Sony STR-DN1080

Sony STR-DN1080

See the Best Home Theatre Systems in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Audio Receiver only lasted 4 years - buyer beware

The main board on the Sony STR Receiver failed. After Sony customer service booked it in for assessment at their service centre, which initially I was delighted with, when it came to pick up, I found out I had to pay $100 for an assessment and then Sony refused to pay to fix the $500 to fix it. Apparently 4 years is too old to last for a Sony audio product. Waste of time!

Purchased in November 2014 at JB Hi-Fi for $700.00.

Not as advertised

I needed a new receiver and the Sony appeared to have good reviews elsewhere, so I purchased one.
Indeed, the sound quality is excellent, however, the functionality is poor.
1. the remote has clumsy and slow, on screen (you need a TV), control,
2. Although promoted as being 7.2 or 5.1 + Zone 2, this is not the case. Any attempt to play the source into another Zone failed on all digital sources. The receiver can be configured to connect either stereo speakers or analogue RCA out, to a Zone 2. But there is no DAC built-in, so only analogue sources can be heard. This includes the HDMI for Zone 2.
3. The minimum speaker impedance is 6 ohms and this is not apparent in the promotional literature. My 4 ohm Bose AM3 speakers cannot be used.

Although I really like the sound of this receiver, I plan to return it for a refund because there is no Zone 2, and I need that function.