Sony HT-CT80

Sony HT-CT80

MPN: SNY-HTCT80

See the Best Soundbars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good sound for the price

I bought a Hisense 75"TV and bought Yamaha sound bar....it just won't work, called Hisense and they cant help either so I returned it to Good Guys, bought this Sony, but tried their display one on their Hisense...worked...and paid for it. Took it home and set it up, quite easily. Sound pretty good, the woofer is great and cant tell the soundbar if its good or not, but the 2 back speaker isn't as loud as I wanted to be. Overall its help to have it at home (unless you have a special home theatre with special room then buy the most expensive and the best ). For $399 I am happy with it

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Very good soundbar for beginner

I bought this soundbar and subwoofer from Big W last month while their promotion. I am glad I picked this model rather than JVC.

It is ease to pair connections. I am quite impressed it has NFC builtin, so just simply put the phone (with NFC) on the bar. Sound quality is great with couple preset configurations. It also support usb mp3, wma playback as well as 3.5 audio jack and optical inputs.

It would be nice if the soundbar has radio feature and LCD display.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

It does the work

The sound bar does te work providing a better sound quality from the tv. the bluetooth option is not a straight forward or smooth transition, it takes some time to get it working. The subwoofer is not wireless. Although I own a new sony tv you still need to use both remotes to turn them on.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

good sound bar

Bought the sony sound bar at the good guys after being told by salesman that i'm better of keeping to brand of tv, not a problem so far, does what it's meant to and enhances the sound, beats the tv speakers hands down and is a pleasant change from tinny sound from tv speakers, this is a perfect buy for people with smaller rooms, on a budget or for the kids room, it's easy to operate , and the woofer can be adjusted separately. Don't expect hi end sound but you can expect a much better sound than what's from the tv speakers, worth the bucks I reckon.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great Soundbar that does the job!

Need to say outright, this is my first Sound-bar so have not experienced any others for a comparison. Having said that, it has met all my expectations and I'm very happy with its appearance and function.
Unit consists of the sound-bar itself and a separate subwoofer meant to sit on the floor beside the TV. The sound-bar lies somewhat flat which is good as it doesn't block the infrared for the TV. Instructions say it can be wall mounted if desired and their are two additional feet supplied if you wish to raise the back of the bar a little higher when it is lying flat.
Unit readily hooked into my TV (admittedly also a Sony product) and allows virtually all features to be controlled by the TV itself. Only downside to the display is it will only show factory programmed names for the items plugging in. eg It shows TV, DVD etc but you can't have APPLE TV or FOXTEL. This is only a very minor quibble.
The only other (also minor) quibble would be the Remote Control seems to be made of a somewhat cheap feeling plastic but this is just a personal thing and the control has done nothing to make me feel it will not be reliable or long lasting. The bar and sub-woofer are made of quality feeling materials.
Performance wise, sound from the bar is great with the subwoofer providing plenty of bass oomph during "movie explosions" and similar. There are a number of settings to adjust for the type of viewing you are doing but I find the one that increases the clarity of spoken words to be most useful for me and certainly removes any issues of muffled speech.
Happy to recommend this one but maybe not at its full recommended retail price. I was fortunate to grab this one on sale with a considerable amount of money off. That's what clinched the sale.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Really good sound at a great price

My TV had terrible sound, this unit is fantastic. The sound is clear and deep like the movies. Has surround option or clear audio. It was relatively easy to set up considering I didn't know what I was doing, so if you do it will be a breeze!
Only negative thing I can say is the power cord is ridiculously short so it limits where you can put it if you do not want to run an extension cable. Why they would put such a short cord on this is bewildering?? Especially given you would want to move it to where it is centred in the room or to get the best sound for your needs. The cord wasn't even long enough to reach from my video cabinet to the floor to plug into the powerboard. Such a shame they ruined and cheapened such a fabulous product by being stingy with the power cable. Otherwise, value for money this is fabulous and I would recommend it, just buy an extension cable.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Love my soundbar

This unit is great, fills my 3x8 loungeroom well. I needed to get better sound for my tv and these were just the ticket, I just wish they would auto turn on when I turn my also tv on... Small inconvenience for such great sound though, you should hear the start of the show lucifer on them!

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Sony HT-CT800

The Sony HT-CT800 is value for money and has excellent sound quality. Was almost going to buy the Boss soundbar and listening the same track on the Sony soundbar was awesome. just picked one up. The Sony soundbar comes with a sub woofer and can connect wireless speakers. That's pretty cool

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great sound for a small unit but..

