Sonos Playbar

• Music
Todd H.
Todd H.South East Queensland, QLD

Useless

The product does not work. Sonos has no customer care in Australia. You must call USA. We are returning ours after 2 days of frustration. The app does not work, period. Avoid this product.

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $799.00.

Ragnar
RagnarSydney, NSW

Sound is great, but there's a high price to pay, which has nothing to do with the purchase cost.

I have a player and other SONOS speakers. I enjoy the sound, but SONOS impose totalitarian control via your router. I didn't agree with a terms and conditions change last year, after a few weeks they threatened to reduce the functionality of my system unless I agreed. Who owns this thing anyway?
Sick of endless software updates disrupting the music flow? Sorry you can't opt out. The system is also highly dependent on your wifi connection and computer and router working flawlessly. I bought a Bose bluetooth system as a back up to use when I have a party, as the SONOS system keeps dropping out. Now I use that all the time. At least I know it belongs to me.

Purchased in February 2014.

Other Soundbars

Murray GMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love the sound, but not the way it has to be used.

I have a sound bar, sub woofer and two SONOS one's that I use as surround. It also wakes me up in the morning with either a radio station, music from my phone or a music App. However I find the system so frustrating when for some reason it looses connection to the modem if when everything else is connected. I just wish that I could just play music straight from my phone or iPod, when my internet is not working. Why,why why does everything need to have internet to work. If I knew this was going to be such an issue when I bought it I would have bought a BOSE instead.

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Soundbars

Find out how Sonos Playbar compares to other Soundbars

Jack H
Jack HKentlyn

Good Sound but works off wifi not bluetooth?????

I purchased the sub and sound bar two years ago when bluetooth was well alive. The only way that I can play music is through wifi, so if its a poor signal, the app doesn't work! Constantly doing software updates that don't make a difference. I was excited when it said that the new softwae update would allow me to use apple airplay but of course it didnt work for mine as it was too old. It told me to buy a new bar and then, only then, would i be able to play off apply airplay.

Other than that, amazing sound.

Date PurchasedSept 2016

Frustrating. Never again

Regret buy a Sonos system. Considering going back to old style plug and play. Tired of having to do updates just when I want a quick flick for background music to clean up, do dishes etc. I have to log into the iTunes enter password etc, and wait for the updates. Plus the unreliability of our NBN connection means if no internet, no music. Which happens too often. Also, wanted to be able to stream whatever I am listening to on iPad, whether music or YouTube, whatever and the lack of this has always been disappointing.

Date PurchasedAug 2013
MarkJ
MarkJMelbourne, Victoria

Does not support Apple Airplay 2 - hardware limitation

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Sick of terms and conditions

Why do I need a sonos account to down load the app upgrade.
Every time I switch this machine on I have to down load an upgrade to make it work.
Very frustrating. I just want to listen to my music I shouldn't need an account to do this.
How can i bypass this tiresome process.
Cant even submit a question with out having to sign up to something

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Terrible tech

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Other Soundbars

Jo
JoSydney, NSW

Great sound no aux in

The Sonos sound bar is great in terms of the quality of sound. Also, the improved integration with Spotify is great. I love that we can play music all through the house and connect more wireless speakers. The only thing I don't like is there's no aux in. Sometimes it's just faster to hook up a cable to play music off my phone.

Date PurchasedJune 2016
Soundbars

Find out how Sonos Playbar compares to other Soundbars

Tony
TonyHervey Bay

Sonos Play Bar underwhelming

The Sonos Sound Bar provided an improvement on the speakers in my new Hisense TV but did not really meet expectations in excellent sound quality - especially for the price of $950. Perhaps it would be better had I bought the sub to go with it for another $950 making it a very expensive purchase. With hindsight, it may be better to spend $950 on a sound bar that comes with a sub. On the plus side, the volume on both the sub and the TV can be adjusted together with the TV remote.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
hotkiwi
hotkiwiPerth, WA

Fancy but very disappointing sound

Bought the player for 950 $, as the sound of the Samsung TV speakers itself is very hollow. Turns out the player has exactly the same sound and there is no improvement whatsoever. I like the fact that I can stream my music from my iPhone dire try to the sounder, but am EXTREMELY disappointed with the quality of the soul, which is not any better than the in-built speakers from my TV itself.
When I asked about the fact that this is just a hollow sound speaker system and no surround sound effect at all, was told to get some bass (as there is no bass at all in the sounder) by buying their sub for 950 $ again. But i do not trust it. Will I really fork out twice 950 $ and be frustrated as I am today ?

Trent Dasked

Currently I have 5.1 running in the lounge. It’s big and bulky. I have no doubt the quality for theatre will be good. Music wise, I use a Bose sound dock in the loungeroom, which I would like to get rid of. How’s the sound quality on this? I won’t be heading out to buy the sub super quickly due to initial costs. Many thanks!

Murray G

The sound from the sonos system is awesome we have the sound bar in front of the TV a sub woofer and two surrounds. The sound bar connects to the TV with a optic cable and the whole sydney runs on WiFi and you can add lots of apps like Spotify, iTunes and your favourite radio stations from any where in the world. I do however get very frustrated with the system when the Internet goes out as you can't do anything with it then other than user it with the TV

Great. Thanks for the info

Dianeasked

Can I use my iPod with the Sonos playbar?

Lee W
Lee W

Yes if both are connected to the same wifi network. Sonos doesn’t have Bluetooth. It’s plays over WiFi.

Thank you.

kck
kckasked

I have the sound bar downstairs with a mini speaker at opposite end of room, sound is great very full. The speaker upstairs in bedroom sounds like 1/2 of a stereo system...getting predominatley background music and faint lyrics. Will adding another mini speaker in the bedroom give me fuller sound? At times I cannot even hear he lyrics....

gasp
gasp

I suspect there is interference between the mini speaker and the music source. Wiring or insulation material perhaps? Have you tried moving the equipment around? SONOS are very supportive so you could call them for advice.

Rizzle
Rizzle

You are comparing a commodore Hsv SSV supercharged to a base model 6 cylinder in this case.

The playbar has more speakers,lower Hz and better response rate plus you have another speaker for the rear.
So of course you will think the speaker sound in the bedroom is less than it should,because it is!
You are best to tune the smaller speaker to your room.

Or a stereo pair of play1 will most probably suit your needs in the bedroom.

CategorySoundbars