Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Southern Cross Travel Insurance Questions & Answers (page 3)

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Tasneem C
Tasneem C · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Hi - if i have nut allegies is this a pre existing medical condition? I carry an epipen whenever I travel

Michael
Michael

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Tasneem. Thank you for your question. Without knowing more, it sounds like this could be a pre-existing. To be sure, please read the definition of what we consider a pre-existing medical condition to be in the definitions section found at the end of the policy wording. Alternatively, you can email our service team at info@scti.com.au. All the best, Matt@SCTI

maxi
maxi · Domestic Travel Insurance

Do you cover for cancellation for unseen circumstances

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Maxi. We cover many reasons for cancellation. However, not all situations are covered. For more information, please check out section D.2 of our International Comprehensive policy wording starting on page 44. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

KJB
KJB · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I am just wondering if Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a good option when you have a pre-existing medical condition? Any insights would be much appreciated.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi KJB. Thank you for your question. Our policies can cover many pre-existing medical conditions. To see if we can cover your condition/s, please visit our website to get a quote. Step 4 of getting a quote is to declare any pre-existing medical conditions. This will allow you to see the additional premium required and add them to your policy. If you have any questions about the cover or what a pre-existing condition is, please get in touch with us on 1800 196 484 or email us at info@scti.com.au. Thanks, Matt@SCTI.

Nicole Glen
Nicole Glen · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi could you please advise your policy regarding alcohol consumption and a claim. I am reading that many companies will reject claims that involve alcohol.I totally understand if you are intoxicated and have an accident that you may not be covered but if you are enjoying a few beverages with a meal and then are involved in an accident would you still be covered. Thx

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Nicole. Thank you for your question. We have sent you a direct message explaining this in more detail. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

not a sucker anymore · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hello, do you cover delayed or cancelled flights.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi. Under our International Comprehensive and Domestic policy, we can cover many reasons that would cause a flight to be cancelled or delayed. If travelling overseas, check out section D.2 of the policy wording for more information. Here is a link to the policy if you are interested: external link . Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Sheryn
Sheryn

We had a medical emergency on a trip and non changeable air tickets for a family of 6 including children parents and grandparents. SCTI were exemplary in their advice and covering all costs of cancelled, rescheduled flights and medical expenses. I never use any other insurer for travel this is a ‘peace of mind must’ always on my first to do list when travelling.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Sheryn. That is excellent news to hear that you found our service exemplary. It's great that you see the value in having your travel insurance sorted first just in case things unexpectedly change leading up to your journey. Thank you for your loyalty! All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

not a sucker anymore

So that was very confusing to navigate through (Nice hand ball) All I found out is that you don't cover pandemics (Covid was called a pandemic) also it says that you don't cover Acts of Terrorism (Bali bombing was an act of Terrorism). I have read some of the reviews that some people have been told to read the fine print once they were refused a clam from airline cancellation /disruptions. Thanks anyway I'll pass.

Lil17
Lil17

I’ve read it over and over again and I’m beginning to think it’s designed to be confusing as I cannot find a clear answer. Other insurance companies have their policies written so much clearer.

Bryan S
Bryan S · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

We are looking for insurance for Domestic Cruising ie The Kimberley's 10 days. The cruise company has a medical evacuation policy, which we have included in our fare, so we are looking for cover just in case we had to cancel for unseen circumstances, like sickness or accident. Regards Bryan.

Alan Reynolds
Alan Reynolds

Hi Bryan....I had to cancel 6 hours prior to our ship departure, due to a diagnosis for Acute Diverticulitis. I provided a copy of the letter provided by my doctor showing the diagnosis, and advice not to travel. My wife did travel accompanied with our friends as planned. After supplying the appropriate documentation to SCTI, they refunded 50% of the cruise cost, and Princess Cruises also refunded a proportional cost. I am 75 years old and also have an Incurable disease sIBM which SCTI accept. I will always now use SCTI after this experience.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Bryan. We appreciate your interest in our insurance. While we have a policy that covers international cruises, we currently do not have a policy that covers domestic cruises around Australia. Sorry we can’t help you this time, but we wish you all the best on your trip. Kind regards, Hugo@SCTI

Sue floyd
Sue floyd · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Do you have a cruise pollicy that covers 5 european countries on a mediterranean cruise? I was only offered an annual multi policy online, and we are only travelling for six weeks.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Sue. Thank you for your question about covering a multi destination cruise in Europe. Our International Comprehensive policy can cover multiple destinations in a single trip and has the option to add cruise cover. While the Annual Multi-trip policy can also cover many destinations, it is intended to cover multiple trips over the course of a year. Here is a link for a quote if you are interested: external link