I bought this soundboard for our outdoor room as a Bluetooth streamer. It connected easily to my preferred music storage: my LG phone and sounded pretty good really..for one of the cheapest units out there. But it started to cut out for 5 seconds or so every 30 seconds or less. Sometimes it stopped for 20 seconds. I was playing stored music by the way...not streamed music like I intended to do. I tried an ipad, an ipod and a galaxy note3. All did the same. I moved the wireless modem. Moved the unit to another room. Rebooted it. Changed all the settings. No change. Bought it from Harvey Norman who were happy for me to exchange it for an LG product.
Ps. If I wasn't using Bluetooth, it may have been fine.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

I enjoy my movies more now

I got this as a complementary from Sony. Watching movies are much more enjoyable now. Sound quality is good and loud enough for a living room. would be nice if it had a lcd screen for easier control or if I could control it with my Sony tv remote controler

let there be sound

We have suffered with bad sound from our ultra thin TV for so long until we bought this sound bar.
Rarely do we need to turn up louder, to get that surround sound feeling.
The simple set up and simple use of remote make it easy for even people who are not tech savvy.
The price was great compared to everything else out there and we even got it at a discounted price, so well worth it.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Sony sound bar..

Was great... gives you that cinema feel without actually being at the cinema.... need a huge flat screen tv now to complete the package... not too expensive either was good mid range sound bar with sub woofer to give you that punch when needed. Rating out of 10... 7... Buy one...

Great value for money

for what it is it's great value for money and east to set up and compliments my Sony Tv. More than loud enough for my use and perfect price which was cheaper than any low frills models I could fine elsewhere. Actually bought a more expensive model only to take it back same day and replace with this.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

simple cheap and great sound

No need to spend heaps to get a basic sound bar to improve the tinny sound of todays ultra thin Smart TV's.
Also great from streaming music from phone. We had the choice of more elaborate units for full surround sound quality but only need it for the family room TV. My suggestion is to get an in store demo so you know just what you need and don't get oversold.

Great value name-brand soundbar

I opted to spend a little extra cash to purchase the Sony HT-CT80 instead of the less expensive Soniq equivalent. No regrets. Sounds great in the living room, and although it's not overly powerful, the subwoofer has a subtle but noticeable kick to it. Sleek design that sits beautifully in front of the 55" television. The only downside is that it won't pair with a universal remote.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Not bad but just not quite right

This gives good quality sound, but we have found that it is either too quiet or too loud; there is no 'just right' volume. We are either blasting out at such a volume that the whole neighbourhood knows what we are watching or turning the subtitles on the TV because we can't hear a thing. Turning it to 'night' mode has helped to regulate the volume the little, but with that setting, the voices in a movie can become muffled.
Set up was very easy and switching it between different modes, ie, digital for the TV and Bluetooth for the i-phone is no problem.
We bought it half price and at the price, it was affordable and perhaps if I didn't care about the neighbours, I would like the sound it blasts out.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Love the sound

The sound is clear and crisp and when watching movies or normal TV it is great and better then my old surround system. The setup was easy that that even a female would not have a problem with this. It fits well and looks good on my TV unit and fits in right for the size of my house. Cant go wrong with the price.

It's ok at best, wish it worked with my Sony TV Remote

Purchased this to go with a 1 yr old Sony 40" Smart TV. I was hoping that my Sony TV Remote would also operate the Soundbar but unfortunately not. Now I have to have 2 remotes in the sitting room - not what I was after.

So I thought, I'll just leave it on, and operate the volume on the TV - nope. (Plus in order to do this I will suffer reduced sound quality as I have to switch from Optical to 3.5mm connection). Soundbar will enter standby after no use, and won't turn on automatically again. So there is no way to avoid having to use the extra remote.

The sound quality is acceptable given this is one of the cheapest Soundbars on the market, definitely much better than TV speakers.

Probably should have researched a bit more before I purchased the Sony HT-CT80 Soundbar, in hindsight I need one with HDMI ARC and one that allows me to disable the Standby feature. But otherwise if you are looking for an entry level Soundbar with no HDMI, and happy to add another remote to your ensemble, then this product may be for you.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

The speakers in my homebrand TV is better

Sounds like the "subwoofer" is not plugged in. Sound guinely sounds tinny. Don't waste your money. The inbuilt speakers in the cheap hisense TV are way better.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Turns off after 20min Very dissappointed

I purchased this system on Groupon. I received the sound bar within 2 days. The sound bar was in good condition. The directions were not clear on how to hook up the dvd to the sound bar. I had to purchase a separate audio cord because my TV nor my dvd player had a optical cord. This was extremely frustrating. The Sony representative gave me wrong information. They told me to get a 3.5 mm cord. That was incorrect. I needed a 3.5mm audio cord. The sound shuts off after 20 to 30 min. I would not recommend this product its not worth it. I am going to purchase another brand.

Date PurchasedJul 2016