Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Southern Cross Travel Insurance Questions & Answers (page 4)

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Peter and Susanne
Peter and Susanne · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Do you cover for COVID related illness while travelling?
Do you have a special insurance for Seniors?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Peter and Susanne. Thanks for reaching out to get some answer for your questions. Yes, we can cover COVID-19 if you contract it while traveling. Please read these COVID-19 FAQs as they explain what we cover and the requirements you will need to meet: external link . Our International Comprehensive policy includes cover for seniors too. All the best, Matt@SCTI

Peter and Susanne

Much appreciated for help.

Boris R.
Boris R. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I am travelling to South Pacific by cruising if the Covid 19 is covering for this trip if I buy the policy

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Boris. Our International Comprehensive policy can cover cruising and COVID-19 should you contract it. There are some requirements such as having followed the recommendations made by the Therapeutic Goods Association as to number of dosages including boosters and approved vaccinations. Please follow this link to read more about our COVID-19 cover and any requirements: external link . Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Pip M.
Pip M. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi
I’m travelling to Europe (Spain,France,Italy &Greece) from Melbourne. Will be overseas for five and a half weeks. Is this length of time fully covered please?
Does your policy cover Covid 19 or any pandemic should one be diagnosed prior to travel and have to cancel trip or catch Covid 19 or a pandemic while overseas?
I’ve never had any, touch wood :)
Does your policy require a minimum number of vaccinations prior to travel?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Pip. Thank you for your questions. Our single trip International Comprehensive policy can cover this length of trip and those countries you mentioned. It comes with COVID-19 cover should you contract it. There are some requirements such as having followed the recommendations made by the Therapeutic Goods Association as to number of dosages including boosters and approved vaccinations. Here is a link to our COVID-19 FAQs. external link .

Peter C.
Peter C. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

does ScTI cover Cuba?

Jamie R
Jamie R

Yes, Looking at the website It does provide a quote for Cuba.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Peter. Thank you for your question. Jamie is correct that if you can see it when getting a quote on our website, we can cover that country. However, at times there can be certain events that we would not cover if the government has released a level three (reconsider your need to travel) or four (do not travel) travel warning. Here is where you can check: external link ?
At the time of this reply there are none for Cuba but please check closer to when you travel. All the best, Matt@SCTI

Dani K.
Dani K. · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Hello. I want to buy international travel insurance with snow ski cover. I have read your PDS and can see that 'off-piste' is not covered - which is normal. However, I cannot find your definition of 'off-piste'. Some insurers state that off-piste is anything off a groomed run. Others state that it is anything beyond resort boundaries. Can you please provide your definition. Most resorts have 'cat runs' which link groomed runs, and ungroomed, skiable terrain within resort boundaries. I want to know we would be covered for that.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Dani. Thank you for your question. We consider off-piste as skiing or snowboarding in the backcountry on unmarked or unpatrolled areas either inside or outside of a ski resort’s boundary. This can include ungroomed black runs and designated ski areas/tracks.

Marg9987
Marg9987 · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Under an annual policy, is cruising included?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Marg9987. Yes, our Annual Mult-trip International Comprehensive policy provides cover for international cruises. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions, otherwise, all the best for you cruise.

Mani Bajwa
Mani Bajwa · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

I have written a couple of emails to info@scti.com.au, and still no reply. It seems this is the platform where I can expect response.

As I'm still waiting for a response to my email, which is much longer than expected. In the meantime, based on my last experience, I bought the policy prior to my travel. Whereby I had to pay for additional days for which I will return to Australia.
Please advise me on how the policy will cover me from when I return to Australia in early Jan 23 till my family returns later in the month (the cover period), as I have been charged the full premium for myself also.

Hopefully, I will receive a response soon.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Mani. Sorry for not providing a quick response to your email. We have sent you a response now, answering your question here as well as addressing your original email. We will be keeping an eye out for your email reply. All the best on your trip.

Pete
Pete · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Hello,
Just wondering if we are travelling with another couple (My sister and her Husband) on a Cruise to NZ and our booking is linked with Royal Carribean and the trip was intended we were travelling together. If one of us gets unwell and one couple has to cancel can the other couple cancel as well as This planned holiday was intended for all 4 of us. Janny

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Janny. Thanks for reaching out to ask this question. For those on the same policy, yes. For those on a separate policy, then only if the situation meets some additional requirements. You can read these in full on page 47. Essentially a traveling companion on a separate policy or a family member are what we term as a relevant person. Should a relevant person die, be admitted to a hospital, be put in end stage palliative care or be diagnosed with a terminal conditions/require radiotherapy or chemotherapy then yes you can claim on your policy for cancellation or changes to your journey.

Pete

Thank you Matt, I'm thinking my Sister and her hubby would be considered relevant person's as our cruise was intended to be together and part of the same cruise party.
More questions.... R/e Covid
Is Contracting covid on ship covered for all medical and if required evacuation?
Also e. g if I were diagnosed with covid before getting on ship and confirmed by a Dr, and our trip had to be cancelled can I and the travelling party /relevant person's claim any losses that is inccurred and not refundable up to the nominated amount.
Janny

Swinder
Swinder · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi I am currently rly overseas and my previous multi annual insurance has expired. Can I purchase a single trip insurance while overseas?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Swinder. I hope you trip is going well. I’m sorry but it is quite important that our policies are purchase prior to traveling so we have made this part of the eligibility. You could use these two websites to see if you can find a policy that doesn’t require you to be in Australia when purchasing. external link  or external link . Alternatively you may be able to find a visitor travel insurance from the country you are in.

Lee
Lee · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

Does this cover include Cruises

Yvonne
Yvonne

Mine doesn’t but I didn’t select cruises as an option

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Lee. Yes, our TravelCare policy includes cover for international cruises. For more information about our cruise cover, please see page 8 of the TravelCare policy wording.

Coco
Coco · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

(1) I am comparing a few travel insurance policies and most policies provide an exact Depreciation percentage for items that are lost/stolen. SCTI however just states 'Depreciation applies' without a percentage. Is someone able to confirm how the depreciation is actually calculated? There must be some information or data the depreciation is based on.
(2) Can I also confirm 'Other unspecified items (or pair or set of items) including related accessories' the cover amount is '$1,500 for each item'. Can I confirm this is not a total of $1,500 for items other than laptops or jewelry. My understanding is that the maximum paid for any 1 particular unspecified item is $1,500.
Coco

Patricia Cicolella
Patricia Cicolella

I have had a satisfying result with SCTI after a very stressful incident overseas. Please speak to one of their consultants, as I found them to be very honest and helpful.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Coco. Thank you for your questions. For depreciation, we have a table that we use to calculate the rate. Depending on the type and age of the item, different rates are applied. For laptops and mobile phones, we apply a depreciation rate of 30% for these items yearly.
You are correct about the unspecified item limits. Under our TravelCare policy, $1,500 is our current per item limit. Multiple items can be claimed up to the section limit of $25,000 for an individual policy or $50,000 for a family policy.
Both the rates and the policy cover amounts can be updated from time to time, so do check in with us again for future travels.
All the best, Matt@SCTI

Peter B. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I am travelling on a P and O UK ship from Sydney to Southampton in Feb 2023. P and O require travel insurance that provides unlimited cover for medical treatment and evacuation as a result of COVID. Does SCTI TravelCare policy provide these benefits as standard? Many thanks. Peter

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Peter. Thank you for your interest in our insurance. Yes, there is COVID-19 cover with our International comprehensive insurance. Unlimited for medical and up to $5,000 for changes to your journey. For more information on this cover and the requirements please see our FAQs: external link
All the best, Matt@SCTI.

Peter B.

Thanks Matt, good to know.

Lucille
Lucille · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

I am confused by Covid statement do you cover if you become unwell with covid

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Lucille. Yes, we provide medical cover and cancellation/changes to your journey cover as should you contract COVID-19 on our Innternational Comprehensive policy. However, there are requirements to this cover such as being fully vaccinated. You may find our COVID-19 FAQs helpful in understanding these: external link . Thanks, Matt@SCTI.

Wayne A.
Wayne A. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

do youcover for flight cancellation

May

I don’t think there’s a straight answer for this one. I think it’s a case on case matter.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Wayne. We have cover for flight cancellation in our International Comprehensive and Domestic policies. May is correct that it can also depend on why the flight was cancelled. You can check out the section “Cancelling or changing your journey before you leave” in the policy wording or get back in touch with us if you have any further questions about this.

Tassie
Tassie · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I'm travelling within Australia on a cruise and have pre flights and after flights & accommodation will all my travel be covered or just cruise, furthermore i cant select domestic cruise just domestic travel only when getting a online quote?

May

You can get the travel insurance two days before your departure which is what we did ☺

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Tassie. Thanks for taking a look at our policies for your domestic cruise! While our Domestic policy can cover your travel before and after your cruise, it isn’t designed to cover your cruise in Australia. Domestic cruise cover is something we are looking into, so be sure to check us out again for any future Australian cruises!

angie
angie · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I will be doing a cruise around New Zealand in December. I am 80 y.o. Do you do cover for someone like me?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Angie. Thanks for your question. Yes, we do have some cover that you could consider. Our international travel policy (TravelCare) not only can cover flights overseas but also cruises. If you are interested to see what it would cost, you can get a quote by entering some of your travel details on our website. Here is a link if you would like to take a look: external link

Kathie Kirsopp
Kathie Kirsopp · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Is excess on hire car covered in domestic travel insurance What is cover by travel insurance re car hire

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Kathie. Thank you for your interest in our domestic travel insurance. It does include cover for rental car excess. You will need to check that the rental car comes with vehicle insurance, and it is the excess or deductible that you will have to pay the rental company in the case of an accident or damage that we can cover. If you take a look at our policy wording online, page 54 covers everything about our rental vehicle excess cover.

Jack J.
Jack J. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Guys,
Just going through you policy pds and had a few questions,
1) it says under the handy check list it say "If you are admitted to hospital, need surgery, or need medical treatment you expect to cost over $2,000" we need to contact STCI for prior approval, does this also mean that if a medical cost of an emergency less than $ 2000 we don't need a prior approval and can just file a claim with the relevant documents?

2) Also, we are due to visit a country where they advise people to submit a online police report in case of a theft , crime etc? will this will be accepted by SCTI as we are due to travel in during a high tourist season and have been advised that its very difficult to fill a physical police report without giving bribes and people are encouraged to file a online report as per the police department of that city

Just wanted to make sure as we are going in the high tourist season

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Jack. Thanks for reading our policy and we are happy to help you understand it.
1) Yes, for medical situations where you are not admitted to hospital, need surgery or expect costs to be over $2000, you can to pay the costs yourself, keep a copy of the receipt and doctors notes and submit a claim afterwards. While you are welcome to call our emergency assistance in any situation, for the situations you referenced, we ask that you call us when possible.
2) Yes, that should be suitable so long as you are able to get a written report or email from them that shows you have reported it to a relevant official authority. This could be an airline, lost property desk etcetera, depending on where you are.
We hope you have a great time travelling and feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Shelley T.
Shelley T. · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

I am trying to obtain a quote for a cruise to New Caledonia in January. When I enter the destination in the required field nothing happens! Does this mean you don't cover cruises to New Caledonia?

Michelle V.
Michelle V.

I just got a quote for 27 November 2022 cruising to New Caledonia and Vanuatu so not sure what happened for you Shelley.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Shelley. Yes we can cover cruises to New Caledonia. When you are online and typing in your destination, suggestions should appear as you type. After entering “New”, New Caledonia should be the top suggestion.

Warners
Warners · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

For your domestic travel insurance, do you cover for COVID in the event of our bookings being cancelled (flights, rental vehicle, accommodation etc)?
Thanking you.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Warners. Our COVID-19 cover is mostly focused on covering should you contract COVID-19. This could then result in a cancelled trip or changes to your travel arrangements while traveling. It does not cover if a service provider cancels on you for COVID-19 related events affecting them.
Thanks, Matt@SCTI

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023, 2020, 2019 and 2018. Learn more

Visit Official Website