4SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220
Part of SsangYong Rexton 3.8

SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006) Questions & Answers (page 3)

Mike
Mike · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My 2004 Ssangyong rexton 4WD light is on and is Erving high and has difficulty in changing gears. Any ideas?

David

Always try and state your question as clearly without spelling mistakes and with as much information as possible ..

Your problem us possibly due to the Low range 4wd drive system not functioning properly. The Rexton is always in 4 wd drive high range unless you select low range ...if you don't select low range regularly then the solenoid can stick and play up and not pass the "test upon start up" this will put the 4 wd drive light on and or the check engine light ....the way to resolve this us to select 4 wd low 20 times in a row listening and feeling for the gear to select ..so try that ....select low range listen then select high range ....ultimately the solenoid will free up and the issue should resolve .. ..

Eileen Scott
Eileen Scott · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Have just purchased 2005 model diesel and would like to know the nearest dealer for spare parts? I live in Warwick Qld.

harry
harry · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My 2006 rexton won't start there is diesil at the injectors please help.

Emir

I think that if your car has made over 100000km it is time to replace or refurbish the injectors...

Good Luck.

Poeteer

When you say " deisel at the injector do you mean there is deisel leaking from the injector?

Terlochan S
Terlochan S · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi i have a 2004 rexton 2.7 auto diesel. Engine will not restart after being driven. It will only start after a minimum of 8 hours. Any idea whats wrong? Tried scanning no isuue detected. Have tried swapping some parts but not working.

David

Hi ....does the engine turn over but just doesn't start or does it NOT even turn over? Please provide as much clear accurate information in your questions. Thank you.

Terlochan S

Hi, it will crank but won't start at all. Thank you

Kel H
Kel H

Have a diesel mechanic check the crankshaft sensor.

Poeteer

Could be air in the fuel system. Common cause os worn o rings usually an injector is the issue. Check for carbon build up (black stuff) around the injectors. Replace injector(s)

Joe G
Joe G · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have 2011 Ssangyong Korando 2 litre turbo auto . Orange engine came on _ and or flashing.

Dramatic loss in power,

Next time i started it , it was back to normal but engine light still on , _ then repeat problem. Any help?

Emir

Hello you haven't mentioned if it's a diesel or petrol engine. In my experience with the diesel engine I had some trouble lately with injection nozzles especially after hard start or overtake. the problem was solved My mechanic advised me to pour one liter off transmission fluid to the full tank then drive to empty, And do that twice sort of rinse and repeat. It's been a couple of months I didn't have any issues with my engine since. It wouldn't hurt to try. This is not the Ssangyong engine problem This is a common real diesel injection usual problem to be over sensitive to” filthy fuel “ If I helped Im glad... All the best

Musso-rific

Your car went into safe mode (massive drop in power is normal) Take it to a dealer and get the fault code read - there are many potential reasons your engine dropped into safe mode.

scroo10
scroo10 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

where should my 2006 rexton temp gauge sit?

David

Halfway or just a touch under. However they are known to have issues with the sender unit connection creates a bad connection and you get a high reading on occasions ...what are your symptoms. ?

Emir

My Rextons gauge sits just a touch under at normal working temp of about 77 to 87°C It is normal

I had a discrepancy in the temp sensors of the AT and the coolant so it would go to "SafeMode" when Im torque breaking downhill. But I changed the thermostat in the coolant tank and its been 6 months now I got no issue Not sure at what temp the new thermostat releases but as I said, no issues since this cheap fix and the needle is always whether up or downhill just a touch under only the visco cooler fan indicates rissen temp of the engine.

Christo B
Christo B · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

hi i have a ssangyong rexton 2006 model 2.7 diesel auto transmision P code p2100 and p2101 car went in limp mode please need help

David

Hi. I assume that you have interpreted the codes and that they indicate a problem with the TACM ...throttle actuator control module

Christo B

hi i had my tcu tested today and all fine ..... my car stay in D limp mode and dond change gears ... i had it scan and all and give me p2100 code and a p2101 code i check the brake pedal switch and the oil and took the conducter plate and valve body i test the solenoids it seems fine to me i realy dond know enymore i check the harnas aswell looks fine and that socket plug

Christo B
Christo B · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

hi there please help i buy this car ssungyong rexton4x4 2.7 diesel they say the tcu is the problem i drive it then it was fine and wen i stop it go to D mode and then i turn the motor of and on then D1 is on then all fine and stop at home drive to the shop and hapend agen and now it stay in d mode and can drive it bud slowly stop at home turn of and on no good stil in d home mode please please help i tjeck the brake lights one light was of i slap it a bit and then it go on and stil the same

David

Hi. Do you have any warranty ?

Get the rear brake light fixed permanently ...it may well have an influence on the auto gearbox operation

Christo B

hi there. yes i did check the rear break light and switch at the brake peddel ant open the gearbox and clean the condacter plate and all the solenoids still the same.

ivychido
ivychido · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hello my rexton rx290 which is 2003 model main relay box got burned am wondering if replacing it with rx 270 might work cos I can’t find its own here in Nigeria

Sharon Kevin F
Sharon Kevin F · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

2006 RX 320 rexton 4×4 sangyong.just wondering if anyone knows how many Anchorage points it comes with?

Three

Rob H
Rob H · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hello,

When i jumpstarted mij 2005 rexton 2.3 the odo jumpod to 0 (from 1750251) and instead of km he now counts in miles. Anyone have some idea??

Sharnee G
Sharnee G · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi I have a 2003 ssangyong rexton 2.9 turbo deisel i have recently purchased this car in the last week 4 days ago it got a vibration and upon inspecting one of the previous owners or their mechanic has stripped the output shaft on the box my problem and question is are there compatible ssangyong with the same transfer case or do I need to buy just the output shaft or a 2003 transfer case thank you sharnee

David

I assume you are based in Australia. If so what state. ? You can obtain part from a breaker in your state or failing that then try Malaysia. Plenty of Rexton up there. Rgds David

Tedla M
Tedla M · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have Rexton RX 290TD .2006 model manual gear. It is always hard to shift the 2nd gear. The technician changed the clutch disk but still the same. Can any one suggest what is wrong with it.

David

Hi. Are you certain it's a 290 model and not a 270 ? I thought that by 2006 that the model had changed to 270 diesel. Either way I would suggest that the second gear problem is to do with gearbox synchromesh failing . If all other gears are easy to change then it tends to point to individual gear issue. Does the problem still persist with the engine turned off... ?

Tedla M

Thank you dear. There is no problem when the engine is off. The technician checked each individual gear in the gear box and confirmed no problem.

Hello,

You say the tech. changed just the clutch disk? As far as my experience with manuals go, and I've had a few. European gearbox/clutch service includes the whole clutch set along with disk, pressure plates etc... and its considered one of the most expensive regular maintenance tasks in a cars life. Usually manufacturer asks for the (big) service around 100.000km So clutch and gearbox issues are rare at least here in Bosnia. I believe its a smart thing to do for the peace of mind because otherwise you end up in and out of the garage changing part after part... I replace even light bulbs with same principal... Both at the same time, it might not be the most green or money-wise thing to do but it certainly improves the lifetime and annoying unscheduled trips to the mechanic. Hope this advice helps. Good Luck

Tash
Tash · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My brake lights have stopped working. The one on the rear window works. Checked the bulbs they are working so I checked the wires. Nothing. Where do I go about finding the problem. Rexton 2005

Hello,

First of you should have checked the fuses. The braking sends the command to the lights, (since the tailgate works) so it has to be the fuse if not the wireing ... Hope its a easy fix cheers

Tash

Yes I checked the fuses. Also the windows go down really slowly or not at all. The locking system is dodgy as well. One door didn't open at all for a couple of days.

Serene de
Serene de · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi, im having rexton 2.7xdi diesel year2005. Everytime light come out engine check temperature will drop and i cannot on my aircon.

What is the problem?

Please reword your question ...I cannot understand it.b rgds David

Please reword your question ...I cannot understand it.b rgds David

Emir

I believe I faced a similar problem and so far I have managed to solve it by changing the thermostat in the cooling system. The T. will after a while start letting the coolant earlier or later which makes a discrepancy in the trans temperature and engine coolant temp. Then the system goes to safe mode, and the temp gauge goes flat. Also the aircon cuts out. After a ignition restart it went away but as soon as I was in a downhill drive it returned. The system diag. reported transmission temp difference so me and my service guy decided to try the thermostat as it was the cheapest fix to try. It has been 4 months now with no incident and it used to happen every day. (also I flushed and cleaned the cooling system and replaced the coolant, I figured it was a prudent thing to do)

Hope this helps

Bye

Dave Hux
Dave Hux

Hi there I have had the same issue as well and still no solution... I will try the solution you have provided Emir and further to this I will check the coolant sensor wiring harness. Let me know if anything else pops up...

David, I think Serene de is saying: As you drive along the temperature gauge drops to the bottom, at the same time the air-conditioner compressor cuts out. Once you turn the ignition off the whole system resets and everything works for a short period of time.

A gauge dropping to the bottom would indicate an open circuit; the compressor cutting out could be a bunch of things. In the end I think the ECU might be having issues, or conniptions :)

Mas
Mas · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have a Rexton 2005 automatic. Replaced battery 2 mths ago went well, then after sitting in searing heat for 2 weeks drove it about km wouldn't change gears but kept going until I reached home. Son-in-law then drove around the block kept hitting the gear change upto 5th gear, but revved to 4000 rpm but wouldn't accelerate past 50kms. The car has only done 63000, driven by me, a little old lady living on an island 1.5kms long x .75kms wide.

Hope somebody can help. (always serviced at 5,000kms)

David

Hi. First step is to be very precise and accurate with your responces to any questions that I or others may ask or request ...this is very important in fault finding. Do you understand this request. Rgds David

David

I added that your Rexton is automatic and 2.7 litre diesel ? Please confirm .

I suspect that the car has due to some problem identified by its computer entered into what is known as "limp home mode". In this mode the auto gearbox restricts the car to certain gears and does not allow it to change upwards into 4 and 5 gear to reduce the revs on the engine, whilst increasing the road speed to say 60 or 70 miles per hour. Please read this answer carefully and slowly and answer or confirm or deny any questions posed. Rgds David.

Hello,

In my 6yr experience with my Rexton and the repairmen is a friend and a fellow enthusiast, we have concluded that all Rextons electric or ECU problems were with cars that were driven gently. Being that there is only 1 Ssanyong repair shop in my whole country he is the guy that knows every single one sold in Bosnia and he said that whenever there was a unknown electrical behaviour it was always on cars that were mainly driven in cities and with a light leg on the pedal. My car had misbehaved like this a couple of times and all it took was a good old fault clear or just a simple ignition restart or rarely reconnecting of the battery to get it to work perfectly again. The engine and the gearbox are still going strong after 250.000km though I service every 10.000 and every 30.000km I service the AT gearbox. Have you ever done a AT service ( it includes 8l of ATF oil and a filter change and a through sweep of the oil container with a magnet to remove any gear metal chips ) ? Hope the gremlin is gone soon and your car drive you long and healthy ;)

Mas

Thank you both, David my Rexton is 1.5 petrol. I will try both methods and see what joy I have

Mas

Thanks once again, my family called Lube-mobile who promptly came and examined the car, drained the transmission, cleaned and sealed the tray. The chap, Jake, then refilled the transmission, gave the engine a service and away she went.

Teecee
Teecee · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi My stalled my 2005 rexton diesel manual.Now it wont start from the key .engine turns over but wont fire.it will start with a tow and drop it into gear.will start from key using spray start into intake can anyone help?

zizzi
zizzi · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

the water gauge is not working, and thr glow plug bulb lights after the engine start, what is the problem please? Thanks

Kutay D
Kutay D · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Ssangyong rexton 2005 shows overheating but when you check the water not bubbling or hot water or any pressure what can it be please? i need help.

Poldark
Poldark

Ssangyong rexton are known for this, they are very sensitive to radiator blockage, as only 10% flow blockage will cause this, you need to clean the core out of the radiator, then replace the thermostat and temp sender unit, problem will be then resolved

Willz
Willz · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

How do I check transmission fluid on 2004? Rx320 petrol?

Emir

Sorry. Only have experience with II series model 2006- XVT diesel. 187 hp. If it is the sequential AT it does not need additional check (that is in between service which is for Europe every third service 30.000 km). Mine has a sensor that never showed by the way because it does not leak after 250k km. It takes approx 8l of transmission oil and a good thing is that the transmission housing opens up and the change involves a filter and a thorough sweep of the housing with a powerful magnet to remove eventual metal debris.(btw. you have to ask for this last two things as it is not standard practise) The rexton is my fifth car with automatic transmission and is by far the smoothest transmission I drove. Granted, I change the tr. fluid regularly and every change I do the above mentioned, change filter and a magnet sweep. A good thing is to change the gasket of the tr. housing every so often. These are the little maintenance tips I have, if it helps, Im glad. It will surely prolong the good operational lifetime.

Get an answer from our members and SsangYong representatives

Select a listing for your question
SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)