Sony W660E Series

See the Best Full HD TVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Smart TV functions do not work

This television is garbage. The apps continually fail, requiring multiple manual work-arounds to reset the entire television at least once per week. It fails randomly and each time, requires the apps to be manually downloaded and the painful process of re-entering log-in details for Netflix, Stan, ABC and SBS.

After liaising with Sony technical help for several months, I requested a refund. To enact this, the TV had to be assessed. Over a month later, with no replies to my emails during this time requesting an update, I finally called Sony. They advised the TV was assessed weeks earlier and there was nothing wrong with it. And they didn’t even bother to contact me to let me know or offer a way to return the broken TV.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. Sony has details of back and forward correspondence with their technical team detailing the issues. They will not offer a refund.

AVOID Sony. They cannot make Smart TVs.

Purchased: August 2018
Sent for repair: March 2019
Current status: no TV and no refund

I just want a refund so I can replace this thing with a TV that works.

Purchased in August 2018 at The Good Guys for $595.00.

Performance
Picture Quality
Software
Sound Quality

Not good

I hate this TV with a passion. It loses channels each time I switch it off and I have to re-tune, issues with the time update, slow lag with buttons.

Decent for the price. Aerial module malfunctioned in 6mo

The TV itself gives good images, the main reason why I avoided LG and Samsung were their anemic speakers and audio processing (super weak vocals but loud in other sounds).

The TV is thin and stable. The remote is classic Sony, easy to use.

I had the unit hooked up via LAN cable and it connected to the web easily. The local AU apps like Nine, 7, SBS etc loaded but it needed a software update and an Internet content refresh to make it work smoothly.

You might wanna change the DNS as well for better connection, but I think that's an issue with the crappy Internet in Au, in general, than the unit.

The main issue I had was the free to air TV using the aerial. Admittedly, the antenna were using is an internal one (not connected to the one on the roof), so signal will be weak, but we were still able to watch Channel 7 and 9, for example, with no issies... After a few months, however, the TV modulator no longer works when you scan for channels. Even if we connected the aerial above the roof, only C31 channel comes up.

We got the unit at Costco for under 600 bucks so it was a good deal.

As we watch mostly Netflix (or stream) and console games, we didn't bother getting it fixed or checked

Love Love Love this TV

When budget is tight I do my homework.. I wanted a good quality TV for my bedroom with Netflix or smart tv capability. Found this TV Sony Bravia 32” KDL32W660E Full HD Smart TV on ebay it was $623 but there was a 20% off day.. so I secured it for $499. For that price I cannot be happier. Picture and sound quality is great. Netflix is one simple button and is almost instant.. no lag like some tv's experience. I did remove the stand and popped it on the wall and its pretty slim. Certainly worth considering - good name - and so far so good.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Easy to use and great quality picture

Purchased this for bedroom and was surprised how easy to set up. We love the quality of the picture and we have it connected to a sound bar. Love it wished we upgraded a year ago now. I must admit we have never had an issue or problem with Sony so hence why we changed from another cheaper brand as you really do get what you pay for. I recommend this TV.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Awesome picture quality

This tv has awesome picture quality, smart tv features are awesome and easy to navigate. Set up of tv took a bit to get used to but once all the setting were figured out the quality of picture and sound were second to none. TV has more than enough USB ports and it can be connected to several devices.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Picture improvement on the old set

The picture and sound are good - being a new tv I expected that. however the operating instructions are woefully inadequate. you guess by clicking on different buttons on what to do (eg to record a program if youre not connected to the internet). as its only been operating a few days - I hope it lasts me a while. my old tv was 17 yrs old so this is a jump into the 21st century for me. so far, touch wood - so good.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
addendum - after 6 months use - the remote is wearing quickly and the Guide function is mucking up - the tv isnt allowing anything to record anymore. basically the computer brains are malfunctioning & i'm going to be asking for a replacement. very disappointed - paid top dollar barely lasted into half its warranty.

