Stihl FS 45 C-E

6 questions from our users

Diana R.

Diana R.asked

FS 45 C-E

What is the difference of the fs45 and the fs45c?

Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Easy start system on fs45c, no need to pull heaps of cord, just short pulls on starting cord, more gentle recoil on spring in recoil starter. If you follow instructions on starting it is very easy

Steve

Steveasked

FS 45 C-E

What size cord to use on a fs45c ?

Jimbo

Bunnings sells cords cheap, take your one down and buy

Selina H

Selina Hasked

FS 45 C-E

Would like to know correct draining of fuel out of this Stihl 45c so can put fresh fuel in due to its old fuel sitting there for long time in the plastic fuel container part and want to give everything a good clean is there a video on how to do it please as want to know I’m doing it right?

I am not sure mate I have never had to drain the tank as mine is always getting used so the fuel doesn’t get a chance to get stale but I am certain if you use dr. Google you find the best way

Jimbo

Juts turn it upside down and tip it out. Make sure you pump the primer many times to clear the carb system out. Then fill with fresh fuel and make sure you put some stabil fuel preservative in the new mix as well as 2 stroke oil to clear out the system.

Lisa

Lisaasked

FS 45 C-E

Is the Stihl FS 45C 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Jarvis
Jarvis

The FS 45C is a 2 stroke

IanKen
IanKen

The Stihl is a 2-stroke motor. The Honda is a 4-stroke. As 2-stroke motors use and oil/petrol mix maintenance is very simple. However, I've found spark plugs need to be changed fairly regularly (or at least cleaned).

The 4-stroke has an oil sump which needs to be drained and refilled at regular intervals. Spark plugs tend to last longer as they don't get fouled by oil ( which is necessary in the 2-stroke).

I've found that 4-strokes tend to be easier to start, and you don't end up smelling of oily petrol as you do with 2-strokes. But you do have more maintenance and must check oil levels in the sump prior to use. Failure to have sufficient oil will cause the engine to sieze quickly.

A Stihl mechanic told me that he uses twice the ratio of oil in the fuel than recommended by the 2-stroke manufacturer and gets much longer life from his machines. I'm not sure how true this is because I've always strictly adhered to the manufacturers recommendations.

Galaxy
Galaxy

Yes, it is 2 -stroke and I frankly prefer it that way.

Gregor Eupeneasked

FS 45 C-E

Can you convert your Stihl FS 45 C to the Kombi? Is it a straightforward matter of just buying the parts? I want to use the lawn edger on my older model Stihl and thought maybe someone has done the conversion.

Jamsession
Jamsession

I don't know Gregor. I'm planning to give my new FS 45 to an unsuspecting relative! I'll then buy a Ryobi or similar.

Gas
Gas

Don't by a Ryobi, when they begin to play up after a very short time. Don't bother trying to fix it. I'm looking at reviews trying to see what I can get to replace the Ryobi I have.

Gregor Eupene

The Stihl FS 45C is almost 12 years old and going strong, I found that before putting it away, you just had to empty the fuel from the tank and then run it so the remaining fuel was used. Have not had an issue with it since, so if you are on a good thing then upgrade it. Can anyone answering just stick to the topic please.

martinuzagreb

martinuzagrebasked

What is fuel ratio mix?

Zac Burgess
Zac Burgess

50:1 is what stihl recommends. Make sure you use genuine stihl oil or any other top quality oil or it will smoke.

See all Stihl FS 45 / FS 45R / FS 45 C-E questions