MPN: HTNT5

See the Best Soundbars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Rubbish sound. Don't waste your money

The sound has no mid range. Very tinny. The sub-woofer lack adequate independent volume control so it barely contributes to the sound. Really poor value for the money. The sound was so bad I disconnected it and went back to the speakers in my Samsung TV which sounded better. As if that could be possible.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Crisp sound, easy set up, good functinality

Purchased this based on the recommendation of a friend who bought it a month prior. Its slim line and easy to set up. The set up menu itself appears a bit basic however how fancy does a sound bar menu need to be? Have noticed that now and then the subwoofer turns off so you need to check that the little green light on the front is on when using. When I change the mode on my LG tv from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 (for example), it will automatically switch to the sound bar menu and ask you to select the sound mode that is appropriate (tv, HDMI 1 etc). I like that it has an easy switch functionality for tv, sport, music etc.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Big Sound Boxed Small

As I have 2 very young children, it is not time for me to invest in an expensive sound set-up in fear that they will most likely be damaged. Cue subwoofer filled with toy cars and trains; tweeters and woofers punctured by pencils.

I'm no audiophile, however I never believed in soundbars until I saw the HT-NT5 and decided to give it a shot based on the specifications and glowing reviews the unit had received. My goodness, does this thing NOT sound like a 'typical' soundbar.

My TV area is 5.4 x 5.2 meters with 6 meter ceilings and it has no problem filling up the room with sound. Not harsh sound, but sound that is true to its source. I was skeptical about the little subwoofer unit punching out enough bass, but am happy with it turned up to 11 out of 12. What I love about this unit is that it will happily punch out the sound for an action movie, but is still versatile enough for easy listening music. The first movie I tested with this unit was Deadpool, and I was blown away with what a soundbar could actually do. To try out the bass, I streamed Massive Attack's "Teardrop" and "Angel", and Tool's "Stinkfist" via Bluetooth and was equally impressed.

Setting up the unit is a breeze, pairing the wireless subwoofer is easy. Built quality is up there, however the remote looks like it came with a $300 model. Still highly functional so I cannot really complain. I love how you can set up the input selection to bypass those that you are not using, so you can quickly switch from HDMI 1 to Bluetooth without having to cycle through HDMI 2, HDMI 3 etc; as an example.

All 3 HDMI inputs are compatible with HDCP 2.2 plus HDR and it has support for a broad range of audio formats. Couple this with an ARC (which is standard fare anyway), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a USB port and Ethernet connection I surmised that it is fairly future-proof and should serve its purpose just fine for the next few years. If you are interested in this model you will need to refer to Sony's website for the full specification as they are simply too many to list on this review.

My unit is hooked up to a LG 75UH855T via HDMI ARC with a PS3 hooked up to the unit. My Wi-Fi network picks it up fine so I haven't bothered connecting it via Ethernet. Blu-Ray 3D discs work fine (and will have to suffice until I purchase a 4K player). I leave my sound setting on Movie all the time, but I note that the ClearAudio+ setting actually works so is handy to use if you are hard of hearing or there is too much surrounding noise to hear dialogue. I previously had it hooked up to a 2009 Series 8 Samsung 55 inch LED TV via ARC, and I find that with both TV's I can automatically turn on and adjust the volume of the unit with the TV remote. The unit sits on a TV cabinet so the panel speakers point upwards but this has not been a problem.

The only complain I have about the HT-NT5 would be the exposed tweeters at the front / bottom of the unit - I'm just dreading the day the kids take their pencils to them!

Overall for the price, a very nice minimalist alternative with extremely decent sound. I love how discreet my AV set-up looks with just the TV, soundbar and subwoofer on / beside the cabinet...until the power button is pressed and there is an explosion of colours and sound.

The newly released Samsung HW-K950 may topple this model, but it is in a completely different price range. Very happy consumer.

Date PurchasedAug 2016