Straight forward set up; great picture quality

I found the internet and TV set up straight forward. I'm not a computer expert and so was surprised when I read earlier reviews. All to easy. Great picture quality. I bought the last tv over 15 years ago and paid twice the price. Very pleased with this purchase. Thanks

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Terrible

What a piece of junk.
EPG is the worst I have seen. Always says "No Event Information".
Info button show minimal info on the program.
I have a Panasonic Viera in the lounge, now I wish I bought another one of those for the bedroom instead of this wanna be tv.
Stick to cameras Sony.
Your customer service sucks too.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Terrible TV

I bought this TV for $600 and when I went to connect to the internet is just didn't want to know. The set up for it was long and complicated and it was all for nothing. Also when starting a DVD the TV made a loud buzzing sound on the DVD menu screen. I took the TV back to where I bought it and they tested it and it wouldn't connect to the internet for them either. They had another of these TV's in stock but I insisted on having it tested before I'd even consider taking it home. It also refused connect to the internet. So it was a dud too. I ended up buying a different brand which does work as a TV should.
I have two Sony HD cameras that have worked faultlessly here and overseas. Perhaps Sony cameras are ok but their TV's aren't.
I couldn't honestly recommend this TV to anyone.

Not so good

I brought this TV in a rush, Not asking enough questions and now I am paying for it. When I researched the product the night before, it said somewhere on the net it had a DVD player. On checking after assembling, No, it does not. The second issue is, it only has two HDMI ports, I really need 3. If the DVD was in built , 2 ports would have been OK,
I have lost tuning on the second day, had to run the auto tune again. Someone commented it was a cheap TV. At $600 I don't think so, there are plenty around for less than half that.
Set up is just a messy as any other LCD TV, with its screen loops and no indication that it was saving anything which is typical of bad software programming.

On a positive note switching between modes seems to be seamless, example TV sound to surround sound, TV to Youtube.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

It was ok but unstable for me, I returned it!!

This TV is not bad if you need it for simple stuff, I needed this TV for security cameras connected to a RF modulator. I have no issues connecting a TCL and Samsung but After multiple tries I had no luck!! I contacted Sony and they advised me that I need to purchase Sony’s commercial TVs for this application (Which are extremely expensive), so long story short the tv is great for simple home applications, the picture quality is great the sound is good but if you have a modulator installed to your antenna this tv will not work!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Best TV I have ever owned

A genius programed this TV set up with me in mind and the remote makes total sense. Love the fact it has a Netflix button that takes you directly through Wifi to Netflix. I can't give enough praise to this Sony Bravia 49 inch TV. The color is brilliant, contrast is great, wonderfully crisp and sharp. Best color TV I have ever owned or viewed for that matter.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Best TV

Best TV I ever had. Easy for unboxing. Large sheet with step by step instructions to install base and connections. Once turned on was an easy follow-through of prompts on the TV to select country, language, auto channel setup, etc. Smart TV menu and system menu all easy to configure including setting up Netflix account. Quick setup wi-fi and TV did need an update after initial setup. Process was easy, fast and fuss-free. TV still new but first thoughts are that sound and picture quality are both excellent for size and price. I strongly recommend it.

Cheap yet quality television

The entry level Sony new line of TV is pretty good, despite it being the entry model. You may think, since it is the most basic model, there has to be some form of compromise. Well the only one I can think of is the resolution of the tv being 1080P only instead of 4k, but let's be realistic? Besides watching Netflix or a few videos on Youtube, 4k is still foreign in Australia. TV channels these days still stick to 576P, while only a few selected channels have 1080i/P resolution. So even being 1080P, only the display is still gorgeous.

Sitting the TV up, could not be more easier. Just attach the 4 screws into the TV and TV stand anSony tends to be on the steeper side with regards to TV price points though I can say after this purchase it was most definitely worth it. Picture quality is fantastic with deep, rich and vivid…
d attached the signal receiver and power cable and done, you can set it up. 2 minutes later, you can up and running. The TV also has built in application such as Netflix and Youtube, so it is a very nice media player.

Possibly a downside is the lack of Android OS, so you cannot access the Play Store but at the price point of this device, you can't really complain.

