Simple to operate
Suitable for intense gardening
- FS 55 R-CE
- Verified purchase
my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.
from day one it has been hard to start. After its firsts check over at the dealer I mentioned it but they couldn't fault it.
Still hard to start 3 out of 4 times ( I only use it 3-4 times a year.) At its first service I mentioned it again.. they still couldn't fault it as apparently it worked fine for them.
Last year I had enough and took it to them to sort out the starting issue..
Got told I needed a new carby! It has hardly been used, still under warranty but I had to pay $150 for a new carby! I told them not to worry about it and took it h...
Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $378.00.
I like Stihl, but this is a dud.
I have a Stihl chainsaw which is indestructible, the whipper snipper on the other hand has been dreadful. Always hard to start, i clean or replace the carbie to no avail and it now needs a new carburetor after about 20 hours of use.
Purchased in February 2017 for $370.00.
Very difficult to start
This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.
Purchased in May 2016 for $350.00.
Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers
Know better, choose better.
Upgrade made the grade
This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).
Purchased in January 2020.
Questions & Answers
Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???
How much is it?
- The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
- The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
- It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
- A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
- It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.
Points of praise:
- Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
- They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.
Something to consider:
- Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
|Category||Petrol Whipper Snippers||Petrol Whipper Snippers|
|Handle Type||Loop Handle|
|Engine Displacement||27.2 cc|
|Cutting Head Type||Line|
|Features||Easy / Quick Start|
|Manufacturer Warranty||2 year(s)||2 year(s)|
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.