Stihl 009 L MiniBoss

Stihl 009 L MiniBoss

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

3.8
  • Safety
BbrrrrSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fussy, but gets the job done well!

Epic saw bought mid 80s most powerful little saw I’ve ever owned! Use it in our current tree lopping business along with a husky 268. Cuts gum well but burns out on hard wood (as a small saw would). If you work it hard and shut it off it will become extremely difficult to start and must have full tank to start first time of the day.

Jack Croydon
Jack CroydonGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Still 009

Bought this saw in 1989 bests saw I’ve owned regular servicing right fuel no worries. Clearing fence lines chopping firewood great for camping fits in my toolbox. Happy 30th birthday.

Purchased in March 1989 for $300.00.

Getting parts

If you own one get rid of it before something breaks.....They are not making parts for it anymore. My handle broke and I cannot find one for my 009L . I cannot recommend this manufacturer. I have another Stihl model 12 that they quit making parts for it as well. There will be no more stihl products in my shops.

Date PurchasedFeb 2012
Petrol Chainsaws

Find out how Stihl 009 L MiniBoss compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

Have owned and used for over 25 years

I don't remember when I purchased my stihl 009L (some time in the 80's), but I have worked it, every year since. I have only changed spark plugs, guide bars and chains. I clean the air filter on a regular bases. I recommend this brand to anyone. This is the saw I cut up most of my fire wood with. This site requires you pick a purchase date, but only goes back to 1997.

Date PurchasedJan 1997
Ronnix1960
Ronnix1960Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Best little chainsaw.

I have used this chainsaw since 1985, and it has never let me down, I have used it on some huge tree's and logs while out camping, and it does a great job, the last time that I had it serviced was 1988, and its still running strong, I would never use any other chainsaw 10/10.

Bobfixer
Bobfixershinners shoot

Ol' faithful!

See my entries for Stihl MS211C and Ryobi RCS4640N where I have so much trouble with the Stihl I have trashed it! I had my 009L waiting for attention. The screws for the muffler had worked loose and I need to spend time to resecure it. Did so today - maybe 5hrs including a clean, chain sharpen and draining and refilling fuel. Should have done it ages ago. Took a little while to get it running - not been run for 15mths or so.
I now have a working saw again! Yippeeeee!

PS anyone know where I can get an illustrated parts manual? Most I can find are for the 009 which is not the same.
Thx

Two small, easy to fix issues. Excellent saw otherwise.

Under the wafer "air filter" there are two fuel lines...one is a return & one is the main fuel line. The main fuel line (black) gets pinched on top of the return line, which can cause it to "stall" or be stubborn to start. Simply push the return line down a little & it frees up the main fuel line & alleviates the flaw...simple fix. Buy a premium spark plug, too, as I have found the stock plug can lack good spark. Sooo...for 5 bucks & a 30 second surgery, you have an awesome small saw. I got mine for $30 at a garage sale with under 10 minutes of use...it looks brand new. I bought it thinking there was something really wrong with it & discovered the easy fixes...it runs like a top now.

wez
wezAU

poor saw

Of the 5 stihls we used this was the smallest and always the worst, only had enough power for very light cutting and if you put it down for 10 minutes it needed choking to restart(several pulls to start) so I bought a small poulan which did not have this problem and was lighter and cut better.The stihl was reasonably reliable and would probably last well
light
to Hard to start and underpowered

corey86_09
corey86_09

This is a great chainsaw for camping, 4wding and backyard use. Is small enough to take anywhere. I know several people with tree lopping businesses that use this saw and recommended it to me.
Great portable chainsaw, very powerful for its size. Goes everywhere in the 4wd or camper trailer. Have owned ours for over two years and wouldn't think of using anything else. Never met anything it couldn't handle yet.
ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!!