So overall, 4/5 stars for the device. Very good for those who are not too fuss on the latest and greatest technology and just want a television that is simple, affordable and can watch your favourite shows.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

A great addition to the bedroom

Really satisfied with my purchase of this TV. After much research and looking at other TV's including Samsung and LG I chose this because it outperformed the other screens in person. The panel was far brighter and clearer than it's competitors which I wouldn't have expected reading the specifications only. At the price I purchased it for ($595) I was very happy.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great TV

When my old TV broke, replaced with this Sony TV. Picture quality is great and when nothing to watch on TV, access smart TV and watch YouTube or Netflix. It is quite easily to switch between the two. It does its own app updates as well. I also like the slim modern design of it.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Gorgeous TV

Sony tends to be on the steeper side with regards to TV price points though I can say after this purchase it was most definitely worth it. Picture quality is fantastic with deep, rich and vivid colours, HDMI ports allow you to connect a couple external devices. The menus and Smart TV Hub is well designed and much more ergonomically sound than previous TVs I have owned.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Works fine. Sound a bit tinny.

The TV comes with two HDMI ports; a set of analogue composite ports (for the red, white and yellow RCA type plugs); an ethernet wired LAN port; built-in WiFi adapter; in NZ, a built-in Freeview adapter; and an optical audio input;

Freeview only works if you have an UHF analogue signal to the TV. We didn't so we used a Satellite Freeview receiver which feeds into one of the HDMI ports. Freeview channel changing, EPG, programme recording to an HDD and volume control is therefore carried out with our receiver.

We connected a laptop via the second HDMI port, which allows videos we have on the laptop to be played. An external HDD is connected to the laptop for extra storage. The laptop image won't fill the screen until you configure it correctly under Options->Screen-PC Setting.

We connected our DVD player to the composite inputs.

If you have a PS4 or a Xbox as well as a HDMI speaker system as well, then you're going to need more HDMI ports than what this TV has; or, you could buy an HDMI switcher (an extra $10-$30) so that all these other devices can be connected; or you can use a AV receiver as part of a home theatre system to act as a switcher and to provide 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 stereo sound.

The dealer threw in a Sony Soundbar HT-CT80. We used the optical audio input to connect the Soundbar to the TV. It has the Tweeter and Mid-Range speakers housed in a thin bar, and a separate subwoofer. The sound out of the TV isn't terrible but when you compare the sound from the SoundBar and a 5.1 Yamaha speaker system, then the scores would be 5/10, 7/10 and 10/10 respectively. But if you didn't have the equipment to make the direct comparison, then the TV sound is more than adequate.

The total rig works well but there are a lot of remotes, four in total: one for the TV; one for the Soundbar; one for the Freeview receiver and one for the DVD player.

DVD picture quality is strange. Skin tones and textures are pixelated and contrast is too high, resulting in skin details being washed out. These symptoms don't seem to occur when playing video from the laptop or when watching Freeview, so not sure if the problem is the DVD, the TV or the DVD/TV combination. Playing with the Reality Creation setting doesn't seem to make a difference. YMMV.

Connecting WiFi is relatively easy; just follow the built-in app; keying in the password didn't work but pressing the WPA button on the router did. Again YMMV.

The remote has dedicated shortcut buttons for YouTube and Netflix. These work well. There are also apps such as an Internet Browser. Unfortunately it wouldn't run video from TVNZ's OnDemand web page (freezes and says "loading" forever). Yet to try out all the other apps. Menu system is well organized and not confusing.

A good TV but one star off for only two HDMI ports; tinny sound and a browser that won't run TVNZ video.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Perfect so far. Highly recommend.

Fuss-free unboxing. Large sheet with step by step instructions to inistall base and connections. Once turned on was an easy follow-through of prompts on the TV to select country, language, auto channel setup, etc. Smart TV menu and system menu all easy to configure including setting up Netflix account. Sony offers auto software updates over wi-fi and TV did need an update after initial setup. Process was easy, fast and fuss-free. TV still new but first thoughts are that sound and picture quality are both excellent for size and price. Menu operations are relatively fast and lag-free. I also own another 2017 Sony TV and very impressed by all aspects of Sony's ownership experience. Highly recommend.

Date PurchasedDec 2017