Sony SRS-XB40

See the Best Portable Speakers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Sound and battery great

I have to agree it’s a keeper. I’ve been through a few Bluetooth speakers and was getting tired of unimpressive sound, poor battery life and intermittent operation (TDK speaker and a Harmon Kardon were disappointing for the money paid). So I was hesitant at buying another non Bose / B&O waste of time. But this one is great. Sound is great without the extra bass, good range of volume settings, battery life is great (came delivered at 100% and it’s last many hours so far and is still registering 50%. It has a nice power indicator read out). It’s simple to use and connects well. i was originally disappointed at the dedicated charger (not a usb) but when you realise the decent battery it has inside it’s understandable that a usb charger would deliver enough juice. it charges my phone very well. All in all very happy (would do without the lights gimmick but that can be turned off), I hope this one lasts (pity one can’t replace the internal battery when it does eventually die).

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very happy user - excellent package, good features and sound

There are lots of reviews out there for portable speakers and I read most of them before settling on the larger Sony unit. For me it boils down to size: bigger size = fuller sound, better bass, and longer battery life. One listen and the smaller units sound tinny, and comparing this to my 'compact' Sony radio from the 80's - this is a serious upgrade to room filling sound, and still in a smaller package. I'm not a user who needs this to fit in a small bag or clip on my belt to carry around all day - sound quality is far more important - so for me it's perfect for a holiday or camping trip, using it out in the garden, and it follows me around the house for chores. It's a darn site cheaper than any multi-room system too. Sony, as you would expect, also has excellent usability - quick pairing (even via NFC tap), sensible sound processing to stop distortion, it recharges other devices via USB, has a great Bluetooth reception range, a useful set of buttons on top, and crazy good battery life. I love it! Tips: Yes, it has disco flashing lights, but there is a button on top to turn them off. It is not USB rechargeable - there is an AC 9.5V fast charger - makes sense given the big battery would take too long to recharge on USB anyway. Jaycar sell a 12V to 9.5V car charger if you want to top up on the road. (Because of size and lack of USB, this wouldn't be my pick if you want a unit to travel with on overseas trips)

Date PurchasedDec 2017