Southern Phone Broadband

Southern Phone Broadband Questions & Answers (page 5 of 7)

NBN, ADSL, Mobile Broadband, Sky Muster

129 questions from our users

ChristyBasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I was a member of southern phones and have since transferred to another company. My account number was 568257 and I have just received a bill for $8.00. Can you explain whar this is for as I left your company in December 19th 2017. I already paid up the remainder of the last bill which was $62.23. Can you please make sure no further bills arrive? Let me know if I have to pay this bill as it is for fixed line rental which was supposed to be fixed up when I changed companies. Yours sincerely Christopher Butler

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

I am more than happy to look into this for you Christopher as it is important to be clear on what you are paying for. So I can look into your account, can you please send us a private message with your date of birth and best contact number. *Darian

ChristyB

Thank you Darian, How do I send you a private message please as I don't want everyone to know all my details?

Shirley C

Shirley Casked

Southern Phone Broadband

This is a petty question but since switching to Southernphone, the news.com.au site has moved over on the page and I can no longer access the x button to switch off. There are a couple of sites that have moved, and won't be changed. Any ideas?

Hi Shirley,
We would like to help you with this issue, we have already sent you a private message requesting your account and best contact details so we can discuss further.

Lucylu

Lucyluasked

Southern Phone Broadband

We are very worried about my recently widowed mother-in-law in Port Macquarie whose NBN account was supposedly switched on days ago.
Everything is in its proper place and we have travelled and waited for return phone calls from Southern. We waited for 12 hours yesterday before we had to give up and go home but we're assured this morning the service was on. There is only a longer than usual engaged signal - when it actually works at all.
The ADSL if it does come on is only intermittent...
This is this elderly woman's only contact with the outside world. She can't even order a taxi to go to the doctors and we are some distance away.
Can you please help.
Cheers
Lucy

Hi,

If you are still experiencing issues with your service after completing the above process, please contact us either by email to; info@southernphone.net.au, phone; 13 14 64 or live chat through our website.

Annie09asked

Southern Phone Broadband

Hi, I have moved about 1km to an area not covered by NBN. despite being told by Southern Phone before I moved that it was available. I am now told, after numerous phone calls and hours wasted, that it will cost me $360 at least to connect to the ADSL. and another $300 breaking of contract from NBN. I have a contract with Southern Phone, not NBN. IT is completely out of my control, I have not broken a contract, but your service to me has ceased. During One of my discussions with your rude, ignorant staff I was cut off from the call as the incompetent staffer couldn't answer my question and hung up in my ear..what are your suggestions for my resolve?

Hi,
We would like to investigate this matter further. If you could please email socialteam@southernphone.net.au with your account and best contact number so we can organise a team member to contact you.

Annie09

Hi ,it is obvious to me that you have my details and am wondering why you could not cut the complicated method of managing complaints by giving my details to your social team.

Mari

Mariasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Hi i have accidently changed the message center number could you please send me the southern phone message center number so i can re enter it?
Thankyou

Fred

The only number I use to contact Southern phone is the phone number 131464. You may be put on hold though!!Q

Hi Mari,

If you are working on the Telstra network the message centre number we use is, +61418706700 or on the Optus network it is, +61411990001. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 13 14 64 or alternatively via Live Chat through our website.

Judi

Judiasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I am getting so much unwanted spam emails and it's driving me mad. I can't send it to spam as some of the mail I need to receive is marked as spam and I don't want to risk not seeing as it can be bills or rego invoice. Is there any way I can change settings for anything I don't want to delete. I don't want to have to change my email address?

Hi Judi,

Depending on who your email provider is (i.e. gmail, yahoo, outlook etc.), you can block specific email addresses. You can always contact them for assistance on how to block the email addresses and any future messages from the blocked addresses will land in the spam.

Southern Phone Broadband

Has anyone found that speed testing with the site recommended by Southern Phone results in a totally different reading to that of all the other speed testing sites? It may be that my connection is the only one affected, but I doubt it. The speed test recommended by Southern Phone has caused me a significant delay in resolving my NBN problem and caused a lot of frustration. This has been reported to Southern Phone, by the way.

Hi,

We recommend speedtest.net (speed test by Ookla) to complete a speed test. This website has been accurate for our customers however, if you prefer you are welcome to use another speed test website. If you wish to review the speed test further, you can review the link below or speak to our team on 13 14 64.

Fred

Sorry do not have NBN and wonder whether I want it!

Andrew G

Andrew Gasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I have just connected my nbn box and don’t seem to have anything working. Any ideas?

Glenn W
Glenn W

Hello Andrew. Sorry but have no idea. We are on satellite broadband.

Hi Andrew,

There are a few different ways to connect your NBN equipment depending on the type of NBN connection you have at your premises. You are welcome to use the following link to review the set up guides for our different connections.

Alternatively, you can send us a private message here or via email to info@southernphone.net.au, including your account number and best contact number. You are also welcome to contact us by phone on 13 14 64 or you can speak to our technical team via Live Chat for assistance through our website.

Southern Phone Broadband

Has anyone experienced internet problems with Southern Phone due to CVC backhaul difficulties? Southern Phone don't have a system to allow me to contact their technical section directly. All contact must go through their main numbers and ensue a very long wait for response. I need to know if Southern Phone has ever solved anyone's backhaul problems and, if so, how. Southern Phone needs to improve their communications with customers quickly before signing up new customers..

FarQ
FarQ

If you want to be answered via phone do it via sales or accounts options, you will get straight through. When they transfer you, DO NOT hang up when told they will call back, your better off hanging for 15 or so minutes because my experience was, you never get a call back.

Hi,
Southern Phone Company manage our networks on a regular basis, which includes the capacity and congestion of the network. Our engineers and partners can review individual customers connections and make changes as required. You can contact our Customer Care centre on 13 14 64, via Live Chat or Facebook Messenger.

Southern Phone Broadband

Has any one else had Southern Phone request that they hire a technician to check the wiring of a new home before they will investigate and 70% decrease in download speed? If the technician find no problem with the wiring, does Southern Phone give compensation for the cost? They will not answer me when I ask them through their support officer.

Hi,
Our team advises customers to complete specific trouble shooting processes. If you have completed this with our team the results will indicate the need for private technician or a Southern Phone technician. So we can review this with you further and clarify any questions can you please send us a private message via email info@southernphone.net.au, with your account details and best contact number. Alternatively you can contact us by phone; 13 14 64 or live chat through our website.

marron07

No, Southern Phone will not compensate you for the cost of a technician, even if there is no fault found. Also, I have found out that Southern Phone no longer recommends the testing site they recommended at the beginning of the year. They use a more reliable one now. It might save someone else time when pursuing a fault if you have an accurate speed test reading to start with. We had to jump through an extra hoop because of faulty speed test readings. It would be good to have an apology, Southern Phone.

Whitenana

Whitenanaasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I am on a Mobile Plan with Southern Phone, but am very unhappy with the Phone they have sent me. It has never held a charge for very long, and is getting worse. One or two short calls is all I can hope for, before having to re-charge. At 77, with a dicky heart, I need to carry my phone with me at all times. Is there a way of getting a replacement, or what can you suggest? Gwen Schell. A/C No. 589632

Hi Gwen,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your mobile service. As you have advised you are experiencing issues with your mobile service please send us your best contact number either by email to; info@southernphone.net.au or live chat through our website. If you unable to send a message through please call us of an alternative service on 13 14 64, so we can assist efficiently as possible.

Val

I see Southern Phone have replied to your query and asked you to contact then. If they dont replace your phone, you should buy a new one.i always buy my phones outright. I don't like going on a mobile plan. My positive appraisal of SP had to do with my NBN bundle deal, not my mobile phone. If u have a computer, try to get onto their Live Chat page. It's a great way to communicate directly with them Good luck! :)

Honesty
Honesty

I dont know who you are Val but I see that you are a big fan of Southern Phone and yep you seem to show up on every forum lately. Your advise to Gwen is insignificant and has not helped her Beginning to think your posts are fakes

Jeremy B

Jeremy Basked

Southern Phone Broadband

How can I speed up my internet connection it is currently too slow to do anything work?

Hi Jeremy,

Have you completed a quick power cycle? This is turning the equipment off at the wall, leaving it off for 5 minutes and then turning it all back on. This just helps refresh the connection. If your speeds still appear slow, please check your landline service to ensure that there is a clear dial tone.

Take SP advice
I am not very technically minded. Mine is good enough just for my private use. I jhave just read where folded aluminium foil near modem helps increase your speed somehow. Ask Google? :)

Southern Phone Broadband

I've had an NBN connection with Southern Phone for almost 6 months. I have been on the slowest speed which seemed OK at first. Now at various times of the day my connection speeds only vary from 1 to 3 Mbps upload speed and a consistent 3 Mbps download speed. These are far below average. I've disconnected the modem as suggested, but the speeds are the same. Has anyone else experienced this sort of decline in speeds?

Brian Williamson
Brian Williamson

Thats exactly what happens to me. I'm on the 25Mbps speed and at times I'm lucky to get between 1 to 3Mbps. However , when I call customer service they just tell me to turn off my modem and wait 5 minutes.

Hi,
As you have completed the power cycle process, our team can assist further in troubleshooting your service. You can send an email including your account details and contact number to info@southernphone.net.au.
Did you know that Southern Phone have introduced an automated Call-Back system for our customers! You can take advantage of this system simply by calling our team on 13 14 64 and following the prompts.

marron07

I've done the turn off modem routine a couple of times and nothing changed. I'm also reluctant to ring them since I had problems before and ringing never resulted in anything but frustration.

angie

angieasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Is it compulsory to use NBN? I don't understand. BUT I do want to keep my landline. What's the deal?

Angie

Hi Angie,

Eventually the existing copper network will be switched off. This will happen at different times in different areas after NBN is connected in your area. If you want to continue having a fixed line at home, then you will need to have your home phone and internet service connected to the NBN network if you are NBN ready.

If you would like to discuss the NBN network and changing over, please call our team on; 13 14 64 and select option 2.

Alternatively you are welcome to speak to our team via Live Chat for assistance through our website (https://southernphone.com.au/). Our team is available from Mon-Fri from 8.00am - 8.00pm AEDT. You can also send an email using; info@southernphone.net.au.

Optus!

Optus!asked

Southern Phone Broadband

My land line is not working, how do l contact you? As l don't. Have a cel phone

Hi,
We would recommend that an Isolation Test is completed before we lodge a fault to avoid any possible Incorrect Call Out Fee charges from occurring.

An Isolation test is pretty simple to complete, you will just need to unplug all equipment from all the phone sockets in the premises - including line filters, modems, and faxes. Leave everything unplugged for 5 minutes then plug in a single CORDED handset if one is available. If you don’t have one, we would suggest trying your cordless handset on a working line, such as your neighbour’s or a friend.

Once a fault is lodged, it is our commitment to have your Service fully restored and working within 3 business days.

You can lodge a fault by copying the following link into your browser:

Alternatively you can speak to our Customer Service team via Live Chat for assistance through our website. Our team is available from Mon-Fri from 8.00am - 8.00pm AEDT.

Gemma K

Gemma Kasked

Southern Phone Broadband

My phone has no dial tone. ...how can I fix this?

Hi Gemma,

If your landline is not working we are able to report this as a fault for you. Before we report the fault, we request that you complete an isolation test. To complete an Isolation Test you need to unplug all equipment from all the phone sockets in the premises - including line filters, modems, and faxes. Leave everything unplugged for 5 minutes then plug in a single CORDED handset. If there is no corded handset test the cordless handset on a working line (eg the neighbour).

The reason you need to complete this is because if a technician attends and finds the fault is with your equipment and not on the line an Incorrect Callout Fee of $130 will be charged.

Once you have completed this, if the landline is still not working you will need to confirm if there is any dial tone or static on the line and your best alternate contact number when you call us on; 13 14 64 and lodge the fault.

Thank you.

Sandy D

Sandy Dasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Can I pay my bill at post office?

Macey J

Yes, you can pay your bill in person at the post office or by credit card with the number provided.

Hi Sandy,

You can use any of the following payments options to pay your bill, including at the Post Office.

In Person: At any Post Office by cash, cheque or credit card (excluding Amex and Diners). Please present your bill payment slip with your payment.

By phone: To pay by credit card, either: Call 1800 204 300 at any time to use our automatic payment system or call 13 14 64 between 8:00am-6:00pm AEST Monday-Friday to speak with an operator.

Online: Go to www.southernphone.com.au and follow the 'Pay my Bill' link.

By Mail: Please detach the payment slip on your statement and return it with your cheque to Southern Phone, 6 Page Street, Moruya NSW 2537. Please make cheques payable to Southern Phone Company.

Deeanne W

Deeanne Wasked

Southern Phone Broadband

when will you answer the phone???.

Hi Deeanne,
We are sorry that our wait times have recently been longer than usual. However, you do have the alternative of contacting our team via Live Chat through our website. Simply visit: https://southernphone.com.au/ and click on the 'Help' button found at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
You can also submit an online enquiry to: info@southernphone.net.au
Thanks for reaching out to us.

Anthony Waszkiewicz

Anthony Waszkiewiczasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Do any existing customers of Southern Phone - have any mobile phone problems?

Hi Anthony,
Have you completed a quick reboot of your mobile phone?
This is turning your phone off, taking the sim card out of the phone, Keeping your sim out for 5 minutes, placing the sim card back into the phone and turn it back on. This quite often rectifies many connection issues.
If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on; 13 14 64 and speak to our mobile support team.
Thanks.

Hello, my question was not answered, I have yet to activate my account, but from the reviews I have read, I am concerned that there are many problems with this company. As I am a pensioner 65yrs, I need a reliable mobile phone service only, (no internet) that will not cause me problems. My health is a concern if, I end up with an unreliable service, that could cause me greater stress than I need. Once again my question was not answered. This morning I phoned 13 14 64 and was put on hold for over 15mins, I ended hanging up.??? At this stage I will not activate my sim until I can be satisfied that Southern Phone service will be a good service.
thanks

Dear Anthony
l recommend Amaysim 400 minutes a month overseas calling, without internet with all your calls including interstate one bill, one price $25,88 per month you need an unlocked phone, available at Aldi or Woolworths. For internet activity,GPS., all calls $41 monthly with a number of gigabytes added to your phone. You have two choices.

Macey Jasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Does anyone know how I can contact Southern Phone to cancel my account?
No one answers the phone or responds to emails.
My modem does not work and I have had no internet service for almost one week
Really frustrated and angry as I am nearly finished my nursing studies and I still have assessments that I need to submit very soon.
I have had enough!
This is beyond a joke!
Can someone please help?

Aidan
Aidan

Just explain on here the service , or lack of service Southern Phones has provided you.Its amazing how fast they respond when in the public forum :)

Vinnie
Vinnie

Just cancel and find another provider, I strongly recommended Aussie Broadband and then go to the TIO about Southern Phone

Franklin

I am sorry for your pain,we were in great pain too, In sheer frustration emailed our Telecommunications Ombudsman otherwise known as tio to us a huge relief,and still ongoing but getting results, On Product Review found & switched to Mate Communicate, no contract, no shaping, ozzie employees, very happy with their Telstra service while our kind Ombudsman is sorting out Southern Phone and was okay with the switch,further on a paper bill if you can check yours the $2.20 fee is illegal, each paper bill I had before I went online billing, there were areas of billing for different amounts in the make up of each bill on page 3, I requested our Ombudsman to ask Southern Phone in writing to please explain each of the several items I need answers to, recently a bill came online pay now and on the billing giving a Dec due date, then a phone call came to say they would waive that too.
Earlier I was to be fined for early closure of a 2 year contract we argued about,then they changed their mind if I kept the modem, a $350 fee that appeared to change to $150 was waived it appears once received back that would be waived too, the 1st Modem died like yours, so sent back, a 2nd modem now saying no charge it appears, I said what about the illegal $2.20 paper bill fee, reply::"You have that," well I want proof of that, 6 days dead internet receiving Yes Optus 3 sms's " not enabled or available" came 17/11/2017 land line was DEAD all that time. We did not get the service we paid for and the back up was unsatisfactory, I say why hang people to a long contract with a hopeless service.
Our mobile service is 5* with Amaysim for years, approx $26 a month, no contract, inclusive all National and 400 mins.,International calls, with internet on your mob approx $41 monthly, You have No Internet, I go into mobile phone Settings, tap, look for internet sharing, tap, open up, look for rectangle box tap it, it will turn blue, say on,leave your mobile phone close to your laptop or desk top, you will have internet by Wifi, we managed with that Wifi till our new provider got on board - hope this is of help to you and you can still receive in bound calls and do out bound calls at the same time.
Kind regards