Sydney traveller

Sydney travellerSydney

Coronavirus coverage (will be travelling in July 2020 not yet traveled)

I booked a cruise last year for Norway to be taken in July 2020 and have not taken out travel insurance yet. So just wondering if SCTI or any travel insurance company are covering this issue. I understand if people have taken out travel insurance PRIOR to the notification of this virus will be covered, but what about people who have booked and wanting to take out insurance? If I take out insurance now and no one is covering COVID-19 then is there any use in taking it out, as there's so many exclusions the insurance company can cop out of.

DestinationEurope
Des

DesSydney, NSW

Absence of customer relationship concept

I have been a customer of SCTI for many years and purchased their Travel Insurance product every time I travel. My previous reviews have always rated them highly but unfortunately tgis time I am marking them down because tgey dont seem to reward loyalty. In other words no concept of relationship with customer. I have purchased their product many times and never ever made any claims. Yet, the premium keeps increasing every time I buy Travel Insurance. Surely they should recognise the loyalty and history of claims. Apart from this,In terms of service no complaints at all.

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Insurance Cover ForSenior
Graeme B

Graeme B

Reviews are somewhat pointless if you have not made a claim

I like SCTI (I've used it twice on overseas trips) because the process in terms of detailing pre-existing conditions such as diabetes prior to purchase is quick, easy and seems to be fair. I feel pretty comfortable that SCTI would be fair if I were to claim HOWEVER one really does not know exactly how fair or unfair until one is placed in that position. They asked me to review the insurance so I have BUT unless one has been through a claim process with SCTI it's all a bit pointless.

DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Graeme B, thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback, I'm glad that your experience with us so far has been positive. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Sam

Sam

Be alarmed -- Treatment is in public hospitals only as per policy -- Please check before you take out policy -

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
BLL

BLLSydney, NSW

don't over-estimate your holiday length - it will cost you.

took an 8 month comprehensive travel policy in 2018, as I was unsure how long I would be away and wanted to be prudent. In fact I returned after less than 5 months, and I had no need to make any claims of any kind (fortunately). I contacted SCT to enquire if a refund for the unused 3 months would be available. Initially i was told yes, and I was asked to provide proof through airline tickets of the early return, which I did. SCT then advised no refund would be available. Seemed rigid and unnecessary, and not good customer service. All my family have used SCT for long travels over the last years. Shame, as the product seems adequate, that goodwill was missing.

Gail M

Gail MBacchus Marsh

No Longer Value For Money

JaneF20

JaneF20Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I'll buy a more expensive policy next time

I had to make a claim for medical expenses due to a severe ankle sprain. SCTI covered the expense incurred while overseas, but my doctor advised that I needed physiotherapy on my return to Australia to regain the normal use of my foot. The need for physiotherapy was caused by the accident that was covered by insurance, but SCTI does not cover expenses paid for in Australia. Medicare does not cover physio costs, so I am considerably out of pocket for my rehabilitation. I'll be looking more carefully at the fine print of policies in future!

Therese

ThereseMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Didn't have to claim, so all was good....

Have used Southern Cross the last couple of times I have traveled. Prices are competitive, and easy to apply via the website. Have not had to make a claim, so can't comment on that.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Therese. Thanks for sharing your experience - it's great to hear your feedback. I'm pleased your recent trips have gone smoothly and you haven't had any reason to make a claim. Safe travels, Katie@SCTI

Maria

MariaPerth, WA

purchased SCTI but no claim

I purchased SCTI on line and it was easy and reasonably priced. I have used them three times now.
I appreciated their email on return home.
I feel a more accurate rating would be obtained if I had more dealings with them or if I had made a claim.

policy seemed Budget Priced

First time I have used SCTI
With the Royal Commission now going through the insurance sector at present
I would hate to have made a claim? The Industry seems to be tared with the same brush
My guess is that SCTI would have found some way of NOT paying any claim I may have made
Yes I did read the entire policy.
You need travel insurance as directed by DFAT to register for Smartraveller registration
That's the only reason I purchased it.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Bob. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm pleased your trip went smoothly and you had no reason to make a claim. Katie@SCTI

Carol

CarolBrisbane

Just lost me !

Very good

I the 5 months I was insured I traveled to several countries and enjoyed myself I'm going back to Thailand June 12th then off to Europe so will be looking to insure maybe 9 months Thank You.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Charlie. It’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your time overseas. Thanks for taking the time to review us. We look forward to covering your next trip.
Kind regards, Lusitania - SCTI

jb

jb

the good and the bad

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi jb. I'm very sorry to hear your wife needed emergency medical care on your trip and hope she made a speedy recovery. Your feedback is much appreciated and I'll pass it onto the team here at SCTI. All the best, Katie – Digital Media Manager

BVC

BVCPerth, WA

Medical Gotcha

Ianjam

IanjamPerth

OK but needs to be flexible and more understanding

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Ianjam. I've passed on your feedback to our Disputes Managers who are reviewing your claim. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Find out how Southern Cross Travel Insurance compares to other Travel Insurance

Excellent as long as I don't have to claim.

Have been with scti for many years and always find it good value for coverage, however we are still awaiting the only claim we have ever made to be adequately settled.

madmaax

madmaaxSydney, NSW

I had always been a big proponent- no longer!

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi madmaax. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I wish your partner a speedy recovery following the appendicitis. Katie – Digital Media Manager

Expensive to cover an existing medical condition

I have used SCTI for two previous trips without having to make a claim. Unfortunately since the last trip I have had to have a Coronary artery bypass graft even though I was showing no symptoms. For my latest trip the quote from Southern Cross is an additional $1342.66 to cover my pre existing condition. I shopped around and with answering the same set of question regarding my medical condition Covermore are covering me for the same pre existing condition for an additional $155. I have been impressed with the communicaton, rates and cover that Southern Cross offer and wanted to do business with them again but now unfortunately I can no longer afford to.

jay46t
jay46t

I would have thought that Western Europe is on the cheaper end of the scale . I will see what you can offer on my next trip.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Yes, it really does vary, but it's good that you're insured, even if it isn't with us this time. I hope you have a great time away! Regards, Katrina.

Billsie

BillsiePerth

Very disappointed and won't be using SCTI again

The policy was good value and easy to set up on line. The important test comes when making a claim. Unfortunately I booked a flight to Bali with Tigerair which was cancelled at short notice. I then booked another flight with Air Asia who charged me more than double the original fair. I tried to claim the additional cost from SCTI but they rejected my claim referring me to section 29 on page 10 of my policy. This excludes claims for 'Events related to a governmental or official authority directive'. This could be used to exclude just about anything. So consider this when using SCTI.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Billsie. So sorry to hear that we weren't able to cover your claim. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Great value, but be cautious of medical restrictions.

Not sure I would use again. But it was cheap. However after filling out an honest medical assessment i had an unreasonable restriction placed on me which could have been a problem.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi John. I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the outcome of the medical assessment. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

See all Southern Cross Travel Insurance reviews

barry sutherlandasked

please help have been ringing your office for 3 days been on hold for hours.Just need some reassurance .Leaving on 11-3-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have policy with you .would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland

barry sutherland

ringing for 3days holding for hours need some reassurance leaving on 11-03-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have a policy with you would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland ring 02 49283156

Bent O.

I am having a similar problem with a different company (I want to apply for insurance but their site is crashing). Obviously they are being hit by people panicking.
As you can already see they don’t now reply in this Review site but I did notice they have website updates. Suggest you check for alternate contact.

barry sutherlandasked

As above

Barry S.

Barry S.asked

As above

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

CategoryTravel Insurance
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimited
Loss of Income$6,500
Permanent Disability$25,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500 (as part of Travel Document cover)
Delayed Luggage $1,000 per person, $5,000 per journey
Credit Card FraudNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport $1,000
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptop, Tablet, or Camera)
Luggage & Personal Effects $25,000