Southern Phone Broadband

Southern Phone Broadband Questions & Answers (page 6 of 7)

NBN, ADSL, Mobile Broadband, Sky Muster

130 questions from our users

Macey J

Macey Jasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Does anyone know how I can contact Southern Phone to cancel my account?
No one answers the phone or responds to emails.
My modem does not work and I have had no internet service for almost one week
Really frustrated and angry as I am nearly finished my nursing studies and I still have assessments that I need to submit very soon.
I have had enough!
This is beyond a joke!
Can someone please help?

Aidan
Aidan

Just explain on here the service , or lack of service Southern Phones has provided you.Its amazing how fast they respond when in the public forum :)

Vinnie

Just cancel and find another provider, I strongly recommended Aussie Broadband and then go to the TIO about Southern Phone

Franklin
Franklin

I am sorry for your pain,we were in great pain too, In sheer frustration emailed our Telecommunications Ombudsman otherwise known as tio to us a huge relief,and still ongoing but getting results, On Product Review found & switched to Mate Communicate, no contract, no shaping, ozzie employees, very happy with their Telstra service while our kind Ombudsman is sorting out Southern Phone and was okay with the switch,further on a paper bill if you can check yours the $2.20 fee is illegal, each paper bill I had before I went online billing, there were areas of billing for different amounts in the make up of each bill on page 3, I requested our Ombudsman to ask Southern Phone in writing to please explain each of the several items I need answers to, recently a bill came online pay now and on the billing giving a Dec due date, then a phone call came to say they would waive that too.
Earlier I was to be fined for early closure of a 2 year contract we argued about,then they changed their mind if I kept the modem, a $350 fee that appeared to change to $150 was waived it appears once received back that would be waived too, the 1st Modem died like yours, so sent back, a 2nd modem now saying no charge it appears, I said what about the illegal $2.20 paper bill fee, reply::"You have that," well I want proof of that, 6 days dead internet receiving Yes Optus 3 sms's " not enabled or available" came 17/11/2017 land line was DEAD all that time. We did not get the service we paid for and the back up was unsatisfactory, I say why hang people to a long contract with a hopeless service.
Our mobile service is 5* with Amaysim for years, approx $26 a month, no contract, inclusive all National and 400 mins.,International calls, with internet on your mob approx $41 monthly, You have No Internet, I go into mobile phone Settings, tap, look for internet sharing, tap, open up, look for rectangle box tap it, it will turn blue, say on,leave your mobile phone close to your laptop or desk top, you will have internet by Wifi, we managed with that Wifi till our new provider got on board - hope this is of help to you and you can still receive in bound calls and do out bound calls at the same time.
Kind regards
J Franklin

Kimasked

Southern Phone Broadband

How do this work? Im new to this an really need help with engine phone. The phone calls my partner makes is dear as im wondering if yous guys can help with something like cheaper phone calls. Please get bk to me asp.

Hi Kim,
Thanks for reaching out. If you wish to discuss signing up a service with us, please call our Sales team on; 13 14 64 and select option 2 for the best assistance.
Thank you.

Kim

Thanks so much will have to do that asp

Hector H

Hector Hasked

Southern Phone Broadband

We have the 25 Mbps NBN connection that is usually very slow when 3 people are connected to the internet on wifi.
Could this be a problem with the cheapish modem that comes with the Southern Phone package ???

kim
kim

Hi Hector H, I'm signed up for the 100GB n 25Mbps. We don't used internet as often, but what we have experiencing since we signed on is: the internet is very fast throughout the day. But , I like to streams movies on my days off ,that is either on weekday or weekend. Streaming during the day up to around 6pm is smooth but anytime after that is slow and does gets annoying. My friends told me they experienced the same problem with streaming around 7pm to 9pm as thats the peak hour and they are not with Southern Phone. hopes this answer your question. :)

Hi Hector,
Have you completed a quick power cycle? This is turning the equipment off at the wall, leaving it off for 5 minutes and then turning it all back on. This just helps refresh the connection.
If you are still having issues we would recommend that you contact our technical support team directly on 13 14 64 and then select option 1 to speak to our technical team who can review your service.
Alternatively you can speak to our technical team via Live Chat for assistance through our website. Our Technical Support department is available from Mon-Fri from 8.00am - 6.00pm AEDT.
Thanks.

