5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Compact Cameras in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Fills the gap like no other camera

This was a quickly delivered no fuss purchase off eBay from a reputable on-line retailer. Purchased with an eBay 10% discount offer made it a no brainer. The Sony RX100vi is a high quality built camera that takes excellent photos and video. With 24-200mm lens that extends to 400mm with ‘clear image zoom’ with no loss of quality is amazing. The autofocus system is magic. A tilt up screen for selfie mode is a very good feature. No audio input, with only in camera audio, is not a deal breaker for me, as I can use my smartphone with a lav microphone and sync audio later. Colours out of camera are very good. 24 frames for second shooting is magic for photos particularly in sports scene mode. The quality of video in HD or 4K is outstanding and 4K proxy files are a bonus for editing. HDR photo mode is the best of its type that I have used on any device. Touch screen autofocus is good. No touch screen for camera settings but there is an excellent function menu that does the same thing, a custom ‘My Menu’ and lots of customizability with the physical buttons. Once it is set up it is easy to quickly adjust whatever I want. The menu system is elaborate but after I learnt where everything is, what it does and how well it works, I have an easy time making adjustments. There are similar cameras in the market but I would think from what I am getting from this camera, it is probably the best of its type. To me it is like the best of having an excellent dslr camera and smartphone combined. I have other cameras that I need for other purposes and this is a valuable addition. If I didn’t need 16mm ultrawide photography with a dslr then the only two cameras I would ever need would be my Galaxy S9 smartphone and Sony RX100vi and I could carry both of these all the time. From my perspective this is revolutionary and means I effectively have professional / nearly professional devices with me all the time. The last two years of technological advances in camera/video technology makes the price of admission well worth it for me.

Date PurchasedJun 2018