St George Global Currency Card

St George Global Currency Card

See the Best Transaction Accounts in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for St George? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

kenfran
kenfranAU

An acceptable card with funds transfer issues as it winds down

Hunter
Hunter

A good practical debit card, better than some!

peter sAlice Springs, NT

Never worked and one time it did they disabled the card

Didnt work in usa uk ireland italy france, when i tried using it online. The card was canceled and i have no way to get the money off the card

Transaction Accounts

Find out how St George Global Currency Card compares to other Transaction Accounts

C ReillySydney, NSW

Would give it no stars if possible - Not secure and not run by St George.

FL
FL

Card does not work

I went to try the card out locally in Australia to make sure it worked and it doesn't. I have activated and and loaded it with AUD. Sounds like this card is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Glad I tried it out locally first.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
QL F
QL FJerrabomberra 2620, ACT

It helps us a lot. A good travel card.

We use it in USA. This is only card we prepare to use here. It is convenient, very easy to use. shopping, hotel, restaurants, ATM withdrawals. No problems. If you need rent a car here please take credit cards with you. Globle currency card can't do that. And it can't use to buy money order in Walmart. If you reached ATM withdrawal limits, have to wait for 24hours. Not just after midnight. Have to wait 24hours from the time your last withdrawal. This is our experiences. Hope it helps. We are very happy with it. Thank you.

mc35
mc35Sydney, NSW

DISASTER

Easy to transfer money on to card from my own bank account but money left on card is lost as can't be transferred back to my bank account. Can transfer money from Qantas Travel Card back to my bank account so why not St George!

David
DavidSydney, NSW

Waste of time and money

Used the debit card as hotel security holding in San Fran and I have to wait for 30 days to get the money back into my account.
Called St George and was told to get the hotel to send a FAX yes a FAX to St George to speed up the refund or wait 30 days.
I had an email from the hotel but St George will not accept an email
I was told a third party and not St George handles the transaction

Anon
Anon

Absolutely dreadful- avoid!

I had problem after problem with this card. Whenever I tried to make an overseas withdrawal (the whole purpose of having the card is for situations like this), it would get blocked “for security reasons.” I would then have to phone St George from overseas (it’s not a free call, either), and wait on hold for up to 15 minutes to unblock the card. One particularly ludicrous time, the person at the call centre told me I would have to come into a branch and show ID to unblock the card. For god’s sake, I was OVERSEAS! I couldn’t just go to a St George branch. Luckily, I had another bank account, because otherwise, I would have been completely without money.

Transaction Accounts

Lost money and wasted my time

Extremely disappointed. St George failed to tell me it wasn’t even working when I had already activated it prior to going overseas and converted money on it. Then I had to convert the money back from USD to AUD and lost money. Man I spoke to for help was argumentative and unhelpful. Never use again

Ema M.
Ema M.Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Very disappointed

Haven't left Australia yet and already unhappy with the card. Sorry to say St George has been deceptive in their promotion of this card. $A500 only converted to 263 Euros, that's 10 cents lower than the exchange rate equivalent. To then change it back to Aussie dollars, within 5 minutes, I would have received $A465, that's a loss of $35 in 5 minutes. Performed these transactions in the branch and was advised that "that's how the stock market works."
Will be emptying it out and not reloading - rip off.
I have been a customer with St George for decades, very disappointing.

Jackie
JackieCentral West, NSW

Look for a card elsewhere- AWFUL

St.George Global Currency Card

This card isn’t supported in Vietnam. Loaded money to card and will take ten days to get back. Where does it sit for ten days?
Though card was linked to st george bank

Matthew D.
Matthew D.South East Queensland, QLD

Wouldn’t give me a card unless I opened an account

John and Sue
John and SueVictoria

Travel Cards

Used this in Hawaii and also Thailand. Had no problems and it worked fine everywhere.Installing the travel card app was painful but excellent once done.

Read more reviews - page 2

Maryasked

Why does it takes 10 working days to transfer it back to my st George saving account it was instant the other way around ?

peter s

the card is a service, something that like sub bank of st George & visa. it only worked for me in paypal and never in any overseas atm / epos.

C Reilly

GOOD QUESTION. Exactly what I put to St George. Unfortunately, no one from St George here, the only response you’ll get are from other customers who are also annoyed.

Maryasked

Can I transfer the unused money back to my saving account

C Reilly

In theory yes, but apparently even though transferring from your regular St George to your GCC is instant, transferring back takes 10 business days. And with how often things go wrong with this card, I wouldn’t want to rely on even that happening.

C Reilly

I just saw your other question. If you’ve already loaded Australian dollars to the card, and are still in Australia, you should be able to withdraw it from an ATM. This may be the fastest way to get it back into your account. If you have changed the money to foreign currency, you will loose too much concerting it back to Australia dollars only to convert it again through some other institution. It’s nit ideal, but I recommend withdrawing what you can when you get to your destination and work at emptying it out over the first few days (you can only withdraw a max of $2000 AU per day).

Mary

Thank you every one I am still in Australia so I think I will withdraw it and deposit it back to my saving account and just use my normal debit card while overseas

Maryasked

After reading all this negative comments I am very worried to use it overseas I was hoping that I can use it for e.g. paying for hotels and transport overseas otherwise I will just have to keep withdrawing cash

C Reilly

I highly advise against this card. Firstly, it’s not operated by St George. Here is the information you’ll receive only once you’ve made a complaint (copy and pasted from email):

St.George Global Currency Card Dispute Team

St.George Bank - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141, AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714, is the distributor of this product. Rv Australia Pty Ltd ACN 117 378 953 AFSL 401610 manages the St.George Bank Global Currency Card product for Cuscal Limited ACN 087 822 455 AFSL 244116, an authorised deposit-taking institution. Cuscal Limited is the issuer of the product but does not take deposits from you. Westpac is not responsible for and does not guarantee this product or card or your ability to access any prepaid value or the use of this product or card.

Suzi
Suzi

I've never had any problems withdrawing funds from my St George travel card.

It's very interesting that Rev issues many of the travel cards, yet the Velocity, Qantas & ANZ (online application & a fee of $11 for 2 cards, and branch collection) are the only travel cards that have your name on them.

ALL travel cards 'SHOULD' have the card holder's name and a 'chip' on them for an added level of security. If you still want a card without your name on it, you can still do this.

The only way to change the way these cards are issued is to put pressure on the financial services industry to change the way these cards are issued, especially when ordered on the internet, like many banks do.

Also, do a check on how much you'll be charged for ATM withdrawal fees:
St George, Westpac, Bank of Melbourne & Bank SA cards won't charge you fees if you withdraw @ a 'Global Alliance' ATMs.
Some will charge you from $1.25 (Global Wallet) to $3.50 (ANZ) or Australian equivalent.

Do you homework very carefully, then choose for yourself.

See all St George Global Currency Card questions