Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE (page 2 of 3)

FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

If it works for me, it will work for anyone

I am a bad gardener. I thrash all my tools until they fall apart. This is still going well after years of heavy use and no maintenance. This is the first petrol trimmer I have owned. Even in a Canberra winter, it starts OK. Recommended for small to medium gardens.

Date PurchasedSept 2014

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Please think twice before you buy.

Very hard to start. If you use weekend to weekend, then it will take 30 or so minutes of back breaking effort to start. I do not recommend this product. It may be good for professionals but not for household use. Do not listen to sales people and others as after two three years, there won't be any service.

Date PurchasedMar 2012
Bradj

BradjHunter Region, NSW

Worst one I have ever owned.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Scotty

ScottyCairns Qld

Very disappointed!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Diggz24

Diggz24Stittsville

Do not buy STIHL

Bought a new trimmer. A week later it wouldn't run. Long story short I've brought in to 3 different places and had to pay out of pocket not covered under warranty because they don't know what's wrong each time and stihl has a policy not to replace units that don't work, what a joke.
Almost $300 for useless junk. If I can even save one person from making the same mistake I made then I'm glad to help. Buy almost any other brand guaranteed you'll get better customer service. NEVER AGAIN.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Galca

GalcaSydney, NSW

Don't Buy This Model

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Long term view of FS55

I've had my Stihl for probably 15 or more years. I dont use it very often but it works hard when I do. I bought most of the attachments that you can get for the straight shaft model, including metal blades for hacking through tough undergrowth. You cant get that from a cheapie from Bunnings. However.......... it is an expensive machine. Very very very. For private use, it's hardly justifiable. It has been fairly reliable. In fact, the carby appears to have got stuffed up after a long period of non-use. Replacement carbys on ebay cost $25 so it's no big deal. You decision should depend on how rich you are.

Raeles03

Raeles03Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Strong Machine

Recently purchased above model, pretty happy with the performance, not easy to start though,not bad on fuel, once started will go all day, took that stupid bar on the handle off as it keeps on hitting your thigh, also, this model you can put on a manual line feed, which saves wasting your line and gets rid of the worst invention of all time the idiotic bump feed, no more wack wack on the ground every time you need more line, just pull out twist and turn, pull ends and you have the right amount of line.

Stihl great after 4 summers.

Starts every time, feeds string really well and has plenty of power. I have 2 acres. About 20 trees and some bushes. And a large dog cage. It works great every time. And the string will last me halfway through the summer. Putting a new string on isn't too bad either. It's not too heavy especially with the strap that comes with it. FS 55R. STIHL.

Waste of time and money - rubbish!

Auto feed head useless, just spits out line and cuts it off. Rarely starts. Once it does start, it always conks out. This piece of junk has cost me thousands of dollars in lost revenue and time. Would never ever recommend a STIHL FS55R to anybody.
STIHL customer service does not exist in Australia, they don't wanna know.

bmorey

bmoreyVic, 3140

Workhorse

Martin

Martinyogimoose@aol.com

indestructable and enough power

I have had this FS55 for 10 years and have used it nearly every day for half that time and have found it to be ultra reliable and drama free for all of that time. I thought I would replace the spark plug after 10 years, but saw no improvement with a new plug. This thing just goes and goes. I have a maintenance business and have cleared numerous half acre blocks of tea tree and eucalypt sprouts etc with absolute ease. I do keep my equipment well serviced but this Stihl virtually works out to be free once you have done as much work as I have with this unit. Can't recommend enough.......it's the best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Considering it's small size it is a super star.

jpcntti

jpcnttiVictoria, 3770

It is a good model, time will tell if it is as durable as my older FS45

41.2South

41.2SouthTAS, 7275

Blackberry Smasher!

FS55C with handle bars and Stihl blade. Turns nasty blackberries into mulch with ease. Have never bothered with the line trimmer as the blade trims grass right up to my rabbit wire fence. Cuts thru small melaleuca stems with a couple of swiped. Ferns are doomed.
Love it!
Starts without issue. Wore out my last Poulan's clutch and the Stihl uses a different method.
Great service from the local dealer at Exeter, TAS.
reliable
choke lever plastic broke easily - local centre fixed it cheaply

crushedandsoggy

crushedandsoggyVictoria

Don't waste your money

excellent unit. very solid

Tossing up between a couple of manufacturers and decided to try Stihl. So far extremely happy. Starts after a couple of super easy pulls and the self feeding head is excellent and worked flawlessly. Did my whole front and back yard without stopping once and still have heaps of line left (in fact I don't think it fed any out at all, the Stihl line is very strong).

This brush cutter is excellent and everything works as it should with a real quality feel. Assuming good life from it I am going to Stihl for all my power tools!

Also comes with adapters for running blades. Can't wait for my grass to grow back now!
super easy to start. self feeding head is brilliant. quality feel of all components
Not enough grass left to cut

Peter Mc

Peter McAU

What I Expected

First trial today, found the trimmer easy to use, a fraction heavy on fuel but I think the fuel tank may be a smaller capacity to what my previous trimmer was.Coped with heavy going through thick growth. Seems good for first time owner of a Stihl. :) Agents service was a great experience, very helpful and friendly.
Light, easy to use, plenty of grunt for what I am looking for. (Maintain 1 acre - 4,000sq metres.
Nothing yet, just purchased today. You pay for what you get.

james1234567890

james1234567890AU

Not too bad, not worth the price...probably better with a 4-stroke

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked

FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

Carburettor assembly

Stihl happy
Stihl happy

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE