St George Global Currency Card

St George Global Currency Card

See the Best Transaction Accounts / Debit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

mc35

mc35Sydney, NSW

DISASTER

Easy to transfer money on to card from my own bank account but money left on card is lost as can't be transferred back to my bank account. Can transfer money from Qantas Travel Card back to my bank account so why not St George!

David

DavidSydney, NSW

Waste of time and money

Used the debit card as hotel security holding in San Fran and I have to wait for 30 days to get the money back into my account.
Called St George and was told to get the hotel to send a FAX yes a FAX to St George to speed up the refund or wait 30 days.
I had an email from the hotel but St George will not accept an email
I was told a third party and not St George handles the transaction

Anon

Anon

Absolutely dreadful- avoid!

I had problem after problem with this card. Whenever I tried to make an overseas withdrawal (the whole purpose of having the card is for situations like this), it would get blocked “for security reasons.” I would then have to phone St George from overseas (it’s not a free call, either), and wait on hold for up to 15 minutes to unblock the card. One particularly ludicrous time, the person at the call centre told me I would have to come into a branch and show ID to unblock the card. For god’s sake, I was OVERSEAS! I couldn’t just go to a St George branch. Luckily, I had another bank account, because otherwise, I would have been completely without money.

Lost money and wasted my time

Extremely disappointed. St George failed to tell me it wasn’t even working when I had already activated it prior to going overseas and converted money on it. Then I had to convert the money back from USD to AUD and lost money. Man I spoke to for help was argumentative and unhelpful. Never use again

Ema M.

Ema M.Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Very disappointed

Haven't left Australia yet and already unhappy with the card. Sorry to say St George has been deceptive in their promotion of this card. $A500 only converted to 263 Euros, that's 10 cents lower than the exchange rate equivalent. To then change it back to Aussie dollars, within 5 minutes, I would have received $A465, that's a loss of $35 in 5 minutes. Performed these transactions in the branch and was advised that "that's how the stock market works."
Will be emptying it out and not reloading - rip off.
I have been a customer with St George for decades, very disappointing.

Jackie

JackieCentral West, NSW

Look for a card elsewhere- AWFUL

St.George Global Currency Card

This card isn’t supported in Vietnam. Loaded money to card and will take ten days to get back. Where does it sit for ten days?
Though card was linked to st george bank

Matthew D.

Matthew D.South East Queensland, QLD

Wouldn’t give me a card unless I opened an account

John and Sue

John and SueVictoria

Travel Cards

Used this in Hawaii and also Thailand. Had no problems and it worked fine everywhere.Installing the travel card app was painful but excellent once done.

BettyBoop51Canberra 2600, ACT

Good for purpose

We used a global currency card on a recent trip to Japan. In view of the negative reviews it had received, I had had misgivings about whether or not it would work, but fortunately there was no problem. Having said that, we used it only at post offices in Tokyo and Kyoto, and just one store (to see if it would be accepted, and it was), for a purchase worth about $A60. I liked the fact that we were able to load it up while the exchange rate was quite good. Also, we were given a second card, which would have been handy had we lost or mislaid the first one.(Different pins for both cards; some might not like the hassle, but I like the extra security) We'll definitely take it on our next overseas trip.

Edwina

Edwina

Completely Useless

Loaded up the card with US dollars. Ensured I knew the logins & passwords. Could not use the card at all!!! Not to tap, enter a PIN to purchase, not to sign for a purchaw and could not withdraw from an ATM!!! Plus the customer service number didn’t work either! I had to withdraw cash from my St George credit card. This morning I called Customer Service and they have refunded the interest on cash advances back to my credit card. I have converted the US dollars to AUD and just went to an ATM here in Sydney and still can’t access the money! Bloody frustrating!

Mj123

Mj123

Joke of a card

Firstly, if you load 1000 dollars your available balance will immediately show $920 available. So in order to avoid the large fee you are to spend it at converted currency. This is difficult to do when they take 30 days to return funds that are held by hotels or car rentals etc which I would think is a pretty common thing to do overseas . Because of this hold, I was unable to spend my converted currency overseas and now I will be charge the 80 dollars. ALL ST GEORGES FAULT.
oh and extremely rude and unhelpful customer service.

kylie5454

kylie5454Newcastle, NSW

Easy to load and go

Jim1

Jim1Sydney, NSW

Unable to purchase online, unable to payWave/tap, have to sign (not PIN) for almost all transactions

Violet

VioletSydney

Useless

Currently in Chile. Does not work for transactions in shops; only works at ATMs which defeats the purpose for me as I did not want to carry large amounts of cash or go to the ATM all the time. Called the "customer service" line and it was the opposite of helpful. She was very condescending and offered no advice - saying just try again (which I did without any success by the way). Don't waste any time on this product. Just use your normal card.

Julian S

Julian SSpringwood

Don't bother with these cards

Jess

JessMelbourne

Don’t waste your time

If I could give zero stars, I would.
Currency exchange rates are rubbish and nothing but trouble using the card while overseas.

Rip off

This card works okay, but is a complete rip off. I would of saved money if I had just used my normal credit card. Don't recommend. The normal exchange rate for $1000 aud right now equals $797 usd, yet only $761 was loaded onto my card.

Jack

Jack

Does not work

Live and work in Russia. Ordered this card to use here and had it linked to my bank of Melbourne account. Does not work online does not work in Russia, loaded with funds and i have no way to access the money on the card. Don't bother unless you want frustration and anger in your life.

Exchange rate is a ripoff

Card works well however the actual exchange rate you receive when you load it and unload is much worse for you when advertised. You will lose about 8% on each transaction. Also when you close the card after your trip they say it will take up to 10 days to get your money. Not good enough. Avoid any loadable card and use your credit card.