and I will make sure someone contacts you and sorts out any issues you are having immediately.

Still waiting?!?

I couldn't get anyone to contact me by phone or email. I have left messages and emailed them from their online query form but 2 weeks later I'm still waiting. You can take the "Service" out of solar service group.

Hi Marcus We are terribly sorry that you have not had someone contact you. This is not up to our company standard. I have found your enquiry and I have passed it on to a sales consultant to call you asap. Kind regards SSGSince writing this review SSG have contacted me and I have finally got some answers to my questions. It is a shame that some people have to go to this length to get a reply and you are correct, there is no excuse for this kind of service. At least you did actually reply and apologise.

Rip-off! Do not trust this company

Paid $297 call out fee to assess the problem with my solar system. Was promised a diagnostic report. Almost 3 weeks later and I still haven't received the report. The technician took about an hour and did a thorough check, but only diagnosed. Almost 3 weeks later still haven't received the promised report.
It was a waste of $297. Other technicians will come out for free to diagnose and quote for a repair.
Do not waste your money with Solar Service Group, Box Hill. Would give it 0 stars if I could!

Hi, thanks so much for the feedback and I apologise for the experience that you have had as this is not up to our usual standards. Could you please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au or reply below with your order reference number and I will ensure that this was rectified.

Totally unacceptable customer service

I ordered the Tesla battery on the 9th January 2018.
The unit arrived at my house on the 4th April.
The installation arrived on the 4th April. They were not equipped with the right equipment to do the works.
The unit was put on bricks and a car jack was used to raise the unit onto the bracket. This did not work.
I personally had to assist in trying to raise the unit onto the bracket.
The installation team left that day saying they would return the next day.
It is now the 10th April and no one has returned.
The company has not replied to my phone calls which I have done on a daily basics.
I think this is most unprofessional and considering that the unit was not removed from the truck until full payment was made.
I now have a Tesla unit sitting at the side of house paid for, not installed and no idea what is happening.
If I do not receive any communication by the end of business today 10th of April. I will be putting the matter in the hands of my solicitor.

Hi Kermit, we apologise for the unfavorable experience that you have had regarding your solar battery installation. To clarify there were some challenges with your particular installation that were encountered along the way which made up the delay in the final installation. As you had requested that the original recommended location of the solar battery to be changed since our pre-site inspection, a trolley lift was then required to lift the battery to its new location which is why on the 4th of April (date of your installation) your battery had arrived but could not be installed. Considering its weight, it is against OH&S protocols to lift that amount of weight without the aid of a trolley lift. As such, we organised for a trolley lift to be made available as soon as possible to complete your installation. During this time, we have indeed ensured that we have kept you updated on the installation via phone calls with all necessary and relevant information discussed such as needing the trolley lift to complete the final installation. Again, we apologise for the experience that you have received, but are happy that your solar battery is currently being installed at your property. For any further clarification, please don't hesitate to contact our team on 1300 40 41 42 or via email to hello@solarservicegroup.com.au.

the product might be good i dont know the battery system dosent work

several attempts to install system missing components no answers on completion hard to get response still not working no clues still waiting shod of used a Sydney based company

May 5th 2018 Update: Solar battery

Had a solar battery system installed by solar service group who had several attempts and numerous phone calls most not responded to after lodging a complaint to fair trade the system progressed with components missing and so on it was completed the system did not work after more calls and attempts to repair system they decided the management system was not compatible with lg battery they finally replaced it with a power wall two battery which I had a cheaper quote elsewhere and quicker it was installed by there co company sun bright solar who had to come out a second time to fix up there stuff up after lots of phone calls solar services group was fined for breaking some consumer law they still haven’t provided me with two wifi power switches as per quote .I would not use them again. Power wall two great system. I stressing slowly X stressed order number 11963

May 7th 2018 Update: Previous review from stressed

From stressed previous review l wrote co partner sunbright solar to solar services group . It should have read sunbank solar sorry for the mistake .stressed

Hi, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the service that you have received as this is not up to our usual standards. Could you please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au or private message us your order number and we can follow this up immediately.

Poor follow up service

I have placed an order more than 2 months ago, I didnt get any response until I gave them a call, in return, i finally get a confirmation message "Someone will give you a call later

In the end, I am glad that someone from their backoffice step in and assist me with all my enquiries. Happy customer at the end.Hi Jac. Glad we could rectify the situation for you! Again, apologies for the poor service you received. Thanks for bringing this to our attention as we have now reviewed and updated our process to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

Battery Failure

My battery supplied by the Solar Service Group has ceased to recharge each day. Their response was to offer a range of options from adding filters ($500+) to replacing my inverter ($1000+). I am not a happy customer, especially as the initial outlay for the solar battery was expensive. One would have expected that the system which operated for the first few months would have continued well beyond the first year.