Beverley C

Beverley Casked

Southern Phone Broadband

I have an older Alcatel phone which i got from southern phones ,i want to use this phone again for some else i have charged up the battery but i have forgotten how to turn the mobile on,i want to lend this Alcatel phone to a visitor from the Phillipines could she receive calls from that country and what is the best plan ,sorry about the long question but the southern phone line wont connect

Hi Beverly,
We would love to be able to assist with your handset, however will require some further details. If you could please email us at info@southernphone.net.au with your account details and enquiry, we will be in contact with you to assist further.

john P.

john P.asked

Southern Phone Broadband

How do I set the amount of tomr I have to answer a call?

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi John, there are a few ways to extend the ring time, and this depends on the type of service that you have. For further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Team via Live Chat on our website, contacting our Call Centre on 13 14 64 or via email to info@southernphone.net.au. Thanks.

Cindy

Cindyasked

Southern Phone Broadband

i disconnected with southern phone and went with dodo 2months ago because as an online fulltime student southern could no longer provide any service internet wise! I spent all of semester one frustrated and anxious and am still waiting to hear from university what my penalty will be if any. So I disconnect after going through the ombudsman because they never answered emails or phone for 2.5months and it took a total of 5months to disconnect and break contract without penalty..and guess what...? I now have been billed twice for past two months a total of 450 when I'm meant to be disconnected? so I ring them up and she says no I cant see that,,oh wait,,yes ill get the TIO to call u back...im still waiting..DO NOT TRUST THEM

Deb S

That is exactly what is happening 2 me,I feel like during them 4 the anxiety they r causing me. Just going 2 return the bills

Emma

Emmaasked

Southern Phone Broadband

My husband spoke to someone over 6 weeks ago and we are still waiting for nbn to be connected. My husband has been sitting on hold for the last two days and then when he spoke to someone today, they could not help him and could not outline if anyone has been out to connect nbn. After reading all these comments I don't think it is worth having nbn with Southern Phone. I am assuming that the verbal agreement my husband made over the phone can be voided due to incompetent customer service and lack of action taken with our request?

Francis
Francis

If they have not kept their side of the bargain then you can terminate the agreement

smelly

Contact your Ombudsman. I feel your pain!

DVD lover

DVD loverasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Wondering if anyone can advise to do about southern phones!? As mentioned the Internet never works but it is impossible to get hold of Anyone so I can't get it fixed! I need the Internet and can't wait any longer, was anyone else able to get their issue resolved somehow? Can you just sign up with another provider Even thigh your technically with them?

smelly

Contact your Ombudsman. Southernphone seem to bee a bunch of nonproviders. I feel your pain. They obviously arent interested in customer service. Hopefully their lack of attention catches up to them and they go broke. CARMA!

Deb S

I just transferred my phone 2 a prepaid one after mths of waiting 4 nbn 2 be connected, had 2 go thru ombudsman n received a refund after disconnecting but still getn bills Wrote 2 Sthern n that didn't work either.Speaking 2 their rep made me realise how thick they r

Vinnie

Go to the TIO and get rid of this no good company, they are great at selling you a service and then customer service, or lack of is awful, the staff seem very young and untrained, you can never speak with a manager, one male staff member told me when I got through to them after 30 min wait thatthey find it hard to get staff as the wages are extremely low! WONDER HOW MUCH THE GM IS ON?????????????????

Guilaine

Guilaineasked

Southern Phone Broadband

checking if NBN if available at my address on your website I find that it isn't available, but I am being charged $50 a month for NBN by you. The service is incredibly slow when it works we can not connect to iview, we can not work from home we can not use Netflix which we are paying for monthly. We have had to use our mobile phone internet which is expensive.
This is an ongoing issue since at least December 2016.
We are paying you for a service you are not provide. We can not use other services we are paying for. What can/are you do about this??
When will it be fixed??
We need to know the answer to the questions above ASAP so we can cancel services we can not use.
Kind Regards

Craig
Craig

This is an easy one to answer.....they couldnt care less!!! You will get no help from them. They are disgraceful

George23
George23

If you are on a contract then I suspect they will do nothing. If the service is not to a reasonable standard and you have called them about it and they did nothing. Time to move to a provider that looks after their customers. If they will not let you out of the contract you may need to call the ombudsman for help.

Melissa

Melissaasked

Southern Phone Broadband

We have lost internet for 2 days, and though initially contacted southern phone through live chat, now the whole website is down. We rely heavily on our connection for work. Could someone from southern phone please contact us immediately to rectify the problem - 0401818691?

Judi Hosking
Judi Hosking

Good luck. I have just spent 6 hours waiting on Southern Phone's technical support line as I had several issues to discuss with them. The phone drops out and then I have to call back again, waiting, waiting, waiting. Finally got to speak to someone and he told me what to do to check why my line was dropping out all the time. When I went on to ask him about my other issues one of which was my download speed he said I could increase it for $30 and no other after costs involved and when I asked him what the speed would be it was 4 Mbps less than I have now!!!! He also went on to tell me I was using the incorrect Email and to use Southern Phone's Webmail. Go there and you are told it is an unsecure site!! Seriously thinking of changing my provider.

Cathy R

Cathy Rasked

Southern Phone Broadband

My husband received an Onix phone and Sim Card. We tried to activate this Sim Card and it would not work. He rang Southern phone and they told him it must be faulty, so they would post out another Sim Card. He has received this Sim Card and has activated it. However, he recently received his monthly bill from Southern Phone and has been charged $20 for the 2nd Sim Card. Should he be charged for this, since the 1st Sim Card was faulty. I believe he shouldn't have to pay the $20.00 . Can you please let me know. Also, if you were to break a 24 month contract, how much do you have to pay to get out of it. He is on a $17 a month plan, so would it be $408 and would you also have to pay a Break of Contract fee - How much extra is this? Would you just bill us for this final amount?

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi Cathy, I can confirm that if the first SIM Card was faulty than we will definitely waive the $20.00 SIM Replacement Fee. So that we can assist you further with this, can you please send us a private message or email info@southernphone.com.au with your account and contact details. Thanks.

Glenys

Glenysasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Why does it take so long for southern phones to respond to my emails? I am having problems getting connected, each time I try for live chat I am on a very long waiting line, phoning is no different, starting to regret switching from Telstra

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi Glenys, I apologise that you have had trouble reaching our support team recently. We are experiencing an influx of contact into our Call Centre and this has led to longer than usual wait times. We are currently making changes within the business, including updating our phone system and hiring more staff to ensure that we can deliver a high level of service to our customers and make sure you don’t have problems contacting us in the future. So that we can assist you further, can you please send us a private message or email info@southernphone.com.au with your account and contact details. Thanks.

Bec

Becasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Is there a problem with getting through to a customer services person?
Have been calling for days at all different times and keep getting a message saying call between office hours mon-fri 8am till 8am. I called yesterday at 4pm and were told by the recording that the sales side was closed! Then to leave a message only to be disconnected.

Rocciraccoon
Rocciraccoon

The short answer is yes, although even if you sometimes get through, you will not find out what that problem is. The official line is that they are a victim of their own success, and are putting more operators on, but this accessibility problem has been happening for months with no improvement that I can see. My theory is that the NBN is such a disaster, everybody's complaining.

Puddles
Puddles

Hi Bec
If I hang on long enough I eventually get through. Only to be told that the support section is no longer open & they are meant to be open till 8pm every night Mon - Fri.
When I question the staff as to why they are not there when they should be there till 8pm, they are unable to give me an explanation..

Pete

Peteasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I received a replacement phone from you last week and have been trying to activate it by your automated service but it tells me the SIM card is invalid. WHY?
I have tried to contact you by phone and have waited from No 76 to No9 when you pulled the plug on me. This is the 5th time I have attempted to contact you by phone without ANY success. I have now been without a mobile phone for more that a month, I trust I will not be charged for that period.
Peter Wilson. A/C No 526894 Tel No 02 43690776. pnwilson@ozemail.com.au

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi Peter, we have reviewed your account and can see that your new SIM Card was activated on Monday 17/04/2017. If your handset is still showing 'invalid SIM', we do recommend completing a reboot - remove the SIM for up to 5 minutes and reinsert. Thanks.

Rickasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Hi, i'm trying to help my father in law who unfortunately is with Southern Phone. Main issue he is having is trying to set up his mail settings,he can receive emails but not send any. He gets an error message on his ipad which says sender address was rejected by the server. The outgoing host name we are using is southernphone.atmailcloud.com & ive tried using the various port no's. Has anyone else had this issue, what is the correct outgoing host name? Any help would be appreciated.

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi Rick, the outgoing server details does depend on a few factors. So that we can assist you further, can you please send us a private message or email info@southernphone.com.au with the account and contact details. Thanks.

Hi
my account is 217998 phone 0260596298 mob. 0409445007
I am also unable to download Outlook in Office 365 on my PC when sending a test in Outlook it shows the following.
Send test email message: Cannot send the message.Verify the email address in your account properties.The server responded:550Rejected-account suspended due to
abuse-please contact support.

brian

brianasked

Southern Phone Broadband

How can I contact you by phone? I have been on my phone to you for 82 minutes ac 178342

Bob

Just keeping waiting...........Once you have got through it will take another hour or so to get technical services. That's been my experience. At least Southern Phone has changed its awful music to a bunch of brainless beeping noises that seem to make a little tune, which makes a change.

Good luck.

Von

Vonasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Are Southern Phone allowed to physically remove a Telstra cable when you attempt to connect to NBN with them? Their solution to solving the problem so many others here have had that once the NBN was installed, no landline and no intelligent tech support so solve it was to choose another provider. When trying to revert back to Telstra they told us that their line has removed.

Is this even legal?

What other options do we have as it will now cost $230 to get NBN connected with Telstra or $300 to re install another Telstra cable to revert back to the original arrangement for the landline.

John Tait

I'm sorry, I really have no idea. Perhaps post your question to Whirlpool (forums.whirlpool.net.au).
There are a number of lucid technocrats who might be able to answer your question.
Cheers.

-p
-p

they just leave the old phone line there. you can revert to who ever but they charge the early termination fee. ring the ombudsman / fair traiding. The old land line will be terminated in the near future my old line got squashed when they put the nbn box in at the front of the joint

0411168156asked

Southern Phone Broadband

why was southern phone great for a while and now nothing? cannot even get through to them , you wait for hours, going to cancel out and get a service more reliable, really peed off, my seniors phone is cap anyway it only rings 3 times and then cancels out. from canceling out customer, janicejohnvandersluys@outlook.com

John Tait

We have been with Southern Phone for over 9 years. The telephone, internet and billing has always been OK.
Latterly, say over the last 18 months, my opinion is that the telecommunications sector is booming, particularly NBN services.
Being based in Moruya NSW, I suspect they have difficulty recruiting and retaining staff.
I mean who'd want to work in a call centre speaking to a large number of rude, discourteous and stupid customers?
Calls to their 131464 number are overloaded but the caller is apparently not charged for the call (please check this).
David Joss the Managing Director clearly has not rung his own number as an anonymous caller to see how his company Southern Phone performs.
Documentation to customers and information cheat sheets to the call centre operators are not corrected or updated.
However, in fairness to SP, ALL telecommunications companies are pretty poor in customer service. Over-promising and under-delivering.
Hope this note of my thoughts, somewhat tempers your frustration. ;-))

Bazzasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I am really stuck, I have No Phone, No Internet, I signed for the NBN and all that has happened so far is, I have lost my ADSL2 service. If southern Phone are unable to provide the service they committed too, can I go elsewhere?

Steve
Steve

Run,, Run,, Run As FAST As You Can,,, SP is an ongoing Nightmare, They Will DrainYour Resolve And Frustrate You

Bazz

You are right Steve....They are.

Rozasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I cannot get any service from Southern Phones. How do I stop the so called non existent service so I can go elsewhere?

acs
acs

Start here: https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint and file a complaint. Also, let the media know. They will see the story here and I truly believe that will be the one thing that wakes this company up (or sends it under) and frees us all.

Andy
Andy

You are in a contractual relationship. You need give SS an opportunity to perform. You need to send email complaints setting out precise details of SS breaches. At a certain point after repeated opportunities to perform without performance you are entitled to terminate for want of performance or total effective repudiation of the contract by SS. DEMAND compensation: damages, 4 months free SS connexion, $80 for the fee of a new ISP. Don't settle for a mere empty apology from the lowest rank in the company: the person who answers the phone. Send your complaint to David Joss the managing director. You need to wear then out to the point where they too are glad to get rid of you. But will your next teleco be better? Settle for 3-6 m free connexion. Your next teleco may be worse. I know, i am a refugee from 2-3 hr calls to India with endless lies - with OIpus. Only after I starting writing to the Optus CEO did i get some real attention here in Oz then 6 m free Optus - then good bye Optus only to now run into incompetent Southern Phone who clearly have had no nouse to plan for expansion. Andy

Roz

Still no internet. I have had a response in that they said try to connect directly to the modem. Did that and no joy. Responded to them this fact and that my grandchildren could not connect yesterday while visiting and no reply. Getting a bit sick of it for sure. I would never go with them again and am thinking it might be easier to just pay out my contract and get another provider.

Get an answer from our members and Southern Phone representatives