Cath W.
Cath W. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

During a 1 month holiday in Vietnam this year I am likely to undertake an overnight cruise on Ha Long Bay. This is not an ocean cruise. The boat departs from and ends in a location on Cat Ba Island, within Vietnam, and and so the cruise is not 'travelling to an overseas destination'. For insurance cover during this excursion, do I need to select Cruise Cover and pay the extra ~$60 premium?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Cath. Thanks for your question. It looks like you have read the policy wording already which is great to see. As Vietnam is an overseas destination in relation to Australia, this would meet the requirement of “Traveling to an overseas destination”. If it also meets our explanation of a cruise “When we refer to a cruise, we mean travel by ship or boat that isn’t solely for the purpose of transportation and involves staying on the vessel overnight in a cabin” then you would need to add cruise cover for events related to this part of your trip to be covered. Thanks, Matt@SCTI.

Andrew L
Andrew L · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, Can you run me through your requirements for pre-existing conditions please.

Andrew L

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Andrew. It is best to check out section “B” in our policy wording to get a good understanding of our pre-existing condition requirements but I have sent you a direct message with our definition of what a pre-existing condition is so you can check that it applies before you head over to our website for more information or to add it to a quote to see if we can cover it. Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Ses · International Medical Only Travel Insurance

medical only insurance: does it will covered cost for hospital bed, doctor, ambulance{ or medicine only???

I am happy to read the reviews from the 3 claimers

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Ses. Yes, for a coverable medical situation, these types of costs can all be included. An example of something that would be outside of the medical only cover would be a change of flights if you had to come home later. However, this could be covered as well with an International Comprehensive policy. Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Brian R
Brian R · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, thanks for insuring us recently. I was going to write on the review site, however I thought it inappropriate to make comment prior to clarifying something. On our arrival at Brisbane international cruise port. The departure team asked us to show evidence of our Covid 19 insurance within our policy…. Unfortunately I was unable to find it quickly on our policy, but they said if you think you have it please proceed… question… were we covered?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Brian. I’m sorry to hear you weren’t able to find proof of your COVID-19 cover. You'll be glad to hear that we do include cover for contracting COVID-19. The details of this cover are found in a purchase confirmation email attached alongside your policy wording so that it can be shared with those wanting to confirm cover. Let me know if you have any questions about our COVID-19 cover terms. I hope your cruise went well! Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Victor
Victor · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Fare Paying Passenger.
If part or all of my fare is covered by Royal Caribbean reward points credits, am I still considered a fare paying passenger?

Bruna Iotti
Bruna Iotti

That question should go to Southern Cross Travel Insurance, Victor.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Victor. Yes, you would still be considered a fare paying passenger. Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Mike P.
Mike P. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Ww

Judy P
Judy P · Domestic Travel Insurance

We are flying to Mt Hotham from Perth to go snow skiing in July. Do you offer any snow skiing cover in your domestic policy?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Judy. Thank you for checking this before you travel. Unfortunately, we do not cover snow skiing under our Domestic policy. We have an exclusion for some adventure sports, on-piste winter sports being listed here. Off-piste winter sports is also excluded under the extreme sports exclusion. This is just for our Domestic policy as should you travel internationally in the future, you can add ski cover to our International Comprehensive policy. Sorry we can’t cover skiing on this domestic trip for you, but we wish you all the best on your holiday. Take care, Matt@SCTI.

Judy P
Judy P · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Hi, We are booked on a Rhine river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest in October. Does this require the cruise package or are we covered under your Travelcare policy as some other companies do? For example if we were quarantined in our cabin would we be covered the same as if we were quarantined in a hotel room.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Judy. Our TravelCare policy includes cruise cover without the need to select an add-on. All the same sections of the policy apply when you are on a cruise as they would on any other type of trip. We do update our policies from time to time so please check in case this changes in the future. Our policy is only intended to cover financial loss. If the quarantine in your cruise room due to being diagnosed with COVID-19 does not result in lost prepaid expenses or any additional costs, there would be no cover. If you are interested in learning more about our COVID-19 cover, here is a link to our COVID-19 FAQs: external link . Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Kylie · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hello, my husband is a Ceoliac. He hasn't had any issues associated with his disease for many years & has recently had his endescope which showed his stomach lining is perfect.
Do you cover Ceoliac disease?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Kylie. Thank you for reaching out about cover for your husband. Great to hear that the latest results from the endoscope are so positive! From what you have said, this sounds like it would still be considered a pre-existing condition however I would recommend checking our definition of “Pre-existing conditions” in our policy wording if you haven’t done so already.
When purchasing a policy online you will be asked if you would like to cover any Pre-existing conditions. Here you can take a short questionnaire about his Ceoliac disease. Once finished, it will let you know if we can provide cover and any additional premium required should you decided to add it to the policy.

Hany R.
Hany R. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I am back from cruise and there was a change on the ship route due to unexpected event. (Instead of visiting 3 islands, we visited only two). Is that something that can be claimed for?

Lynn
Lynn

I'm sorry BUT I don't work for SCTI so how would I know? My review was as a customer who had a 100% positive experience with SCTI.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Hany. Thank you for your question. I’m sorry to hear that your cruise did not go as expected. It must have been disappointing to not have been able to visit all the destinations as originally intended. If there is a financial loss associated with this such as the loss of pre-paid bookings or excursions, then for these you can submit a claim for consideration. If there has been no financial loss i.e., only the loss of being able to enjoy that destination, this is not something our policies provide cover for. Please send us an email or give us a call if you have any further questions. All the best, Matt@SCTI.

Nerida T. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I have had 2x covid vaccinations. Am l classified as fully vaccinated by the Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy and am l eligible for Covid cover?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Nerida, Thanks for your question. In our policy wording we explain what we mean by fully vaccinated - being where you have had a COVID-19 vaccine that has been approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration, you have followed the Therapeutic Goods Administration recommendations relating to dosage and any booster vaccine requirements and you have completed the time period between the last vaccination and when the Therapeutic Goods Administration considers a person to be fully vaccinated. You mentioned that you have had two COVID-19 vaccinations - I would suggest you check with the Therapeutic Goods Administration about any recommended boosters. If you are up to date with the recommended boosters and meet the other requirements, then you would be considered fully vaccinated and eligible for COVID-19 cover under our policies. I would also recommend reading our supplementary product disclosure statement for full details about the COVID-19 cover and its limitations. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Anne@SCTI

Nerida T.

Most places accept 2 vaccinations as fully vaccinated. I don't understand why your Company insists on having the 2 booster shots as well. Shame as l would have liked to use your company. Thank you for getting back to me anyway.

Kylie

ATAGI made updated recommendations on boosters in February 2023, which replace previous advice.

Adults

The following recommendations apply to adults whose last COVID-19 vaccine dose or confirmed infection (whichever is the most recent) was 6 months ago or more. It does not matter how many doses the person has received before.

65 years or older

ATAGI recommends a booster dose in early 2023 for all adults aged 65 years or older.

18 to 64 years

ATAGI recommends a booster dose in early 2023 for adults aged 18 to 64 years who have medical comorbidities that increase their risk of severe COVID-19, or disability with significant or complex health needs.

Other adults aged 18 to 64 may consider a booster dose in early 2023, based on an individual risk–benefit assessment with their immunisation provider.

So pretty clear, if you are not compromised as above the 2 vaccinations are sufficient.

Adults

65 years or older

18 to 64 years

So as above if you are 18 to 64 and not immuno- compromised, the 2 vaccinations are good.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Nerida. Correct, as we don’t stipulate how many vaccines and boosters required, so long as you are following the advice provided by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. As of this message, the latest advice only asks to consider a booster for those from 18-64 years who have no medical risk factors, therefore a booster would not be required for you to be covered for COVID-19 under our policy.

Nerida T.

Shame the updated information was too late for me. We had to buy elsewhere.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Nerida T. We are happy that you were able to find a policy that suited you at that time and hope you might consider us again in the future. All the best, Matt@SCTI.

Loz
Loz · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, I am looking for travel insurance currently for my upcoming trip.
I notice that you have add on extras for skiing and motorbike riding but there is nothing about any other type of sports etc, IE: canoeing, Helicopter, hot air balloon, paragliding etc. Are all of these things automatically covered?
Loz

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Loz. Thanks for your question. Most sports and activities (apart from skiing/snowboarding and motorbike/moped riding which are Add On's) are covered automatically by the policy. However, there are some situations which are excluded from cover. For example, adventure sports such as paragliding or white-water kayaking are only covered if you're taking part with a licensed operator, following their safety instructions, and wearing all safety equipment. For more information you can read pages 85-86 of our policy wording (general exclusions related to sports and activities) or alternatively call or email us. Have a great trip! Anne@SCTI

Christy F.
Christy F. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Does SCTI cover flight delayed??

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Christy. We can cover delayed flights. Cover depends on the reason for delay. More information can be found on page 49 of the International Comprehensive (TravelCare) policy wording. All the best, Matt@SCTI.

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023, 2020, 2019 and 2018. Learn more

Visit Official Website