FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety
Bobb09

Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Cannot get consistent performance out of this machine.

Purchased machine just over 12 months ago after using a Kawasaki-powered Spear & Jackson for 35 trouble-free years. I find this machine noisy, vibration prone and engine speed is inconsistent and hard to regulate. I had it serviced once, after telling the vendor my problem, they suggested my fuel was too old/too dirty etc. - I have been running 2-strokes for 55 years! I find I need to limit my brush-cutting to under 40 min. these symptoms become worse thereafter and the machine is virtually unusable.

Purchased in December 2019 at Marriots for $379.00.

JackoSouthern and Hills, SA

my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $378.00.

russy1

russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Ted

Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Maurice

Maurice

Most problematic machine i've encountered

Date PurchasedApr 2013
acerace

aceraceQld, 4521

Starting it. good luck

Have had the Stihl FS 55C for a year and a bit.The bump and run function is crap
Do not use the Stihl cutting Line (supplied). buy "JM pro diamond core" you will be stunned how good it is.Just need to trim the end that fits spool!! it outlasts the standard line 10+ times
The thing works great if you can start it .

Date PurchasedSept 2016
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Please think twice before you buy.

Very hard to start. If you use weekend to weekend, then it will take 30 or so minutes of back breaking effort to start. I do not recommend this product. It may be good for professionals but not for household use. Do not listen to sales people and others as after two three years, there won't be any service.

Date PurchasedMar 2012
Peter Mc

Peter McAU

What I Expected

First trial today, found the trimmer easy to use, a fraction heavy on fuel but I think the fuel tank may be a smaller capacity to what my previous trimmer was.Coped with heavy going through thick growth. Seems good for first time owner of a Stihl. :) Agents service was a great experience, very helpful and friendly.
Light, easy to use, plenty of grunt for what I am looking for. (Maintain 1 acre - 4,000sq metres.
Nothing yet, just purchased today. You pay for what you get.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

james1234567890

james1234567890AU

Not too bad, not worth the price...probably better with a 4-stroke

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked

FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

Carburettor assembly

Stihl happy
Stihl happy

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE