Verifiedsouthernphone.com.au

30% · 69157 · 67%

hanger7
hanger7

Only trying to Activate a SIM, Have Lodged with Telecommunications Ombudsman

I'd love to give zero, my 84 yo neighbour has simply been trying to call them to activate a SIM. 45 min ++ wait every day for the past 10 days and the line simply drops out around 30 minutes. STAY AWAY.

Chris H
Chris HCastlemaine

Private Comment
Private Comment

Used to excellent but now very very shoddy

Their phone lines and email links online have been out for over 6 weeks lately and impossible to contact them.

Their customer service system is run by people who sound as interested and sincere as my pet gerbil.

They were excellent once upon a time but now worse than average. If you are reading this because you are thinking of using them I'd say there are plenty of other people offering more than they are AND who are contactable when you have a problem.

These people have gone way past their use by date.

Sal
Sal2 posts

Take money, no service

NBN is unreliable and non existent for days. Changes requested to my account never happen. Waiting time today alone is now in excess of 2 hours. Still no result. After no reliable access to NBN they are now charging me excess for mobile data, because of course, I have gone over limit. Southern will lock you into a contract, not provide the service they promise, then won't answer the phone when you call. My recommendation is if you are reading this review and are considering Southern, don't. If you are with them and can't contact them, call the Telecommunications Ombudsman. They have no right to charge for services they can't provide and for not following up on requested changes. Bad, bad, bad service.

Dynon2 posts

Time to give up your whole services

been waiting almost two months just to get internet and still nothing enough with the poor service im honestly surprised you even have this many costumers this is happened before i cannot wait for this contract to end so i can move on to better, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SOUTHERN PHONES

Dynon

i repeat do not waste your time

Steve
SteveCampbelltown

Absolute Garbage Phone Company...Avoid

Over half an hour wait every time to speak with somebody, was put on a plan i didn't ask for, didn't answer emails. Have been with them over 6 years, time to get out... if i could. Not good enough. Avoid at all costs...

Southern Phone   DM

Hi Steve, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your account. I have sent you a message with your account and contact details and we will contact you to discuss your account.

disappointed
disappointed

Kate
Kate4 posts

Contacting the ombudsman

Have tried to contact this company for days with no return call. Have emailed constantly with no reply. We have contacted the ombudsman regarding how horrible this company its service it. Our internet works 2 out 10. Never have service so pretty much paying for a service we can't even use. Do not use this company.

Geoff B
Geoff BCanberra8 posts

Not honouring a phone warranty

I purchased a mobile phone through Southern phone 18 months ago and the phone came with a 2 year warranty in the original Samsung box. However, recently the phone was loosing excessive charge when turned off and after several calls with Samsung Australia, they advised me to go to my place of purchase to get my phone checked under warranty. When I called Southern Phone they advise that the warranty was by Samsung and not them so they refused to help me. Be aware of this when you look to purchase a phone as part of a plan with Southern Phone!

shorty
shortyTin Can Bay2 posts

Took Me 37 days to actually get in contact with someone for them to hang up on me

I have never been so disappointed in a phone company i have been with them for years now they are no different to the other company. It took me 37 days to get someone to answer the phone for them to hang up on me. After days of trying and no respond to there emails as well. She wouldn't listen to me just kept talking over me.Then hung up on me.

jami
jami2 posts

WORST customer serive

rang up because my data was barred from no fault of my own. put on hold for 45 minutes, lady answered phone so rudely, laughed when i didnt know my mobile number off by heart. told me there was nothing she could do and HUNG UP. NEVER dealing with this company EVER again. putrid customer service.

DES
DESIllawarra, NSW3 posts

Old Age tantrums

Thank you for solving my problem. A special thank you to Emma service consultant.

The problem was entirely our fault Sorry Southern Phones

Show reply

Dave
Dave4 posts

Been a business customer for 3 years..they used to answer the phone almost instantly...now is a mini

Customer support if you can get to talk to them is no help at all...

They just simply not care....

Avoid this company at all costs..

Rocking Robin
Rocking RobinMaitland NSW

Minus 5 stars worst company EVER

Mine is quiet simple its a mobile that needs to be connected. Been waiting since January . I really need my mobile service as I have a husband with dementia. So can someone please help.

BERT
BERT

No Phone Service On Huge Billing Error

Have rung 13 times times since receiving my last email account in Jan and been given a continuous busy message despite my calling 7 times between 8.00 am & 9.00am & 6 times between 9.00am & 6.00pm. Have been on hold for up to 10 min before giving up yet again

I have been a customer since June 2014 and experienced Ok service until recently when their service is now rated as nonexistent

I will now be looking for another service provider.

Unsatisfied
Unsatisfied

Mobile Broadband Providers

Find out how Southern Phone Mobile Broadband compares to other Mobile Broadband Providers

You deserve better
You deserve better

Worst provider ever

Do not go into a mobile contract ever with Southern Phone. The most obnoxious call centre ever and the smarmy little upstart who had to assist via phone to get my new mobile activated -don't get me started! Can never talk to a supervisor because they are miraculously always in a meeting. I loathe Southern Phone more than Telstra - now that's saying something! The end is nigh for Southern Phone. The word is spreading. You can only abuse customers for so long. No customers = no business.

ROBERT WILSON
ROBERT WILSONWide Bay-Burnett, QLD2 posts

Rickman
Rickman

A shocking example of ripping off customers!

Don't fall for the smooth marketing - our bills have been difficult to understand (deliberately, most likely) and the overcharging on our mobile plans has been eye watering. Like $41 for a call to a 'freephone' 1800 number. Except that unlike Telstra it's not free on Southern Phone. Sure, it's 'included' in your plan - but they still charge you for a freephone number.

Or charging $20 for replacement SIM cards when their service drops our mobile data and they accept that it's the SIM card at fault.

Very poor service and very underhand methods of charging.

Casey
Casey

Jessica
JessicaQueensland16 posts

Love it

My partner has been with southern phone for about 3 years. I hung onto my history with telstra believing they would get better but after complaining and having money disappear from my telstra phone. I finally moved to southern phone i don't know where these complaints are coming from they are nice professional and helpful and unlike telstra (were im on hold for agessss) im always answered within 10 mins of calling southern phne even on weekends. Keep it up southern phone great work!!!!! (And i love my new phone).

Jane
JaneSydney

Customer service

Customer service staff don't care and shows in their attitude. No apologies....at least telstra says sorry not impressed bad company

art
artWide Bay-Burnett, QLD39 posts

Gert
Gert

Very frustrating

Absolutely pathetic and frustrating. Brings out behavior in me that l don't like because this service is always giving me cause to be cranky. I joined southern phone because supposedly all profits go to the community but as soon as this contract is up, l'm leaving. Absolutely terrible service.

Rupert
Rupert

Trying to cancel a contract that is not used

I bought a mobile phone for my husband to keep in touch when he is out, he is very ill and we needed to be able to contact him. Now that his health has worsened he doesn't use the phone, so we are wasting $15 pr month, for me to break the contract it will cost $80.that I can't afford.

bundysmum
bundysmumBombala25 posts

Mobile Broadband Providers

kpric23
kpric23Brisbane5 posts

Don't deliver good

Southern Phone failed to deliver my phone after 3 days. No update or anything. Everytime I call, they always tell me something different.

Heartmist
Heartmist3 posts

SIM cards don't work!

I switched my home phone and mobile to Southern Phone to give a new company a go and because they were supposed to give good service to rural areas. I haven't had any problems with the home phone or computer so far but the mobile is a nightmare! I have had 3 SIM cards and none have worked. Every time I ring up I get different advice from different people and I find some are less than polite, especially the girls. I am beginning to regret giving up a perfectly working Telstra mobile for this company and I am locked into a contract for something I can't use. I have referred it to the TIO and don't intend to pay until I have a working phone. My next move will be to refer it to the Managing Director!

Simbenot
SimbenotWimmera, VIC5 posts

Don't get the phone plan

Southern Phone use supplying faulty equipment as an excuse to charge you extra. For example if you ring them to tell them the SIM doesn't work, it will cost you extra money for the call, and $20.00 to replace the broken sim they supplied in the first place and as for the phones they lock you into a contract for, they don't work. You will have to go and buy a new one from someone else, but still pay their charges as well. Remember every time they rip you off, its an excuse to get more money out of you.

Tiger
TigerEerwah Vale7 posts

OK but you really need to know your usage patterns and how Southern's pricing model fits

I can't say good or bad. Their plans can be a bit tricky to match your usage patterns and its easy to end up with over spend. Classic case of what sounds good on paper depends on your vigilance and doing stupid things like having to hang up on a call and call back again. Can't say I really like it. What the world needs though if for one of these players to decide we'll reward you at 12 months or 24 months rather than try and lock you in. I hate being made a prisoner of a mobile phone company - they must doubt they can be good enough to keep us happy!

Show details

Dee
DeeSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

G. Michael
G. Michael2 posts

How about connecting my sim after 10 still no service

I have bought an apple I phone 5s from you,and to my horror,disbelief after contacting you several times.....guess what...still no service. Im,trying to run a business and been without a phone for ten days,given every excuse under the sun. I NEED MY PHONE!

mekarls
mekarlsGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC17 posts

Would recommend

I've had my mobile with them for a few years. Having the ability to choose which network I go on is great. I was originally on the optus network so I rang them and it cost $20 for a telstra sim (same number) to be send out, the reception has been much better. I also like the call centre is Australian and they're usually very quick to answer. Although last time I called tech support wasn't very knowledgeable, other times have been fine. Price wise, they seem better value than telstra but more expensive than dodo etc. I think they offer decent value considering the profits go back into community projects. Overall I'm happy with them.