FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety
johnno

johnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

I like Stihl, but this is a dud.

I have a Stihl chainsaw which is indestructible, the whipper snipper on the other hand has been dreadful. Always hard to start, i clean or replace the carbie to no avail and it now needs a new carburetor after about 20 hours of use.

Purchased in February 2017 for $370.00.

Very difficult to start

This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.

Purchased in May 2016 for $350.00.

Georgie93

Georgie93AU

A good reason never to purchase Stihl products again.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a lemon. We had to take it back to the dealer as soon as we got it home, and they were less than sympathetic. It is impossible for me to start, and I have good upper body strength. My husband can only start it sometimes. And when it does start, it vibrates so much my hands are numb for an hour afterwards. Yes, we bought this product when it was placed on special, but surely it is reasonable to expect a basic level of product competence. If Stilh knew just how bad their product was, and I'm thinking that's why they put it on special, then it's pretty unethical of them to continue selling it to unaware customers. I note it's now discontinued. Wondering if any reviewers have heard back from Stihl?

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Don’t buy this what ever you do!!

I have had nothing but problems with this machine, it’s hard to start, line feeder is terrible.
Vibrates like hell (even though I’ve had it serviced by a Stihl dealer) stay clear of this product !! I paid $475 in 2016 thinking I’m buying a premium product, then in 2017 Stihl dropped the price to $370 !!! Why ??? Take a guess ?? I will never buy a Stihl product again....

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Don’t waste your money!

Avoid this machine! It is dreadful, truely dreadful. After owning it for 1 day I am taking it back mainly due to:
- being extremely difficult to start and when it does start it may just cut out as soon as you touch the throttle
- cuts out at random intervals and then will not start again
- feeder head chews through cord excessively

Ultimately I bought this as my first stihl producers and the product is unusable which is disappointing. I would never buy a stihl product again due to this experience.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Bradj

BradjHunter Region, NSW

Worst one I have ever owned.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Scotty

ScottyCairns Qld

Very disappointed!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Diggz24

Diggz24Stittsville

Do not buy STIHL

Bought a new trimmer. A week later it wouldn't run. Long story short I've brought in to 3 different places and had to pay out of pocket not covered under warranty because they don't know what's wrong each time and stihl has a policy not to replace units that don't work, what a joke.
Almost $300 for useless junk. If I can even save one person from making the same mistake I made then I'm glad to help. Buy almost any other brand guaranteed you'll get better customer service. NEVER AGAIN.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Galca

GalcaSydney, NSW

Don't Buy This Model

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Waste of time and money - rubbish!

Auto feed head useless, just spits out line and cuts it off. Rarely starts. Once it does start, it always conks out. This piece of junk has cost me thousands of dollars in lost revenue and time. Would never ever recommend a STIHL FS55R to anybody.
STIHL customer service does not exist in Australia, they don't wanna know.

crushedandsoggy

crushedandsoggyVictoria

Don't waste your money

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked

FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

Carburettor assembly

Stihl happy
Stihl happy

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE