4SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220
Part of SsangYong Rexton 3.8

SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006) Questions & Answers (page 5)

Ken Shehan
Ken Shehan · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi , I have Ssangyong Rexton 2005 year , Petrol 3.2 L Motor .Only 90,000 Km`s . Problem I have it has decided to just run in 1 st Gear .

However , now & then it will run as normal in all Gear range.& sequential . I replaced Gear Lever switch , which includes console Gear shift. New.

I know it will not change Gears when I put into Drive . It will jerk & i do not like doing that . If It goes into Drive gently then I know it will be normal

I have had a Code Reader put on.Two Codes came up as : P240C & P1850 .But don`t know what they represent . Anyone had this happen or can help with this ? We think maybe another faulty switch or bad connection

Ken..

Meca

Hi Ken does it go faster if you pump the accelerater? If so check your tail light s one could be shorting out and the computer goes into limp mode.

not happy jan

hi ken i had a friend with the same gearbox as yours and his also jammed in first on a wkend away and car was stuck in small garage in country town. was something to do with a filter/sensor on the lower outside of the gearbox which can be subject to mud and a lack of service. mercedes were helpful to the garage and when located i believe it was not an expensive fix. will try to get more info for you.

Billy71
Billy71 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi I have a 2003 rexton I was wondering if I can retro fit cruise control into it it's a 3.2 petrol 5 Spd manual? cheers

not happy jan

hi the basic answer is yes you can but at what expense? would need to fit a genuine ssangyong cruise control unit and probably use a good auto electrician unless you are suitably skilled. playing with electrics on these vehicles can be complicated and risky so i probably wouldnt bother and would save my money to update to a newer rexton with cruise fitted.

Don
Don · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

HI , put a new battery in my 2005 rexton 2.7 xdi and now the fuel gauge is not working tried did what was suggested by taking the leads off and putting them back but nothing is there another way you can fix this other than dropping the fuel tank?

not happy jan

hi don assume you have checked the fuel gauge fuse and unclear if you have refuelled and driven vehicle much since. try refuelling and driving as have known needle gauges to stick when dropped to rest position. also check fuel sender unit electrical connection especially at the engine end as may have become dislodged during the fitting of the new battery

Don

checked sender all good drilled a small hole above the fuel needle and moved it up to half way and turn it on but nothing all new fuses full tank travelled about 250 k's still nothing Thanks for your suggestions but it look as it might be a sparkie's job.

Arr C.
Arr C.

Did you solve this issue as I have the same

Bec
Bec · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi we have had a rexton 2006 for about 18 months, just after we got it, we were driving along at 100kph and the speedo goes up randomly to 140kph, we fix this with disconnecting the battery. This problem was on and off for about 6 months, now the engine warning light comes on the temperature gauge moves up to hot, this resets itself without disconnecting the battery. This happened multiple times on a long trip and every now and again when this happens the aircon stops working but again starts up when the engine light goes out and the temp gauge goes back to normal. Anyone have an answer please? Rebecca

Meca

Replace thermostat fill radiator with premix coolant I had the same problem . If Moore problems come up check voltage regulater

Kenneth Piña

Did This work for you? i have the same issue! but my Temp Gauge goes down when Chk engine comes on and A/C stops blowing cold air, after i slow down a bit it resets itself and back to Normal, and if i stop, turn the car off and then on again it wont do it for the rest of the trip.

Bec

Hi Kenneth, at the moment the issue has not come back, I am hoping to get the radiator and thermostats done on the next service, which is about 4 months away. You May get it sorted before I do. It's very frustrating these intermittent faults! please let me know if you do get it sorted.

Regards Rebecca

ttt y.
ttt y.

Hi, anyone could kindly advise me where is the fuel filter of a ssangyong rexton 2004 3.2 petrol 4x4 located? Thanks

Wayne
Wayne · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My Rexton has a constant amp draw of .35a and I have traced the source to the memory. if I remove the Memory fuse the draw ceases, but can I run the vehicle without the fuse as I don't know what else runs off the same circuit. Could it be a faulty BCM not shutting down?

not happy jan

I dont know. ask an auto elec that question

He doesn't know either

Kenneth Piña

I also found the same issue, i went through 3 different batteries before finding the issue, i honestly don’t know what the memory is for but im driving without this fuse, if you could please enlighten me and let me know if you found a permanent fix to this or if you are also driving without the Fuse! Thanks [email removed]

Flip
Flip · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My 270xdi not starting up after headgascet was replaced. Any ideas?

not happy jan

Hi your question raises multiple questions about why this work was done ,how much of the motor was pulled down, was it done by a home mechanic or a specialist in engine rebuilding etc. Cant really give a good answer without knowing all the facts. After a significant engine rebuild it is essential to completely reset the engine timing arrangements and if the engine wont start it is usually due to incorrect timing setup, if you used a qualified mechanic or engine recond then take it back and get him to fix it. If you did it yourself then ask yourself why you thought you had the ability to work on a mercedes diesel engine, then do some research and take it to a good engine reconditioner and ask him very nicely if he can find what you have done wrong.

seawright
seawright · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I've been told by my local garage that my rear differential is making a knocking noise can i disconnect the rear prop shaft on my 2.7 auto rexton to check where a knocking noise is coming from?

Meca

Join rexton forum the will help

signtorque
signtorque · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

how to remove diesel pump on 2005 rexton?

Go to Rexton hub sight

Jan
Jan · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I am in south Africa and in the market for a rexton 2.7 xde 2006. Is it a good car or not? Thanks in advance JBadenhorst

Meca

Parts are expensive have done287000km,s have had a few problems but have sorted them out

Luke Critchlow
Luke Critchlow · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

I have a 2004 Rexton 3.2 L.

The '4wd H' button does nothing when it's pressed and the '4wd L' button flashes along with the '4wd Check' light when I press that.

I am looking to drive in snow this week and was hoping for a possible quick fix.

Any suggestions/ ideas on what the cause could be?

Max90
Max90

Hi Luke

I have a 2005 Rexton 3.2 manual and have a similar problem that when pressing the 4wd H or L no lights light up in the dash.

Were you able to sort out your problem?

Do you know what was wrong?

David

Hi I might be too late to answer this question but adding you are referring to an auto box Rexton then 4 WD engagement is done in neutral . Press low button light on dash should flash and low should engage with a slight but firm thump. Same procedure for disengage ...they do stick with lack of use

..repeat procedure until low engages. If it does not then low motor is stuck or solenoid is stuck. Check underneath car for problem around gearbox ....

David

Hi sounds like it's due to a sticking low range selection issue often caused by lack of routine use. Try selecting low range by first selecting neutral then push the low range button wait 20 seconds then push high range then wait 20 seconds then repeat until the solenoids finally clicks in. Failing that then it's a trip to the service dept to check and relive your lowxrange selection system.

Kira. W
Kira. W · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Our 2006 Ssangyong rexton makes a beeping noise every now and then and a light comes on on the bottom right. Underneath the water hot and cold. What does this mean and how can I fix it

not happy jan

hi next time vehicle is serviced have the thermostat and or sender switch for the thermostat checked and replaced if necessary

Win
Win · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi I've got rexton 2005 xdi ,after I disconnect the terminal battery and put it back after 30 min, the car won't start again,but the motor is good and battery..please help

Have you made sure.

1terminals are clean

2 the terminals are on the correct terminals.

Terminals are on tight

Fuses have not blown

Sammy J
Sammy J

Did you get the fix for this as my car has the exact same problem, changed battery 2 days ago and it will not start just turns over

Win

The mechanic charges the battery overnigth and add more deisel in tank and change the fuelfilter its just cost like $80 and plus the mechanic charges..after that the car back in the road again

Pia
Pia · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

hi, rexton 2.7 d 2004 automatic .... MOVE IN SAFE MODE, a new battery, transmission oil changed ... HELP

Need Moore info.

Pia

rexton, changing the oil in the gearbox, for some time it was ok, then the problem was the same, drove to a mechanic, and he said that the battery is not enough power .. bought a new battery, 2 days ok, then again the same. In summer, there were no such problems. When it was 0 degrees problem, I do not know if it affects the problem.avto leads in position D and refuses changed into higher gear.

2.7 d, year 2004

thanks for any help Pia

kevink.08
kevink.08 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

2003 Ssangyong Rexton 4wd, 6 cyl, Auto my temp gauge goes to half way then cuts out for about 30 or so seconds but then it starts again.help needed

I thought that all Rexton

,s are 5 cylinder, Change temp senser if. That doesn't work changa thermostat it may be sticking it happened to me but in a different way

angela
angela · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi every one i have a rexton 2005 manual the engin light become on most time and water temperature going up any body coldn't fix it can you tell me if you had this problem how fixed it?

not happy jan

engine light on is a result of a problem with the cooling system so focus on that. Same as any other car check radiator , both hoses , thermostat and water pump or take to a good mechanic or natrad. After eleven years likely to be water pump but other items may need attention also. kevin 0428194919

pcraig8100
pcraig8100

Mike E

I have had an 04 Rexton for about 10 yrs. Had this problem for most of them. As soon as I restarted it was fine for a while. I just changed temp sensor and it fixed it. Was planning to do it myself ages ago but couldn't find where it went. Mechanic just did it. Cheap fix.

Don

I had the same problem so I changed top and bottom radiator hoses and thermostat and have not had a problem since have done 6000k's after

Danielle Fox
Danielle Fox

most often with the rextons its failure of the coolant temperature sensor witch is located on the engine block pretty much behind the power steering pump in a little gap under the intake manifold IF u have visible signs of over heating like steam or bubbling of your coolant solution it would be thermostat witch is located right hand side of the engine block in the thermostat housing situated pretty much behind the alternator / under the turbo BUT - if your engine isnt showing signs of overheat and your gauge is showing as max heat or any other weird sort of behaviour its usualy electrical fault from the coolant temp sensor - hope this helps

Bill
Bill · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Can the low range button be disconnected on my 2004 rexton

Meca

Join Rexton forum they can help

john b
john b · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi all, I think i am pretty smart but have been looking for the coolant temp sensor on my 2005 rexton for two days now could anyone help me out with a picture or diagram . it would be much appreciated its a 270xdi ..thanks John

Join Rexton Forum website they will help

Meca

Oh it's under inlet manifold weird uh!

john b

Thanks again meca , sounds like a torch and mirror job appreciate your feed back JB

Mike E

I did the same. Had the sensor but couldn't find where to put it. Mechanic found it under the manifold. Right side of engine up high.

john b

Hi all , found the sensor , you need a mirror. And a hard thing thing to replace , and what's worse when I did replace it it didn't solve the problem . Temp gauge still goes through the roof . I think it could be thermostat or thermo fans causing the problems any clues would be appreciated ..

Koicarpuk
Koicarpuk · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

Hi my 2003 rexton 290 diesel auto .when i turn ignition on the heater plug light does not come on dashboard. Will not start ad new heater plugs fitted new heater plug relay but no different i av by past the system with a heavy duty cable attached to the live on the relay and when i need to start the car i touch the other end to the battery positive for 5 seconds then the car starts. But been starting tge car like this for 5 years and no 1 can tell me how to fix it correctly any help would be appreciated thanks

Audietech car clinic

Check your alternator wire connectors this is the one controlling your heater relay. Check the function of your alternator.

Jade Rouke
Jade Rouke

Glow plug needs changed

Koicarpuk

Ad new glow plugs cleaned all connectors .does anybody know how the relay knows if the engine is warm.

Alman
Alman · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

My rexton 2.7 stop lamp didnt off..even the keys pull off..someone help me..tq

Audietech car clinic

Check the rubber stopper from the pedal or stoplight switch stock or damage

gili75
gili75 · Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)

hello

i own rexton 2005 2.7 xdi, during a quiet driving the engine shut down and check engine light turned on.

could not start the car again, the light was still on.

after few hours i managed to start it again and all was ok.

happened twice already.

what could it be?

not happy jan

HI GILL75 , dont know how many klms your car has or the general mechanical condition so comments are general only. check the EGR valve and the glow plugs as both can be troublesome when klms high. if your vehicle has a water filter fitted to the fuel line ( SOME MODELS DO) it will cause the situation you mention when it is full so needs to be changed and a new fuel filter fitted. If vehicle doesnt have an in line water filter can be fitted after market for a couple of hundred dollars and in conjunction with a diesel fuel additive every couple of tanks your problem should be resolved.

gili75

thanks for the answer, my rx270 done 208000 km, has the water filter, replaced 3000 km before that happened, but,

are you sure these faulties can shutdown the engine while driving ?

Meca

I fitted s ryco water seperater filter purchased from Repco it stopped the water senser problem go with that

already have one

originally installed

Get an answer from our members and SsangYong representatives

Select a listing for your question
SsangYong Rexton Y200 / Y220 (2003-2006)