4SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220
Part of SsangYong Rexton 3.8

SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006) Questions & Answers (page 4)

Adeoye
Adeoye · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

What is the cause of oil mixed with coolant?

Emir

Hello. In diesel it is usually worn engine head gasket and this means a head refurbish. It is mostly followed by overheating and overcooling.

Imtiaz K.
Imtiaz K.

There only is electrical issue in gear shifting. I checked through a workshop but he failed to resolve the issue because this car is very rear in uae

sizzles1
sizzles1 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

my 2.9 td rexton wont select 4wd low, with the 4l button pressed the 4h light stays on with .the 4l light flashing, the car drives in 4h. 2h & 4h work correctly, anybody help please?

Emir

Hello, It might be a speed issue. Try stopping or see if there are certain switches on the wheels that need to be turned. I hawe a awd and no switch so all I know is from experience with SUVs and 4wds.

Alan

Auto trans servicing and propper gear oil is a MUST! . FUCHS OIL synthetic only is the one

Brian
Brian · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My 2005 Rextonwhitrexton engine check light comes at times seems like it is overheating but not. Had coolest temp switch fitted then thermostat removed. Would there be a problem with fitting an external temp gauge if so how?

Kez
Kez

This just happened to me as well. Drove it 3 hrs and all good than noticed engine light on an temp gauge was sky high. Shut it down for 10 mins turned ac off come down a fraction. Got home popped bonnet but didnt feel to bad.

Going to get it seen to.

Alan

Don't drive without thermostat , buy a new one and use proper coolant first.Are the engine oil and transmission oils been replaced , if not , do so as well.

Kutay D
Kutay D

Today my first time driving my rexton bought it with turbo problem and 3 injectors gone replaced turbo but not injectors drive it on m11 for 40 mins shows overheating it was on the max go check the engine no heat or bubbling in the water or any pressure. What can this be because of injectors cause 3 of them need replacing.

Poldark

the rexton is known to have this fault of a incorrect temperature read, mine does as well, people have spent small fortunes trying to correct this problem, most have had no success , i have learnt to pull over, turn off motor, wait 30 second and then continue , the temp will then read very high above three quarters, bit not go any higher. sorry I have no fix for you, but I have had my Rexton for a number of years and it hasn't cooked itself, just scares you a bit

Dave R.
Dave R.

Is there a app that will give you auto trans oil temp using a obdlink mx+

Farmyakker
Farmyakker · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have recently purchased an unmot'd 2004 plate, 2.9td and on taking it for mot, have found that both rear springs are broken. I have searched online and asked motor factors about replacements, but have yet to find any that will supposedly fit the 2.9td. Does anybody know the correct part number, or even if the 2.7 rear springs fit? I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Hello

My serv. guy tells me that the Rexton I 2,7 are a nice fit and the fitting itself is basicly the same. (FYI the springs are 2-3mm longer but they fit normally) They used to fit them in the dealership all the time when missing originals.

Good luck and hope this helps

Emir

Also I hope this part list will help. It has been my reference for parts and check tool for buying online for a long time.

Amber
Amber · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My 2005 Ssanyong Rexton XDi overheated where in the engine can I find the thermostat to replace it?

Hello

You can find all that is for all variations of rexton with full part list and diagrams here - http://original-parts.co/

Joe S
Joe S · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

i have rexton 2004 and doorlocks no longer close automaticly above 60km. Any help?

Hello Joe,

Sorry for this late reply. Hope you solved this by now but just to check in. I hear of this problem for the first time. All I know about these "hidden" switches is about the side mirrors for example. If you keep the adjustment btns L/R selector in the middle the automatic side mirrors drop is off and they do nothing when you put in reverse. As for the door lock it could be something simple as this or a glitch in the system. Try disconnecting the + wire on the battery for 10 mins to reset the system. Usually the good old IT solution of restarting works best.

Good luck

Heath
Heath · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have a 2006 rexton. I have no 2nd gear and when in neutral it moves when I release the clutch I can't go into 3rd there is nothing but revs or 4th or 5th when moving only 1st and 2nd ???

Unsure of what's going on. Please help.

Anyone?

Hello

As much as I would like to help you, I only have experience with automatic transmission so that is that but from what I know about this car is that in most cases these are his unique electrical gremlins. The only trouble is finding them and finding the mechanic to fix it.

Good Luck.

kamash
kamash · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

what would be the problem when Rexton 290 fails to shift gears?

Maaney
Maaney

More info would be helpful to identify the problem.

If gear doesn't shift from 1st - 2nd and stuck at 1st and you need to turn off your car and restart to make it work.

The 4WD sensor needs some cleaning and it should work ok.

Tan
Tan · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Why cannot start engine?

1st check you have fuel, if diesel hows the glo plugs are they working

Gizzy
Gizzy · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My Rexton 2004 model overheats and have changed the cylinder head and the gaskets,yet still it overheat. Any ideas?

not happy jan

hi gizzy, well you sure started at the unlikely end. known to have thermostat issues so start with the radiator ,hoses,thermostat, water pump and turbo operation and always use correct coolant

Wolf007
Wolf007 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My rx270i 2006 turns de checkengine light and the aircondinition tunrs off and it seems like it overheat but if a false alarm. I just restart the engine and the problem gone. What it has to be done to fix.this

Poldark

You need to have the core of the radiator cleaned and replace thermostat and temp sender. only a 10% blockage of coolant flow will cause this

Arash
Arash · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi. Would you mind letting me know What I have to do when check orang light is on? my rextone is 2004.

Thank you.

Brian

My rexton is2005same problem had new coolant temp switch fitted and thermostat removed still have problem

Laaland C.
Laaland C.

Did you fix the problem as the car dealer i bought car if fitted new radiator, thermostat sensor and dash cluster and still temperature rise to boiling, always when cruise control is turned on.

Jay
Jay · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi I have a 2006 Rexton 5 speed 270xdi . When driving it goes into automatic transmission no prob but after 5 min it goes into limp mode ie stuck in 3 Rd gear . Any ideas please? Scanner shoes code p0603 what does it mean

Richards S Pete

Look under 4x4 near front tail shaft ..

My wiring was rubbing on it and it went into limp mode... taped up wires and zip tyed them out of the way then had the car reset with obd2 and never had a fault since.

Jay

Yes I checked the same area as this problem was also reported by someone in Malaysia except it was one of the 3 plugs / connectors in the same area . I disconnected the plugs cleaned and re fitted them and so far so good . No problems for 2 weeks fingers crossed

David
David

I suggest that you select 4 WD "low" then select "high" then "low". Repeat thereby exercising the low range selection gearbox to engage ...this should or could assist to stop the limp home mode from occuring.

Chiriqui
Chiriqui · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Im the 2nd owner, 135,000 k Was rolled by the previous owner when just new. Seems mechanically sound. However it rocks over uneven surfaces. The shocks/struts do not bounce which they would do if failing. Is the car known to be top heavy, a high center of gravity?

Hi,

The xvt that I'm driving has 8 point rear suspension and the cornering surprised me how good it was. But it does take some getting used to because the car is quite heavy and it will never be as nice while driving as some other established brands. As I made some great mileage with my car on and off road I can safely say at least for my car, yes it is as safe as those established brands. All it really needs is a good set of tires and please note and check front lower ball bearings as they can pop out without warning which may be costly. I change mine every 30000 miles like the factory suggests and I have no problems whatsoever. It does feel quite unsafe in the corners but you find it's limits that is if you are a sane man quite easily. Good luck and dont worry although it doesn't have the gadgets that other four by fours have as you can find on the Internet in it's tests it is quite capable off-road good luck to you

Kirsten
Kirsten · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Why does the engine check light come on didn't come on till on highway comes off when temp gage moves up and its a desiel?

Emir

Hello. I think that is most unusual and it might be the coolant level is low (if you open the gasket the to refill please do it on cold engine) or just an electronic glitch. Either way you should visit a specialist. I

not happy jan

HI 3 THINGS TO CHECK. Sounds as if thermostat in radiator is open when car is cold, it should be closed and open when engine reaches temp by the time it reaches the highway. also put a bottle of catalitic converter cleaner in the fuel tank before next fill , around $25 at autobarn. finally anti freeze anti boil in radiator may be old so replace and flush radiator easy for any mechanic to do

Richards S Pete

Common fault with dash.. run exturnal temp gauge and disable the one in the dash... jobs done ..no more engine light coming on due to dumb temp gauge.

ttt y.
ttt y.

Hi, could anyone kindly tell me where is the fuel filter of a ssangyong rexton 2004 3.2 petrol 4x4 located please? Thanks

Rams
Rams · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have a 2005 Rexton 3.2L. The vehicle has developed a knocking when driving at speed in 3rd & 4th gear. It only started after the head gasket was replaced. I'm unsure if it's the diff or if it's the injectors. Any advice would be good? It's only got 100K km on the clock, barely driven.

Emir

My mech says that it could be the valve regulators ( Im not sure if Im translating right.) He also says it could be a improper gasket instal that did that. Also have you ever changed transmission oil? Sorry if I could not help much but bere in Bosnia, the 99,99% of Rextons have a Diesel engines so little to none experience in petrol models.

not happy jan

Take it back to your mechanic!

Rams

I took it to the mechanic and it's booked in for a scan. He believes it's the coil pack.

Rams

So it appears the front diff is trying to engage, but is slipping out. The transfer case may blow if it continues but it seems we may have just caught it in time.

Someone in one of the other threads, suggested this and I'm glad I read it. Does anyone know roughly what I'll be up for to fix this problem?

Stephen
Stephen · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My Rexton290 2004 automatic is not moving. I have shift the gear to drive (D) but still not moving. What is the cause?

Meca

Check your linkages that connect to the gearbox.

Mags Lynch
Mags Lynch · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have a rexton 2005 automatic,the problem is when I'm driving along it starts to pull back and jumps from 5th gear to 3 and loses power anyone any ideas? thank you

Macca
Macca

If you stop turn off engine and restart does it drive normal again?

If yes you have a intermittent electrical fault which is causing car to go into limp home mode, check engine light should come on and log a code.

Find out the code and that is where to start looking

Jackie
Jackie · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My rexton 270xdi year 2005 4WDH comes on and off. What could be the cause of the problem and how to fix iy? Thank you.

ray

I also had this problem with our 2003 rexton & the doors would lock &unlock as you drove along took her back to ssangyong Wodonga but they were unable to fix they told me all rextons of this year had this problems but you find the auto is not going into gear or there would a hell of a Bang

norlia
norlia · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi! My rexton 270xdi year 2005. The problem is the word 'check' with yellow colour word come out all the time i drive and that time i feel my car run slower. This happen for 3 days already and i just do my routine service last month complete with change the oil filter.

not happy jan

hi sounds like the start of an injector problem , if computer senses a faulty injector it will shut it down causing the car to run a little rougher and a loss of power.injectors are not a serviceable item but sometimes adding flash lube before filling the tank will assist in cleaning up the injectors. modern deisel is free from sulpher to the detriment of clean injector tips and using flash lube every second tank ( available at autobarn ) can avoid problems . good luck

Meca

Yeh I agree but if you whant more help you could try Rexton forum the are owners of Rexton,s

ray

sorry I am not familiar with this problem I think you need to take rexton to SsangYong agent for check up

Get an answer from our members and SsangYong representatives

Select a listing for your question
SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)