Hi Paul, our sincere apologies for your experience as this is not up to our usual standards. Our Technical Resolutions are working very hard to try and resolve the particular issue at your system installation. Thank you for your patience, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@solarservicegroup.com.au.I am looking forward to the resolution of this battery issue. The inverter is working producing good levels of output, so for the battery to stop charging properly after less than a year seems very unusual.Could someone at Solar Service Group please provide me with an update re. getting my solar battery operating.

Regret dealing with this company

Went with this company after receiving an offer for "field trial" on solar batteries and have regretted it. Communication is very poor, no-one is ever available to take your calls and they promise to get back to you and do not do so in a timely manner. Was advised there was a problem with my system and was booked for a service call for which I had to pay a large deposit which in March but I did not get the service call until the end of May even though I phoned them numerous time during that period to enquire when they would be sending someone and was told they would pass my enquiry on to the scheduling department. Three months where I was gaining nothing from my system. The only time they ever seem to contact you is when they are trying to sell you something extra. I have spent thousands with them and the service received is almost non-existent.

Hi Top Cat, thanks for reaching out to us and apologies for the experience that you've had thus far as this is not our regular standard of service. We would really appreciate it if you could private message us your installation details such as customer reference number so that we can investigate the issue and ensure that your solar system is operating at optimum efficiency.

Solar Service Is what i required -----It Does not exist with this company.

Paid 26.9.2017 for Service to my existing Solar system. Its now 15.1.2018 And we are STILL waiting for them to attend. Numerous excuses after my 6 phone calls, Solar Service?? is there name but not there game.

Hi Chris, we are very sorry as this is not up to our usual standards. If you could please private message us or email at hello@solarservicegroup.com.au with your order reference number we can follow this up immediately.

Did not supply nor install solar panels panels contracted for.

This solar Group has completely failed us. Agreed to pay a refund but without any contact, withheld $315.00. This matter is ongoing but us pensioners, we are quite worried.

Hi, thank you for your review and we apologise for the experience that you have had thus far. Unless otherwise discussed or due to our terms and conditions Solar Service Group does not withhold any monies without customers' knowledge. if you could please private message or email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au your order details we can ensure contact to be made today to discuss this.

Promises Promises

I enlisted the services of Solar Sevice Group earlier this year, initially for an assessment of my existing 16 panel system. Upon reading their report and also the suggestion to install Enphase batteries in order to optimise my solar system, I committed to their proposal.
Needless to say, full payment was required by the technician on the day to work was undertaken. The installer was efficient to the best of my knowledge and when he realised that he was missing a component that was to be supplied, he assured me that he would contact Head Office and have the problem resolved promptly.
That was five months ago and still no resolution despite multiple promises from "customer service". All I require is what I have paid for, no more no less.
Do not trust this company and it is off to Fair Trading for me.

Hi Chris I am sorry to hear you've had issues with your installation. Can you please supply me with your order number so I can investigate the situation and have someone call you to have your installation completed asap. Kind regards Customer Support

Poor service

I wouldn't use this company again. I had issues with an installation and which they promised to rectify over a three week period and failed to do so. All talk and no action.

Hi Francis, I apologise for the experience that you have unfortunately had with regards to your installation. Could you please email hello@solarservicegroup.com.au or reply below with your order number so we can ensure that this has been rectified.

Avoid at all cost - terrible customer service

Sales rep on the phone was fantastic knowledgeable as easy. Once they had my deposit it went down hill. Phoned constantly for progress payments even though we agreed on a date for the payments which I honoured. Cancelled the installation the night before. When the installers turned up at the revised appointment they were great, fast, clean and did a good job. After then it took 3 phone calls and 2 weeks before the promised (in 48 hrs after installation) envoy monitoring email and link arrived. From there on the monitoring has been offline more than on. Call to the service line was met with "please send an email", did that and a week later still no response. The system has been in 2 months and I have no idea if its registered and if I'm getting any benefit from the unit. My electricity provider knows nothing of the system. I have waited 8 weeks from when the bad service began to give the company opportunity to prove the service wasn't as bad as it seemed. I now feel compelled to provide this account of my interaction from this company so that hopefully others can avoid the frustration I am having. There's plenty of providers around and from my experience I say avoid Solar Service Group.

Hi Ben, apologies for the level of service that you have received as this is not up to our usual standards. Since you have posted this, we have been able to get in contact with you to discuss the issue. We look forward to speaking with you again tomorrow as scheduled, if anything arises between now and then, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.What a load of rubbish. I’ve spoken to someone from your company at least 3 times since posting and still not resolved. I believe the post above is designed to portray me in bad light.Hi Ben, we apologise that you feel that way as it was not at all intended to portray you in any bad light but respond to your above review. I believe that a Technician attended your property this afternoon to try and resolve the issue and will be reattending your property soon to finally resolve the fault. We appreciate your patience throughout your installation and look forward to having this resolved for you soon enough. Any issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team on 1300 40 41 42.