FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety

Can’t see what people are complaining about. This works beautifully.

Purchased at Stihl Dealer.

Johnno

JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great machines!

I'm not sure why so many negatives about this snipper. I am a commercial operator and I give these machines an absolute caning, with little or no servicing and I have two of these. Cuts well, I use only still 2.4mm line without any issues. Do take a little bit to start sometimes, harder if have been heated by use often, but nothing major. Does struggled well with initial throttling after starting, but keeps going after persistence. Auto line feed is a godsend for me as a commercial operator and it works well most of time, besides when it gets a little tangled. Never want to go back to the dreaded bump feed heads....paid $350.00 each for my two fs55's and worth every cent for the money they've earnt me in my business....

Purchased in March 2018 for $350.00.

russy1

russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Ted

Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
S.B.

S.B.Broussard

Good product

This thing works great I don’t see where all the bad reviews come from maybe it’s operator error yea sometimes it needs maintenance but all in all it’s a great trimmer I’ve had to clean out the muffler once dues tomit clogging up cleaned the carb once due to it gumming up that was my fault I really like the easy start feature barely have to pull the rope

Date PurchasedJan 2010

A good hard machine

If you replace the auto line head properly it lasts for ages, and that’s using the same stihl string it came with. No parts necessary, just fuel and oil.
It is hard to start till you work out how. (Heads up, turn it on, set the throttle with the lock, make sure you have choke on. Pump the primer 3-5 times. “Look for fuel in the bulb”, then crank it till it first fires, turn off choke, then a couple more cranks it will spit into action. Mine never fails after I worked out what it wanted to start.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

If it works for me, it will work for anyone

I am a bad gardener. I thrash all my tools until they fall apart. This is still going well after years of heavy use and no maintenance. This is the first petrol trimmer I have owned. Even in a Canberra winter, it starts OK. Recommended for small to medium gardens.

Date PurchasedSept 2014
jpcntti

jpcnttiVictoria, 3770

It is a good model, time will tell if it is as durable as my older FS45

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Peter Mc

Peter McAU

What I Expected

First trial today, found the trimmer easy to use, a fraction heavy on fuel but I think the fuel tank may be a smaller capacity to what my previous trimmer was.Coped with heavy going through thick growth. Seems good for first time owner of a Stihl. :) Agents service was a great experience, very helpful and friendly.
Light, easy to use, plenty of grunt for what I am looking for. (Maintain 1 acre - 4,000sq metres.
Nothing yet, just purchased today. You pay for what you get.

james1234567890

james1234567890AU

Not too bad, not worth the price...probably better with a 4-stroke

bear1973

bear1973AU

Good

Big fan of stihl product & this one is no different - easy to start & very powerful - much better than the cheap [censored word removed] you find in some retailers. Pity you cant buy a replacement line-cartridge, which will make replacing the cord easier. Make sure you get the mix right with the fuel, otherwise may be expensive to fix. Should last 25 yrs if looked after!
Easy to start especially when run-in, smooth operation, fuel use is ok unless reved hard, very powerful & snooth engine, durable & tough
replacing the line-cord can be tricky but visit your local dealer & they will help you change over

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked

FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

Carburettor assembly

Stihl happy
Stihl happy

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE