Southern Phone Broadband

Southern Phone Broadband Questions & Answers (page 7 of 7)

NBN, ADSL, Mobile Broadband, Sky Muster

129 questions from our users

Fionaasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Is this company going under? Something is really wrong here. I had heard good things about them in the past. Maybe the staff sense this and are demoralised and/or the best have left??? Any body else got ideas re this idea?

Lee
Lee

Not an answer, but yes, that's my feeling Fiona. The "we've been inundated & are trying our best to manage" reasons provided just don't cut it from a large company who would / should have the infrastructure in place, or at very least the ability to mobilise it quickly in times of need. The Linkedin profile of Southern's MD describes him as a 'commercially driven senior executive in charge of strategy & execution'. Commercially driven? Perhaps, they may be making money right now, but it is at the expense of customers who have been left in need. Commerce relies on repeat business & at the heart of repeat business is customers receiving & continuing to receive a service they value. A very short term approach. Strategy? Perhaps it sounded like a good decision in the boardroom but the helpless Southern team at the coalface is now managing the fallout. Execution? There may be some requests from the public gallery judging by the feedback on this forum :)) but in a business sense, execution is sadly lacking here. My question would be when did he come on board? Something is seriously wrong. I hope it changes for Southern before it is too late - the concept & original ideal was a good one.

Fiona

Thank you for your acknowledgement validation, and added information Lee. I thought S.P. was a not for profit set up to help country and regional people? I've started work on complaints process -merry-go-round so far.

Just Jude
Just Jude

We went with Southern Phone in 2011 because of it's reputation with some of our friends, and because of the following taken straight from their web site.
"We were formed in 2002 after receiving $4.77 million in funding from the Australian Government’s Networking the Nation scheme. Our vision was to deliver more affordable telecommunications services to regional communities and to share our success with those communities. Under our Constitution, only Australian Local Government Councils can hold shares in Southern Phone Company Ltd. Our dividends are paid to our Local Government shareholders and used for the benefit of their local communities.
We now serve a national customer base, from Cape York to Zeehan, from Bega to Broome. We provide more than 130 jobs at our Moruya (NSW) head office and we’ve returned millions of dollars to regional communities since we declared our first dividend in 2009. " Southern Phone Company Ltd is an unlisted public company and only Local Councils can be shareholders. This means all profits are returned to the community through the Local Councils. No individuals may own shares in the Company".
We have had no trouble until the beginning of this year and then 'All Hell has let loose'. Southern Phone is certainly in disarray, particularly with their customer service. While the new Managing Director has a lot to answer for, some basic human respect as opposed to rude, arrogant, condescending technicians and customer service personnel would go a long way to soothing ruffled feathers.

pssd off

pssd offasked

Southern Phone Broadband

when are you going to contact re internet speed, paying $80 mth for NBN 25/5 & a pigeon can transfer info quicker

Joe

This company will bend you over for as long as they can while they reach in your pocket and take as much as they can. LEAVE NOW. So I had literally the same issue as you were my speeds were less than 10% that were advertised and my old ADSL was way faster.

Step 1: Record you the speeds and save them, they will ask for this so they can prolong you and screw you over longer so you might aswell have it ready. I sent mine in and no one even looked or attached it to my account...
Step 2: Tell them what you want and how you want it and do not change, be aggressive and stubborn. Their job is to swindle you to pay the extreme exit contract fee. DO NOT PAY!
Step 3: File an official complaint after they juggle you around for hours promising the world and how they will have a technician out to fix your satellite in no time only to have him come and have the orders to move the f**king dish to a new location!
Step 4: Wait for them to hastily call you back nearly immediately after they receive the formal complaint as its really the only way to get in contact with them.
Step 5: After they weasel their way around it all and screw you over for even longer, re-file your complaint with exactly what you want, which is way the F**K OUT!
Step 6: REPEAT steps 1-5 until you are free.
Step 7: Sweet release! Join a proper ISP.

P.S My preference is Barefoot Telecom as they fit with my situation and have no contract or fees at all, just the 1 internet bill that you pay each month, 1 month at a time. Also the speeds are great and the customer service with them is perfect, but I'd say most of the high ranking ISP's on this page are good. I literally rang up on a Monday afternoon and was connected by mid day Tuesday. Also buy your own modem the ones most ISP's offer are trash for any person using more than emails.

jules

julesasked

Southern Phone Broadband

hi connected to nbn today .I'm using 1 cable from nbn to my Dlink modem and a cable from Dlink modem to comp
I did a speed test and these are the results.Line speed=9.64mbps and down load speed 1.20mb/s
I'm getting 200 gigs a month .
Is this right with the speeds? thank you

Joe

It depends on what you are paying for and what time you did your speed test and if you used their recommended sight. In my experience with southern phone they make you use their own speed test sight which gives very poor information as sometimes you connect to servers in Victoria which is useless. Also at peak times the speeds for me dropped to next to nothing.

shelly31asked

Southern Phone Broadband

we have been with sp for many years we no props until the nbn i can't take my laptop to our bedroom or our rec room which is under the house frustrated can anyone help me? do i need certain cables ( im a novice with all this )

kennygee
kennygee

Check airplane mode is off, laptop is wireless compatible,NBN router is working as should be for wireless.

tony

Have to agree with Kenny, dont have a problem with my laptop or tablet when i move from room to room,note, we are fibre to the node so not sure if that means anything.

shelly31

thank you so much it took me awhile it was on airplane mode thank you thank

sammy

sammyasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Any one else had issues with nbn and delays getting a modem from these guys after mhm has been installed?

Sandy
Sandy

Sorry no NBN in my area yet so I can't help. In all areas other than good deals (plans) I've found SP fantastic. Am amazed at some of the negative feedback here.

RosieA
RosieA

Nope I got mine in double quick time and it works great. I too have found Southern phone great, I'm also shocked at the negative feedback. After having been with Optus and Telstra previously, I've been with Southern phone for many years now.

Dez
Dez

I've been with Southern Phone for over 6 years without problems until NBN made their local connection on the 26th September 2016 at which point, I lost my internet and landline connection. Unfortunately, Southern Phone were pathetic with their promises and services - the result being I was without any reliable NBN service until mid-November. Even though I had ordered an NBN bundle from Southern Phone two months before the NBN connection, it seemed to me that Southern Phone were completely unprepared for the NBN. I have complained twice by letter to the Managing Director, David Joss and haven't even received an acknowledgement. Mr Joss was appointed 1st July 2016. My experience under his stewardship has been very unsatisfactory. Even now, I am still having problems with their billing.

trev tullz

trev tullzasked

Southern Phone Broadband

How long does delivery take?

Sean Harris

did you figure it out how long it does actually?

Sean Harris

did you figure it out how long it does actually?

pat

patasked

Southern Phone Broadband

does anyone know to do anything on my side to improve the wireless service from southern phones like changing settings on the computer to help get a better service from they wireless internet service thanks -pat

Hugo
Hugo

Product reviews dont look good .hope i havn.t signed up with a pup !guess i shall contact the ombudsman

Jesssssssss!

Jesssssssss!asked

Southern Phone Broadband

Hey Guys! I'm with southern phone and honestly hate it! I was just wondering, with the contract, can I pay a fee to get out of the contract? Or am I stuck with them? And I reckon my iPhone 5s I got from them will break down soon, and I don't want to be stuck paying for a phone that doesn't work.

Farmer Fred
Farmer Fred

Southern actually offered to break the contract themselves, based on them not being able to deliver a reliable service and us making a nuisance of ourselves to them. Maybe try being their biggest PIA and you might win

SD
SD

I had a similar experience, signed up contract for NBN, under their 'you are being recorded' statement rubbish. It was fraught with danger... may be good customer service in that you speak to a real person... However with Southern Phone I would rather speak to an automated message or call centre, as I feel they would actually listen. Anyway... I contacted them the same day to cancel the contract, I just was not confident with the whole process. Very rude guy who obviously wanted us off the phone ASAP so he could get his commission.
I wrote an email trying to get then to put in writing to cancel, no response. I rang, then rang again and again asking them if the order had been cancelled, after speaking with about 6 different people, and getting different answers each time, and recording the date and time, who I spoke with and what they said to me each time... I finally got one of SP's people to let me know that the order had been cancelled. Promptly recorded date, time, name of person I spoke with.
Yes being a PIA worked on that occasion. !

tony

Hi Jess, one of the samsung phones that i recieved was a bit dodgy but SP replaced it after 1 phone call,have found SP to be a great telco do do business with for the past 7 years.

garyasked

Southern Phone Broadband

Do Southern Phones send out a copy of your contract?

G. Michael
G. Michael

Hi Gary,yes they do and a monthly statement w all calls and charges,tx Greg

gary

I have not as yet received a contract 3 or 4months later.i was supposed to get the Internet through southern but that didn't happen.still getting bills from Telstra ,so going to stay with Telstra,southern phones need to get their act together .

Nat
Nat

Hi Gary, no you do not get a contract, you get a welcome letter telling you what plan you are on etc, however their contracts are recordings, not hard copied.

Get an answer from our members and Southern Phone representatives