Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Southern Cross Travel Insurance Questions & Answers (page 2)

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Sue Bailey
Sue Bailey · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

My daughter and I are travelling to Africa at the end of this year for 3 weeks. Considering the lack of medical treatment available in South Africa and the negative reviews written about being unable to contact SCTI in emergencies, I was wondering if we needed our travel insurance urgently would we be able to contact your company??

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Sue. Thank you for considering us to be your travel insurer. While our Sales & Service team has been receiving a high volume of general queries, our separate emergency assistance phone line for urgent situations while overseas is still available 24/7 with little to no wait time. This is the line you could use if you found yourself needing medical treatment. All the best for your trip to Africa! Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Coco
Coco

Sue don't go with them, they never answer the phone - haaa 24 hour phone answering - joke. 5 Emails to get a reply, only when I threatened to to to consumer affairs and social media did I get reply. Hopless

Marisol F.
Marisol F.

Hi There, I have been waiting for 15 minutes on the phone just trying to get a quote. I have finally hang up. It does not look efficient!

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Marisol. We are sorry that you have had difficulty contacting us. You are welcome to get a quote and purchase any of our policies through our website external link , or if you would still like to reach our sales team, please email us your contact details, and one of our team will call you. Take care, Hugo@SCTI.

Kim               Kim
Kim Kim · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Could you please explain 'Excess $100' ?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Kim. Thank you for your question. An excess is the amount we subtract from the claims we pay where an excess applies. For example, if a $350 claim has a $100 excess that applies, we would pay $250. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Kim               Kim
Kim Kim

Keith
Keith · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Will you cover missed connecting flights? I cannot find it on your PDS.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Keith. Thanks for enquiring about our flight cover. With regard to delayed flights, resulting in missed connecting flights - most airlines should provide alternatives at no cost. If the airline does not cover these costs, our policy provides coverage under Section D.3, 'Changes to your journey once you have left'. Thanks - Frances@SCTI

Djc
Djc · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Is renting a vehicle overseas through companies such as Turo covered by a SCTI comprehensive International policy?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi there. Thanks for your enquiry about car rentals. Our International Comprehensive policy covers payment toward rental vehicle excess up to $10,000 if the vehicle you hire is either damaged or stolen.

Lil17 · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Do SCTI cover when there are flight delays/cancellations by the airline? Example when they say due to mechanical issues, weather or staff shortage? What about if the airline can’t provide another flight at a reasonable time frame?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi there. Thanks for your enquiry about flight delays and cancellations. With regard to delayed flights, two sections of our International Comprehensive policy apply, depending on if you have left Australia or not when the delay occurs (D.2.1 and D.3.1). We can cover flight delays of only an hour or two if it means you will miss a special event (special events defined in the policy). Outside of that, we make an assessment based on each customer’s individual circumstances. If for example, your airline offered you a free flight a few hours later that day, but you went ahead and purchased tickets with a different airline, we would consider that unreasonable. On the other hand, if that delay meant you were going to miss out on another flight, or pre-booked accommodation, we would consider this reasonable. Thanks - Frances@SCTI.

Mary G.
Mary G. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Is cruise travel covered in travel insurance?

Anne S
Anne S

We only took out medical overseas insurance.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Mary. Thank you for your question about the cruise cover. Our International Comprehensive policy does have the option to include cruise cover as an add-on for your overseas trip. You can select this when purchasing a policy online. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Bob A.
Bob A. · International Comprehensive (Annual Multi-Trip)

My wife and I are looking at yr Annual Multi-trip Travel Insurance.

Will we be covered if my wife and I (named Adults on Policy) travel together on SOME trips, BUT we may travel on our own during the year, ie without the other?

(Ive looked but can’t find this scenario in the PDS)

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Bob. Thank you for your question about travelling separately when on the same Annual Multi-trip policy. You are welcome to do this. The policy can be used by just one of the persons insured if they are travelling alone. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

auswicky
auswicky · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I have read through your policy wording / PDS and could not find any clauses clearly related to flight delay. Other insurers do clearly state the cover for flight delay, say more than 6 hours or 12 hours delay.
What is the policy for covering 6 hours flight delay with your company?

And also could you please advise your policy regarding alcohol consumption and a claim. I am reading that many companies will reject claims that involve alcohol. I totally understand if you are intoxicated and have an accident that you may not be covered but if you are enjoying a few beverages with a meal and then are involved in an accident would you still be covered. Thx

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Thank you for your questions. With regard to delayed flights, two sections of our International Comprehensive policy apply, depending on if you have left Australia or not when the delay occurs (D.2.1 and D.3.1). We can cover flight delays of only an hour or two if it means you will miss a special event (special events defined in the policy). Outside of that, we make an assessment based on each customer’s individual circumstances. If for example, your airline offered you a free flight a few hours later that day, but you went ahead and purchased tickets with a different airline, we would consider that unreasonable. On the other hand, if that delay meant you were going to miss out on another flight, or pre-booked accommodation, we would consider this reasonable.

We do not cover events caused by being under the influence of alcohol. For example, if you had consumed alcohol and were injured as a result of intoxication, this would not be covered by our policies. On the other hand, if you had some wine with dinner and had an accident where alcohol is not the cause of the accident, there would be provision for cover under our policies.

We are happy to talk through either of these questions with you if you’d like to get in touch. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Lil17

I also have had trouble finding a clear outline on their flight delay/cancellations policies as this is my main consideration for choosing the right insurance company. Will we be covered if the airline cancels or significantly delays our flight for any reason (whether it be our lay over flight or flight directly to or from our destination)?

alexa g.
alexa g. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Do you cover for 1 way trips when you don't know when you will return home or don't have a flight yet booked?

Dave Teh
Dave Teh

You need to ask SCTI if and how the policy works in this case.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Alexa. Thank you for your question to clarify if you can use the policy as one way to cover or for a journey that you haven't yet booked your return flight. The policy is not intended for one-way travel insurance. To be able to purchase, you need to intend to cover your entire trip through to your return to Australia. If you have a fair idea of when you will return, you can purchase a policy, and when you arrange your return flight overseas, call to adjust the end date of your policy. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

MiaM
MiaM

Hi. If I already have a return date but later I want to stay back for a month, do you offer a discount rate to extend the policy period? Or new policy will be applied for the period between the existing end date and the new end date?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi MiaM. Thank you for your question. You can extend your policy while travelling. The additional cost to do so is the difference between what you have already paid, and what you would have paid had you chosen the longer date at the time of purchase. In other words, there is no penalty or discount in choosing to extend. Hope this helps, Hugo@SCTI.

Ivan R.
Ivan R. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Team, just had an Angiogram procedure done 15th June 2023 last week, three Stents put in, otherwise ok & discharged Friday night 16th June 2023. Am now walking daily, with no other issues.

Had a knee replacement ( Right Knee February 2017, no issues ).

I need Medical Cover whilst on holidays from the 12th September 2023 arriving back 29th October 2023.

Kind regards

Ivan Radovnikovic Mobile: 0419236038 Email : ivan@radofinancialservices.com.au

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Ivan. Thank you for your interest in our travel insurance. For privacy, we don't recommend publicly sharing personal details. We have sent you a direct message where we can discuss this. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

BertL
BertL · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

What is Resumption of Journey?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Bert. Resumption of journey is a benefit we offer in our Working Overseas policy. If you’re required to return to Australia as a result of an unexpected event that directly relates to a relevant person, we’ll cover your travel arrangements to resume your journey. For more information, please see page 59 of our Working Overseas policy wording. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

Danielle · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi there, before I purchase a policy can you please explain cover for Natural Disasters as I dont see an option to purchase this as an extra. If I purchase the cover today, going to Bali, and their volanco Mount Agung erupts after I purchase the cover and disrupts my journey such as flight issues, is this covered?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Danielle. Thanks for your questions about cover for natural disasters. Our International Comprehensive policy can include cover for unexpected natural events, with no add-on required. Please see the policy wording for more details. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Danielle

Hi Hugo, I've read the policy wording and it's not clear which is why I've asked the question. Any chance of getting a definitive answer on the coverage given my question was pretty specific?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Danielle. Thanks for your follow-up question. As the natural event in your example is unexpected (no prior warning before purchasing), then this would be an event you could claim for. The policy can cover travel disruptions such as flights and accommodation etc. Sections D.2 or D.3 may apply depending if the event occurs prior to travelling or while travelling. In a claim, we will refer back to the policy wording depending on how an event disrupts your travel. If you would like more information on this, please feel free to call our Sales and Service team to discuss. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Stephen
Stephen · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

hi
it looks like i need to have receipts for all my clothes and luggage before you will cover any losses.
is this the case?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Stephen. Thank you for your question. While we do request proof of ownership and value for claimed items, we understand that people won’t keep receipts for every little item. Therefore, our Claims Assessors work with our customers on a case-by-case basis to explore how we’re able to help. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Michael R.
Michael R. · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Hi there, I'm looking at getting a policy for an upcoming trip and my main concern is covering my luggage including camera equipment, a tablet and a watch - all of which fit within the individual item and total value limits. However, they were all purchased secondhand. How can I prove my ownership of them in the event of them being stolen or damaged? Thanks :)

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Mitchael. Thank you for your interest in our travel insurance :) Our policy wording suggests a receipt as an example of proof of ownership. For more information about proving ownership of secondhand items, please send us an email at info@scti.com.au or call us on 1800 196 484. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Adriana S
Adriana S · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

what is D13 mean in your policy

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Adriana. In our International Comprehensive policy, section D.13 is included in your cover should you select the cruise add-on when purchasing. This section then explains how the policy applies when cruising. For further explanations on the policy wording, please email or call us. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

mon
mon · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, can you please provide some insight into your Covid Cover for Comprehensive International Travel Insurance? I couldn't find the relevant section on page 85 of the PDS, as referred to in the Covid SPDS.
TIA :)

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi mon. Thank you for your question to learn more about our COVID-19 cover. Our COVID-19 SPDS contains most of the COVID-19 specific information. The reference to page 85 of the PDS is to include our general exclusion that applies to all parts of the policy, including the COVID-19 SPDS. You may also find our COVID-19 FAQs helpful. Here is a link to read these: external link . Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

MandyL
MandyL · International Comprehensive (Annual Multi-Trip)

With an annual policy, what countries do you include if you don't yet know where you are going on later trips? Can this be modified at a later date as the countries you put down can affect the premium significantly .

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Mandy. Thank you for your interest in our Annual Multi-trip policy. You are welcome to add more countries after purchasing. Some countries may require an additional premium, while others will be added for no extra cost. Please email before travelling to a new country to add it to your policy. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Angela Ghedini
Angela Ghedini · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, I would like the an answer to a scenario, and what you would pay out please. I had a suitcase go missing at a stop-over location and it was gone for 5 days before it was finally retrieved. Meanwhile I had the clothes I was standing in and no toiletries. My husbands suitcase was badly damaged, beyond repair but he at least had his belongings. I had to buy emergency clothing/toiletries. I had to go onto online chat as the insurer did not answer the phone line. I put in a report at the destination airline desk and waited for my bag to turn up...... my insurer requested a quote for repairs to my husbands badly damaged bag, receipts for the purchase of both suitcases and all items in my suitcase? I never had receipts for anything. None of my clothing was new, nor were the suitcases (Tosca) . I had to purchase emergency toiletries and some clothing to which I kept receipts of purchase. I submitted these receipts and was denied my claim. They also tried to get the airline to find the bag. The language barrier doing the lost bag report was horrendous and the insurance company said there wasnt enough info.The suitcases when new were approx $250 each, however we bought 2 cheap ones at our destination as they never had good quality ones and we nad to get back home. Our $250 excess would have been swallowed up anyway, but all in all, we were about $350 out of pocket. If I had put a claim in back in Australia, would you have replaced the suitcases with a Tosca brand less depreciation? Would we have been better to just pay for everything and claim later? My suitcase was back within 5 days and delivered to our hotel but was also damaged. We took photos of both suitcases of the damage and neither airline or insurance would pay. They said they were unattended! We had no choice that they were unloaded in Kuala Lumpur. All I can say is, our holiday was ruined for the first week. What would you suggest to do if this ever happened again?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Angela. Thank you for your question about covering for damaged and temporarily lost items based on an experience of yours. Losing your luggage at the start of a holiday sounds stressful! We can't confirm or deny coverage for a particular situation, as this would require a claim assessment with supporting documents. Our International Comprehensive policy does provide cover for delayed and damaged luggage. For more information on this cover, please get in touch with our Sales & Service team or look at section D.4 from the policy wording found online. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Maree
Maree · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I have read in the reviews that you will not pay claims for missed flights. You replied that you will pay a claim in some situations. My question is: if one's flight is late and the carrier can only provide a replacement flight some days later, but you find you can buy a flight (at a much higher price) to reach your destination much earlier from another carrier, does SCTI cover the cost of that new ticket (after any refund from the first carrier).

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Maree. Thank you for your question about covering delayed flights. Yes, we can cover situations like what you described assuming that there are no other additional factors that relate to a policy exclusion. Sections D.2 and D.3 of our International Comprehensive policy describe cover for delayed/flight changes in more detail, depending if it is pre-departure or while you are on your journey. We recommend reading the entire sections, but take a look at the example on page 46 and the cover conditions on 47 and 53, as you may find these particularly helpful. You are welcome to call or email us too for more information. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

Welliboots · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hello. Going to Bali in August. Is cover available if we are going to be riding Quad bikes in a tour? I believe motorbikes are covered for extra, but does this include Quad bikes?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Welliboot. Thanks for your question about cover for a quadbike tour. There is provision for medical cover for injuries providing you are with a licensed tour operator, you are following their safety recommendations, and you are wearing appropriate safety gear. No general exclusions must apply, such as racing or remote area touring. There is no need to add moped and motorbike cover to the policy for this quadbike tour. For more information, please feel welcome to call us or send us an email to info@scti.com.au. Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Welliboots

Thank you. I have processed and paid for my insurance :)

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023, 2020, 2019 and 2018. Learn more

Visit Official Website